• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
While it can be sad to see a cult favorite go, it's no big loss for gaming. And it's not a problem that Sony won't build a new portable PlayStation. A lot has changed since 2012, when the PS Vita launched. There's no good reason for Sony to make a new portable console, and no good reason for gamers to buy one.

There's one big reason to think Sony should make a portable console. The Nintendo Switch. Its success has lead gamers to wonder if portable consoles from Sony and Microsoft could do just as well.

But where the PS Vita made sense as a product when launched in 2012, there's less room for it in 2019 and beyond. It's not just because the PS Vita struggled to attract customers in the same way the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, though that struggle does help justify Sony's decision to abandon portable consoles. The real problems are the alternatives. There's a lot of them.

In 2020, Sony continues to use streaming as a means to make PlayStation games playable on different devices. That lets the hardware team focus on the PlayStation 5. Why build a separate, portable console when Sony could just offer PS Now for mobile devices?

Except for the holdouts still rocking flip phones or sliders, most of us now have a capable device in our pockets. Our smartphones have sharp displays, with many exceeding six inches in size. In comparison, the PS Vita display was just five inches and had a resolution of only 960 x 540. Even some of the cheapest smartphones, like Motorola's Moto G family, offer larger, higher resolution displays.

That hardware we keep in our pockets gets more powerful with each year. It would be more of a hindrance than a benefit for us to carry around a second device just for playing PlayStation games, as the hardware powering that experience would just fall further and further behind smartphone technology.

Yes, the Nintendo Switch has been a success in spite of smartphones, so Sony could just make their own take on a Nintendo Switch. But part of Nintendo's magic is a game library that can be handled on less powerful hardware. Sony's top exclusives (think God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, not to mention whatever comes to PS5) aren't a good fit for a mobile device.

That's where game streaming can simplify matters. If you can stream games to your iPhone, Android phone, tablet, or computer, you'll have plenty of options for how you play. You'll save money by not needing a dedicated piece of hardware for Sony's games.
In the case of some games, a 4G mobile connection would be enough to have a playable, enjoyable experience. Slower-paced games, like turn-based RPGS, wouldn't need the same connection speeds or low latency as other titles. And for the fast-paced games, 5G is right around the corner.

Though there are only a handful of phones offering 5G in the US right now, and carrier 5G networks are highly limited, the 5G landscape is going to be different by the end of 2020. That's going to open the door to a lot of cloud computing, and there's no reason Sony couldn't be one of the company's taking advantage of just that.

Would a portable console be more reliable? Sure. Would it be awesome to hold? Yes, absolutely. Novelty alone isn't enough to carry a console, however. The Switch already exists. Any portable console from Sony would not only have to co-exist with the PlayStation 5, but also fight the Switch for portable supremacy.

Sony wouldn't win that fight. Gamers would lose, too. Sony's past portable consoles languished because the company couldn't offer them proper support while focusing on the PlayStation. There's no reason to think that would change in the future.

Streaming isn't the best of both worlds, but it's a good bit of each. Sony is right. It's time to bury the dream of a portable PlayStation.

SOURCE

With the exception of the point about library splitting/Sony's games not translating as well to the portable experience, I disagree with almost everything said in this article, and continue to roll my eyes at the starry eyed tone-deafness of those who actually believe that streaming would serve as a substitute for proper portable gaming (the challenges there are even greater than would be for streaming replacing console gaming, and we already know streaming right now is nowhere near replacing console gaming).

Nonetheless, my disagreement does not take away from this being at the very least a well written, well articulated article, that I want to put up for discussion here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I can't play Persona 4 on my phone eat pant stinky phone lovers.

Vita 2. Make it happen Phil Spencer.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I liked my PSP during the 00s, some great gems on that system (Tactics Ogre!), but can't say I miss Sony handhelds overall. Vita's library was lacking.

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it...

As much as I really don't think cloud gaming is super viable right now, I can see a future where I already DO have a Playstation handheld. And thats my phone. With cloud streaming.

Yeah, it won't be as lag free as a native device for sure, but then again, I can have my FULL Playstation library on the thing, rather than 2 different sets of games. I buy a copy of Uncharted 5 on my PS5, and I can play Uncharted 5 on the cloud with my copy as well on the go.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
trying to compare a Vita which is from 2011 and a phone from 2019 on spec and resolution? what is this guy even doing, even now with the hardware advances in mobile games most of it is just connect 3 or iap garbage still but then again with his solution to gaming on the go being streaming, i think this is just another american with super fast upload and download trying to tell everyone to get on his level or gtfo

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
trying to compare a Vita which is from 2011 and a phone from 2019 on spec and resolution? what is this guy even doing, even now with the hardware advances in mobile games most of it is just connect 3 or iap garbage still but then again with his solution to gaming on the go being streaming, i think this is just another american with super fast upload and download trying to tell everyone to get on his level or gtfo
America doesn't even have good mobile data connections...

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You think you know me? You think you know my needs?

Streaming has been offered as the answer to all sorts of gaming questions over the last few years and it's pretty clear that it isn't ready yet. Until I can stream anywhere with perfect performance, streaming will never be a substitute for a dedicated machine. Especially with a handheld.

Furthermore, something that stands out to me is this:
Sony's past portable consoles languished because the company couldn't offer them proper support while focusing on the PlayStation. There's no reason to think that would change in the future.

This was in an era where the PS3 and Vita were both tanking. Sony no longer needs to fully devote its resources to turning around two failed machines at once to save their entire gaming business. So I feel like there's plenty of reasons to think this would change in the era of the PlayStation 4 and on.

But anyway, even if Sony doesn't make a dedicated handheld, something needs to be done with the massive catalog of games currently locked on the PSP and PSV. Those libraries are in danger of becoming lost media if more effort isn't put in to their distribution. Emulation helps but it's no substitute for proper access. Those are good and unique games and they aren't being cared for at all.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is a weirdly specific thing to insist for other people. Portables are a long-standing (and recently re-affirmed) sub market for games that buyers get easily excited about. The tech to make basically the "same" software run across variant platforms has never been easier to implement than it is right now. Almost nothing about this hobby is a matter of "need," so this is quite the statement to assert on behalf of the whole market.

If Sony itself doesn't want to make the investment or doesn't feel confident in their read on a potential handheld market, that's fine and a totally separate issue, but an editorial like this (that speaks "for" players) comes across as boot-licking fanboyism to retroactively justify a statement out of Sony.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not if it comes with proprietary storage yet fucking again.
Sony had great ergonomy and buttons on their handhelds, fuck that phone noise.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think you know me? You think you know my needs?

Streaming has been offered as the answer to all sorts of gaming questions over the last few years and it's pretty clear that it isn't ready yet. Until I can stream anywhere with perfect performance, streaming will never be a substitute for a dedicated machine. Especially with a handheld.

Furthermore, something that stands out to me is this:

This was in an era where the PS3 and Vita were both tanking. Sony no longer needs to fully devote its resources to turning around two failed machines at once to save their entire gaming business. So I feel like there's plenty of reasons to think this would change in the era of the PlayStation 4 and on.

But anyway, even if Sony doesn't make a dedicated handheld, something needs to be done with the massive catalog of games currently locked on the PSP and PSV. Those libraries are in danger of becoming lost media if more effort isn't put in to their distribution. Emulation helps but it's no substitute for proper access. Those are good and unique games and they aren't being cared for at all.
the vita came out in 2012 which was well past the ps3's worst years, 3 years into the ps3 slim, and 3 years after uncharted 2. the ps3 was not "tanking" at that point and the majority of the groundwork to stop it from tanking was done.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather hope my connection is good enough for cloud streaming rather than a portable console.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
But I do.

Mobile phones and streaming are garbage for gaming

That's why I have a GPD Win 2 and I'm waiting for the eventual 3.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean even if the streaming technology was miles ahead of where it is now, there are always going to be places where you won't have internet access, like planes

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I buy plenty I don't need. I don't need my PS4 either, let's just scrap the whole line.

I don't think the market needs a PS Portable right now, but I'm open to seeing one in the future.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
the vita came out in 2012 which was well past the ps3's worst years, 3 years into the ps3 slim, and 3 years after uncharted 2. the ps3 was not "tanking" at that point and the majority of the groundwork to stop it from tanking was done.
But game development takes time. Most early Vita games were being developed before the PS3's revival was ensured, and subsequent to that, Sony was busy ensuring the PS4 would be able to cement its place in the market.
In today's day and age, with a broader portfolio of studios, and the ease of scalability across hardware configurations for most engines and games, considerations such as those would not impact game availability on a presumed PSP3 as they did then.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
A huge crux of his argument presupposes that Sony can only do top of the line graphics and are incapable of not doing so. They don't even have to put their 'top exclusive' on the console; anecdotally, I don't even like their 'top' exclusives, so I skipped over their Uncharted and Killzones and went gungho on their Japan titles, like Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice, 2 title styles which, at this point, likely won't see the light of day again. The only Sony exclusives worth keeping an eye out for (again, anecdotally/personally) are Sony Japan's offerings and GoW, which were fine enough on the Vita.

There's also a design philosphy concern. He mentions Turn-based RPGs being fine on the phone, but pretty much every phone-based RPG I've played has had a noticeable decline in my ability to care about them due to the nature of the device and the main component Dedicated devices have over phones: the controls. That doesn't even bring into account action games, which I pretty much skip on principle due to the same concern, but amplified because 'Action' game. There's also the fact that just because it's a turnbased game doesn't mean I'm willing to or desire to put up with latency. Persona 5's hud is glorified for its snappiness for a reason.

There's also the matter of ecosystem. I play mainly lower-tier titles on Switch due to portability but the Switch doesn't have achievement/Trophy tracking. If Sony had an equivalent console that still offered a tether to that ecosystem that I've built up, I'd jump ship back in a heartbeat. As it stands now, the Ps4 is probably my least favorite system I own because I have the switch for Portability and the PC for Power.

The Vita's biggest enemy was Sony, not anyone else. 3ds stayed popular despite being a pretty awful piece of hardware because it had things people wanted, relative ease of use and, most importantly, Support from Nintendo. As someone who engaged with the Vita Day 1, I feel pretty confident in saying that Vita fans were such in spite of Sony doing the exact opposite of all that at pretty much every turn. The Content Manager sucks, the Proprietary Memcard sucks and Sony's lack of dedication to the console sucks.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
giphy.gif

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should have made a Switch before the Switch

It would run still the same Vita games, but you could play as whatever you wish

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I'm happy that Digital Trends knows me well enough to tell me what I do and don't need. I don't know how I'd make decisions by myself without their helpful articles

/s

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Vita and Switch demonstrated that the device needs to be successful before third party are willing to support the device. That would be hard for Sony to accomplish without sacrificing the PS5 and/or PS VR. They would also struggle to compete with the Switch at this point since it has stolen and perfected their whole 'console quality gaming on the go' tagline. It's hard to compete with a great product unless you put your all into it. I'd rather see Sony do what they do best: great home console games and experiences. Would be nice with god portale PS5 streaming options and PS Now portably though.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sony doesn't need portables and Microsoft doesn't need VR, I think that's what we've learned in the last week.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a Game Gear, GBA, Switch, and countless smartphones over the years and never once felt like I needed a gaming on the go solution. Honestly rather just wait untill I can play on a large screen. *Shrug*.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I play my ps4 through my vita remote play 90% of the time, and have been doing this for years. I only play at home, but even still, having this capability makes this gen my favorite by a long shot. I don't like to be tethered to my tv. Let me play my games in my living space where I please with remote play dang it. And the laptop / phone remote play doesn't hold a candle to vita remote play.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Vita was wonderful. It still is. But honestly at this point I'm happy for PlayStation to focus on the PS5 and not try to split focus.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You seem to be right. I seem remember them being more in sync with each other. Fair!

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The first half of the article is right, the second isn't. People want a portable Sony console, but it wouldn't help Sony at all.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I loved the PSP and Vita but even Nintendo doesn't have a -dedicated- handheld anymore. As said above, one device per manufacturer is enough/what is sustainable.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I hate articles/opinions like this. It's easy to say we don't need something until someone does it right. I remember the idea of "smart" phones being dismissed because why would anyone do anything computational on a tiny screen when you have a laptop or computer. I remember when gamers hated Steam because Valve was forcing us to install it to play Half-Life 2.

I also object to the idea that Sony is incapable of supporting a handheld and a home system at the same time. Under the right leadership and with the right partnerships, of course they could.

As for the Vita's relative failure, first we need to remember that it did much better in Japan. Second, a much more worthy investigation would be as to why did Sony of America prematurely stop supporting the Vita. Almost from the get go, there seemed to be an odd lack of support form Sony of America. It seemed like they gave up on right after launch. This was very weird and doesn't get discussed enough. The Vita launch sales were solid and the attach rate was very high. Sony of America was almost passive aggressive in the way they ignored the Vita. There were months when it wasn't even stocked in stores when it still had life in it. They supported the PS3 though a troubled launch (more troubled than the Vita imo).

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Vita was wonderful. It still is. But honestly at this point I'm happy for PlayStation to focus on the PS5 and not try to split focus.

Lets be honest, how much attention was split from the PS4? IIRC, the last first party game released for the system was MLB 15: The show, and that was over four years ago.