• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Fuuuuuck, this thread be like...

FrankObeseCoral-size_restricted.gif

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget cost them all jobs and their bonuses

best is that you know this threads lenght will overtake the thread about TLOU2 crunch horrible conditions in a mere few hours.
Some of the reactions here are intense. I'm sure they'll get appropiate punishment. But stuff like suggesting releasing their info publically... WTF

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Whether or not the leak affects sales will be difficult to prove. I don't know what metric they could use, has there been any precedent for something like this where a company took legal action against a leaker on the basis of lost sales?

That's the problem with these things. No matter how the game performs, it's literally impossible to tell the effect.

The game could sell 20M copies but maybe it would have sold 30M.
Maybe it bombs and sells 2M copies but it would have sold only 2.1M without the leaks. Or maybe it sells more with the leaks because people are so blown away by what happens (note: i haven't read any spoilers, i have no idea what happens).

it's literally impossible to say.

What we can say is that it's almost a guarantee that it will affect sales. How and to what magnitude...that's literally impossible without a reset of the universe.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game REALLY triggered the anti-LGBT+ scumbags huh? Ever since Naughty Dog revealed that trailer with the kiss between Ellie and Dina, the homophobes have spread like a plague, endlessly trying to create bad press for this game, be it with fake leaks on Twitter or even just straight up anti-LGBT propaganda on Twitter. Imagine hating the existence of a game so much that you're willing to go through all this in hopes that you can get the game to "fail." Congrats on giving the game even more publicity to increase sales even further, morons, especially now that Sony revealed what really happened. You mad?

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you privy to ND bonus milestones? Has there ever been a game leaked this much in the past to prove it wont affect sales at all? There will be people who dont buy the game becuase of the massive leaks , how many is the question.
Hopefully the attention helps boost sales.

Maybe not in the game industry but leaks have happened in a medium where its kinda a bigger deal and they've still gone onto record sales

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Just because something was very successful doesn't mean it wasn't materially impacted.

If a person has 10 million dollars and you steal $100,000 from them, they still are a millionaire. That doesn't mean they weren't impacted.

Impacted != materially Impacted
Anyway, we can argue about this until the cows come home, because there's literally no way to prove or disprove it one way or the other, but I really highly doubt any significant number of people who would have bought the game will not buy it now because they saw two cutscenes.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
The game will sell well. A lot of people will enjoy it.

Leakers are dumb. People who intentionally and maliciously spoil stories have serious shortcomings, and fortunately things are pretty respectful with regards to those boundaries here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This game REALLY triggered the anti-LGBT+ scumbags huh? Ever since Naughty Dog revealed that trailer with the kiss between Ellie and Dina, the homophobes have spread like a plague, endlessly trying to create bad press for this game, be it with fake leaks on Twitter or even just straight up anti-LGBT propaganda on Twitter. Imagine hating the existence of a game so much that you're willing to go through all this in hopes that you can get the game to "fail." Congrats on giving the game even more publicity to increase sales even further, morons, especially now that Sony revealed what really happened. You mad?
This shit is everywhere seen alot of today under ghosts of tsushima twitter posts.

May 9, 2018
Dammit, do I have to make a thread on why NDAs are a thing?

I'm going to have to make a thread about why NDAs are a thing and I won't be happy about it

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.
Holy shit if true.

Sonys incompetence levels are off the chart

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's the problem with these things. No matter how the game performs, it's literally impossible to tell the effect.

The game could sell 20M copies but maybe it would have sold 30M.
Maybe it bombs and sells 2M copies but it would have sold only 2.1M without the leaks. Or maybe it sells more with the leaks because people are so blown away by what happens (note: i haven't read any spoilers, i have no idea what happens).

it's literally impossible to say.

What we can say is that it's almost a guarantee that it will affect sales. How and to what magnitude...that's literally impossible without a reset of the universe.

I'm pretty sure trolls are actually increasing the awareness of this game at this point. Lots of totally unrelated places get a lot of "tlou" keyword namedrops.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Are you privy to ND bonus milestones? Has there ever been a game leaked this much in the past to prove it wont affect sales at all? There will be people who dont buy the game becuase of the massive leaks , how many is the question.
Hopefully the attention helps boost sales.

I'm sure they'll be fine

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
They will have been denied that ivory back scratcher they were looking forward to.

I mean, i get bummed when i lose $10.

I get pretty tilted when i find out someone steals $10 from me.

I get even more tilted when I find out someone just destroyed something of mine that is only worth $10 just 'for the lols'.

I am not materially impacted by $10 (unless it were to repeatedly happen).

I'm pretty sure trolls are actually increasing the awareness of this game.

It's not for the trolls to decide.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Welp. They're about to be broke for life and perhaps a bit of jail time (if it can be proven they hacked in or physically stole something)

Hope it was worth it dummies.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Whether or not the leak affects sales will be difficult to prove. I don't know what metric they could use, has there been any precedent for something like this where a company took legal action against a leaker on the basis of lost sales?

I'm not sure but I wonder if they could use all the sjw hate for the game as a way to show potential damages. I mean companies sue for some far reach things like customers potentially being confused as to what product they are acrually accessing.

I'm sure they'll be fine

Who the devs? We wont know until sales come out but let's just say the game fails to reach a milestone by a few hundred thousand sales , unknown if I worked on the game and disnt earn that bonus I would be wondering if the massive leak was the cause.

I still believe the game will sell very well you just never know or why else even worry about leaks? I dont think Sony corporation really cares about our spoiler free preferences. They just want to make sure we buy the game.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure but I wonder if they could use all the sjw hate for the game as a way to show potential damages. I mean companies sue for some far reach things like customers potentially being confused as to what product they are acrually accessing.

They wouldn't be the first developer to have pissed off the alt-right with game design decisions, I don't see how they could hold a leaker culpable for that.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't been following the drama of this shit for obvious reasons, but why are people saying that this leak will effect it's commercial AND critical success??

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Where did sony say it was ND fault? I agree it's possible that the leakers made up that story about the employee.
Lol no I'm saying it's ND's fault this game was leaked in the first place sure the leakers had some stuff to do with that but ND did a pretty big injustice by not making sure it was secure.

The information in your last post was very specific and not something that can be easily found online. I think you would at least need to have close ties with a leaker to know something like that

yeah it's a little too specific I tried to be as vague as I could be.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't been following the drama of this shit for obvious reasons, but why are people saying that this leak will effect it's commercial AND critical success??

I assume the affect on critical success is down to the assumption that reviewers will be swayed by public backlash, or that the leak will have given them more time to digest the game's story before publishing their review. Neither of those reasons seems especially likely to me.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but what's "trouble"?

There's getting caught, getting sued, going through arbitration...but what was the final outcome for the perpetrators?

This is a bad way of looking at it.

Just because something was very successful doesn't mean it wasn't materially impacted.

If a person has 10 million dollars and you steal $100,000 from them, they still are a millionaire. That doesn't mean they weren't impacted.
Also with Avengers the fear of getting spoiled probably helped pressure people into seeing it earlier than they would have planned to. I bet there was even a tv ad out that probably said something along the lines of "see this movie before it's spoiled for you". You can't do that for TLOU2, it's launching pretty far away, Avengers had a week at most (early weekday screening?). Even then what big pivotal plot point videos of Avengers were floating around way before the opening weekend?

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
They wouldn't be the first developer to have pissed off the alt-right with game design decisions, I don't see how they could hold a leaker culpable for that.

Well sure but people have freedom of speech to protect them from spreading negative messages but if you stole something or acquired it illegally and were the cause of that negativity I wonder if there is some grounds to sue. At the least isnt this stuff copyright protected?

I honestly dont know what was leaked but I have heard people mention it's the entire game.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Can people stop this condensing garbage please? You know damn well this isnt just about a video game.
What?
What exactly happened that was so bad?
A few scenes from a video game leaked on the internet. That's it.
It's goddamn absurd people in this thread calling for jail time or violence against the leakers.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Are you implying or referring to something specific? No spoilers please, I'm avoiding that topic like COVID-19.
Well yes, people are saying that leaks will have an impact on sales/critical reception due to story elements in there.
Not because something leaked in general.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yes, people are saying that leaks will have an impact on sales/critical reception due to story elements in there.

People that are that easily swayed would have waited for reviews and let's plays anyways.

Or they were just straight up lying about getting it day 1

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017

Hmm, alright then if people are reacting to specific story beats. But I trust in ND's capacity to tell a good story, so not swayed by general reactions just yet.

Sep 21, 2019

Is it confirmed that these assholes leaked the game as a result of some anti-gay agenda?

Screw those assholes regardless, doubly so if this was their reasoning.

Jun 23, 2019

Even if the game wasn't leaked by anyone from Naughty Dog, the leaks have done damage and only incensed those who are anti-LBGT and that kind of shit can spread like wildfire. I'm not even sure how the game will do now tbh.