• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Oh, God. Imagine being stuck with 10 years of this kind of service. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll take it away before then, though. 🤦‍♂️

"Looks like you're lost". Very apt for Sony this week. What they fuck are they doing at the moment.
The New PlayStation Plus |OT| Looks Like You're Lost

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
More choice stuff from Sony.

I was already loving the 175% price increase and how any announcement in the last two years has to be followed up with 500 different articles/twitter posts to clarify it so this is a cool new thing.

Genuine question, my PS+ renewal is up soon and I usually buy cheap credit, add it my account and renew that way.

Anyone know If I would still be able to redeem the credit codes to extend it like that? I still have some credit which I was planning to buy PSNow with (to get that sweet converstion deal)

Is it worth it or am I best just waiting till June

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They updated the page. As we feared.
www.playstation.com

PlayStation®Plus | Hundreds of games to download and play, PlayStation classics, game trials and more

Join PlayStation Plus on an Essential, Extra or Premium membership plan and get hundreds of PS4 and PS5 games, online multiplayer, classics catalog, exclusive discounts and more.

I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it before the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
  • If you are not a current member of the service the voucher is for, you can redeem your voucher using PS4, PS5, Web and Mobile App. Click here for instructions. If you join PlayStation Plus and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will transition into PlayStation Plus Essential. If you join PlayStation Now and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will automatically migrate to the PlayStation Plus Premium.
  • If you currently have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now membership, due to changes we are making to the service prior to launch, you won't be able to redeem a voucher code for that service until your existing membership expires and deactivates, or after the new PlayStation Plus service launches in your area, whichever happens first. Rest assured that your voucher code is still valid. See next question for further information.
I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it after the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
If you do not have an active membership:

• The PlayStation Plus voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Essential for the length of time denoted on your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to one month of PlayStation Plus Essential.
  • The PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Premium for the length of time equivalent to the monetary value of your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Now voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
If you are an existing customer:

• The PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will be converted to a length of time on your current PlayStation Plus membership plan equivalent to the monetary value of the voucher you are redeeming. For example, a 1-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Extra or approximately 2.5 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
edited: to include omitted question.
Insane. Just completely fucking over anyone that bought PS+ codes for conversion.

I knew this would be the case, but even so, reading it straight from Sony is something. I'm flabbergasted.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My SX was just going to be my GP machine now i'm going to buy all multiplats on there.

Just fuming with all of this. Going to now jump through hoops to try and get a refund, which i doubt i'll get.

Anyone in the UK know who i can write to, to complain about this bullshit?

They are only getting my apex legends money. All exclusives will be bought on sale I'm going out of my way to penny pinch them like they did me.

Yeah will do the same as well.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know If I would still be able to redeem the credit codes to extend it like that? I still have some credit which I was planning to buy PSNow with (to get that sweet converstion deal)
You can still redeem credit, but if you are a current subscriber to PS+, you can't extend at all. Not via cards, credit, or other payment methods. You'll have to wait until June, or if your sub experires earlier, until then.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The post here with that information is missing some context. That part is for if you redeem your code AFTER the service launches. Then you get into conversion territory.

If you redeem it before the service launches, and you already have PS+, you will still get Premium for whichever ends later of the two subscriptions. It's all still there on the site.

OHHH, sweet. I think I just noticed the last part of the new terms but didn't see it mentioned that's if you redeem AFTER. Cool so I'm good, sucks I can't add more plus but I'll take it.

So basically they are screwing over existing customers and everyone who bought plus recently lol.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I'm 100% Series X as my main console now with Gamepass, I'll only be buying PS5 exclusives and letting my PS Plus drop once it expires.

Also not bothering with PSVR2 now, I'll get a PC / independent solution.

F'em
In november and december I redeemed 2 years of Plus.
I considered buying a Now code (as many did) but I didn't do it as I consider Sony a very anti consumer company. It's not the first time they prove they can't be trusted, so I ended up not trusting them. Honestly, that's not surprising at all.
Glad I waited, I'll keep feeding my Gamepass subscritption using Rewards points, no damage done.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Sony has not made a single decision this gen that has made me regret my decision to abandon the platform. Good grief.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
How many people are actually affected by this though?
And by that I mean people who bought a PS+ code in the last 48ish hours with the sole purpose of stacking it to get PS Premium at half the price.

I get that this situation sucks. And Sony are being dumbasses with their bad communcation. But we already knew that, they have been like this for 2 years now.
But this 'deal' was clearly too good to be true from the get-go. Sony never intended this deal to exist in the first place. Some people were already pointing this out in the original thread, but others just laughed it off and told them that they were making up stuff that wasn't there. It was so clear that this was an error, Sony would never give Premium away for so cheap. But people here jumped the gun, somewhat naive fomo'ing to get codes.

I already had PS+ till 2024, so I decided to buy a 3 month PS Now card. But while doing that I was FULLY aware that I was taking a gamble and there was a realistic chance that this 'trick' wasn't going to work, and therefore I would have a code I wouldn't really need.

Look, Sony should fix their communication, but let's not make it worse than it really is. The vast majority of users wasn't even aware of this situation. The result is that a small amount of people now has a 60 dollar codes which they otherwise probably would have bought for 40 or so during BF.
Hopefully these people can get a refund. And otherwise let this be a lesson: this is how Sony works/communicates these days. Next time it's better to wait a but until they clear things up. Or just don't buy their products anymore if you don't want to deal with it.

This is my opinion (now hate all you want)

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So that was the blog post? I mean it sucks but it is not that surprising. Hopefully they listen to the feedback and compromise a bit. Bring back stacking but limit it to 3 years or something.
No one would have been buying PS+ codes without being told that you get Premium for the length of your longest sub if you had PS+ and PS Now. I mean if you don't see a problem with this I don't know what to tell you. Sony owes me a refund.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And by that I mean people who bought a PS+ code in the last 48ish hours with the sole purpose of stacking it to get PS Premium at half the price.

I get that this situation sucks. And Sony are being dumbasses with their bad communcation. But we already knew that, they have been like this for 2 years now.
But this 'deal' was clearly too good to be true from the get-go. Sony never intended this deal to exist in the first place. Some people were already pointing this out in the original thread, but others just laughed it off and told them that they were making up stuff that wasn't there. It was so clear that this was an error, Sony would never give Premium away for so cheap. But people here jumped the gun, somewhat naive fomo'ing to get codes.

I already had PS+ till 2024, so I decided to buy a 3 month PS Now card. But while doing that I was FULLY aware that I was taking a gamble and there was a realistic chance that this 'trick' wasn't going to work, and therefore I would have a code I wouldn't really need.

Look, Sony should fix their communication, but let's not make it worse than it really is. The vast majority of users wasn't even aware of this situation. The result is that a small amount of people now has a 60 dollar codes which they otherwise probably would have bought for 40 or so during BF.
Hopefully these people can get a refund. And otherwise let this be a lesson: this is how Sony works/communicates these days. Next time it's better to wait a but until they clear things up. Or just don't buy their products anymore if you don't want to deal with it.

"They're only fucking over thousands of people, not millions!" is not the argument you think it is.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
No one would have been buying PS+ codes without being told that you get Premium for the length of your longest sub if you had PS+ and PS Now. I mean if you don't see a problem with this I don't know what to tell you. Sony owes me a refund.
Oh I definitely see the problem. Good luck with that refund.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
This is precisely why I wouldn't expect Sony to do anything.

There were a few hundred people taking advantage of this max, not nearly enough for a relevant shitstorm.
I also don't really see there being a legal ground to go after them for this either.

It's shitty but I think that some people are overestimating how much pull a few hundred people have over a company which clearly doesn't care.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

I mean when you've got the competition (Microsoft) literally leaving the loophole open for years and years, I think this take entirely falls on its face. Sure Microsoft caps it at 3 years but they could have done that too if they didn't want people going too crazy on it. Instead this just feels like they realised the loophole too late and would rather screw the customers and retailers over instead of eating a tiny loss themselves.

The other issue it's not even guaranteed people will get a refund, most of the retailers are pissed off too because they didn't get told of this and don't want to lose money either. Meanwhile the customer is left with a $60 code that they can't use now for what they intended to and don't know what it'll be redeemed into in the future because they've not been too clear on the conversions past the initial one.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Sony not communicating a huge change like that to stacking is either pure arrogance or pure incompetence on their part. Either way, not a good look, and they deserve all the bad PR coming their way.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Microsoft has had the 1$ Gold conversion trick for like 4 years yet Sony can't stand 3 month of people taking advantage of additional savings.

What a bunch of fucking losers.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018

For me it's not how many people were impacted by the change, its the way they've dealt with it and shown total lack of interest in the whole thing and it's the latest in a long list of decisions showing they just don't give a shit about their customers. They made a big show at the start of Playstation 4 about being pro gamer and have damaged all that with the Playstation 5 decisions.

I'm only using one subscription service and now it'll be gamespass and been eyeing up a Valve index for VR.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is absurd and baffling on some many levels, communication from Sony once the next gen started is so fucking bad for no apparent reason.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
This is so strange. Good thing I stacked all my codes like a month ago. I'm good until 2028.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Sony. How fucking difficult would it have been to simply say this when they announced all the other changes? As if a child couldn't have seen that people would try to do this? What a garbage piece of shit company.

Habs

Mar 10, 2021
Microsoft has had the 1$ Gold conversion trick for like 4 years yet Sony can't stand 3 month of people taking advantage of additional savings.

What a bunch of fucking losers.
It wouldn't even have to be three months. Once they realised people where stacking ps+ codes they should have just said that they will disable stacking in a couple of days because they didn't intend this but everyone who has bought their codes already can use them. Sure a lot of people would immediately buy codes after seeing this but probably a lot less people compared to three months.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It would have taken them no time at all just to say that from the jump. So shitty.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It would be one thing if Sony had recalled All the retail cards and made sure they were 90% off shelves
Sounds like the service won't be profitable if people keep extending under the old fees.
I mean no service is. There is no way game pass is with its extension promos, it's just about whether the company wants to take a loss today for the sake of building a base for future profits. Same with Netflix, etc services when they launched and in their early years. Low price at first, then raise costs. Or just don't take those losses at all, those are the two options

GamrzPeterz

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Trolling & Driveby posting
lmao people wants to take advantage of a loophole and then when they close it, people gets angry, and then mention the loophole of xbox doung the 1$ thing, and because they dont care, they want sony to not care as well lmao, and I see people here copying and pasting the angry comments in other threads, lmao and lmao x10000 , nobody cares about a bubble of people in a forum, with all respect, but nobody cares xdd

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
While it makes sense, this needed to be stated then. I think they should pull the logs of everyone who tried to redeem a code between the time it was off and since the terms were updated, and send them an email for an opportunity to extend subs based on the old terms.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now we have official info on them blocking stacking, it's bullshit and I said if it was intentional I would say exactly that.

It's frustrating they have handled it this way and took so long to bring this information out.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony (as a publisher) is a gemstone of this hobby. Sony (as a platform holder) is a frustrating company to engage with as a customer because of situations like this where bad/non-communication combined with fairly hostile attitudes towards customers makes for an occasionally rough mix.

Hard not to agree with this hardware is great, software is great. Services are hit and miss but it's their bad support and back-end infrastructure that leads to issues like this and they are poor at communicating bad news, and seem to default to silence and hoping it will just blow over.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Thank God I redeemed by PS Now code early instead of waiting. Feel horrible for people who got screwed though.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Sony execs after you try and redeem your pre paid cards.
the-ferengi-were-supposed-to-be-tngs-main-villains-1588278915.webp

Seriously though they couldn't just allow you to do it? I mean even if they didn't why not just give people heads us before they waste money of cards...hope they backtrack, but who knows.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
No, at the very very least pay back the cost for non usable codes in cash and don't just change to PSN credits since this is another product and might carry another value compared to the desired PSPlus.
And even if Sony would handle it this way this would still be a d*ck move.

I agree that they should pay them back on cash but I think that's a non possibility as the cards were purchased from different vendors for often different prices. If you wanted a cash refund you would be to pursue it from the point of sale and those vendors have no refund policies on digital goods so it doesn't seem like a possible outcome to me.

I agree that a full cash refund is the ideal ethical outcome, but I don't think it's realistic. I would be happy to be wrong though.