• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Counter Point
Some time ago Jim sterling made an angry video talking about the We Happy few devs and how they treat people who needs medication for mental
disease.
People got angry and attacked the team behind the game
Turns out Jim got it wrong, the devs never said that
He made a half-assed video addressing this and asked people to stop the attacks.

So yeah, it would be cool if those reviews and YT personalities took some care before saying things about others.
this isn't a counterpoint

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Counter Point
Some time ago Jim sterling made an angry video talking about the We Happy few devs and how they treat people who needs medication for mental
disease.
He made a half-assed video addressing this and asked people to stop the attacks.

So yeah, it would be cool if those reviews and YT personalities took some care before saying things about others.

WTF is this implying? That Lucy's lying?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counter Point
disease.

What lol

data

Oct 25, 2017
Counter Point
disease.

I don't see how that stands counter to the point.

Lucy experienced first hand an unhappy developer confrontation over reviews. What does this have to do with Jim jumping to conclusions on something that never existed?

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Sony are fans of TLOU

Sure, but they are acting on behalf of a billion dollar company. There should be an expected level of professionalism and understanding that the weight their words carry on the journalist.

Whether directly or not, there are implications to Sony's action here. For example, this review might not change, but that journalist / VICE / others that see this story might be afraid to speak out about X in the future per chance of it hurting their position in the industry.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Sony and ND decide to go after this reviewer. Absolutely petty beyond belief from them both and shame on them because it comes accross as intimidating and essentially sends a message to VICE and now basically to all other outlets that being critical is likely to offend Sony and may potentially have concequences like it has in the past with other developers/outlets such as withholding review copies or un-iniviting the journo to PR preview events etc..

Again they didn't "go after" the reviewer. They asked him a couple questions, that's it. Can people relax with the hyperbole. They didn't intimadate him or threaten him or "go after him". They asked him a couple squestions that he states he happily replied to. It's so blatant how people are trying to make this much more than it should be.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Honestly it seems like the cancer within the business side of the games industry didn't get mitigated after Gerstmann-gate, it just became better hidden behind the scenes. Festering.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Those won't be happening for a while. And besides wasn't Konami the last to do this sort of thing with MGS V
I was listening to the Waypoint podcast today and Patrick Klepek was saying how he hopes that stuff like that will just be replaced in future by playing stuff remotely over GeForce Now (or whatever streaming service they'll use) like everyone did with the recent Cyberpunk 2077 previews. Seems the obvious way to go.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
Honestly it seems like the cancer within the business side of the games industry didn't get mitigated after Gerstmann-gate, it just became better hidden behind the scenes. Festering.
I believe this is present in every industry and society as such. The ones in power trying to "nudge" things in various ways that they can.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

9.4/4.9

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
PR doing this is such a half-assed own goal -- like, a quick look into Zachny's and Waypoint's history shows they aren't arguing in bad faith, so why rock the boat other than to push a shitty soft power

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews shouldn't have scores full stop, in any media. Half the time they never line up with what's written in the actual review anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I was listening to the Waypoint podcast today and Patrick Klepek was saying how he hopes that stuff like that will just be replaced in future by playing stuff remotely over GeForce Now (or whatever streaming service they'll use) like everyone did with the recent Cyberpunk 2077 previews. Seems the obvious way to go.
Really the only alternative, downloadable demoes would obviously be preferable but I suspect the FF7R issue will still be on publishers' minds.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking notes of which reviewers claimed that the writing in this game is top notch.

Some of this shit rivals the absolute GOAT moments of the inspired genius David Cage himself, he would be beaming proudly. I'd also like to have some sort deep dive of who exactly was responsible for which parts of the game...

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I could understand why a smaller, indie dev would like to reach a reviewer and try and get as much positive coverage as they can. But Naughty Dog ? Sony ? Are they that desperate ?

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Weird flex by Sony and Naughty Dog. Just let it be.

And, for what it's worth, I thought Vice's review was pretty lousy and definitely had a bone to pick with the game beyond a critical assessment. Something in the tone of the review.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm taking notes of which reviewers claimed that the writing in this game is top notch.

Some of this shit rivals the absolute GOAT moments of the inspired genius David Cage himself, he would be beaming proudly. I'd also like to have some sort deep dive of who exactly was responsible for which parts of the game...

So you're shitting on the writing and comparing it to a David Cage game?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
this is stupid but normal, no company should do this. especially for a game with this much acclaim

Troy Baker using a Roosevelt quote because he got salty over someone saying the game is too long though? that's hilariously insecure

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone saying that the conversation being perfectly cordial makes it all ok have likely not worked in many professional environments.

*everything* is cordial.

It's all about subtext and reading between the lines. I would wager $5 that the Sony rep was angling to get the review changed or make their presence known for the future. Intimidation, but professionally and in such a way that it would never come across as malicious if you transcribed it on paper.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

This seems like such a strange opinion. Is it really that hard for you to acknowledge that people might genuinely enjoy the story? Do you really believe that since you don't ever positive review is potentially paid off/coerced? That's honestly what your comment sounds like.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Again they didn't "go after" the reviewer. They asked him a couple questions, that's it. Can people relax with the hyperbole. They didn't intimadate him or threaten him or "go after him". They asked him a couple squestions that he states he happily replied to. It's so blatant how people are trying to make this much more than it should be.
Why did Sony reach out? What are they hoping to gain?

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
That Square Enix one deserves its own thread. That one is downright ridiculous and shameful.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Phew. Great news. Please let us know when you're done with your notes, your opinion on the game's writing is critical! Getting you access to information about who worked on what so you can play with your jump to conclusions mat sounds like an awesome idea, I'm sure Sony will be reaching out to you as well soon.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
So you're shitting on the writing and comparing it to a David Cage game?

In some of the writing, absolutely. Gameplay wise I think it's absolutely phenomenal but the narrative beats - well, all opinion but some of it is pretty terrible to me.

This seems like such a strange opinion. Is it really that hard for you to acknowledge that people might genuinely enjoy the story? Do you really believe that since you don't ever positive review is potentially paid off/coerced? That's honestly what your comment sounds like.

No this was my opinion, and I respect and appreciate those who love the story, characters, etc. But like every review (And a ton of them that I read) that lauded the magnificent story-telling, for me personally like any opinion, it is not good. But that's my opinion and I need to pay attention accordingly to reviewers that may have enjoyed it more than I did and find others a bit more critical.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Embarrassing. And I'm not even suprised anymore.

In some of the writing, absolutely. Gameplay wise I think it's absolutely phenomenal but the narrative beats - well, all opinion but some of it is pretty terrible to me.
You're absolutely right.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
User Warned - Platform Warring
seeing everyone with a sony first party game character as their avatar talking about how the reviewer is wrong is the biggest laugh I had all week so far

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
People need to understand the power dynamics in play. It's a threat even if they come off as cordial.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
That Square Enix one deserves its own thread. That one is downright ridiculous and shameful.

There really should be a bigger conversation about publisher intimidation tactics in the industry in general because acting as if this is a ND/Sony issue and not an industry issue downplays how much this stuff goes on.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
that is not what their comment sounded like. they are just choosing to remember specific reviewers who thought the writing was good because they didn't, so their opinions obviously don't align

they didn't mention anything about being paid off, this is such a weird accusation to make

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
that is not what their comment sounded like. they are just choosing to remember specific reviewers who thought the writing was good because they didn't, so their opinions obviously don't align

they didn't mention anything about being paid off, this is such a weird accusation to make

It did to me and they already responded taking less offense to it than you did. I thought that's how it came across, I asked and got answered.