• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
There are very specific set of features a cable must be capable of to be able to transmit HDMI 2.1 signal at full bandwidth.

I understand that, as it's been posted hundreds of times this thread.

Capable and certified are two different things though. A cable can be physically capable but if it hasn't been tested and certified, then we don't know for *sure*. I understand this.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sup Boris nobody answered my question so I'll ask the expert :p can we still use our hdmi 1.4 cables? as I have a situation where I have to use my old 1.4 cable any help would be much appreciated thanks.

You can try and use them , but there is a 99% chance you'll just get a tonne of problems.
HDMI 1.4 cables.
HDMI 1.4 offer 1/4th if the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1, they are designed to max out with 1080p 60hz.

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, but why can't you just use the cable included in the PS5 box?
My hdmi ports are all broken and the one that works is failing badly I managed to tape the hdmi cable very tightly and I get a signal but I have to leave the one end taped in. It really sucks I need a new tv but can't get one right away.

I have a 720 p Samsung tv and I just need to be able to plug my hdmi into the PS5 and then choose 720 p under PS5 setting in the console. Should work right?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
My hdmi ports are all broken and the one that works is failing badly I managed to tape the hdmi cable very tightly and I get a signal but I have to leave the one end taped in. It really sucks I need a new tv but can't get one right away.

I have a 720 p Samsung tv and I just need to be able to plug my hdmi into the PS5 and then choose 720 p under PS5 setting in the console. Should work right?
Sorry to hear that, definitely time for a new TV, the new consoles will shine even more on a modern TV 😁

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Aesthetically I think the PS5 blends well with what you have going here if you can stomach having it out in the open.

Yeah instead of jamming in my TV cabinet I did consider having it outside, with its profile showing per picture-

ElZKU-jUUAA5mND

However with this angle the wires would be visible and I detest idea of visible wires/cables. Will have to play around and see what looks best.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
They claim 4K/120 on the box... it was obvious it had a Compatible cable...

The confusion was caused by the cable bearing the branding of a slower HDMI speed that's not certified for the bandwidth required for 2.1 HDMI features (8K/60 + HDR and 4K/120 + HDR). For reference, Xbox Series X ships with a cable with the right branding for 2.1 which made this even stranger.

It's pretty obvious that this absolutely would cause conversion and prompt questions, Sony have said that no, it's actually a 2.1 cable but no-one has had the common sense to ask them why the cable is marked as a slower speed. I'm sure there's good reason (see posts above for a good example of what might have happened).

To demonstrate why this caused confusion, here's a made-up example with different cable that we're more familiar with but the exact same steps:

Sony says new console is USB 3.
Sony includes a cable clearly marked as USB 2
People ask why a USB 2 cable has been included not a USB 3 one.
Sony says "actually, it's a USB 3 cable"
Some websites start to claim that 'USB 3' isn't common branding for USB 3 cables and actually USB 3 cables are marked as USB 2.
USB 3 cables do actually carry markings that indicate they are USB 3, website is incorrect but apparently it's the only rationale they could think of as to why Sony would say a cable marked as USB 2 is actually USB 3.
No-one thinks to actually ask Sony why the cable is incorrectly marked.
Era decides asking questions about why cables are incorrectly marked is concern trolling.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It doesn't matter if they are physically and electrically the same, what matters is are they certified to carry 48Gbps signal or not.
High Speed cables are certified for up to 18Gbps, they may or may not be capable of transmitting 48Gbps signal.
Ultra High Speed cables are certified for up to 48Gbps and must be capable of transmitting such signals.
It doesn't matter if they are "certified", all that matters is that the particular cable's construction is electrically compliant and within the tolerances necessary for the equalization margins available in the PS5's tranceiver to reach the HF attenuation limits on the receiving side at 12 GHz. It's a cable. It's characterized by the manufacturer whether they pay for certification or not.

It's definitely possible they are compliant even if they were made years before the specs are written. Whether they are or not is between Sony and the OEM supplier.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Ok cool my tv is a Samsung 720 p so it should work right? As long as I choose 720 p under the PS5 settings

You know honestly getting a new tv should take priority over getting a ps5 at launch at this point. When you upgrade from 4k from that tv your eye balls are gonna fall out lol. Plus text may be difficult to read on a 720p tv for games designed around 4k.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
If it has HDMi it should be fine, that came after "HDReady" which had to accept 1080p

Ok I'll give it a go : ) if not I'll have no choice than to buy a nice new TV :p

thanks again

edit ( did not know the bolded part interesting : )

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the bolded part is wrong. HD Ready only required support for 720p and 1080i on the HDMI port, although many TVs sold as HD Ready did go beyond that and accepted 1080p as well. A later spec, HD Ready 1080p, added 1080p as a firm requirement. (But you can't assume your TV confirms to that latter spec just because it has HDMI, because HD Ready had HDMI as a requirement as well.)

That's from memory (I worked as a firmware engineer for HD Ready products around the time when the spec was new), but I can see that Wikipedia has a nice table saying the same thing:

4epNkG2.png

I also see that Samsung's manual for your TV mentions supporting 720p and 1080i, but not 1080p, which I guess is not such a good sign. On the other hand, when I google for "Playstation 5 720p" I do get quite a lot of hits suggesting the PS5 actually does support 720p (e.g. some retailer product pages and the Wikipedia infobox for Playstation 5, although nothing directly from Sony). So even though it's not ideal, it might work with your TV after all.

EDIT: After writing the above, I noticed the following sentence in the quoted Wikipedia page, suggesting 1080p might indeed be implied by the HD Ready term in the US (my own experience was with the official European spec):
In the United States, a similar "HD Ready" term usually refers to any display that is capable of accepting and displaying a high-definition signal at either 720p, 1080i or 1080p using a component video or digital input, but does not have a built-in HD-capable tuner.

Not sure how much it changes things, though, since Samsung doesn't seem to use the HD Ready term for your TV on their product page. I guess it points to 1080p being more of a standard thing in the US than in Europe, though, perhaps improving the odds somewhat.

Last edited: