• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Will the playstation work on 230V AC?
I hear that Japan runs on 110V.
Will I need to buy a transformer to use it?

Why hasn't Sony said anything about this?
You're joking, but you ended up very close to a previous Concern(tm).

www.psu.com

Is The PS5 Dual Voltage: Can I Use PS5 In Another Country? - PlayStation Universe

Is the PS5 dual voltage? Can you use the PS5 in another country? Find out in our handy guide to find out!

"With Sony's new home console blown wide open in terms of a release date, price and technical specifications, a lot of folk are starting to question whether or not the PS5 will support dual voltage – something which previous Sony hardware has of course offered."

Surprise, it's a universal power supply.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
all these concerns do is really giving sony easy wins left and right, wait till twitter bubbles up, confirm you put a damn cable in the box, another box checked.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
If this is the case, it's not actually rated for HDMI 2.1 speeds is it? HDMI 2.0 cables will also work with 2.1 speeds unless you're unlucky with the quality (or you have a very long cable).

Most people on PS5 will be playing at 4k/60hz anyway, so it's not like anyone would actually notice if the cable supported Ultra High Speed or not. The problem will occur once you feed it a 4k/120hz signal, so people should test that.
Yeah, in the other thread I commented that the compliance was a minimum threshold so you could potentially get a 2.0b cable capable of running at higher speeds. But if it can consistently meet the minimum speed to be rated as a 2.1 cable, why not use the 2.1 branding?

It's a bit weird, personally I think the number of people this would impact is in the thousands vs the millions of consoles they are shipping. Yet here we have Sony saying it is actually a 2.1 cable, despite the labelling saying it's not.

Maybe the manufacturer printed the wrong information on the cable?
Maybe it's a massively over-spec 2.0b cable, not quite good enough for 2.1 certification, but good enough for most peoples needs and short enough to not generate errors?
Who knows eh :D

Oct 27, 2017
www.wired.com

The iPhone 12 Ships Without a Charger. Will It Curb E-Waste?

Apple’s decision to skip the charger and EarPods sounds like a step that would reduce the company's environmental footprint. But it’s not that simple.

The shitty thing about this is that iPhone 11 was the first iPhone with a USB c charger which means that if you're upgrading from an older iPhone you would need to shell more $$ for a charger.
Off topic but iPhones still use the lightning adapter, it's only USB C to connect to the charge brick; any lightning cable and charger you have right now will work with the new iPhones.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Even if it came with a 2.0b cable, would it really matter to the people who just paid thousands for a 2.1 TV?

It's like a $10 cable.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Tweet deleted, whole article deleted (it was the main featured article this morning on Gamepro.de)....they worked better in the past...I mean they could have called Sony (Playstation PR) to confirm or deny that, before they published the article, now it seems like they updated the original text or just answered in a tweet? and now all of it is simply removed. I mean you can make mistakes, not a real huge issue, but just removing every "proof" of misinformation after promoting such news in such a fashion isn't the best possible journalism?

Oct 21, 2019
My concern is the length of the cable. Less than 5 feet is not long enough for me with a wall mounted tv and the cable going into a wire tray (and then into the ps5). I was hoping it would be closer to 8 feet. I guess I can just let it hang for now but hoping there are some 8-10 feet certified 2.1 cables soon.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
There was doubt about that...?

Next they'll be concern that the console won't come with an instruction manual.

Yeah, I think the big thing people kept debating was that 2.1 HDMI cables say something on them like 'ultra high speed' and pictures of the PS5 didn't have that or something. I don't really know enough about it

Edit: Didn't resize this thread was so long and so I imagine this has been stated multiple times by lol

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
gbNy1sScb0cVvjYH1JpzaOWtYYg=.gif

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Keep in mind there also an italian publication claiming they got confirmation from Sony that it's a 2.1 cable
That article is quite interesting, they suggest that 2.1 cables being branded "Ultra High Speed is
not a universal nomenclature

which is incorrect, HDMI licensing states:

In order for cables to be marketed and sold as compliant to the HDMI 2.1 Specification and use the official Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable designation they must past all certification tests and, in addition, affix the Ultra High Speed HDMI Certification Label on their packaging. The label has the Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable name and logo on it. The cables are also required to have the cable name printed on the cable jacket itself.
Source

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, in the other thread I commented that the compliance was a minimum threshold so you could potentially get a 2.0b cable capable of running at higher speeds. But if it can consistently meet the minimum speed to be rated as a 2.1 cable, why not use the 2.1 branding?

It's a bit weird, personally I think the number of people this would impact is in the thousands vs the millions of consoles they are shipping. Yet here we have Sony saying it is actually a 2.1 cable, despite the labelling saying it's not.

Maybe the manufacturer printed the wrong information on the cable?
Maybe it's a massively over-spec 2.0b cable, not quite good enough for 2.1 certification, but good enough for most peoples needs and short enough to not generate errors?
Who knows eh :D

My read(read total guess) was it costs money to get your cable certified and if you're not selling them seperatly , what's the point? It's the same cable either way.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
still waiting for my damn 8ft monoprice HDMI cables. Hope they arrive before my Xbox.. these built in are too short for me

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Even if it came with a 2.0b cable, would it really matter to the people who just paid thousands for a 2.1 TV?

It's like a $10 cable.
To be fair, I'm more interested why no-ones asked Sony why they are saying a cable clearly marked as not 2.1 compliant is 2.1 compliant. I honestly don't care whether it is, but either the markings on the cable are incorrect or someone at Sony's side has misunderstood what they've been asked to clarify. Would be nice to round this out as being a manufacturing error on the cable.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020
Poland
I can confirm that the cable bundled with PS5 is "High Speed HDMI Cable", our media company (Wirtualna Polska, and two of its tech websites: dobreprogramy and polygamia) is in possession of 2 units. High Speed HDMI Cable can't support 4K+120 FPS. It is absolutely impossible. Although it is possible that HDMI 2.0 can support HDMI eARC, VRR and Auto Low Latency Mode (which can be optionally added to HDMI 2.0). And probably some misinformed people took this information about HDMI 2.0 being able to support some HDMI 2.1 features for granted and thought High Speed HDMI Cable can support 4K+120FPS. Once again, I'll confirm - it cannot.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
My read(read total guess) was it costs money to get your cable certified and if you're not selling them seperatly , what's the point? It's the same cable either way.
But the cable bears the marking on the 2.0b specification, it's cost them money regardless. I guess the cable manufacturer may have said to them they have a cable that can be used for 2.1 devices but it's not formally rated as a 2.1 cable, do you want it for 50c less per cable and they jumped on it :)

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I can confirm that the cable bundled with PS5 is "High Speed HDMI Cable", our media company (Wirtualna Polska, and two of its tech websites: dobreprogramy and polygamia) is in possession of 2 units. High Speed HDMI Cable can't support 4K+120 FPS. It is absolutely impossible. Although it is possible that HDMI 2.0 can support HDMI eARC, VRR and Auto Low Latency Mode (which can be optionally added to HDMI 2.0). And probably some misinformed people took this information about HDMI 2.0 being able to support some HDMI 2.1 features for granted and thought High Speed HDMI Cable can support 4K+120FPS. Once again, I'll confirm - it cannot.
Aha! Someone who might be able to get an answer from Sony. You should ask them why they say it's a 2.1 cable when it's marked as a 2.0b cable.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
But the cable bears the marking on the 2.0b specification, it's cost them money regardless. I guess the cable manufacturer may have said to them they have a cable that can be used for 2.1 devices but it's not formally rated as a 2.1 cable, do you want it for 50c less per cable and they jumped on it :)

Maybe that cert is cheaper?

Ha, or they got a discount on a misprint.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Maybe that cert is cheaper?

Ha, or they got a discount on a misprint.
Or perhaps more available in the location they sourced the cables from? I'm totally onboard with it working at 2.1 spec, I'd just love to know why it's branded as a lower spec cable :D It really is like Sony insisting the cable with "USB2" written on it is a USB3 cable which is weird but not impossible.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Are HDMI 2.1 cables different from the high-speed HDMI cables that have been available for years now?

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
There was doubt about that...?

Next they'll be concern that the console won't come with an instruction manual.
Do you really think Sony not commenting on such a simple curiosity gave people hope it actually was 2.1? Media even asked for clarification.

Glad they confirmed it so though.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The GamePro is just an embarassing clickbait site at this point.
they were dead to me after their dark souls review (which is now nowhere to be found) where the player basically trashed the game for being totally unfair etc. etc. but he didnt even use basic features like lock on and of course died all the time