• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff-Keighley-The-Game-Awards.jpg

It just occurred to me since Demon's Souls is releasing this year, Sony could possibly have 4 exclusives running for GOTY. Of course, this all depends on if the game is really good.

Game of the Year at this year Game Awards could look something like this:

- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake - (Timed Exclusive)
- Half-Life: Alyx
- The Last of Us Part II - (Exclusive)
- Ghost of Tsushima - (Exclusive)
- Demon's Souls - (Exclusive)
- Cyberpunk 2077

This would be the most exclusives Sony has ever had nominated for the Game Awards.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool to see Half-Life Alyx win, I don't think a VR game has ever won GOTY before.

Realistically though I think TLOU 2 will take it home.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I figured Demon's Souls would be cutoff due to it releasing so late...but it could happen? That's wonderful.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
cyberpunk won't be nominated since it releases after the cut off date

outside of that, yeah probably, idk if demon's will be nominated tho

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it kinda sucks that Half-Life Alyx won't win solely because it's a VR game. it deserves to

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd bet CK3, Hades, and Dreams would take at least one of those spots (though Dreams will still help with the record).

Doom Eternal should too but I know enough of its fanbase recoiled from it so it probably won't have the push.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not only will Demon Soul's be out after the deadline, it wouldn't be nominated anyway. But yeah, they potentially could have 3. Re2 was nominated because it was different enough from the first in gameplay and level design. Demons is just a visual upgrade no?

Anyways I expect Geoff to get Fall Guys in there

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'd actually put money on Demon's Souls and Tsushima not making the list, but Spelunky 2 and Fall Guys (both of which are timed PS console exclusives) could easily take those slots.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as i despised tlou2 story, it deserves it for everything else. Although i would put ff7 remake and ghosts above it.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
Half-life: Alyx most definitely deserves it. I think TLOU2 will win it though.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
I think these will be the nominees.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Half-Life: Alyx
- The Last of Us Part II
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Doom Eternal
- Ori and the Will of Wisps

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looking back, it's kind of amazing how stacked this year is in spite of the pandemic. Not sure those PS5 games will make it in time, but the fact that we could see some very split voting numbers with the already released games across very different genres is WILD.
When does the exclusive deal with FFVII end?
It probably will never end, judging by how schizophrenic this forum is about exclusives

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Out of that list it's easily ACNH tbh, but yeah it's nomination domination from PlayStation.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I mean it could, but that would be quite the reach, unless there is some inherent bias toward 3rd party action games in the selection process. Both Ori 2 and Flight sim arguably belong more than FFVIIR and Ghost, not to mention maybe Crusader Kings from PC or Doom Eternal. Early returns on Demon's Souls seem good, but we'll have to see.