• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
VICE farming the clicks on top of the anti-LGBTQ rage inflicted on TLOU2..

I think negative reviews of TLOU2 are fine. I think it's a highly flawed game. Some of the things the VICE review says though.. can't be someone who's played it

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Zacny talked about the game on one of the latest Triple Click podcasts, I found his and Maddy's opinions on the game really interesting and insightful.

Embarrassing that Sony had to "reach on behalf of ND". It's a game, not the gospel...

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they told them to put his name up there amongst the Miyamotos, Sakaguchis and other all timers.

Jun 2, 2019
Why not? Why are they not allowed to discuss things with people who review their games? They can get some great feedback. It doesn't make any sense that they can't contact each other.

The feedback is already in the review. As i said, i got enough of this shit in the past, i even got blacklisted by a publisher since i didn't gave them the numbers they want.

It's infuriating.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is from the Vice review:

" The Last of Us Part II feels complacent, yet also preoccupied with its predecessor. Every facet of the original game has been expanded and enlarged in the sequel, but not actually improved. "

What? Now I understand why SONY PR contacted them.
i dont see whats wrong...sounds like how someone would describe many sequels. banjo tooie, for example.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017

" The Last of Us Part II feels complacent, yet also preoccupied with its predecessor. Every facet of the original game has been expanded and enlarged in the sequel, but not actually improved. "

You are continuing to make a fool of yourself. Take a step back and realize people can have different, equally valid opinions about this game

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Giantbomb had a hotspot podcast episode that discussed game reviews back in the gamespot days and they def talked about this. Said that publishers will often times contact a site wanting to discuss the score and such even though they never change it

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What a shitshow this has all been, since the leaks.

Thankfully the game is out and it's incredible so even if ND crashes and burns we still have the game lmao.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
This is nothing.

After having played the Last of Us Part 2 and reading the vice article, I also have a problem with some of the conclusions drawn or at least the statements made.

"it's shocking how little has changed. Seattle feels much the same as Boston did in the first game, which was not too dissimilar to Pittsburgh, and so-on."

"all you actually do as a player is follow an obvious path to a clearly-marked crack in the wall leading to the next area."

"Nor is the world particularly dangerous, despite its devastation and horrors: every surprise attack is telegraphed. Enemies always announce themselves, giving you ample time to come up with a plan of attack. It has all the aesthetics of motifs of a survival horror game, yet none of their pushback."

"The Last of Us 2 suggests post-apocalyptic scarcity but in truth the whole world is a great big ammo magazine"

"this might be the least challenging of any of Naughty Dog's action-adventures"

"Nobody ever reconsiders their quest for vengeance. Everyone acts under a kind of vindictive compulsion that goes little remarked and unexamined."

He can hate the the gameplay, the themes, etc. But I think the above are things I would disagree with.
Wtf? This reads like the reviewer obviously played on the easiest difficulty and then chose to complain about it being too easy.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
giphy.gif

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It's fun how people who accuse others here for not reading the article only focus on that one line as if it makes what Sony did here okay. Like, weird how nobody who says it was okay cause it was "cordial" brings up the reason why Sony reached out in the first place:

Like, do y'all think Sony also reached out to reviewers who weren't critical? Also, nobody here is outraged. It's pretty blatant when people say others are "outraged" that it's to act as if the other argument is overly emotional.
They brought up a concern with the review and asked for clarification. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. And yes it was cordial which is the opposite of confrontational or intimidating like 95% of the comments are saying. And yes there is plenty of outrage. It's pretty easy to see that.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"it's shocking how little has changed. Seattle feels much the same as Boston did in the first game, which was not too dissimilar to Pittsburgh, and so-on."

"all you actually do as a player is follow an obvious path to a clearly-marked crack in the wall leading to the next area."

"The Last of Us 2 suggests post-apocalyptic scarcity but in truth the whole world is a great big ammo magazine
"

"this might be the least challenging of any of Naughty Dog's action-adventures"

This is factually wrong

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I think negative reviews of TLOU2 are fine. I think it's a highly flawed game. Some of the things the VICE review says though.. can't be someone who's played it

Lmao, Rob is probably like one of the best critical reviewers in the industry by a pretty wide margin. Get that shit out of here.

Price Drop

Oct 30, 2017
Not surprising that the games media industry hasn't grown up much in the past 20 years. It isn't out of the realm for game PR companies to stop sending review copies or disinvite writers to events after a negative review. While it's their right to choose outlets for coverage, they use access as leverage all the time instead of just respecting both favorable and unfavorable writing.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It does make me wonder, what if a review flat out gets something wrong?

Is it still considered poor form to contact them?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Yeah vice just made everything in their review up to get clicks. Ethics in gaming journalism and all that

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The feedback is already in the review. As i said, i got enough of this shit in the past, i even got blacklisted by a publisher since i didn't gave them the numbers they want.

It's infuriating.
They didn't understand something in the review so they wanted further clarification. Again there is nothing wrong with that as long as it was done respectfully which sounds like this was.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the person who this was directed at get to decide if they were harassed or intimidated?

Also this forum has threads and threads dedicated to discussing other people's views and reviews of video games, so clearly there is sometimes discussion and nuance that can stem from that that you cannot always get from just "reading the review".
You normally have good takes, so let me pose this question to you: doesn't the fact that multiple game journos are bristling at Sony doing this suggest that, at the very least, reviewers find this tactic somewhat unusual and also a bit uncomfortable?

I think there's a pretty big difference between randoms discussing amongst themselves on an internet forum and a publisher contacting a reviewer after the review is written to 'clarify' aspects of their opinion

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Btw, it would be nice to know if he was the only reviewer that was approached by Sony, there were several people with more negative opinions about the game(in reviews, obviously). So it is expected that more people have been contacted besides this Vice journalist.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I remember talking about all the biases and pressures that go into video game reviews before the launch of the game and nobody wanted to hear it

This shit is just wrong. And if any company does it call them out on this. I remember reading up on this stuff like a decade ago with some old COD games and it's still going on.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Y'all are really cute.
"It was completely cordial"
"How dare Naughty Dog!!!!" (It was Sony btw not ND)
Everyone looking to react to a nonstory.

Jun 2, 2019
They didn't understand something in the review so they wanted further clarification. Again there is nothing wrong with that as long as it was done respectfully which sounds like this was.

In other words, one of the cogs in the PR machine wasn't greased enough and they wanted to know why

I repeat: I have already experienced this.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know about that Troy Baker tweet. Extremely childish thing to do especially considering the context.

But yeah the discourse around the game is toxic. Anyone praising or being critical of it gets bombarded regardless of how legitimate their opinion is. All assumptions of good faith have been thrown out the window. The fact developers and staff have felt the need to fuel the fire instead of try to be reasonable figures isn't helping.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They brought up a concern with the review and asked for clarification. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. And yes it was cordial which is the opposite of confrontational or intimidating like 95% of the comments are saying. And yes there is plenty of outrage. It's pretty easy to see that.
Sure bud

Oct 25, 2017

Yikes.

It's almost like people can have different experiences and interpretations of the same product...

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Nothing is confusing.. they are just wrong.

You can't say the game didn't improve over the original. It's 100% the opposite.

How can someone's opinion be wrong?

Jesus fucking Christ this is why discourse on video games will never evolve because people continue to view them as objective concepts instead of anything in the abstract.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing is confusing.. they are just wrong.

You can't say the game didn't improve over the original. It's 100% the opposite.
It looks better, especially the animations but the gameplay does feel very much the same with many of the same scenarios. Even puzzles aren't too different aside from a handful of ones involving rope.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

It is embarrassing that you think having a negative opinion of a game merits the company's PR staff reaching out and asking for a more detailed explanation of why you didn't like their game.