• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
This is exactly where I am too. Sony denied SOMETHING in the report. They didn't ever say anything about what was wrong or what the truth actually is now (and I wouldn't expect them to). Just don't assume that this means anything one way or the other. This just means we're just as in the dark as we have been, more or less.
Yup, I bet they most likely wanted to prduce 15m. They did a test run saw the yields were bad. Reduced the number they were going to produce then started Mass Production. Which would make Bloombergs article truthful and Sony's PR statement truthful.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Bloomberg has been awful and I don't know why ppl keep putting stock in what they say. They were likely wrong on bom for ps5 too.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
My read is that they are denying all bloomberg reports about production numbers. sony wants a lot of PS5s but hasn't given a firm projection of how many. The yield stuff is and always has been whatever because yields were factored into the contracts and production costs.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Phew! I'm already worried I might not be able to get ahold of a console in the launch window as is.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Yup, I bet they most likely wanted to prduce 15m. They did a test run saw the yields were bad. Reduced the number they were going to produce then started Mass Production. Which would make Bloombergs article truthful and Sony's PR statement truthful.
My god the mental gymnastics are simply astonishing

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't think they have much to worry about these small drops in stock value with their next big showing coming in about 24 hours, which will most definitely change things. Bloomberg has given negative reports about the PS5 before (mainly the one about Sony struggling to keep the BOM low), and they never said anything about that. This feels like they just wanted to make it clear there will be no shortages during the console's crucial first months.
I don't think stock prices were the operative catalyst. I just think they want to control every narrative going in and out of the event tomorrow. And this is a loose end that they want to minimize as quickly and fully as possible.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
My god the mental gymnastics are simply astonishing
Its pretty basic production. Do a test run to see what your yields are. Adjust your forecast accordingly. Then start your mass production run. it's not really mental gymnastics. Its just general production. Which part are you having an issue with?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Please stop with mental gymnastics haha. Thanks .

No one knows anything for certain one way or another . All we can do is listen to manufacturer for now and check their claims by end of their fiscal year

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
This is unusual, isn't? Usually they don't comment on rumors.
Well it looks like they comment when there a blatant lie about them which can impacts the stock or impact sales, being more harmful than divulging confidential information, or being teased into making "no comment" being an admission of it being true because "otherwise they would have said it's false". That's always a balancing act.

They actually corrected Digital Foundry twice for their article which was not representing the PS4 memory layout correctly based on a dev leak. But it was really an honest mistake and a great source (I love DF, always). If I remember the sequence of event correctly, Sony sent them comments, and they posted their comments at the top of the article as updates. I suppose if you ask nicely... you don't get the dreaded "no comment"...

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Stock Market, Also when this story broke they broke it on their Terminal Platform which is supposed to give stories near real time so people on the market could make moves based off those stories.

They are a legitimate media empire. Gaming is not even their main focus, but they have scaled up so you cannot compare them to the Sun of all things.

The BBC and Sun report Tory talking points from "a source" but its just CCHQ. When Bloomberg protect a source its because they are legitimately protecting that person's livelihood in exchange for information

Ok thanks for the info, I think there are some parts of Bloomberg which are more reliable than others. It seemed to me the gaming side is not held to quite the same ethics and standards as what BB is traditionally known for (stock market, politics?). This certainly is quite embarrassing for the editors on the gaming/technology department.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
p.gif

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Well yes, and while we're at it let's take it further: Sony was preordained to walk this path by the hands of fate in the timeless void of eternity before the world was shaped, so clearly they never reduced production in the sense that none of us are really responsible for doing anything of our own volition as free will itself is ultimately an illusion. Hence, both Bloomberg and Sony are correct and will always be correct.

By heaven, man, we are turned round and round in this world, and fate is the handspike.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The only comment from AMD is that all of their late 2020 products are ramping up according to their expectations [first question in the vid]

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks for the info, I think there are some parts of Bloomberg which are more reliable than others. It seemed to me the gaming side is not held to quite the same ethics and standards as what BB is traditionally known for (stock market, politics?). This certainly is quite embarrassing for the editors on the gaming/technology department.
I mean their two biggest names are formerly of Kotaku and a former reporter who worked at the Wall Street Journal. They are not bloggers. They are very much the sort of people with sources on the inside, and if they say they have this hard info you can be sure its backed up before publication.

Oct 31, 2017
🤣 I imagine Jim Ryan was at Sony HQ actually laughing at this fake news as it popped up.

Not gonna lie, I actually believed the story but now I think about it, it never made sense. 50% yields and unprecedented number of PS5s being made never added up. This kinda FUD being spread around just 25 hrs before Sony's big announcement tomorrow is wild lol.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Corporations don't lie guys.

Nintendo also told me their were no delays because of Covid. Very reliable.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm feeling like $399 is definitely a lock and they got the numbers to supply them.

now just drop the "pre orders are live NOW" and break the internet

Oct 25, 2017

This is absolutely a fair point, however, there tends to be a difference between a corporation lying to consumers and one blatantly denying the reporting of a publication.

For one, consumers are not going to be able to push back like reporters can.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

It is kinda wild to see people taking corporate PR so unquestioningly. They phrased it to be as uninformative, as possible, and just let implication carry every along. That's cool, we all do it, I certainly do (and I'm inclined to believe corporate lies more than the rest of ya'll) it's just funny. (Not that this necessarily means Bloomberg is right. It's all the same black box. People need to stop assuming any part of this saga tells them anything about anything.)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is kinda wild to see people taking corporate PR so unquestioningly. They phrased it to be as uninformative, as possible, and just let implication carry every along. That's cool, we all do it, I certainly do (and I'm inclined to believe corporate lies more than the rest of ya'll) it's just funny.
Yea let's believe random site with track record of doing wrong reporting before and not the manufacturer which posts their shipment numbers every quarter . Stop it please . Thanks

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
With covid? People losing their jobs? Low income? They need to get people to buy their console they make more money with software and psn. I wouldn't be surprised if ps5de is tree fitty and normal 399.
No...they don't. They have an incredibly successful box that millions of people are currently buying software for. It's called the PS4, and contrary to everyone on this forum, Sony is actually happy to support it and continue to have people buying software for that platform. You can't seriously believe they're going to take a $150 or $200 loss so they can "make more money with software". That's an insurmountable hole. They'd need their customers to suddenly become 2-3x as spend-happy just to break even. That's not going to happen.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty basic production. Do a test run to see what your yields are. Adjust your forecast accordingly. Then start your mass production run. it's not really mental gymnastics. Its just general production. Which part are you having an issue with?
Do you leave the possibility of Bloomberg being just plain wrong out of this equation.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yea let's believe random site with track record of doing wrong reporting before and not the manufacturer which posts their shipment numbers every quarter . Stop it please . Thanks
To be fair, you were doubting Bloomberg's reporting on the $450 BOM too. I will give you credit for consistency.

I'm not buying any console for 499! It better be 399 max or else
Or else, say hello to your new Xbox Series S? 🙃

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
"The information provided by Bloomberg is false."

Seems pretty wishy-washy-PR-speak to me!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Again sony posts their shipment every quarter unlike their competition . It's very easy to track it . No need for tin foil hat whatsoever imo
Sorry, I want to be clear that every time I've posted in this thread, I have said that I am not saying that Sony is lying or wrong. I am merely pointing out that their denial simply leaves much room on either side. You're right, we'll know for sure in a few months. Which is exactly why I'm cautioning people from making conclusions NOW about price or availability based on this info. Sony denied dropping by 4M - but how many does that mean we'll actually have? 10M? 15M? We don't know.

Is that not fair?