• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Last year MH World probably had a huge impact on PS Plus subs in Japan and Asia. Remember that PS Plus growth is also driven by games.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
svlTIYt.gif

loooooool

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
I guess it's for overall revenue.

Makes sense. Physical still reigns, it would be interesting to know the ratio on fullprice games.The DLC and MTX are almost only available on digital so the ratio on fullprice games should be lower for digital.
I probably have more digital games, but the digital purchases are always bargains so the revenue ratio is higher on physical.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
My word. Props to Sony. 100m soon and still a few heavy hitter games to go, I think.

Surely one more PS4 revision left? Super slim.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
First, ArmGunar, awesome OP! Really clear, some great historical trend data in there.

The 37% digital ratio is only at base games, or includes DLC and MTX?
Page 8 : https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q4_supplement.pdf
Full game software digital download ratio is calculated by the following formula: "Full game software units sold via digital transactions" / "Full game software units sold via both physical and digital transactions."
So it doesn't include DLC or MTX

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
16M forecast for the FY2019/2020 is much more then I thought, how are they going to maintain the momentum?

Is this the first time they have mentioned first party games contributing heavily to the revenue & profit?

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
16M forecast for the FY2019/2020 is much less then I thought, how are they going to maintain the momentum?

Is this the first time they have mentioned first party games contributing heavily to the revenue & profit?

16 million is perfectly in line with a system at this point in its life. That's a very reasonable forecast.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. PS4 should be around 100mil by E3 right?

I'm thinking 120mil should be a given lifetime, with 130mil being attainable. It is still a fairly expensive console. When it goes down to $200 that will open a new market. Plus TLOU2 in particular is going to sell some consoles.

PS: This is also why I always find the "How will Sony adjust to Switch's impact" threads funny. Sony doesn't give a shit.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
16M in FY19. I think we will finally get a pricedrop, most likely with the arrival of 7nm APUs for base and Pro.

They will also need good software. I presume at least TLOU2 will be released before the end of 2019, with maybe one more [Tsushima or Death Stranding] in early 2020. As for multiplats, they are set,.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
16M forecast for the FY2019/2020 is much less then I thought, how are they going to maintain the momentum?

2 million isn't that much of a drop for a console this old, I was surprised they are expecting to sell that high.

Oct 26, 2017
1. Please don't jinx it, be quiet.
2. I have hope they won't, since for PSNow you don't need Plus for online gaming, MP.

I'm hoping they expand on the Instant Game Collection and have more games available.

I'm holding my breath that they're waiting to pull the trigger on adding more games for the PS5 launch, especially some of their older PS4 games. For people who are going to jump in fresh to the PS ecosystem adding all PS4 first party games aside from say the big 3 would be a great selling point.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
2 million isn't that much of a drop for a console this old, I was surprised they are expecting to sell that high.
Me too. Planning to sell only 2 million less than a year with Fortnite Effect + God of War + Spider-Man + Black Ops 4 + Red Dead Redemption II + the Spider-Man 200$ bundle is very optimistic, especially since you know that Sony originally had a forecast of 16M for the last fiscal year.

I think it confirms the release of The Last of Us Part II in holidays 2019 and a permanent price drop of PlayStation 4 to 200$. It would be the only explanation.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By far the best console this gen, hope their next box is even better. Too bad the PS3 lost too much of their momentum, otherwise this would be their fourth out of four consoles over 100 million.

Oct 25, 2017
- Total PS4 profits ($3.84B) [without FY2018] exceed total PS1 profits ($3.03B), the entire PS2 profits ($2.22B) or offset the total PS3 loss ($-3.54B) !

- The PS4 profits of FY2018 alone ($2.81B) exceed the entire PS2 profits during its 6 years ($2.22B)

Well damn.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Do we know anything about revenue split for developers whose games are featured on PS+? Because looking at the amount of subscribers, there's a lot of money to go around.

The raw revenue of PS+ adds up to something like $2B per year. If devs get 20% of that and we assume that there are 4 games per month (counting all regions), then every dev ends up with around $8M per game.

This is assuming that it is a one time payment divided equally, which it most likely isn't. No matter what the split is though, I'm sure it's profitable for the developer.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Incredible numbers and deserved. Just look at the profits for Sony in 2012 and 2013. Tiny compared to late gen profits now. The ps5 launch year and R&D will be costly but profits so high now they won't go in the red. Just imagine the profits they'll be pulling throughout the ps5 life. Greatest turn around in gaming ever. The digital share will probably hit 60% and profits will soar. A 7nm ps4 super slim can be a trojan horse in markets like India, China etc especially as it doesn't require plus for FTP games.

If there's one thing they should be concerned about, I guess it would be this. This is pretty stagnant growth. They picked a bad time to lower PS+'s value.
There's always a big increase in Q3 for the holidays then a slow down after. Compare PS Plus with the same quarter last year and it's going up nicely. This holiday it should go up again. 40m+ sometime in 2020 I think.
This really puts into perspective how much that whole crossplay/censorship/arrogant Sony controversy we had last year actually mattered. Fuck all.
The gaming Internet doesn't represent reality and I think a ton of website articles and influencers are effectively sponsored by corporations trying to push the narrative. Take it with a pinch of salt.
The next step for Sony is probably to put F2P online games behind the Plus paywall to boost subscribers. Need to make those remaining non-Plus Fortnite players to pay the ransom.
Yeah if MS are going to keep that requirement Sony will definitely say fuck it they want more PS plus subs too. With that requirement I can see them hitting 50m+ subs next gen. That will be a 3BN+ annual revenue spinner for them. Crazy times.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil