• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
The impact for travel agencies and hotels are going to be terrible.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if this means that Microsoft will cancel the Xbox Series X. Epic will probably close their store too

Beat me to it. Next gen is cancelled. Pack it up folks.

On a serious note, some of the reasons the virus spread in the first place were the lack of preparation or just plain ignorance. This is not just about 2-3% death rate, it is about affecting people's lives during quarantine.

And for a country that has a health care system that can snuff out your finances, US should probably have extra care not to get this virus spread in their shores.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Will the GDC staff anyone involved be OK financially after this? I can't imagine how much money is being wasted here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not sure what actually happens at GDC, but if it's a bunch of panels where people communicate with each other, it seems like we have the technology to do that remotely. It may not have the same energy, but it can be done as a backup plan.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder if E3 will also be cancelled at this point. If the epidemic gets worse, I can't imagine they'll allow it to run.

These posts didn't age well, not that they weren't shitposts to begin with.
They'll have a cure by then, but it's possible.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I feel like this is going to be SARS-like in that it will burn itself out sooner than we think, and have blown over by the time we get to E3.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theory is cerny tried to make the ps5 too powerful, like 200 quanta flops and died in the process, too cover it up jim ryan created the coronavirus. Ken kutaragi is now knocking down doors carrying vials of the virus threatening companies to not go to events, so sony can get time to get the cell 2 ready for the ps5. All the while duplicate cerny is out in the world causing mischief with fake github leaks.

DarthFeanor

Banned
Dec 6, 2019
100%. We'll see what the future holds for Gamescom too. Travelling alone is scary enough, but events like these are already breeding grounds for viruses. I know I wouldn't want to be around 20,000 people from all over the world, sharing controllers, headsets, etc, at a time like this

If you commute by subway in a large city like NY and Paris, you are in contact with much more people every day than on that events.

There are also churches and sanctuaries that are

We are always running an infection lottery no matter what we do.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Really starting to wonder if my opinion will ever come true and my hot cynical take will ever be fulfilled.

My favorite platform of the choice, the best one, might not come out. Ever.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Really starting to wonder if the PS5 will even launch this year.

Yeh, I'm starting to think the same. Many factories around the world (especially China) are operating at half there usual capacity. Components are in short supply, prices for parts are wildly inflated. Are they going to be able to produce a decent number of consoles with supplies constrained like this world wide

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you commute by subway in a large city like NY and Paris, you are in contact with much more people every day than on that events.

Tell that to all the companies who pulled out of gdc lol. This line of thinking is so dumb. "Why would I stop smoking if it won't guarantee I don't get cancer?"

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Kinda doubt that chief. I live in Tokyo and I'd rather take the trains than attend a convention at Big Sight.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Not surprised even more are following. Health and safety goes first.

Some people here already had some really dumb takes and with every passing day they look even dumber and dumber.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
This is seemingly becoming a big deal huh? I'm ok not having a next gen system for a while to be honest. My pc is epic anyway

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
This really sucks. I had plans to network with so many people at GDC and i had a mentorship 1 on 1 with an industry leader. :(.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just went back to see the interview, from general chat that I saw on BBC, pharmaceuticals are looking to trial vaccines by the summer (optimistic), so I misread that, which means a vaccine is being projected to be available during the next winter, the period experts feel the virus is the most dangerous, WHO hope to have a cure within 18 months. I stand corrected .

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just went back to see the interview, from general chat that I saw on BBC, pharmaceuticals are looking to trial vaccines by the summer, so I misread that, which means a vaccine is being projected to be available during the next round of winter, WHO hope to have a cure within 18 months. I stand corrected .
I was going to say, a cure by E3 is fucking not happening.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm not sure what actually happens at GDC, but if it's a bunch of panels where people communicate with each other, it seems like we have the technology to do that remotely. It may not have the same energy, but it can be done as a backup plan.
Lots of GDC happens because of face to face meetings and realising what you have in common during group conversations. Most importantly, lots of what happens is off record.

Remote is never off record, and you can't control the spread of information. I'm not going to show a half broken prototype online but I'll get my laptop out and bounce ideas around with others in person.

It's true that some of the talks could be worked into remote versions, but not at such short notice.