• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
With those new tweets it is clear chasing scores and bullying journos to get good reviews is a thing. Very troubling

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The discourse around this game is starting to feel a lot like MCU fans being pissy at Scorsese for suggesting superhero movies aren't cinema.

We made it, games are like movies now

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Console Waring
I see a lot of people haven't experienced a Rob Zacny review of a AAA game before, It's great to see. Also. lol @ all the Ellie avatars defending Sony/Naughty Dog/Druckmann over this.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all these journalists coming forward at this very moment is....... very telling

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. If the PR team reaches out to a big outlet question their review, independently of ND's knowledge or input, I don't think it's constructive for gamers to then run with the narrative that Naughty Dog or even specifically Neil Druckmann bully press over negative reviews.

They may have, but we don't know that and unless there's evidence that confirms one or the other then it's just disingenuous.

Especially knowing how these relationships actually work.

I think using it to vilify specific individuals(namely Neil Druckmann) is obviously BS but in general I still think it's fair to say it reflects badly on Naughty Dog because fundamentally they are one and the same with the entity ultimately responsible.

Lmao at how Druckmann is some comic book tier villain on here now. It's fucking bizarre.

He was the villain of the first season of Legends of Tomorrow lol

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I dont know why this was worth mentioning. In my time as editor in chief i got calls from publishers about bad review scores all the time. I explained it and thats that.

edit: pretty much ever major publisher came crying eventually about a review. Thats why the editor in chief stands between the publisher and the reviewer.

this shit is not unique and has been going on for decades. It has become less usual the past couple of years.

im not saying its a good thing, just that as an editor in chief you have aback bone and stand by thereview.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
And remember, this is how they treat Vice. Really paints all the 10 out 10s from little sites like GAMELIKER.COM in perspective.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Okay yeah you're right, I only want to spread hate and negativity to the world cause I don't like a video game and the shitty work environment it comes from, and for thinking that Sony PR is in the wrong for trying to get someone who was critical about the game to change their review.
It's clear you aren't genuine and yes all you want to do is spread negativity about this game. It's pretty obvious with the hyperbole and twisting of words that it is your goal and bringing up totally unrelated things as strawman arguments. It's clear no matter what they do you will hate on them. Way to go.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I hate that there's so much bullshit surrounding this game. It feels like legitimate criticism, interesting conversations and important perspectives on representation are getting buried under alt-right/"gamer" snowflake outrage and misinformation, tall poppy syndrome, Sony/ND fanboyism, dumb twitter feuds, and now this.

That said, I'm glad Sony is being called out on this, I just wish there hadn't been anything to be called out in the first place. This sort of PR pressure is gross and so unnecessary (I don't care if it's polite). This game has been controversial for all of the wrong reasons and it's disappointing.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
just look at botw stans after it didn't reach perfect 10s across the board
Uvh7Yke.gif

Rods

May 1, 2020
I'm not surprised at all, this is what i expect from ND and Sony at this point.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like how so many people in here want to shit on people for "not reading the OP", but then run with the idea that it's just something that happens all the time based on some tweet they obviously didn't read or didn't understand lol. It happening =/= it's not unusual. Several tweets from journalists here have said it's unusual situation, including the person it happened to. Just because it happens doesn't mean it happens all the time.

Not only that, why the need to call and hear a reviewers critical review WHEN YOU COULD HAVE JUST READ THE DAMN THING where he explained it very well. Why not call a reviewer with a positive review and hear his side of the story? Because that one happened to be positive. Feels like a petty power play. I just hope this doesn't affect the reviewer in any way.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I think Vice's take was correct, AND I also respect Druckmann and Naughty Dog for reaching out to Vice to try and explain more about their work.

Guess I'm in a double minority here.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I can't wait to see how many people post they are never buying another Sony/ND game again because of how disgusted they are.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Game creators should have a right to engage with critics about the views on their work and have a dialogue about it, not in a private "please take your review down" way, but in a public back and forth discussion kind of way. It's something that's quite common in other media but way too rare in video games.

Games creators can feel like they're being kept in a very private protective bubble, while critics can come off as overly precious about their work. More direct engagement in a postmortem round table would be pretty cool to see.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Did he "defuse" it by then tweeting about it again afterwards?

I don't know specifics, I'm asking because people are throwing all sorts at his name without ever backing it.

The initial post I quoted stated what's he's been doing on Twitter is stupid, which prompted me to ask what did he do? Then I got a vague reply about him starting "twitter beef", and the only interaction I saw was of him attempting to defuse it. Now you're saying he did something else.

What did he do? What did he tweet about afterwards that was "starting twitter beef"?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm really curious about this game.

There seems to be a LOT of bullshit "criticism" from salty losers who are really angry that the game has minorities in it.
But at the same time, there seems to be a lot of very real criticism about the game itself too, for a lot of other reasons.

When my gf beats the game, she'll let me borrow her PS4 and the game. I'm really looking forward to forming my own opinion on it. (and yes, I've beaten the first game... on a borrowed PS3, years ago lol)

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's clear you aren't genuine and yes all you want to do is spread negativity about this game. It's pretty obvious with the hyperbole and twisting of words that it is your goal and bringing up totally unrelated things as strawman arguments. It's clear no matter what they do you will hate on them. Way to go.
You literally accused me of only wanting to spread negativity to the world over this and I'm the one not being genuine lmao okay

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Just because i spoke about my experience doesn't mean I'm making this about me

There's a huge issue here you seem to be too stubborn to see
If there was an issue I'm sure the reviewer would have said something but there clearly wasn't. You seem to be the one with the issue and all the other people twisting this into something it isn't. The huge issue is how reactionary the internet is with outrage culture.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not important at all, but it's pretty dumb that whenever someone praises Druckmann people are quick to say he didn't do all this on his own, but whenever something like this pops up that doesn't even say his studio reached out, people are putting his name out there. Some are pretty damn transparent and letting their feelings of an individual come out in every thread that remotely deals with him.

you're right, that's not important at all and it's frankly pretty damn rational. when such a toxic workplace culture is dictated from the top down and then people help praise solely to the top it's gonna feel pretty grimy and it's only natural to include all the other human beings whose livelihoods were lessened for the benefit of the product they're creating. likewise when shitty stories come out about these places, it's only natural to hold those at the top with actual power responsible

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point.

I can agree with people discussing about Sony contacting them for feedback about the review.

But we could also be discussing about how bad this review is and how far is from reality. Everyone can have opinions but sometimes you can be wrong and Vice didn't do a good job with the review. Some parts are just plain wrong.

Stop. Just stop.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
So now Rob is lying?

Who is Rob? Why are you emotional about this?

I don't get any of this posturing from any of you. Straight up if you read a review that listed things that just aren't true, you wouldn't say anything different.

Trying to make this an emotional topic is foolish, because who is Rob? I don't care about him.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I guess but Naughty Dog had their own PR team
It's even mentioned in the article that they declined to comment.

I'm just wondering why go to Sony. Because they're bigger and place a bit more pressure?
No because they are the ones that interact with reviewers and distribute review copies

data

Oct 25, 2017
I like how so many people in here want to shit on people for "not reading the OP", but then run with the idea that it's just something that happens all the time based on some tweet they obviously didn't read or didn't understand lol. It happening =/= it's not unusual. Several tweets from journalists here have said it's unusual situation, including the person it happened to. Just because it happens doesn't mean it happens all the time.
Have to agree with this especially with the companies at play here.

Naughty Dog has their own PR company as per the article.

Naughty Dog's PR team declined to comment on Polygon's inquiry about its exchange with Vice

However, at either Naughty Dog's request or Sony's own independent request, they reached out to Vice regarding the ongoings.

I can understand Naughty Dog reaching out for feedback but it feels weird that Sony is stepping in here. In either case, it feels like they're trying to leverage that they're a bigger company and put a bit of pressure, not to change the review but just pressure in general. I would not be surprised if going forward, Vice will no longer recieve Sony 1st party game review copies due to this event.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how this game has made everyone so sensitive. From the fans, the devs, the VAs, critics, we have become hyper sensitive.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
After having played the Last of Us Part 2 and reading the vice article, I also have a problem with some of the conclusions drawn or at least the statements made.

"it's shocking how little has changed. Seattle feels much the same as Boston did in the first game, which was not too dissimilar to Pittsburgh, and so-on."

"all you actually do as a player is follow an obvious path to a clearly-marked crack in the wall leading to the next area."

"Nor is the world particularly dangerous, despite its devastation and horrors: every surprise attack is telegraphed. Enemies always announce themselves, giving you ample time to come up with a plan of attack. It has all the aesthetics of motifs of a survival horror game, yet none of their pushback."

"The Last of Us 2 suggests post-apocalyptic scarcity but in truth the whole world is a great big ammo magazine"

"this might be the least challenging of any of Naughty Dog's action-adventures"

"Nobody ever reconsiders their quest for vengeance. Everyone acts under a kind of vindictive compulsion that goes little remarked and unexamined."

He can hate the the gameplay, the themes, etc. But I think the above are things I would disagree with.
These are some rather reductive points and stating that nobody reconsiders their quest for vengeance is blatantly false.

If a review appears to border on misleading like this I don't think it's wrong for Sony to ask for clarification.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's strange, but it's stranger to have reviews a week before release than can't talk about half the game or even early events, so who knows, everything is peculiar with this case.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have to agree with this especially with the companies at play here.

Naughty Dog has their own PR company as per the article.

However, at either Naughty Dog's request or Sony's own independent request, they reached out to Vice regarding the ongoings.

I can understand Naughty Dog reaching out for feedback but it feels weird that Sony is stepping in here. In either case, it feels like they're trying to leverage that they're a bigger company and put a bit of pressure, not to change the review but just pressure in general. I would not be surprised if going forward, Vice will no longer recieve Sony 1st party game review copies due to this event.

If sony do that they will expose them selves big time, i'm sure they will get ripped a new asshole if they tried it.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone opinion can be valid, If they feel their are inaccuracy with the take. everyone has a right to question them

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

What makes you the arbiter of that? I can vouch for them as being genuine, I've seen their posts in other threads. They are allowed to have a critical opinion.

Meanwhile, speaking of twisting words... you've decided that what was done here is totally fine and professional, just based on a quote you read with seemingly no prior familiarity with how the person in question talks (lol) nor the context of Vice's similar interactions with Sony? While ignoring the rest of the article or how other journalists are talking about how these interactions have gone for them? Is that "genuine"?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Who is Rob? Why are you emotional about this?

I don't get any of this posturing from any of you. Straight up if you read a review that listed things that just aren't true, you wouldn't say anything different.

Trying to make this an emotional topic is foolish, because who is Rob? I don't care about him.

The person who wrote the review and apparently hasn't played the game.