• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I can confirm that the cable bundled with PS5 is "High Speed HDMI Cable", our media company (Wirtualna Polska, and two of its tech websites: dobreprogramy and polygamia) is in possession of 2 units. High Speed HDMI Cable can't support 4K+120 FPS. It is absolutely impossible. Although it is possible that HDMI 2.0 can support HDMI eARC, VRR and Auto Low Latency Mode (which can be optionally added to HDMI 2.0). And probably some misinformed people took this information about HDMI 2.0 being able to support some HDMI 2.1 features for granted and thought High Speed HDMI Cable can support 4K+120FPS. Once again, I'll confirm - it cannot.
That is absolutely false.

2.1 cables are physically and electrically identical to 2.0b. They do have tighter impedance-control tolerances. Some cable were already compatible and they just needed recertifications to be marketed as 2.1 compliant.

Mar 5, 2020
Poland

2.1 cables are physically and electrically identical to 2.0b. They do have tighter impedance-control tolerances. Some cable were already compatible and they just needed recertifications to be marketed as 2.1 compliant.
Are you sure in the slightest?

Will they provide 48 Gbps bandwidth, will they provide 4K with 120 FPS with chroma subsampling 4:4:4 and Dolby Vision, UNCOMPRESSED and at the same time?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm that the cable bundled with PS5 is "High Speed HDMI Cable", our media company (Wirtualna Polska, and two of its tech websites: dobreprogramy and polygamia) is in possession of 2 units. High Speed HDMI Cable can't support 4K+120 FPS. It is absolutely impossible. Although it is possible that HDMI 2.0 can support HDMI eARC, VRR and Auto Low Latency Mode (which can be optionally added to HDMI 2.0). And probably some misinformed people took this information about HDMI 2.0 being able to support some HDMI 2.1 features for granted and thought High Speed HDMI Cable can support 4K+120FPS. Once again, I'll confirm - it cannot.
I'm a little bit confused, are you saying that the cables you received with the PS5 units are in fact not 2.1 and the clarification from Sony is wrong, or are you just restating the fact that 2.0 cables are incapable of some 2.1 features? Also, I get that you're still under embargo and probably couldn't give a direct answer, if any at all. Thanks.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
IMO what's worse than actual concern trolling is all the sarcastic "i'm very concerned lol" or "preorder cancelled" remarks in threads like these. Half of this thread are those comments and it's so tiresome and just feeds into the negativity of console wars. We can do better.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

Which begs the question, why are the cables marked as 2.0b certified and not 2.1 certified. Somethings weird, I'm totally onboard with it being a 2.1 compliant cable but why label it as not being?
My personal view is they got these cheaper than an actual 2.1 certified cable and have saved a few million.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Are you sure in the slightest?

Will they provide 48 Gbps, will they provide 4K with 120 FPS with subchroma sampling 4:4:4 and Dolby Vision, UNCOMPRESSED and at the same time?
Are you? You're the one making the wild claim that it's absolutely impossible.

[..]
the pinout and the relationships between conductors have remained the same
[..]
require no cable redesign
[..]
cables will need to meet new testing

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Which begs the question, why are the cables marked as 2.0b certified and not 2.1 certified. Somethings weird, I'm totally onboard with it being a 2.1 compliant cable but why label it as not being?
My personal view is they got these cheaper than an actual 2.1 certified cable and have saved a few million.

The certifications would be for "High Speed" or "Ultra High Speed", not 2.0b/2.1. My guess is that it's marked "High Speed" because it was manufactured and certified under that program, but is actually of high enough quality that it meets the "Ultra High Speed" requirements as well. Sony can verify that by running their own tests and evaluate the quality control processes of the manufacturer in a way that an end-user/consumer cannot. The HDMI cable certification program is intended for products sold to end-users/consumers rather than OEM sales to big manufacturers.

Last edited:

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So what's left to be concerned?
No Knack 3 announcement.

paradise_cernynijt1.gif

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Glad they finally went ahead and confirmed that. It's somewhat silly that something so simple which should have been known by them for a while now (They've been packaging the boxes since last month at least) took them this long to confirm.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
The certifications would be for "High Speed" or "Ultra High Speed", not 2.0b/2.1. My guess is that it's marked "High Speed" because it was manufactured and certified under that program, but is actually of high enough quality that it actually meets the "Ultra High Speed" requirements as well. Sony can verify that by running their own tests and evaluate the quality control processes of the manufacturer in a way that an end-users/consumer cannot. The HDMI cable certification program is intended for products sold to end-users/consumers rather than OEM sales to big manufacturers.
Yeah, I've been using 2.0b and 2.1 because some people seem to be struggling with the official names for them.

I hear what you're saying about the cert process, but the cable does have certification on it, for High Speed only, and I would expect it to be there regardless of it being targeted at consumers or big manufacturers.
Conversely the Xbox ships with a cable marked Ultra High Speed, which is probably why people are questioning what's going on.

I agree that it's probably capable but why mark it with a lower spec which can't meet the bandwidth requirements of 2.1 if it can actually meet them. Bit of an odd one, again not a big deal but none of the gaming press seem to have the intelligence to ask why it's marked like that after Sony said it was 2.1.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
giphy.gif

This too.

They literally said they tested it....lol.
That is correct, although it was embargoed or something?

Btw I can see why people are upset:
The main problem with Sony for the coming generation? The games. They cannot shut up about the games. Look at how the graphics will improve the games. Check out the loading times on these games. What our new controller does for games. Did you hear about the audio and how it will immerse you in the games. Games games games games. I am getting sick of the games. Yes we know by now that PS5 will play games. But the most important issues; like 'is the cable HDMI 2.1?', are swept under the rug. Oh hi here is a picture of our logo please give us 5 million likes. Look at our games, forget about the cable please look at the games.
It is understandable that people are getting sick of Sony and their games.
Their messaging should be really clear and transparent. With all these games, who knows what Sony are hiding from us?
-signed SAPS

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been using 2.0b and 2.1 because some people seem to be struggling with the official names for them.

I hear what you're saying about the cert process, but the cable does have certification on it, for High Speed only, and I would expect it to be there regardless of it being targeted at consumers or big manufacturers.
Conversely the Xbox ships with a cable marked Ultra High Speed, which is probably why people are questioning what's going on.

I agree that it's probably capable but why mark it with a lower spec which can't meet the bandwidth requirements of 2.1 if it can actually meet them. Bit of an odd one, again not a big deal but none of the gaming press seem to have the intelligence to ask why it's marked like that after Sony said it was 2.1.

Because they were presumably marked at the time of manufacture, not at the time they were qualified for use with the PS5. From one of the links posted earlier in the thread, compliance specifications for "Ultra High Speed" were not yet finalized as of April 27 2020, so it's understandable that there could be cables targeting the higher spec without being marked as such, perhaps with an expectation that this would be OK with some OEM customers.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Because they were presumably marked at the time of manufacture, not at the time they were qualified for use with the PS5. From one of the links posted earlier in the thread, compliance specifications for "Ultra High Speed" were not yet finalized as of April 27 2020, so it's understandable that there could be cables targeting the higher spec without being marked as such, perhaps with an expectation that this would be OK with some OEM customers.
And that is a more than acceptable situation and answer to the question. Now if only someone had the brains to actually ask the question to Sony 😁

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Silly question if I have a 4K OLED TV but it doesn't support VRR/120 FPS is there any benefit to using HDMI 2.1 cables than HDMI cables I have for my 4K wall mounted TV?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Silly question if I have a 4K OLED TV but it doesn't support VRR/120 FPS is there any benefit to using HDMI 2.1 cables than HDMI cables I have for my 4K wall mounted TV?
No.
Not at all.
The cables are the same it's just that the spec needs to be higher.
A good 2.0 cable will work on 4k120hz with HDR.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Assuming you purchased decent HDMI cables originally then no. Depending on your wiring situation it might be useful to re-cable with Ultra High Speed cables as a future proofing activity.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Using a 2.1 cable wont make a difference, 2.1 cable is only needed for 4k at 120hz. A 2.0 cable is enough for 4k 60hz and HDR. A 2.0 cable can also do 1440p at 120 if the tv supports that.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Thanks for replies all. I might be moving soon and if there is not tangible benefits I prefer I don't have to remove my cable strip and attach new cables if not necessary. I might reconsider if I stick around for next few months.

Now more importantly where am I going to fit the PS5?

hZBdhci.jpg

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't matter if they are physically and electrically the same, what matters is are they certified to carry 48Gbps signal or not.
High Speed cables are certified for up to 18Gbps, they may or may not be capable of transmitting 48Gbps signal.
Ultra High Speed cables are certified for up to 48Gbps and must be capable of transmitting such signals.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
I ran 2.1 cables last week. Had some help to take down the LG CX and already ran 2.1 cables for the Series X and PS5.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Thanks for replies all. I might be moving soon and if there is not tangible benefits I prefer I don't have to remove my cable strip and attach new cables if not necessary. I might reconsider if I stick around for next few months.

Now more importantly where am I going to fit the PS5?

hZBdhci.jpg

Aesthetically I think the PS5 blends well with what you have going here if you can stomach having it out in the open.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Reminds me of coax and how every time we think it's reached it's limits as far as speed and bandwidth, comcast or someone comes out and says it can now support something even higher/faster somehow.

It sounds like 2.1 exists in the hardware and port rather than the cable. I feel like the same thing has happened with other standards as well, where the ports or devices support something better but the cable doesn't necessarily need to be updated. USB seems to be that way in a lot of (but obviously not all) ways.