• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
www.androidcentral.com

Sony faces new PS5 setback in India — it doesn't own the PS5 trademark

Sony failed to secure the PS5 trademark in India, leading to another round of delays before the console can go on sale in the country.

Sony doesn't have that particular problem as the PS5 filing was done by an individual, and Sony can easily prove that it has prior claim to the moniker. But the delay in securing the name will push back the release of the PS5 in India, and it doesn't look like we'll get to know pricing or availability information anytime soon.

Finally this is a chance for playstation to have a real naming convention, I humbly submit "PlayStation Type V" bundled with ridge racer.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That is nuts.

I would have thought that Sony has everything up until PS10 registered EVERYWHERE just in case.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
tenor.gif

OP
OP
delete

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Even though India has a very large population and an especially large and growing middle class it seems that lifetime sales of the ps4 are only over 400,000. Probably not that big a deal for Sony since they could probably just divert stock intended for that market to other regions with more demand.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that explains everything. Edit: Currently we have no release date, no pricing info, nothing official. I was wondering why until this news. I had a slim hope that they'd show something around Diwali (big festival like x'mas) but it looks unlikely.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Plash Speed 5 will do.
People are already claiming it looks like a router anyways.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Imagine if the guy who did it was a microsoft employee. LoL.

Microsoft: Hi Sony
Sony: Hi
Microsoft: you want to release the ps5 in india?
Sony: yes
Microsoft: please Cancel the exclusivity of FFXVI, bye bye.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
"An individual from Delhi beat Sony to the PS5 trademark filing in the country by three months."

Wouldn't want to be that individual...

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Well, that explains everything. Edit: Currently we have no release date, no pricing info, nothing official. I was wondering why until this news. I had a slim hope that they'd show something around Diwali (big festival like x'mas) but it looks unlikely.
Well we (Indonesia) also don't have release date and pricing yet.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, all the Playstation fans in India are now on the hunt to find that ONE guy and make him pay for the delay. :P

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Even though India has a very large population and an especially large and growing middle class it seems that lifetime sales of the ps4 are only over 400,000. Probably not that big a deal for Sony since they could probably just divert stock intended for that market to other regions with more demand.
Well it (or any other console) costs almost double the US price. There is no regional pricing for games. One full price PS5 game will cost almost half the monthly per capita income of India. People are more into mobile and PC gaming like many asian countries.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the reason it stayed as 20th century fox was because somebody had the rights to 22st century fox? It's not unheard of for this to happen.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why don't Sony own these trademarks way ahead of time? Is that not possible? Is it not worthwhile for instance, getting the trademark for Playstation 6 sorted now?

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
I mean, it's not even something that's all that unique to Sony... Apple is still going though a (protracted, I know) legal battle here in Brazil with a local company, over the "iPhone" trademark, for God's sake. Yeah.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Mobile gaming is huge in India. However, on another forum I'm on with a large Indian community, there has been a lot of hype for PS5.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs to figure this out quickly, Just got a news that the one of the biggest retailer(Flipkart) here is giving a hefty discount on Series S, $464 discounted to $396 , and its really bringing the price down to the current Ps4 prices ,which is a rather lucrative deal , although as I said earlier , digital only console will do limited here as the second hand market for physical is quiet big and cheap on the pockets.

Off Topic
Mobile gaming is huge in India. However, on another forum I'm on with a large Indian community, there has been a lot of hype for PS5.
You really need to start naming the Community(one plus forums) here rather than saying "large Indian community," lol :)

Out of curiosity what mobile games are popular in the Indian community?
PUBG is huge than online rummy games and other stuff.