• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I feel like almost every Sony studio that had a big release mid gen onwards are being told Hey these are your target specs, go ham, to ensure they get the same consistency going into a new generation.

I think there will be a lot of big games coming from Sony at a very early rate in comparison to previous generations, even though their message so far has been to the hardcore. But that's also exactly who they said they were targeting for this coming gen.

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Uncharted 4 is four years old? That's what I decided to google first to check out Sony game dates.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I'd guess that's because any major title that began development in 2018 or later is gonna be a PS5 title, and they haven't blown that door open yet. They had a great first party lineup scheduled for this year so I don't think fans are disappointed in the late gen offering

Nov 14, 2017
I would agree this is probably true. I assume most Sony studios pivoted to developing for PS5 (probably not the exact specs but in that ballpark) right around then.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They just announce a lot too early in 2016

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
they use announcements to sell consoles. the console their unannounced games are being made for isn't even on sale yet.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's crazy that even just last gen we had entire trilogies and now 4-5 years between entries is the new normal. Games are much longer and deeper to compensate at least.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
That's why they stopped doing events. They kinda blew their load a little early the first couple years and didn't have any new big games to show. Hopefully they'll hold off on showing more games until they're closer to release this gen. Anything more than a year or two out is too long.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Sony thankfully announced (And released) a ton of games over these past few years. It seemed like around 2018 they thought "Hey, it's taken a while to make games now and our current titles in the pipeline are doing well, let's hold back on announcements until we can get things ready for PS5".

When PS5 gets more reveals, they will hopefully have enough content to cover the airwaves for years to come.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
People complained so they changed, starting with Ghosts of Tsushima.

PlayStation exec: "Sometimes we announced games too early"

PlayStation Worldwide Studios SVP Michael Denny on why Sony took as long as it did to announce Sucker Punch's new IP, Ghost of Tsushima

"I think we're learning and a lot of publishers are learning ... there is a right time to announce games," Denny explained.

"In the past, I think it's fair to say sometimes we announced games too early. And this is such a great project for Sucker Punch. It's a game they've always really wanted to make themselves. And I think it's the right time to announce that, and they've been working on that game for a long time now. There is great [playable version of the game] already. So we're just excited to let everybody know about it."

Last edited:

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
They just announce a lot too early in 2016

Exactly this. They even came out and said they made mistakes by announcing games too soon and would hold back in future, the lean few years we've had is just the natural balancing of that new policy decision. On top of them wanting a bit of secrecy for PS5 titles.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they literally posted a photo of a controller and the hype exploded. They can release news when they want, do people think they don't have marketers and researchers who know when to release information? Same for Nintendo

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Sony has smashed it this generation. But they've also announced a lot of games early and coasted on the hype.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Get ready for the ps5 announce to have games you won't even play until 2022 fall at the earliest

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that even just last gen we had entire trilogies and now 4-5 years between entries is the new normal. Games are much longer and deeper to compensate at least.

Mass Effect
Dead Space
Uncharted
Bioshock
Little Big Planet

Yea pretty crazy how many trilogies we had last gen.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's strategy this generation was to announce everything as soon as possible to build up hype and people bought into it.

The Year of Dreams 2015 had 2/3 of the games release over 4 years later.

Expect a ton of announcements upfront for PS5 which take quite a while to come to fruition and then a quiet second half of its life.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With PS5 around the corner I dont see this as a problem. This concern can only be validated after we see what the launch lineup looks like.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because the announce things too early

FFVII just came out, TLOUII was going to in two months now it's delayed. They were each announced over 3 years ago. Same with GOT.

Part of it's also that they gotta announce PS5 first before the games coming to it

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping that's cuz they're keeping it under wraps. Knock it off with this telling us about games that aren't coming out for 5 years stuff.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am salivating for big Series X and PS5 game reveals. Give me an hour long internet showcase! I have nothing else! I watched real housewives for crying out loud.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
Stuff was announced way too early (TLOU2 revealed 2016 - releasing 2020) and they've also got a new console releasing either this year or the next so they're probably holding onto the big game announcements for that.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Thank goodness for that, I really hope to fuck we don't have another scenario where we get marquee games like GT6 which released on PS3 after PS4 was released.

It's been a long time but it also means it's time for a lot of their studios to show their cards. Can't wait to see Horizon 2 from GG.

Oct 24, 2019
Ok??!?
Get ready for god of war 2, spider man 2 and the next naught dog game all to be teased and not seeing the light of day for the next two years.

Sony Santa Monica and Naughty Dog are not two of the developers I listed....

Also, I never said that Insomniac's next game would necessarily be Spidey 2. Insomniac is one of the most insanely productive studios in the industry. I could easily see them having a new Ratchet & Clank ready for launch, then Spidey 2 in 2021 or 2022

Edit:
I think the PS5 launch announcements will look like this:
Bluepoint -- Demon's Souls Remake
Guerilla -- Horizon 2
Japan Studio -- Silent Hill
Insomniac -- Ratchet & Clank

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No need when you have such a great line-up of first party games. They announced a bunch of stuff earlier than they probably should have.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Hopefully this signals the end of them announcing shit way too early. I wish they and MS would adopt Nintendo's method a bit more and
announce closer to release.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ok??!?
Get ready for god of war 2, spider man 2 and the next naught dog game all to be teased and not seeing the light of day for the next two years.
Idk if that will be the case for spiderman or gow. GoW had no dlc at all and they have a clear vison of what they are going forward with. Same with spiderman, but hard to say if a new ratchet and clank is in the mix too.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Sony Santa Monica and Naughty Dog are not two of the developers I listed....

Also, I never said that Insomniac's next game would necessarily be Spidey 2. Insomniac is one of the most insanely productive studios in the industry. I could easily see them having a new Ratchet & Clank ready for launch, then Spidey 2 in 2021 or 2022

Edit:
I think the PS5 launch announcements will look like this:
Bluepoint -- Demon's Souls Remake
Guerilla -- Horizon 2
Japan Studio -- Silent Hill
Insomniac -- Ratchet & Clank
Omg...you really need to reread the original post you quoted of mine.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 is having an amazing final year and PS5 will start getting big games quicker.

Good times.