• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Big media outlets need game companies, their advertising money, their access to early materials, their access to exclusives and premieres, etc. to survive, so they essentially have them by the balls. Jim Sterling isn't exaggerating when he says that major media outlets are nothing more than glorified extensions of their advertising/PR departments.

Yeah I don't fault the media outlets, it's just saddening as someone who's always been interested in video game journalism.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am replying to people replying to me, That is all. If I replied to everyone that doesn't like Naughty Dog on this site I'd have thousands of more comments and would never be able to leave the site. Nothing I said was a personal attack.
You accused me of "just wanting to spread hate". As well as "just wanting to keep adding more negativity to the world" earlier.

Oct 25, 2017
"more importantly" lol

that's possibly the least important thing about this thread

Not important at all, but it's pretty dumb that whenever someone praises Druckmann people are quick to say he didn't do all this on his own, but whenever something like this pops up that doesn't even say his studio reached out, people are putting his name out there. Some are pretty damn transparent and letting their feelings of an individual come out in every thread that remotely deals with him.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
This isn't a discussion about a videogame, this is about power dinamics and media outlets being cogs in the PR machine, or more than that.

It seems that they're just cogs for you.
It should be a discussion about a video game creator asking for clarification of a review of something they created because they did not understand. It is you who is making it anything beyond for your own personal reasons.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After having played the Last of Us Part 2 and reading the vice article, I also have a problem with some of the conclusions drawn or at least the statements made.

"it's shocking how little has changed. Seattle feels much the same as Boston did in the first game, which was not too dissimilar to Pittsburgh, and so-on."

"all you actually do as a player is follow an obvious path to a clearly-marked crack in the wall leading to the next area."

"Nor is the world particularly dangerous, despite its devastation and horrors: every surprise attack is telegraphed. Enemies always announce themselves, giving you ample time to come up with a plan of attack. It has all the aesthetics of motifs of a survival horror game, yet none of their pushback."

"The Last of Us 2 suggests post-apocalyptic scarcity but in truth the whole world is a great big ammo magazine"

"this might be the least challenging of any of Naughty Dog's action-adventures"

"Nobody ever reconsiders their quest for vengeance. Everyone acts under a kind of vindictive compulsion that goes little remarked and unexamined."

He can hate the the gameplay, the themes, etc. But I think the above are things I would disagree with.
You would... disagree with them?
They're all on-point.

But that's really beside the point. PR hitting up isn't a developer going to a critic and saying "Hey i'm really interested in your opinion on X", it's "Don't you know who you're talking shit about?"

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
You accused me of "just wanting to spread hate". As well as "just wanting to keep adding more negativity to the world" earlier.
That's literally what you are doing. That isn't a personal attack. It is pointing out the obvious. Like stating someone is making a joke when making a joke... except the opposite here.

May 15, 2019
dyJwT2m.png

data

Oct 25, 2017
It should be a discussion about a video game creator asking for clarification of a review of something they created because they did not understand. It is you who is making it anything beyond for your own personal reasons.

I think that would be fine if it was Naughty Dog asking for clarification. I'm not sure why Sonymore specifically Sony's PR firm had to step in.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
You are wrong. The people doing the contacting are never directly threatening or demanding someone to be fired. They want to apply pressure and make their dissatisfaction known so that next time you think about the score very carefully or risk being blacklisted. Listen to the people who have actual experience in these situations. Do you really think that all of these people, both Era users with experience and journalists that tweeted about this, don't understand what the intention was?

Not always....sometimes you contact a journalist or a journalist contact you to get feedback about and article or a media piece.

C'mon is perfectly normal have a call or take a coffee with a journalist to get feedback. If you are dealing with media outlets and critics is perfectly fine to sit with them or call them.

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is comically inflating what a bad person Druckmann is. He is simply at the VP of a large Company in an Industry that is known for treating it´s employees like shit and fosters a culture of secrecy and unethical business practices. If Naughty Dog were active in any other Field and did not make a Product most of this Forum loves, he (and many others) would be put on blast constantly and way more aggressive than now.
It´s less about Druckmann/ND and this PR-Phonecall specifically and more about the whole Industry.
No, sorry but this just isn't true. You have threads where people are talking about events that occurred a decade ago and laying the blame at Druckmann's feet, you have people attributing quotes made by other developers to him as a way of attacking him, you have people insinuating he's a racist. And that's just from today! It seems to be oddly personal on here with him.

I want to make it clear though: I'm not talking about crunch here, by all means put him and ND on blast for that. They deserve all the criticism and need to change their culture.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is fucking pathetic. Its a shame such a great game has been surrounded with nonstop controversy from virtually all sides. And no, the clarification that it wasn't oppositional doesn't make it better.

He made fun of someone's bad "Schindler's List" take and tweeted "video games are too long"

Neither one of those things warrants dog-piling or being called a bully
Some fans have had a seriously hard time coming to terms with this here tho. Its hilarious watching people act like Jason did something wrong by calling out that tweet.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Man this reminds me of the couple of times that Jim Sterling was contacted my PR reps when he used to review games for a living.

It's so asinine. He's been previously described as a "wildcard" by publishers because he can't be relied upon to give a consistently high score for certain games and IPs, and blacklisted for being open and honest.

In-short, any publisher who contacts an outlet should be told to kindly shove it. This industry is rife enough with snakery already

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
While I do absolutely think it is rather odd that Sony's PR contacted Zacny. I don't at all think he would hold back information that he was or felt that he was intimidated, harassed, or any other untoward behavior if it occurred. So, I am not jumping for any side here. Wish more people didn't, but this is the internet and all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am happy that it was reported, nonetheless.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's literally what you are doing. That isn't a personal attack. It is pointing out the obvious. Like stating someone is making a joke when making a joke... except the opposite here.
Okay yeah you're right, I only want to spread hate and negativity to the world cause I don't like a video game and the shitty work environment it comes from, and for thinking that Sony PR is in the wrong for trying to get someone who was critical about the game to change their review.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It does. I'm playing in normal and a marker pops up (grey circle) that points to your next goal if you spend too long in one area.

Yeah, like that's not what the review was saying anyway but they do, in fact, do this. I'm actually playing with the "press L3 to see where to go to progress" and "listening scans for items" (I never use the enemy scan function, for context of me talking about combat difficulty) because I want to avoid progressing so I can get collectibles, and so I've had the "look over where you're supposed to go" thing happen a lot.

(Note that even the L3 accessibility thing doesn't really indicate more than the very general direction, until you're literally right by the destination. It's clearly just building a path to the destination and aiming you towards the closest point on it. Which actually is pretty annoying, since it makes it hard to tell where not to go since multiple exits to a room/area can suddenly become the place it points to, and so on.)

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jun 2, 2019

Just because i spoke about my experience doesn't mean I'm making this about me

There's a huge issue here you seem to be too stubborn to see

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I will stop following all gaming news for few months, this amounts of hate and negativity is insane..can't see myself reading this news on 10 other news site and 100 YouTube videos.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The vice review was the only one worth a damn. Every other one read like "the last of us might be too good".

It's a terrible review. Anyone that played 1 knows that 2 improved mostly every system, and that's not even considering the animations and new mechanics. The review reads like someone who's gripes with the plot stained their views on the games' gameplay.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't fault the media outlets, it's just saddening as someone who's always been interested in video game journalism.

Well you can always hope to make it on a smaller independent outlet, but you'd best bring something quite unique to the table in terms of what you cover and how you present it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
No, sorry but this just isn't true. You have threads where people are talking about events that occurred a decade ago and laying the blame at Druckmann's feet, you have people attributing quotes made by other developers to him as a way of attacking him, you have people insinuating he's a racist. And that's just from today! It seems to be oddly personal on here with him.

I want to make it clear though: I'm not talking about crunch here, by all means put him and ND on blast for that. They deserve all the criticism and need to change their culture.

I was referring to this thread specifically.
And yes, in other threads there is some exaggeration going on but i honestly find it sometimes hard to differentiate between actual personal attacks and DRUCKMAAAAANN memes.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
You would... disagree with them?
They're all on-point.

But that's really beside the point. PR hitting up isn't a developer going to a critic and saying "Hey i'm really interested in your opinion on X", it's "Don't you know who you're talking shit about?"
From my experience with he game. Absolutely Yes. The last bullet point about no one questioning the vengeance is so incredibly wrong. Besides some key and pivotal scenes in the game that would be spoilers, you can see someone doing that the final story trailer.

Did you play it?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that second tweet is fucked up. What the hell Sony?

It's probably worth noting for people that missed where that link is pointing: Austin is talking about this happening when he worked at Vice as the EIC. Which is to say this is the direct context Rob receiving that message was in!

data

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't have to step in, they did it at the request of Naughty Dog.
I guess but Naughty Dog had their own PR team
It's even mentioned in the article that they declined to comment.

I'm just wondering why go to Sony. Because they're bigger and place a bit more pressure?

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It's a terrible review. Anyone that played 1 knows that 2 improved mostly every system, and that's not even considering the animations and new mechanics. The review reads like someone who's gripes with the plot stained their views on the games' gameplay.

That's the point.

I can agree with people discussing about Sony contacting them for feedback about the review.

But we could also be discussing about how bad this review is and how far is from reality. Everyone can have opinions but sometimes you can be wrong and Vice didn't do a good job with the review. Some parts are just plain wrong.

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
User Banned (3 Days): Ableist Language
I remember the start of the 360/ps3 generation when i did reviews some companies had 9mbargoes like EA and UBI. At least back then people knew what to expect, yet this is more retarded than that.