• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Again: do we know for a fact that Sony required the DMC V changes?.

do we know for a fact outright stated by Sony or Capcom? no (and likely never will after the backslash no one will accept if even if they did)

BUT, seems to be too much of a "coincidence" that the majestic lights only happened on the Western Version on PS4 version only. so take that as you might

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it's a dumb question but what is this? Haven't played the game.
Western PS4 version had nudity that was censored with "the god rays" and it was subsequently patched out after people took note of it. Personally I find it unlikely that Sony mandated that censor in the first place, but it can be assumed that it was there because the developers might have been skeptical in regards to Sony's unclear policies at the time, and that's really the concern here. Being vague just means some developers might not want to risk wasting time and resources.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with Sony not wanting games that are solely designed to present women as sex objects ( and on top of that sometimes being under-age). Nothing is lost if we never get another DOA beach volleyball game.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It happened only on PS4.
Whether it's Capcom being wary about Sony's policy, or Sony asking for it, it still comes down to Sony's policy and the fact no developer has guidelines about it.

If Capcom's being wary, it only comes down to the lack of guidelines. There's a huge difference between "Sony's requiring even scenes of adult characters to be changed" vs "we just thought they might have us change it".

As I've been saying, they should address this and make the policies much clearer. But if they didn't require it, it is incorrect to point to DMC as an example of a required change and therefore there's no real examples of them not targeting anything other than what they've indicated. Which means there is no reason for concern for Cyberpunk or whatever other game people are worried about, barring the people making those games making some particularly gross decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
This argument about precise guidelines doesn't even pan out in the real world and I don't even believe it's possible to have clear guidelines that won't always be causing issues.

Sexist garbage like this is so ingrained in some developers design process that saying, "don't have underage girls getting groped" does absolutely fucking nothing in preventing those designs. A developer will just make a character that looks underage but they'll be confused as to why it was rejected because they absolutely don't think the character is underage given how used to those shit designs they are. That's how ingrained and normalized this garbage has become.

There's no amount of clear guidelines that will fix how ingrained the sexist garbage is from a design perspective.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
If Capcom's being wary, it only comes down to the lack of guidelines. There's a huge difference between "Sony's requiring even scenes of adult characters to be changed" vs "we just thought they might have us change it".

As I've been saying, they should address this and make the policies much clearer. But if they didn't require it, it is incorrect to point to DMC as an example of a required change and therefore there's no real examples of them not targeting anything other than what they've indicated. Which means there is no reason for concern for Cyberpunk or whatever other game people are worried about, barring the people making those games making some particularly gross decisions.
the problem is, or at least I see it, is that giving people guidelines also allows em to look for loopholes to circumvent em. which wont be on Sony interest. keeping it hiding and broad means sony has total control over it.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A part of me also thinks that if this was only about the sexualizing underaged kids Sony would just come out and say it instead of keeping the guidelines hidden.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
do we know for a fact outright stated by Sony or Capcom? no (and likely never will after the backslash no one will accept if even if they did)

BUT, seems to be too much of a "coincidence" that the majestic lights only happened on the Western Version on PS4 version only. so take that as you might

If it's the Western version only, that's more likely to be just Capcom, isn't it? Because Sony's certainly been using these policies on Japanese releases otherwise, right?

But if you ignore the region- that... doesn't really indicate anything in either direction of what I asked? Obviously it was changed only on PS4, so it was due to the policy existing. But people are acting like it was because the policy required it when it was seemingly because they were needlessly worried it might, and a change happening at all really doesn't indicate it was the former.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Did you read my post and/or the other threads...?
It's singled out because it has censorship that is not on other platforms. It's not hard.
Once again, there's censorship in other scenes on other platforms. Which means that the censorship not being present is a glitch. In fact, the ESRB backs this up
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35679&Title=Devil+May+Cry+5
"Some female characters are depicted partially nude, with their breasts and buttocks minimally covered by blood, light, or clothing. "
Day 1 patch added censorship that should have been there in the first place. Trish scene getting censored was probably an accident.
It's one of those VNs. The setting is in college. The character doesn't look underaged.
Do all anime characters with a specific artstyle are underage for you? That sounds worrying.
Is the only qualifier whether someone looks underage their bust size? lmao, you might need help then.

With your avatar and your "they can't be actually college aged because the artstyle leads me to think they aren't" argument.
Ah, put double the words in my mouth.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Western PS4 version had nudity that was censored with "the god rays" and it was subsequently patched out after people took note of it. Personally I find it unlikely that Sony mandated that censor in the first place, but it can be assumed that it was there because the developers might have been skeptical in regards to Sony's unclear policies at the time, and that's really the concern here. Being vague just means some developers might not want to risk wasting time and resources.
Aha, interesting, sounds like it'll be safer (for the kids) to go with the PS versions going forward then.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why its so hard for Sony just to clarify a policy. If it's cracking down on sexualization of minors literally nobody would have a problem with it. If they are trying to remove sexualization altogether I think that underscores Americas tolerance of violence and fear of sexuality.

Instead they say "we are protecting the children", meanwhile they are promoting TLOU2 and MK11. Just print your policy out so Devs and Customers know what to expect. I don't understand why they can't explicitly say what is and is not allowed.

This.

Sony, its not hard to be CLEAR CUT about this.

Just say
We are banning any kind of content depicting underage looking characters involved in sexual activities.

It's not rocket science

Bird

Dec 7, 2017
Florida
Hope that Sony hurries up and puts some actual guidelines out there, instead of this shitty system they have now.

Developers should age up their characters when they're too young, but we've already seen grown-ass women get God Ray'd so their judgment clearly isn't very good.

Developers should also stop putting all their eggs in one basket. Censored cheesecake is a big turn-off for part of the audience, and they should be releasing on other platforms as well.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
A part of me also thinks that if this was only about the sexualizing underaged kids Sony would just come out and say it instead of keeping the guidelines hidden.
Exactly what I'm thinking.
Once again, there's censorship in other scenes on other platforms. And lady's ass is censored on PC but not XONE. Which means that the censorship not being present is a glitch.
What are you talking about? Lady was censored on all versions. But PS4 in the West got a day 1 patch that censored Trish. Only recently did Trish in the NA version get uncensored but Europe still has it.

Bird

Dec 7, 2017
Florida
Exactly what I'm thinking.

What are you talking about? Lady was censored on all versions. But PS4 in the West got a day 1 patch that censored Trish. Only recently did Trish in the NA version get uncensored but Europe still has it.
wtf is with this forum and people arguing based on hearsay? It takes 5 seconds to google search the whole DMC5 situation.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It just cracks me up everytime that PS4 can have Last of Us 2 and Mortal Kombat 11.

But Senran Kagura, which has a lower rating and none of the violence of those games, we need to ban that. And people on this forum champion it.

What will ya'll do when Cham Cham gets into Samsho?
How old are those girls though (googled), the pink haired one looks like she's portraying someone in her low teens, if at the teens age at all.

Edit: Oh what the heck, the black hair, eye patched, cat ears one is surely a child.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
They should definitely stop allowing games with characters that look like children being sexualized to be on their platform. My only worry is how far the rules will go, like what about a game like Persona 5 or Life is Strange with high school age kids getting into relationships and exploring their sexuality. Should be interesting to see where Sony draws the line.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
This.

Sony, its not hard to be CLEAR CUT about this.

Just say
We are banning any kind of content depicting underage looking characters involved in sexual activities.

It's not rocket science
but what if is not only about underage looking character? ergo why they kept it vague on purpose

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
User banned (Permanent): peddling rhetoric associated with hate movements + long history of defending misogynistic content
California Sony at work. I'll buy that it's only limited to underage anime girls when they stop censoring things like DMC5 for no reason.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Sony just needs to do a better job communicating the new guidelines in a timely manner so developers can make their decisions accordingly.

Based on the article and earlier pieces, it seems their current practice is based on almost the opposite of this.

That is, there have been developer comments about a new procedure to provide feedback after the game has been submitted for certification to Sony. Which implies there were no clear guidelines provided early in the game development process. The refusal to publicly spell out the details of the policy guidelines is also indicative of this.

That may be good from Sony's perspective because it gives them a free hand to require any and all changes at their own discretion, but it is going to involve extra efforts and possibly additional expenses for the developers, who have already made a nearly finished product and need to make changes late into the schedule.

We all love Sony but let's not pretend this is some sore of moral action based on muh kids. They are doing this to avoid lawsuits.

That makes me wonder...has anyone already sued a company over footage from Twitch or other streaming content platforms?

Beyond that, I think that since the #MeToo movement is brought up as a factor, Sony should do more to better moderate interactions during online multiplayer sessions. That is where women are receiving a lot of harassment from other players.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Let's go on record:
  1. Characters having sex: OK
  2. Both male and female Characters equally showing skin in a sexualized manner: OK
  3. Nonsexualized nudity that makes sense in context: OK
  4. Only female characters being sexualized: Not OK
  5. Characters sexualizing themselves as a part of their character(e.g. Bayonetta): OK
  6. Only female characters being sexualized in a way that's out of their agency in the context of the game(e.g. male gaze): Fuck No OK
  7. Children being sexualized: Call the Police

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about we don't fucking sexualise minors or accept it even if the dev is calling them a 5000 year old ancient god or whatever other bullshit they come up

Some of you in here are tapped in your fucking heads if you think that it's OK

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I read the treadmark and it's not clear at all that it refers to underage sexualisation. In fact it seems to be talking more about the MeToo movement and Twitch. The underage bit seems to be added by the writer.

Don't know why mods chose this thread title, I came to this thread thinking that they had finally made their position clear but that's obviously not the case.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I suspicious that even if Sony were to come out with a specific statement about guidelines prohibiting the sexualizations of minors, that it would only ever be used as a cudgel by armchair "just asking questions" lawyers the next time content is cut or modified for a localized release that doesn't exactly conform to the letter of said hypothetical standards.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only ask they have actual guidelines so we know what they're looking for. I'm fine with them cracking down on the creepy underage shit and molestation mini games, but the lack of actual guidelines is just going to add more situations like DMC5 in the future.

Also people's perception on what looks underage when it comes to anime art styles has always been inconsistent. Like the obvious loli shit is obvious, but each of these threads have people arguing about if a character is underage or not.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It goes back to my point on how much of this is actually a stand for Sony when the games are still releasing. It's one thing to ask for edits on CG scenes or getting modes dropped that are literal groping, but they're still saying yes to games like Senran Kagura for release. It's still high-school girls flopping around and getting their clothes destroyed all the same.
I'm never quite sure what to think when it comes to Senran Kagura. My gut reaction is about the same as a show or movie that cast a bunch of hot 24 year old models to play highschool kids. It's an over the top pervy game, but a far cry from the pedo-bait lolis in a lot of other games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They should definitely stop allowing games with characters that look like children being sexualized to be on their platform. My only worry is how far the rules will go, like what about a game like Persona 5 or Life is Strange with high school age kids getting into relationships and exploring their sexuality. Should be interesting to see where Sony draws the line.
I mean LiS or BtS had nothing beyond a few kisses, they aren't going to ban that. Plus in lIS1, they are all at least 18.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A Sony spokeswoman confirmed the company has established its own guidelines "so that creators can offer well- balanced content on the platform" and gaming "does not inhibit the sound growth and development" of young people. She declined to say when these guidelines were introduced or to discuss them in detail.
This is really not a great statement as it remains very vague at what needs to be censored and the same concerns could be easily applied to depiction of violence.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
When they mention the Japanese market as the source of these games, it is clear that they are concerned about games that bring child sexuality and female objectification (I'm looking at Dead or Alive Xtreme).
Western violent and sensual games are not in the sights.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I suspicious that even if Sony were to come out with a specific statement about guidelines prohibiting the sexualizations of minors, that it would only ever be used as a cudgel by armchair "just asking questions" lawyers the next time content is cut or modified for a localized release that doesn't exactly conform to the letter of said hypothetical standards.

You can't stop people from being silly, gross or arguing in bad faith, but I do think having concrete guidelines provided to the developers, not to players, early in the game development process would be useful to reduce a lot of the needless drama after release and to better avoid various forms of exploitation without coming across like a sloppy last minute modification.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm never quite sure what to think when it comes to Senran Kagura. My gut reaction is about the same as a show or movie that cast a bunch of hot 24 year old models to play highschool kids. It's an over the top pervy game, but a far cry from the pedo-bait lolis in a lot of other games.

Isnt that pic posted before in this thread that shows a loli straight from a SR game?

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

I think it's a different context of discovery of sexuality, adolescence and such, compared to these Japanese games that transform children into sexual objects so that the player man enjoys viewing and playing.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So it seems this is mostly aiming to censor the creepy loli anime underage girls shit. If so, then I am completely on board with this, those games where you can rub underage-looking schoolgirls are fucking terrible and they don't need to be present on this platform, or any other platform for that matter.