• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I am worried the accessories plus games will put it over 1k.
PS5 - $450-500
Headset - $100
Charging station - $50 tops
Plus hopefully around 5 - 6 games @ $60 ea
6% tax easily puts it over $1010
If you're worried then maybe have a little patience. You don't have to buy every single item up front if cost is a concern.

Are you trading another console? Any backlog of good games?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's headphones aren't cheap but Im still interested in the Pulse3D ($150?) at launch. Spiderman should sound amazing with 3D audio.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I really like the controller the more I see it. The more I see of the headset, the less I want it. Looks like the same plastic junk they've been selling for years. Only having 12 hours of battery life is ridiculous. I'll just plug a good pair of headphones into the controller along with a Boompro. Hopefully they've improved the audio streaming quality to the controller.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
PS5 - $450-500
Headset - $100
I never understood bringing in a big "haul" on day one? Why buy 5 or 6 games instead of 1-2 and finish them? Why get all accessories instead of something you know your going to use right away? Why not trade in the old platform and cut into half the cost to upgrade?

No way I'm spending anywhere close to a grand this holiday.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
PS5 - $450-500
Headset - $100

I'm expecting PS+/Now to supply me with a few PS5 games and Astrobot comes bundled in as well so I'm most likely just buying Miles and the docking station at launch.

Waiting on reviews for those Pulse headphones, the hinges on the Golds were notoriously bad.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I already have $1k saved up, I started last year. I can hold off,also I do not trade in consoles or games. I have a special account for my gaming habits.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Welp the battery on my 2013 Sony gold 3D headset is losing charge rather quickly.

Looks like I'm in for that sexy headset.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I already have $1k saved up, I started last year. I can hold off,also I do not trade in consoles or games. I have a special account for my gaming habits.
Oh, I'm in the same boat, lol.

I'll probably get everything except the remote. I will be getting an extra Dual Sense controller tho.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm gonna miss my PS4 remote control, it is simply the best one I've ever received. I absolutely hate the simplistic remote design, I really don't understand it.

4333000_sd.jpg

It's great! Works with my receiver, TV and PS4. It's a little slow, but I love having the options for multiple inputs. Not just "PAUSE AND PLAY"

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 - $450-500
Headset - $100

This is what you call wasting money.

Get the PS5 and a game or two and that's it.

You can get the rest later, cheaper.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I never understood bringing in a big "haul" on day one? Why buy 5 or 6 games instead of 1-2 and finish them? Why get all accessories instead of something you know your going to use right away? Why not trade in the old platform and cut into half the cost to upgrade?

Yeah, at launch the most I'd get would be the console, 2 games and maybe the headset (if it sounds like it's worth it from impressions, if not I'll just use my current one in the meantime). An extra controller and the charging station can wait till the next 2 months.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm gonna hold off on all accessories. I wanna wait til PSVR 2 comes out so I can get the controller dock + headset mount.

I might buy a second controller but otoh I kinda wanna wait to see what kind of color options we get in the future.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 - $450-500
Headset - $100
You don't need the headset, charging station, and 5-6 games at launch. And spend less on candles.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah there's no way I'm buying 5-6 games at launch lol. 2-3 max and rest are upgraded PS4 titles for me.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Crazy how I am being told how to spend my money. I assure you all my Bill's are paid. I don't NEED all those accessories for sure. I also don't NEED a PS5. It is a WANT, not a NEED. However, I am also responsible enough to realize I don't need to purchase 5 - 6 games. I most likely won't, however I saved up enough that I could if I wanted too.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Wait... The camera is gonna support green screen!?
PS4 supports green/blue chroma key background removal.

Broadcasting your gameplay | PlayStation®4 User's Guide

PlayStation®4 Official User's Guide. Explains how to use the PS4™ system.

Just checked and the other system software 7.51 camera PIP options are position, size, flip horizontally, background (square, circle, auto cut out or chroma key), effect (filters), brightness, contrast, transparency, find face (detects face once and zooms in)

The scanlines filter looks a bit like the MGS codec!

somebody reassure me that greenscreening someone while streaming takes almost no CPU - because surely that'd need to be permanently reserved for the OS just in case

Any close-ups of the charging dock, or bottom of the dual sense? Hopefully they're easier to dock than the DS4 charging station which can be fiddly
There's a pic of the charging contacts on DS (not dock) but I can't easily link. The contact pads are closer to the surface, larger and turned 90deg so look like they should make much easier drop-on dock contact.

did the last camera have a light on it? wonder why this one does?
Yes, the red PS4 camera LED lights only when the camera's actively capturing A/V.

The DualSense has a small glow in the bottom middle of the touchpad which has a similar form to the PS5 camera light so I think it could also be a simple privacy indicator for DS mic. mute status.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
there's a dot on the back of the controller. is that where we blow in the back hole for added immersion

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Feel physically responsive feedback to your in-game actions with dual actuators which replace traditional rumble motors. In your hands, these dynamic vibrations can simulate the feeling of everything from environments to the recoil of different weapons.
I don't think 'environments' alone is a good example here, previously used examples like sand and ice were much clearer.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I really hope they make things work with this PSVR camera situation.
I bought mine on Canadá and I honestly have no idea how will I make to get this adapter here in Brasil :/

If worst comes to worst, PM me and we can figure something out. I'm in the US, should be compatible.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna miss my PS4 remote control, it is simply the best one I've ever received. I absolutely hate the simplistic remote design, I really don't understand it.

4333000_sd.jpg

It's great! Works with my receiver, TV and PS4. It's a little slow, but I love having the options for multiple inputs. Not just "PAUSE AND PLAY"
I see why it happened looking at how busy that remote was but this new one is pretty damn simplistic lol

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's s good looking controller but damn do I wish it had paddles. I just can't go back to clicking sticks.

Have they said anything about the compatibility of that accessory with this controller?

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how I am being told how to spend my money. I assure you all my Bill's are paid. I don't NEED all those accessories for sure. I also don't NEED a PS5. It is a WANT, not a NEED. However, I am also responsible enough to realize I don't need to purchase 5 - 6 games. I most likely won't, however I saved up enough that I could if I wanted too.
Do whatever you want, and congrats that you can. I am planning on getting the system and maybe 1-2 games. Saving now.

but I will stress that the headset and charging station especially are candidates for sales shortly after launch. November? Probably not tho I could see both be discounted a little bit for December sales.

but I imagine in January or Feb the dock will at least have a few sales at retailers and wouldn't be shocked if the headset has at least a few $20 off sales by March - April. So if you wait you might save some good money.

and there will a million knock off charging docks for probably $5-$10 probably 1-2 months after launch so you can always hold out. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a USBC dock that already works with it or that PowerA will have a cheaper one at launch

Oct 29, 2017
There's got to be something big they're not sharing since they haven't shown the back of the console. Maybe those patents about adding another GPU or APU has something to do with this.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you input the konami code on the Dual Sense page it shows you a quick shot of a the controller with built in buttons on the back.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
I reckon the extra wide groove around the rear DualSense mic. is so you can more easily feel if you're touching and covering it. Adds another unique visual feature for the online manual to identify the reset button so you don't stick a pointy thing in the wrong hole too..

If the patent showing the mic. array is accurate to the final design, the forward and rear facing microphones sit back to back deep in the middle of the controller with a tunnel to the exterior holes.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
they need to clarify whether the new camera can be used with PSVR or must the ps4 camera be used.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get a green screen for all of my 3 followers on Twitch lol

In all seriousness, that's pretty cool.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely love if this PS5 could replace my NVIDIA Shield TV setup. I want up to date apps, 4K options, HDR and DV, snappy interface is probably a given considering the SSD, 5.1 capability and running PLEX off it.

Not trying to put the focus away from games, but that media remote seems so hype and if I can use one platform to watch everything without sacrifice, it would be a dream come true.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Adding to my theory that the smaller glint under the touchpad's a separate LED (possibly showing mic. mute status), in the dock the lightbars are orange to show charging, with no glint under the touchpad.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I hated how it looked like there was a black strip going down the insides of the grips but seeing what the whole thing actually looks like... kinda makes it better? Looks less awkward, at least. Bit of a shame they've completely gotten rid of the light bar at the back though, gonna miss the old thing. I liked how it looked and never minded the battery issues. At least they've found a neat way to keep the lights. Looks pretty slick too.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Loving the Astro Bot theme of the PS5 and it's accesrories. Astro Bot is definitely a refreshing mascot for Playstation.

Oct 29, 2017
This is a good point, also will it work w/ inevitable PSVR2.
I have a theory that the new camera will work with current and PSVR2 tracking. If I'm right the camera will track the headset, and the headset will have cameras built in to track the controller eliminating tracking issues when you're not facing the camera. It makes sense if you think about it... the lights are on face of the controller.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I would absolutely love if this PS5 could replace my NVIDIA Shield TV setup. I want up to date apps, 4K options, HDR and DV, snappy interface is probably a given considering the SSD, 5.1 capability and running PLEX off it.

Not trying to put the focus away from games, but that media remote seems so hype and if I can use one platform to watch everything without sacrifice, it would be a dream come true.

OT.
i have a shield tv as well and i think it's a waste to use PS5 as a media player as the shield tv has so much more option (being android tv and all) in terms of media playback, less power consumption plus the crazy amount of emulators available for it. PS1/2 bc not available for PS5? No problem! Shield TV basically solved everything

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I still think the console looks dumb af, but the controllers have really grown on me - especially with that 360 view.

Maybe it's only a matter of time before I like the console design.