• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Do you have a source for this information? Who exactly told you this, and what is their position or role? I just find it hard to believe Sony would leave these sorts of files completely unsecured as you're claiming.
FF7R demo was sitting on servers in the open for several days.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So whoever was able to access can't sued or punished, if they aren't ND affiliated?

Even if what he was saying was true (I have my doubts), these servers presumably wouldn't be public and still by his own admission require a key. If someone unaffiliated with Sony used the key to access the servers without permission and then take and share said files, it could essentially be the equivalent of stealing and then sharing said stolen files, which in turn could be shown to have caused damage and harm to Sony, ND, the IP etc, so those people would or could still get in serious trouble.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who's being bigoted on the leakers? We know nothing about them, and that's how it should be.
I'm not saying anyone is being bigoted on the leakers. I'm more talking about people putting the blame of bigots harassing people on Twitter on the leakers for putting the spoilers out there in the first place. It's saying that the excuse harassers use to harass people is ultimately what should be blamed for the harassment. Which.... is really dodgy reasoning. Like, this same sort of reasoning can be used to victim blame people who often get harassed.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
Surprise surprise, it wasn't backlash and a call to arms for the ridiculous crunch at ND. Embarrassing

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Pretty sure the only way a leaker can get jail time is if they got the information from hacking the servers like that guy who leaked stuff from Nintendo even after the FBI told him to stop

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility towards other members
Hopefully they get punished severely. I hate leakers like these spoiling a game. Thankfully I haven't been spoiled. It must be extremely frustrating for developers to find out that the game they worked so hard on gets spoiled for many of their fans a few months before launch.

do any human beings post here lmao

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
tenor.gif
source?

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Significant financial damages and potentially hacking depending on how they got the footage.
This is the important part. It is also possible that absolutely nothing happens.. depending on how they got the footage. It's possible that the blame will be on someone else entirely and that someone else will be punished while the leaker just gets away with it.. depending on how they got the footage.

Unless the leaker broke/hacked in to ND HQ I don't see how he could be considered guilty of anything in court.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely take it seriously. Don't ruin someone's life while you do it. Putting the leakers in prison does absolutely nothing for the devs who worked on the game.
I'm not advocating prison. I also would say it's likely they get sued very hard by sony, rightfully so. Unless they actually did something straight up illegal in a form of theft.

Jan 3, 2019
I'm not advocating prison. I also would say it's likely they get sued very hard by sony, rightfully so. Unless they actually did something straight up illegal in a form of theft.
Well then the first comment wasn't meant for you :P.

Sony will sue the shit out of them and they likely will never work on the gaming industry or anything related again, I think that's enough.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see what comes from this in the future.

They might not be affiliated, but getting the game via some dubious means can still get you in trouble. Just because someone leaves there front door open doesn't make it legal to walk in and take whatever you want.

Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.

And who told you this exactly?

Considering all the other nonsense that has come out in the last week that have come out with no source, posting something with a "just what I was told" doesn't seem good enough to me.

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Honestly in this situation, getting jail time is what that person should hope for. Big company like Sony would rather sue for damages.

Sony can sue all they want. I doubt the leaker has the money they'll ask for anyway. And if you think jail time is better than being sued you've never been in jail or worked in the industry.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks for the ND team that they got their work leaked but wanting jail time for leaking a video game is asinine.
I don't know about jail time, but they could have potentially cost Sony and Naughty Dog a lot of money. Plus they screwed over the 100's of people working at Naughty Dog whose work was stolen.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Someone here made thread with appearance of TLOU 2 spoilers and toxicity of spoiler culture like that.

Then proceeded to have open TLOU 2 spoilers in opening post.

A lot people got burned.
Are you kidding me?! I opened that thread, got sidetracked like 5 words in and closed the tab. I really lucked out (for now)...

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.
Is this going to get verified?
Or we will continue to just post stuff like it is some fact.

Like ERA was so certain a few days ago the leaker was a disgruntled dev or QA tester.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
While the lack of morals in the person leaking this absolutely can't be questioned, legally, did the act of posting the videos break the law? (presuming they did nothing illegal to obtain them, of course).

Could they even be sued, if they never had any kind of legal agreement with Sony? Someone educate me please!
I mean they way the leak was done basically accused ND of not paying their workers and damaged their reputation as a company. I've noticed that any story around ND or TLOU has been extremely negative ever since the leaks started happening.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Even if what he was saying was true (I have my doubts), these servers presumably wouldn't be public and still by his own admission require a key. If someone unaffiliated with Sony used the key to access the servers without permission and then take and share said files, it could essentially be the equivalent of stealing and then sharing said stolen files, which in turn could be shown to have caused damage and harm to Sony, ND, the IP etc, so those people would or could still get in serious trouble.

Yet some people would like this thief to walk free because reasons.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Crazy to hear the few people that think this behavior isn't punishable in both civil and criminal courts. Who ever it was broke many laws, and in doing so damaged the potential sales of a half billion-billion dollar franchise of one of the largest company on the planet. They deserve what they get.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to hear the few people that think this behavior isn't punishable in both civil and criminal courts. Who ever it was broke many laws, and in doing so damaged the potential sales of a half billion-billion dollar franchise of one of the largest company on the planet. They deserve what they get.

What laws exactly? If they got provided the info then they're not in breach of anything? It's the exact same as journalists reporting on leakers

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FF7R demo was sitting on servers in the open for several days.

This isn't verified btw. The rumours are some users used hacked PS4's to access servers to retrieve the data, but afaik it's not confirmed/verified whether they had to hack the servers to get access or not, what sort of security was in place, or how they specifically accessed them either.

You have to imagine that Sony would have tightened things up following FFVIIR, either they didn't (seems unlikely), or these leakers are hackers who are more sophisticated in their means than rumours are giving them credit for.

You'd also think given the premise of this very thread, we'd stop pushing unverified rumours as matters of fact.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I must say I'm more intrigued than I'd like to admit about the reason for the leak by this individual.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I knew this made no sense for an employee to do this. It was extremely malicious to the point of like who in their right mind would blow up their career like that.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I suspected games media all along.

Guess it could be outsourced tester working from home.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Knowing Sony, it probably was lying on some public server. Are we going to pretend this is the first time they were inept when it came to security?
They have been really bad with that stuff I agree, but the info from Komo seems a little fishy for a game this big. I'm staying neutral on that until either the info is verified or reports come out stating something more specific.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these post are yikes And people wonder why The usa has a terrible criminal justice system