• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Man this hits at the worst time possible for next gen launching but that pales in comparison to the the human cost. It sucks to cancel GDC and Pax East but safety of devs and people in general is far more important, regardless of if I play their games.
Some people need to learn priorities.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The gaming industry gets off pretty easy when it comes to all of these cancellations. I feel for events like music festivals and touring shows where being there is essential to the experience.
I sat in on a sales meeting yesterday to talk to them about something else and our sales reps were concerned about how so many of our event advertisers are pulling out because of worries of Coronavirus even here in the south and mid-west(US). It's effect every industry to some degree.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
with the current administration with Mike fucking Pence at the head of response i wouldn't feel comfortable going to any sort of convention at the moment anyways

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
with the current administration with Mike fucking Pence at the head of response i wouldn't feel comfortable going to any sort of convention at the moment anyways

I don't know where you would get such an idea from...

https://twitter.com/flyosity/status/883127663505833984?s=20

DEF_7FRXgAEPMwg

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
I wonder if this means that Microsoft will cancel the Xbox Series X. Epic will probably close their store too, wonder if the people accusing Sony of looking weak for cancelling, also consider Microsoft weak?

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I hope everyone and their "concerns" about Sony skipping events can end now. This is a serious situation and world economy is taking a hit as we speak. International companies in general are on travel ban for the major countries and limited travel for upper management only, (at least in several Fortune 500 companies that I know of anyway). I've been on a work travel ban since I got back from holiday as well.

At the rate that its going, I wouldn't be surprised if next generation starts in 2021. This is likely going to get bigger in Europe due to how badly it hit Italy.

Oct 27, 2017
and now... Amazon...

twitter.com

Daniel Ahmad on Twitter

“Amazon is pulling out of GDC due to continued concerns over COVID-19.. The AWS team joins Sony, Microsoft, Facebook/Oculus, Epic Games, Unity, PUBG Corp, 10 Chinese game firms and many more in withdrawing from the event. https://t.co/k1lrIaghrW”

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
At this point it's not a matter of if they'll cancel, but of when they'll announce it.

I hope they offer refunds, specially to those indie devs spending lots of money on going to GDC.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It'll be a shame if its cancelled. I'm not expert and my life is not in any danger as it concerns traveling or COVID-19. Having said that, I do believe it's a little overblown in the United States. But, I'm no expert at all. So don't mind me.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'd just stream/upload all the talks in. You won't get to mingle or have that stage presence, but the ideas and concepts shouldn't require one event to be shared and discussed.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to organize it at such short notice and with utilizing personal setups than the Hall's, but it's worth looking into.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It'll be a shame if its cancelled. I'm not expert and my life is not in any danger as it concerns traveling or COVID-19. Having said that, I do believe it's a little overblown in the United States. But, I'm no expert at all. So don't mind me.
It's not overblown. One thing that you need to remember about the US is that traveling between states is commonplace, so the virus can spread super fast here. Combined with our miserable healthcare system, there's no real such thing as a company taking their employee's health seriously. For once.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's not overblown. One thing that you need to remember about the US is that traveling between states is commonplace, so the virus can spread super fast here. Combined with our miserable healthcare system, there's no real such thing as a company taking their employee's health seriously. For once.
Perhaps. Guess we'll find out in the coming weeks though.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
kinda bummed as i was hoping to see some teaser for halo infinite here. Or am i mistaken in thinking that would happen at GDC? that being said health is wayyyy more important.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard Mike Pence wrote an article on how smoking doesn't kill you. And he's the man in charge? Ooofff

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
It's looking more likely it gets cancelled. Can't wait to pay cancellation fees for my hotel, pass, and plane ticket. :( Probably won't attend any other events for a while, this has soured things a lot for me.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I heard Mike Pence wrote an article on how smoking doesn't kill you. And he's the man in charge? Ooofff

He also thought he could pray away HIV. And he stood on the floor of the house and said that he thinks one day scientists will realize that Intelligent Design is the only explanation for the worlds creation.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just cancel GDC. Video games should never take priority over public health.
I want to clarify this is a weird take; GDC is about the industry and the people who work within it. GDC is extremely important for companies, individuals, and career progression.

That said, it still isn't worth possible outbreak status. I'm cool with it being canceled.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's looking more likely it gets cancelled. Can't wait to pay cancellation fees for my hotel, pass, and plane ticket. :( Probably won't attend any other events for a while, this has soured things a lot for me.
Some credit cards offer innate cancellation insurance at a smell premium, right? Worth looking into

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have so many coworkers who won our studio lottery this year, some of them who've never been to GDC because of how outrageously expensive it is. It's a shame that they'll likely also have to cancel their trips.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to clarify this is a weird take; GDC is about the industry and the people who work within it. GDC is extremely important for companies, individuals, and career progression.

That said, it still isn't worth possible outbreak status. I'm cool with it being canceled.

Yup, my little indie studio had a few meetings scheduled that were pretty critical for us. It's not a situation of video games vs public health, it's people's livelihoods vs public health. Cancellation is the right move, but it sucks quite a bit.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Yup, my little indie studio had a few meetings scheduled that were pretty critical for us. It's not a situation of video games vs public health, it's people's livelihoods vs public health. Cancellation is the right move, but it sucks quite a bit.
Exactly, GDC isn't traditionally where a lot of big game announcements are made. It's more about developers meeting other developers and getting jobs. It's the only event that's really for the people in the industry, so, cancellation sucks big time.