• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Waters

Mar 17, 2018
People should stop calling this just a bad communication thing. Its not. They have being doing that a lot lately so its on purpose, like the upgrade path and the HFW pricing stuff. They are always making "mistakes" that just hurt the consumers and not them. So this is not a bug, its a feature. They are acting on bad faith.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
1 and 2: Developers can code their games to transfer saves from last gen to current gen without these limitations.
They can now, but even with this newly updated system capability it seemingly only allows one way transfer so if you want seamless transfer across generations both ways developers need to code their own save transfer system and file hosting platform. Conversely Smart Delivery means they don't even need to think about this at all, let alone build something new for a single platform.

3: Who can set up a modern game console or operate a smartphone or setup a modern hdtv or sign up and setup a video streaming service but can't figure out how to download the correct version of a game ? I've had the ps5 since launch day, as well as a few friends, and none of us have ever downloaded the wrong version of a game. Not even once.
You forget how bad the PS5 UI was on day 1. I've run global IT platforms for international companies, I write software - some of which has been used by people on this forum - yet the UI was so bad that I managed to install some animated Sackboy adventure thing instead of the PS5 version of Sackboy. I quickly realised my mistake but previously we've had reports of people playing the PS4 version of CoD Cold War for weeks before they realised.
Let's not pretend you have to be dumb to make these kinds of mistakes, many people made them because the PS5 & Store UI/UX was terrible. It's better now but I'd argue it's still got a long way to go.

4: Plenty of sony first party games have had free upgrades on the ps5.
And they've been super clear that's no longer happening, you'll pay your £10 for those resolution & FPS upgrades and they don't care if other companies - some on the same platform - give the same thing out for free.

At the end of the day, a single game being so poorly optimised for PS5 that playing the last gen version is a better experience doesn't make "dumb delivery" better than Smart Delivery. There's legitimate reasons you may want to play a last-gen version (e.g. you don't care for the performance/graphics benefits and want to play from external storage) but lets be honest, that's an edge case at best.
You're happy with dumb delivery? Brilliant, happy for you, doesn't make it a better system for the rest of us.

As for the actual topic of this thread. I was lucky enough to stack up a few years of PS Now but this acton is inexcusable. They advertised PS+ as being stackable for years, then allowed people to buy them for 4 days before they told people that they'd changed how the cards work and you can't use them as advertised until June and refused refunds. That's got to be skirting on the edges of consumer protection laws in Europe at least.

Last edited:

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
"Finally! I'm getting that Rolls Royce I saved up my whole life for!"

"Here you go, Sir. One Geo Prizm."

"But-- I bought a Rolls Royce..."

"You bought a car. You're still getting a car. You're just getting less of a car than you paid for."

Y'all are wild.
Forgot the part where people bought "PlayStation Plus Premium" gift codes.

Disabling redemption until launch is trademark Sony dumb energy, as is not communicating the change.

But what was the intent behind stacking apart from just getting the higher tier for less money. It was always going to be a gamble, especially with how Sony is right now.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
That should be the case, yes. Assuming you aren't subscribed to Now already. And assuming that Sony don't make more changes to their policies.

Awesome just bought a 3 month PSN code for £18 (never subscribed before) and my existing ps+ expires in Nov 2025.

Does that mean I'll now be on the highest PS+ premium tier until Nov 2025?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the whole point of this change that you can't stack at all? If you already have PS+ you can't add more. If you already have Now you can't add more.
AFAIK Now is still stackable.

Awesome just bought a 3 month PSN code for £18 (never subscribed before) and my existing ps+ expires in Nov 2025.

It should. Some people have chosen to interpret PlayStation's communication as meaning it'll only run until the anniversary of your current plus sub though. I and most others took it to mean for the full duration of your plus stacks.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

The language on the website is:

If you are subscribed to both services when the new PlayStation Plus launches, you will be migrated into the PlayStation Plus Premium membership plan and you will have a new single payment date based on the longer of your two subscriptions. You will be notified via email of your new payment date and subscription fee.

So I think so, yes.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
AFAIK Now is still stackable.

It should. Some people have chosen to interpret PlayStation's communication as meaning it'll only run until the anniversary of your current plus sub though. I and most others took it to mean for the full duration of your plus stacks.

The language on the website is:

If you are subscribed to both services when the new PlayStation Plus launches, you will be migrated into the PlayStation Plus Premium membership plan and you will have a new single payment date based on the longer of your two subscriptions. You will be notified via email of your new payment date and subscription fee.

So I think so, yes.

Awesome, thanks

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
User Banned (1 Week): Platform warring, long list of previous infractions
God I hope Microsoft smashes Sony's teeth in this gen.

They've become so anti consumer it's all I think about when I turn my 5 on, I will be buying all my PS5 games used.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know where to aks this but since it's a thread about the problems of both PS Plus and NOW so it works here then :p
You know multiple games will leave NOW in few days including the permanent ones and many did before and other come and go for few weeks. I wnat to know if this is like PS Plus monthly games, if we download the timed games while they are offered, do we still keep them after they get removed? What happens to the downloaded games when they leave PS NOW? I know games leave Game Pass too. Do they face the same outcome too? I am still not very convinced with both services because of that.
For exmaple, some games may take months or even years to have full content and get fully fixed yet they could be offered during the first months then leave in the next month like GTA Vice City. Others may take hundreds of hours to finish yet they come and go quickly. I know they are bound to some timed contracts but since the offer costs more so we need to have the games stay for longer periods.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
tumblr-nqfit4mzwm1tu80cno1-400.gif

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know where to aks this but since it's a thread about the problems of both PS Plus and NOW so it works here then :p
You know multiple games will leave NOW in few days including the permanent ones and many did before and other come and go for few weeks. I wnat to know if this is like PS Plus monthly games, if we download the timed games while they are offered, do we still keep them after they get removed? What happens to the downloaded games when they leave PS NOW? I know games leave Game Pass too. Do they face the same outcome too? I am still not very convinced with both services because of that.
For exmaple, some games may take months or even years to have full content and get fully fixed yet they could be offered during the first months then leave in the next month like GTA Vice City. Others may take hundreds of hours to finish yet they come and go quickly. I know they are bound to some timed contracts but since the offer costs more so we need to have the games stay for longer periods.

Once a game has been removed from Now you can no longer play it. This is the same as Gamepass.

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
Not sure if it's related or not, but I've just got an email from Playstation telling me about an "upcoming payment" for my Plus subscription, despite the fact that I've got auto-renewal turned off...

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Any news on being able to turn off auto renew? I'm guessing only after the new system launches. Which is weird because it goes against what they're trying to do here. I could understand not being able to turn it on.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's related or not, but I've just got an email from Playstation telling me about an "upcoming payment" for my Plus subscription, despite the fact that I've got auto-renewal turned off...
Now the fun begins

If true and they pushed people into auto renewal…..yikes

Hold on to your butts

Oct 27, 2017
Love how this thread is full of people "losing their goodwill for Sony" who likely never had any goodwill to begin with lol
This is a bit of an odd statement to me.

What group of people do you think are most likely to want to lock themselves into the Playstation ecosystem for years? The people who 'lost out' most in this scenario (i.e. those who purchased PS Plus codes to stack for the conversion into Premium between the initial announcement and the follow-up announcement of stacking being stopped) are likely those most passionate about Playstation games and services.

EDIT:
Now the fun begins

If true and they pushed people into auto renewal…..yikes

Hold on to your butts
I would think there is almost zero possibility auto-renewal was flipped. Auto-renewal is turned on by default when you renew a membership I believe. Most likely, if auto-renewal is enabled on their account, the user had turned it on (or not noticed it being on) at some point.

If auto-renewal is still showing as off on their account but they received an email, it's likely some problem with their CRM email journeys/CRM data.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I would suggest you log in to your PSN Account and check your Subscriptions Management to make sure that Auto-Renew is turned off. You can't get the money back once they take it from you.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Wow I can't believe they decided to do this. Like they thought the gain from a decision like this would outweigh the negative press/feedback/backlash from customers?? I don't know about that and some higher ups are prob sweating this big time right now.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
People should stop calling this just a bad communication thing. Its not. They have being doing that a lot lately so its on purpose, like the upgrade path and the HFW pricing stuff. They are always making "mistakes" that just hurt the consumers and not them. So this is not a bug, its a feature. They are acting on bad faith.
Pretty much, until they are really called out on it and it hurts the bottom line this scummy practice will continue

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
I would suggest you log in to your PSN Account and check your Subscriptions Management to make sure that Auto-Renew is turned off. You can't get the money back once they take it from you.
Yeah, I've logged in to check and it is showing as turned off.

However, as an experiment I decided to see what would happen if I selected to turn it on. Got a confirmation message that if I OK'd it would auto renew and payment would be taken on "Invalid date".

Classic PSN.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah, I've logged in to check and it is showing as turned off.

However, as an experiment I decided to see what would happen if I selected to turn it on. Got a confirmation message that if I OK'd it would auto renew and payment would be taken on "Invalid date".

Classic PSN.
Yikes. It seems like Spartacus was in the works for a while, but it appears that they didn't properly consider all the ramifications of their service changes.

Oct 30, 2017
For a small percentage of people that's doing this the response from Sony seems a bit over zealous!

Was considering getting a Now code for the cheeky premium but as it's a service I know I'd barely use or my interest was minimal anyway so didn't overly look into it.

Now I'm just confused what's going on and what would happen if I get a cheeky Now code

Chuff knows how those who have plus and now are thinking now

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Why would anyone at Sony be fired over this? At the end of the day a small group of people were taking advantage of this and they put a stop to it. The average person does not go to a store and buy multi year worth gift card subscriptions

You're right that this is probably affecting a small number of people, but for me that makes it even more confusing.

The people it's affecting are the most informed, the most up-to-date consumers out there, the ones with disposable income that follow gaming news (that's how they found out about the staging deal in the first place), and the ones that are making recommendations to friends/family.

These are generally the people you try to appeal to. If it's a small number of people, then the hit you take from not getting everything out of them that you can is made up for on the backend when they spend more money in your ecosystem and convince friends to buy in.

I don't think anyone's getting fired, but it's hard to see this as anything other than a PR blunder. They're pissing off the group that's most likely to make a big deal out of it, and doing it for probably not that big of a monetary gain.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
Even Sony first party games work that way though. It's obviously a system limitation.

It's extremely obvious that it is not a system limitation. This was the case when the ps5 launched but it hasn't been since at least june 2021.
Ghost Of Tsushima and Horizon Forbidden West are both sony first party games and both allow you to transfer ps4 version saves to the ps5 versions straight from the in game menu. Same case for Elden Ring and Jedi Fallen Order.
The only step you need to take before transferring the saves to ps5 is to ensure the ps4 save is in the ps5 console storage, which is dead simple to do via either cloud storage or a usb thumbdrive.

Ghost Of Tsushima:
To transfer a PS4 save to #GhostOfTsushima Director's Cut on PS5, have it in your PS5 storage and select "Transfer PS4 Console Save" on the menu (we recommend downloading the latest patch first).

Horizon Forbidden West:
Launch Horizon Forbidden West
Once the game loads, from the title screen select "Import Game From PlayStation 4"
Select the save file you want to import
Once the import is complete, the save file will automatically load.

Elden Ring:
On PlayStation 5, ensure your console has the PS4 save data on system storage (either from previous PS4 version playtime on the console, download from Cloud storage, or transfer via USB stick). From there, there will be a "Import PS4 System Save Data" prompt on the start-up screen. Simply select that option and you will be able to utilize your older save data.

Jedi Fallen Order:
On PlayStation 5, ensure your console has the PS4 save data on system storage (either from previous PS4 version playtime on the console, download from Cloud storage, or transfer via USB stick). From there, there will be a "Import PS4 System Save Data" prompt on the start-up screen. Simply select that option and you will be able to utilize your older save data.

Nov 14, 2017
It's extremely obvious that it is not a system limitation. This was the case when the ps5 launched but it hasn't been since at least june 2021.
Ghost Of Tsushima and Horizon Forbidden West are both sony first party games and both allow you to transfer ps4 version saves to the ps5 versions straight from the in game menu. Same case for Elden Ring and Jedi Fallen Order.
The only step you need to take before transferring the saves to ps5 is to ensure the ps4 save is in the ps5 console storage, which is dead simple to do via either cloud storage or a usb thumbdrive.

Ghost Of Tsushima:
To transfer a PS4 save to #GhostOfTsushima Director's Cut on PS5, have it in your PS5 storage and select "Transfer PS4 Console Save" on the menu (we recommend downloading the latest patch first).

Horizon Forbidden West:
Launch Horizon Forbidden West
Once the game loads, from the title screen select "Import Game From PlayStation 4"
Select the save file you want to import
Once the import is complete, the save file will automatically load.

Elden Ring:

Jedi Fallen Order:
Right, so Insomniac forced us to do online save transfer because they don't understand how the system works, while you do. They should hire you as a consultant for your expertise.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely a communications issue. They 100% needed to communicate on Tuesday, along with the rest of the information, that new code stacking was currently disabled until the launch of the new-look service. That's it, there is then zero problem, zero massive rant threads, zero unhappy customers.

It is bordering on conspiracy theory to think someone somewhere at the high echelons of Sony management intentionally decided to implement the stacking block while silencing communication about it to specifically trick a handful of people like KBsaint and digitalrelic in to buying third-party PS+ codes they can neither use or refund at the moment. Though, that is ultimately what happened of course.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
Right, so Insomniac forced us to do online save transfer because they don't understand how the system works, while you do. They should hire you as a consultant for your expertise.

You claimed it was a system limitation, I provided clear evidence from four games, two of which are sony first party games, that that is no longer the case. And you're choosing to double down on your claim ?
The instructions I provided were straight from the developers of these games themselves.
So who's more likely to be correct here, the people who developed these games and who work with the ps5 for a living ? Or you ?
As I said, it was a limitation when the system launched, but it hasn't been since june 2021.
Stop spreading fud and misinformation.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Huh? Spiderman was a launch game. Giving PS5 games access to PS4 cloud saves came alongside Tsushima Director's Cut mid 2021.

You claimed it was a system limitation, I provided clear evidence from four games, two of which are sony first party games, that that is no longer the case. And you're choosing to double down on your claim ?
The instructions I provided were straight from the developers of these games themselves.
So who's more likely to be correct here, the people who developed these games ? Or you ?
As I said, it was a limitation when the system launched, but it hasn't been since june 2021.
Stop spreading fud and misinformation.
Read above. It was a system limitation, and they changed it. It's crazy it launched in that state though, and it's also super weird that it's only cloud saves - which again, speaks to a system limitation stopping titles reading local save data from the same title but a different generation.

Edit: Also, if it's cloud save only then that means the problem still exists! It just means Sony is letting devs hack around the issue using PSN cloud saves - which you have to pay for - so they don't have to create their own save upload servers. That's not a real solution.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
The most hardcore of apologists are in here going to bat for a company. A company they like. A brand they like.

OP
OP
Shoot

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure? I canceled a new sub after a few days and got a refund really easily. I was actually surprised how smooth and easy it was compared to my other experiences with Sony support.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
As a hardcore detractor I really like Playstation brand that's why I wanted locked in. It will suck switching platforms but it is what it is.
How many months did you buy

I'm upset they're penny pinching those who are likely spending the most on their services anyway.

It's actually odd. There can't be that many people stacking up. I obviously don't know how many people were trying but i know a ton of casual gamers and they didn't even have a clue ps+ was changing anyway.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many months did you buy
Just 24 months. I easily spend that kind of money within 2 months on PSN. It's more about how I feel like they view their customers with no recourse for refund. The entire process has felt like fuck you deal with it every step of the way. The thing that really got me was being told I don't know when you can redeem it and instantly ending chat and being greeted with a message "It appears you are trying to contact support too soon. Try again in 24 hours." Why not just write fuck off.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
Read above. It was a system limitation, and they changed it. It's crazy it launched in that state though, and it's also super weird that it's only cloud saves - which again, speaks to a system limitation stopping titles reading local save data from the same title but a different generation.
Edit: Also, if it's cloud save only then that means the problem still exists! It just means Sony is letting devs hack around the issue using PSN cloud saves - which you have to pay for - so they don't have to create their own save upload servers. That's not a real solution.

Read above. Seriously, do you even read what other posters have actually posted when you reply to them ?
The line above, where I clearly state "This was the case when the ps5 launched but it hasn't been since at least june 2021" is from my very first reply to you in this thread. I actually pointed it out before you.
And again, there is absolutely no limitation on a system level regarding ps5 native apps reading ps4 saves from the consoles storage. It has nothing to do with "only cloud saves" whatever that is supposed to mean. The only prerequisite for transferring ps4 saves for the games I listed the instructions for to their ps5 versions, is that the ps4 version save be present in the consoles storage. Which is done easily either via cloud or via usb drive. Which I also already posted in my initial reply to you.
And again, that requirement is clearly stated in the instructions straight from the developers themselves for the games I listed.
The fact that this is all possible is crystal clear evidence that ps5 native games reading ps4 game save data from the consoles storage is no longer a limitation of the system.
And who gives a shit that it was a system limitation at launch, if it's no longer a limitation now, and hasn't been for almost a year now which is clearly the case ?
Seriously, read and comprehend what people are saying to you before you reply to them.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
has anyone tested the "extend" subscription option/button on PS5? does that no longer work either?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Are you sure? I canceled a new sub after a few days and got a refund really easily. I was actually surprised how smooth and easy it was compared to my other experiences with Sony support.
Hmm. I was only going by what I've read here in the past. It seems like your experience is different from what I'm familiar with, and that sounds like a pretty good improvement if it's a universal policy.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Person who sold me my ps now codes (that were legit) got banned from eBay and I got a refund.

Lol. They were making a killing on ps now codes and eBay cancelled all the purchases after they sent the codes out. Weird. I got free pn now codes but still.

Got mine at 30 dollars but as demand kept going up price skyrocketed