• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
You would have thought that such a minor detail could have "leaked" from an anonymous source, apart from the DF hinting, but good to have confirmation anyways.

Oct 30, 2017
Glad it's cleared up.

Unfortunately, the typical fanboys twitter trolls already had a field day claiming the Xbox was the only 4k120fps console "out of the box" FUD

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
It didn't make sense to have 4k/120Hz printed on the box without actually including the cable to support that.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So how exactly did gamepro "tested and confirmed" it was a 2.0 cable? Just by reading what was labeled on the cable instead of plugging it into the console? Strange.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It is . As someone who owns a nice 1440p monitor and is not getting a 4k one anytime soon I'm possibly staring down the barrel of staring at a 1080p image for another console gen
Does your monitor support downsampling? Many 1440p monitors will take a 4K signal and downsample it, which actually looks decent compared to 1080p upscaling

Should I even bother asking why this was ever in doubt?

Concerns

Oct 27, 2017
So how exactly did gamepro "tested and confirmed" it was a 2.0 cable? Just by reading what was labeled on the cable instead of plugging it into the console? Strange.
I'm going off of a translation but yeah, they based their initial article off of the fact that "ultra" was missing from the cable label.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
People joke, but I genuinely wasn't sure. If Nintendo can release an entire handheld console without a charger packed in, then Sony can easily just cheap out and use a regular HDMI cable as a pack in. I'm glad I don't have to buy another one now.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
It is . As someone who owns a nice 1440p monitor and is not getting a 4k one anytime soon I'm possibly staring down the barrel of staring at a 1080p image for another console gen

Really does seem like you can't have any questions about either console without it being deemed concern... I have a 1440p monitor and would like to know if it will work as intended on the PS5, it does on the Series X which has 1440p support. I really don't want to have to buy a 4k Monitor for quite some time especially at the current prices of them.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I don't get why information like this would need to be embargoed for some kind of reveal. But good news for people with 120fps capable TVs.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
There was doubt about that...?

Next they'll be concern that the console won't come with an instruction manual.
When Digital Foundry were unable to directly confirm whether it was HDMI 2.1 or not due to the embargo, this confusion was of Sony's making due to placing a nonsensical embargo on information you should want people to know anyway. Why would this information even be embargoed in the first place?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to have to make you aware of this, so sorry in advance.

www.resetera.com

Will PS5 come with HDMI 2.1 cable?

Or HDMI 2.0? I was watching TechRadar's unboxing and the guy says that PS5's HDMI cable is same as PS4 Pro's cable. Is there an official 2.1 confirmation from Sony? I think it's important to be ready before the console launch. If It's not 2.1, i will buy a cable.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

tenor.gif

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, only 8 more concern threads until US launch. Tier 2 peasants have 15 more concern threads to look forward to to make up for the delayed launch.

On a more serious note, it's good to have confirmation. I wonder if the PS5 UI runs at 120 fps or if it will be limited to 60 fps.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Will the playstation work on 230V AC?
I hear that Japan runs on 110V.
Will I need to buy a transformer to use it?

Why hasn't Sony said anything about this?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's really simple:

HDMI 2.1 cables bear the marking "Ultra High Speed", the one Sony ships with the PS5 bears the marking "High Speed" so by it's own definition it's a 2.0b cable and not rated for the high bandwidth.
It's a bit like Sony putting a USB cable in the box which says "USB2" on it and then telling everyone it's actually a USB3 cable. If it's that spec, why's it branded as the slower spec?

It's not a major issue, but it's a weird one.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This was apparent to anyone who watched an unboxing? The cable is noticeably #thiccer than standard 2.0 cables.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's really simple:

HDMI 2.1 cables bear the marking "Ultra High Speed", the one Sony ships with the PS5 bears the marking "High Speed" so by it's own definition it's a 2.0b cable and not rated for the high bandwidth.
It's a bit like Sony putting a USB cable in the box which says "USB2" on it and then telling everyone it's actually a USB3 cable. If it's that spec, why's it branded as the slower spec?

It's not a major issue, but it's a weird one.
If this is the case, it's not actually rated for HDMI 2.1 speeds is it? HDMI 2.0 cables will also work with 2.1 speeds unless you're unlucky with the quality (or you have a very long cable).

Most people on PS5 will be playing at 4k/60hz anyway, so it's not like anyone would actually notice if the cable supported Ultra High Speed or not. The problem will occur once you feed it a 4k/120hz signal, so people should test that.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017