• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only snowflakes are the commentators in this thread. Jesus.

If you spend six years making something that is widely praised and then read a review that appears - to you as the creator - to dismiss core tenets of your work, wouldn't you be interested in why the critic interpreted your work that way?

The review conclusion contains summary lines such as:

" Every facet of the original game has been expanded and enlarged in the sequel, but not actually improved. "

" There is practically nothing here we haven't seen and done repeatedly throughout previous Naughty Dog games. "

You don't have to love the story, I get it, but dismissing the game as unimproved is factually incorrect. I imagine this is what Sony wanted clarified.

To be fair here, it was not Sony or ND throwing shade at this critic in public in order to defend their name and game, they asked those questions in private. They didn't ask for them to change the review (as far as I know). What exactly is the problem here?

aighttt now you just can't be serious with this lmao
nobody should give a fuck how many decades did they spent perfecting every inch of joel's beard when they're reviewing a game, nor that other randoms journos gave it 12/10 in droves

like this is extremely basic application of freedom of the press, how the fuck can anyone even remotely defend editors pressuring smaller journalists on their criticisms? like bruh.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
When you clarify something with someone you usually do it privately. Not put that on social media. And if the 'pressure' Sony can make is not giving them a free copy of a 60$ game two weeks previous to release.... Wow.
If the review was already published, what kind of real effect would that have?
Not everything needs to be a conspiration, especially with such great reviews and not even being a major outlet unless I'm mistaken.

Do you really not see how it could be harmful to an outlet to not get a game at the same time as everyone else? It's a lot more than $60.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Be nice to my game! *throws juice box*

hey. HEY! don't throw your juice box!

But they were, my game, the he said, and then and thennn

Oct 25, 2017
Do I gotta post Austin's tweets again about how this is exerting pressure? What about any of the other tweets from journalists that have been called by publishers and exerting their pressure on them or their publications.

There were no threats or demands made and Rob describes the conversation as "cordial," but people need to understand that there is absolutely an element of soft power being pushed by Sony here. By reaching out to Vice and making their disapproval with the review known, Sony is indirectly reminding Vice that they control things like who gets code, who gets to attend preview events, etc. The Last of Us review isn't changing. Both Sony and Vice know what a PR nightmare that would be. But you're being willfully ignorant if you don't think Sony wants Vice to be at least a little bit worried about the repercussions if their Ghost of Tsushima review comes out similarly. I personally trust the Waypoint crew to not bend to that pressure, but I don't trust Sony to not use the power that they hold over them. I mean, they've done it before.

Not going to stop certain folks from trying to disingenuously defend this practice

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Because she is randomly replying to a person who has gotten death threats for being jewish among other reasons with whataboutism about how other people also get death threats. She's a drive by troll poster by Era standards and would have hopefully been banned for that post. Clear enough for you now?

I don't want to drag this out and Gita's tweet could have been worded better, but I would think the more reasonable reading is "we are very well aware of what getting death threats is like". Not "but other people also get death threats!". It wasn't whataboutism.

You could also spend the time checking to see if she elaborated on it, which I just did for you, and she did (and you're free to disagree with too).

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I didn't want to bring it up earlier because I didn't want to be erroneously lumped in with the ND pile on, but I heard some criticism from local game outlets that Sony was also extremely picky with who was allowed to review the game up front. Sounded like they were doing a deliberate Bethesda by only providing review codes to outlets they trusted to be positive. It just boggles the mind that Sony PR is so insecure about this game, or think that kind of attitude will stay unnoticed.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
So you think the leaks helped with reviews? Interesting take. I don't agree but am interested on why you think this?
Also the post leak embargo was always going to be there as there were a lot of twists that they didn't want spoiled, and as a gamer I wouldn't want spoiled either.
I think that a lot of legitimate criticism of the game is being dismissed due to the heavy vitriol and bigotry surrounding the game's initial leaks.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

If you spend six years making something that is widely praised and then read a review that appears - to you as the creator - to dismiss core tenets of your work, wouldn't you be interested in why the critic interpreted your work that way?

" Every facet of the original game has been expanded and enlarged in the sequel, but not actually improved. "

That's an absurd statement for them to make.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So all the outlets who gave bad reviews for the first TLOU or Uncharted 4 didn't get a review copy for part 2? Better bring the receipts.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to drag this out and Gita's tweet could have been worded better, but I would think the more reasonable reading is "we are very well aware of what getting death threats is like". Not "but other people also get death threats!". It wasn't whataboutism.

You could also spend the time checking to see if she elaborated on it, which I just did for you, and she did (and you're free to disagree with too).

It just seems unnecessary to me that "people are threatening to kill me right now so can you please remove a joke about killing me" needed this as a response. Everything she's saying is completely true, wouldn't take away from that.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

" There is practically nothing here we haven't seen and done repeatedly throughout previous Naughty Dog games. "

You don't have to love the story, I get it, but dismissing the game as unimproved is factually incorrect. I imagine this is what Sony wanted clarified.

To be fair here, it was not Sony or ND throwing shade at this critic in public in order to defend their name and game, they asked those questions in private. They didn't ask for them to change the review (as far as I know). What exactly is the problem here?

Unironic use of the word snowflake. Hahaha. Do you "identify" as a gamer?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Do you really not see how it could be harmful to an outlet to not get a game at the same time as everyone else? It's a lot more than $60.
Sometimes the price of freedom comes at a cost. Maybe all outlets should buy the games and review them after launch, or join to force publishers to give them copies earlier but to everyone.

Why this particular outlet and not all the ones that were critical? That would be suspicious.
This is a double edged sword, publishers need media and media need content to write about.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
People in this thread are seemingly ok with Sony going to this reviewer to say "why u review critical" as long as they say it with a "cordial tone," while completely ignoring how unprofessional that is in general.

You cannot make the argument that games are art while defending this at the same time. Games cannot be considered "art" if you do not allow them to be critiqued like other art forms. But hey as long as Sony keeps up the charade, some fans don't care I guess.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aighttt now you just can't be serious with this lmao
nobody should give a fuck how many decades did they spent perfecting every inch of joel's beard when they're reviewing a game, nor that other randoms journos gave it 12/10 in droves

like this is extremely basic application of freedom of the press, how the fuck can anyone even remotely defend editors pressuring smaller journalists on their criticisms? like bruh.

Inaccurate to you maybe. Not inaccurate to him. It is after all an opinion. You may not disagree with it. You don't have to
People need to quit saying this. Nothing that was said in the review is objectively wrong.

The reviewer himself have made statements which are objective

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't even know what was asked by Sony PR, and yet people automatically assume it's something to do with Sony being a bully. Talking about jumping to conclusion.

Sep 14, 2018
She's a black female games journalist who was a big target for gamergate.
It doesn't have to be a competition where the "loser" has their experience dismissed. She has a point that she and many others also received and receive death threats and abuse from these people but when she brings it up like that in response to him talking about it, it comes across as "yours doesn't matter as much".

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017

Uh yeah, this.

That spin-off thread trying to imply that Gita Jackson was fine with anti-semitism, homophobia, transphobia and ableism to get a gotcha would be funny if it wasn't about a subject so serious

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Stop. We don't know shit.

We know enough. The fact Sony felt they needed to reach out at all regarding a critical (not even that negative, just critical) review AT ALL says everything it needs to.

Like I'm sorry, but this isn't how reviews go. They aren't a dialogue between publisher and reviewer. And if they are, then the whole fucking review process is broken. This is why we killed "review events" over the past ten years.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
I didn't want to bring it up earlier because I didn't want to be erroneously lumped in with the ND pile on, but I heard some criticism from local game outlets that Sony was also extremely picky with who was allowed to review the game up front. Sounded like they were doing a deliberate Bethesda by only providing review codes to outlets they trusted to be positive. It just boggles the mind that Sony PR is so insecure about this game, or think that kind of attitude will stay unnoticed.
Reviews were out a week before the game released, I would be picky as well to make sure that the game won`t be spoiled even more. I dont think this was done to avoid criticism of the game. in the end the reviews will be released nevertheless.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The reviewer himself have made statements which are objective
No he didn't. Those are subjective and his point of view. The words he used are subjective to the reviewer. He didn't say a specific feature wasn't in the game or that 1+1=3. Get out of here with this nonsense. To the larger point Sony shouldn't be throwing their weight around. Apparently you think Sony should be intimidating outlets?

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
So all the outlets who gave bad reviews for the first TLOU or Uncharted 4 didn't get a review copy for part 2? Better bring the receipts.

Eh, it's nothing as blanket as that. Honestly, sometimes it's just PR being strategic, which is their...job? I've been at outlets where we'd later learn the reason we received a review copy later was because PR had listened to a podcast, deduced who was likely to do the review, guessed at the review score, translated that score into Metacritic, and then decided to send us a review copy at launch, rather than ahead of launch, so it would impact the "launch" Metacritic average later.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
When you clarify something with someone you usually do it privately. Not put that on social media. And if the 'pressure' Sony can make is not giving them a free copy of a 60$ game two weeks previous to release.... Wow.
If the review was already published, what kind of real effect would that have?
Not everything needs to be a conspiration, especially with such great reviews and not even being a major outlet unless I'm mistaken.
Way to downplay it to "giving them a free copy of a $60 game." If they don't have a review copy with all the other major publications that will materially hurt them. It's not just a $60 game they're getting for free. They are in competition for your attention. If another outlet has the review when the embargo lifts and these guys don't, yeah it's going to affect them more than just having to pay $60 and get the game a few weeks later.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know enough. The fact Sony felt they needed to reach out at all regarding a critical (not even that negative, just critical) review AT ALL says everything it needs to.

Like I'm sorry, but this isn't how reviews go. They aren't a dialogue between publisher and reviewer. And if they are, then the whole fucking review process is broken. This is why we killed "review events" over the past ten years.
They didn't reach out to ALL critical reviews, so I'm sorry if I say we don't know shit, because we don't know why Sony PR reached out to that particular reviewer. But whatever reason it is, it's not just because the review is critical.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
People in this thread are seemingly ok with Sony going to this reviewer to say "why u review critical" as long as they say it with a "cordial tone," while completely ignoring how unprofessional that is in general.

You cannot make the argument that games are art while defending this at the same time. Games cannot be considered "art" if you do not allow them to be critiqued like other art forms. But hey as long as Sony keeps up the charade, some fans don't care I guess.
I think media in general are not really reliable, not just gaming media, they have their own interests too, and many, not all, of these reviews or critical articles are just a way to shift public opinion left or right, to fit your interests, or some even just go polemical to get clicks.
So i would really be careful considering every review out there something with enough quality to be considered a well made article.
And by some things i read about this one, at least it's debatable.And also need to apply the same logic and respect that can be critiziced as they also do with games, movies etc.