• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
for me it depends on how much work has been done. If its straight up Resolution bump / Frame rate I can kind of understand outrage but if they have done substancial work to the base game. then I understand why it requires a fee.
From the sounds of it, there appears to be a substantial upgrade. This doesn't seem like a simple resolution/framerate bump. I don't own Spider-Man currently as I had to sell it a a while back due to financial struggles, but even if I did, I would buy the Ultimate Edition to get both because I know that I will be getting a quality title.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my original point was that it was simply technical not so easy to create a clear upgrade (DLCs). I understand your point was that Sony should just invest that money—easy or not—and do it anyway and then also offer the upgrade for free. When they make an investment as a company and expect a return from it I don't consider it greedy.

Yeah, but PC is a different beast in many ways. But if this is CDPR's philosophy it is good on them and good for us consumers. Ultimately, they also want to earn a profit but have a different business strategy to get to that goal.

Anyways, it's getting late here, so if I am not answering anymore, it's because I'm sleeping. But either way I wanna thank you guys for the discussion. It was really interesting and civilized, which is rare on this forum.
That's fine. I just don't feel like giving a multimillion dollar corporation the benefit of the doubt just because they invested some of their massive amounts of money into something that they're charging 70 dollars for, especially when other developers are indeed showing that it is possible. That seems to be something we disagree on fundamentally

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I was never expecting this to be free given how much work they put in but it's annoying to not have a $15-20 upgrade option.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I was never expecting this to be free given how much work they put in but it's annoying to not have a $15-20 upgrade option.
After Microsoft doing free upgrades I kind of thought the Spiderman upgrade would be free. I dunno. Is Insomniac doing more work than the MS devs are on Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Forza, etc?

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of stuff makes me not even want to keep my PS5 pre-order anymore. Looking at MS retro they are doing a bunch of cool stuff for while on PS5 we have no idea what the improvments will be, if there's any compared to the PS4 Pro versions.
Now a better version of the first game that's on both systems (PS4/PS5) is locked in a $70 paywall while the competition is giving similar updates for free. This sucks.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

I don't understand this either. even just charge 30$ for the upgrade option if it's alot of work, as an incentive to get MM, where it's only really 20 for the upgrade. Just work the numbers like that or something.

I truly wonder how they are going to handle LastOfUs2 and GoT.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not surprised. I was holding off pre-ordering Miles Morales, because I didn't know for sure if my PS4 Spider-Man would be upgraded to the Remastered Spider-Man.

I was expecting it to be a paid upgrade, so this news doesn't shock me in the least. I was planning on getting Miles digitally on launch, so now I know which one to grab. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
At the very least I would have expected Miles Morales to include a "free" upgrade to existing Spider-Man owners. That would have persuaded me to buy MM. As it stands Sony have lost a sale as I have no desire to buy the ultimate edition.

Really disappointed in Jim Ryan with this news. It doesn't bode well for other PS4 titles having free or cheap upgrade paths.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
After Microsoft doing free upgrades I kind of thought the Spiderman upgrade would be free. I dunno. Is Insomniac doing more work than the MS devs are on Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Forza, etc?

That's going above and beyond which is great, they also all have PC versions which probably makes things a lot easier though Gears is getting a bit extra on top.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I feel resolution/loading/framerate bumps should 100% be free upgrades whether they are BC patches or free access to a PS5/XS SKU. But if adding new character models, RT, bonus content, then a paid upgrade is fair. I know that probably isn't popular.

Witcher 3 upgrade is incredibly generous, and I hope every publisher follows that, but CDPR has always gone above and beyond like that and are sadly the exception not the rule. (I think the XSX upgrades for Forza and Gears are great but I do think that factors a bit into bolstering GP as well, and I'm not sure if they are adding things like RT and new models/DLC or "just" framerate/resolution options).

Hopefully we get more free upgrades than not.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least I would have expected Miles Morales to include a "free" upgrade to existing Spider-Man owners. That would have persuaded me to buy MM. As it stands Sony have lost a sale as I have no desire to buy the ultimate edition.

Really disappointed in Jim Ryan with this news. It doesn't bode well for other PS4 titles having free or cheap upgrade paths.

It has already been stated the PS4 version of Miles will get you the PS5 version for free. That's the free upgrade here.

Spiderman Remastered is an optional extra built for the PS5. It's essentially a PS5 title. You get the remaster and all the DLC for $20 a bargain.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
well this is also why i love physical still, selling my copy for 10 bucks at GS, and putting it towards the ultimate edition.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
James shouldn't feel any pressure to respond to the way some of y'all are talking at him but I'm just gonna say there's a specific way to talk to artists and developers who are selling a product (as if that's such an evil thing to do) and disagree with their methods without being completely disrespectful and childish about it.

☝️

I still remember puddle gate man lol.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't mind too much. But I really hope they don't pull this with TLoUP2 only because I would feel pretty burned that I spent full price on it just a couple months ago only for a better version to release at full price.

I only spent $15 on Spider-Man earlier this year.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Let's be honest: Spider-Man Remastered announcement could have been a lot smoother..

It was unclear for days exactly how the upgrade works and whether there was an upgrade path for current owners.

In the situation we are in now where Sony's main competitor and many third parties are offering upgrades for free there was an understandable hope or expectation from a lot of people that Sony would match that standard with their own titles.

Now of course as many people have pointed out, the devs themselves included. Spider-Man PS5 is supposed to be a "remaster" with substantially more improvements than your average next gen patch to justify the cost. If that's the case though they really should have shown that with a comparison trailer when they announced it.

Without showing it the optics to many people are simply that all these other developers are giving next gen upgrades for free and Insomniac is locking theirs behind a £70 ultimate edition.

I don't mind too much. But I really hope they don't pull this with TLoUP2 only because I would feel pretty burned that I spent full price on it just a couple months ago only for a better version to release at full price.

After this I 100% expect Last of Us 2 Remastered to include the multiplayer and be a seperate release at least $50 (maybe $70).

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

I only spent $15 on Spider-Man earlier this year.

I doubt it, I expect this is the exception not the rule. Since this weekend is The Last of Us Day we will probably hear what way they will take. I expect the free upgrade route.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this thread should be remade with ''free'' taken out of the title and then explain how the Spider-Man remaster doesn't require Miles Morales to run as it's a stand alone application. Whole discussion is clouded with entitlement shouts and not to expect things for free, missing the wood for the trees here.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You'd think Sony would be trying to gain good will right now. If this is what their plans are for next gen upgrades than it's only going to make more people switch to Xbox.

That being said, the people comparing this to Control are being ridiculous. The upgrade only really costs $20 and we know they've put the work in to better it. Unlike the next gen version of Control which costs a lot more and we don't know shit all about it despite it being on sale right now. Plus the current gen versions of Control run like shit unlike Spider-Man, it's the reason why I held off on the DLC unlike the latter.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
A $20 value 👌 lol

Imo this does kinda suck if you bought the dlc and haven't finished it yet lol

i played all the DLC and game and got 100% trophy completion on all of it. I still will buy the ultimate edition. I wanna play with ray tracing and 60fps goodness!

I give this game a pass though because it's older. If ghost of TLOU2makes me pay again I will outrage than

You'd think Sony would be trying to gain good will right now. If this is what their plans are for next gen upgrades than it's only going to make more people switch to Xbox.

It's not this is an exception as the game is older. For example Miles Morales is upgraded for free. This is why I expect both Ghost and TLOU2 to be free. Ghost even has brand new DLC coming near PS5 launch so it would make perfect sense to market the free upgrade.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Honestly this thread should be remade with ''free'' taken out of the title and then explain how the Spider-Man remaster doesn't require Miles Morales to run as it's a stand alone application. Whole discussion is clouded with entitlement shouts and not to expect things for free, missing the wood for the trees here.

That's a distinction a few folks don't really care about. Biggest news for me personally was that we can upgrade Miles PS5 to Ultimate Edition later on, saves me $20 for launch.

But it is unfortunate that there's no standalone upgrade purchase for PS4 Spider-Man owners. Was never expecting it to be free and no one should have.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ill buy the normal Miles Morales edition. Have no plan to replay Spider-man, and if i want i can play it on PS5 via BC. Still sucks what they doing with the remaster.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Genuine question here but is anyone who has Spider-Man PS4 and wants the $20 upgrade option not buying Miles Morales? It seems like that upgrade option doesn't really have an actual audience or am I mistaken?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Some people need to understand that, while James is trying to clarify this stuff and everything, which is cool and all I guess, it honestly shouldn't even be his job to, since this is almost 100% Sony's decision, not Insomniac's. I highly doubt a development studio would have any involvement in pricing decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
i played all the DLC and game and got 100% trophy completion on all of it. I still will buy the ultimate edition. I wanna play with ray tracing and 60fps goodness!

I give this game a pass though because it's older. If ghost of TLOU2makes me pay again I will outrage than

I skipped all the 2020 PS4 games, so TLOU, FFVII, GOT and Iron Man VR are my top priorities for launch. Otherwise I would be right there with you, cuz I wanna replay the last half of the game on PS5 with that incredible climax in the last few hours.

Platinumed the original game and completed all the DLC 100% too hehe. Sucks we cant just New Game+, but I'm glad we have the option to upgrade later instead of having to buy Ultimate Edition at launch. It'll be something I can look forward to if there's a a drought next year (doesn't look like there will be) or maybe it hits PS+ next summer or something.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I skipped all the 2020 PS4 games, so TLOU, FFVII, GOT and Iron Man VR are my top priorities for launch. Otherwise I would be right there with you, cuz I wanna replay the last half of the game on PS5 with that incredible climax in the last few hours.

Platinumed the original game and completed all the DLC 100% too hehe. Sucks we cant just New Game+, but I'm glad we have the option to upgrade later instead of having to buy Ultimate Edition at launch. It'll be something I can look forward to if there's a a drought next year (doesn't look like there will be) or maybe it hits PS+ next summer or something.

This year has been so crazy I forgot all about FF7. I do wonder what SE plans are for that? You probably did the right thing though! I was way too impatient though.

do we know how VR will work? Like will they also receive upgrades? Iron man could use faster loading haha

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
As someone who's spent the last decade messing around with save files I can tell you that making a save transfer system would be child's play for a team like Insomniac. Hell, even the college intern could implement it.

Very disappointed with this situation and people need to stop making excuses for them.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
This was an opportunity to garner some good will, and get away from the impression they are charging premiums for more things that the competition
- games price hike
- controllers not compatible (other than last gen games)
- 1st party content missing from PS Now
and they fumbled it

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's maybe a misunderstanding here or at least some common ground that isn't being talked about.

I think MOST here don't think this level of upgrade (new trophies and suits, ray-tracing, new assets, improved hair and faces, as well as your normal better framerate/resolution/draw distance) is not WORTHY of a $20 upgrade.

The problem many of us had is that we didn't NEED it to be this extensive. We would have just liked a free upgrade patch. Improved framerate, resolution, draw distance, loading times, stuff like that.

So I think there is some kind of factor in there that makes the people mad not understand the people defending it, and vice versa, and I think this is what it comes down to. We are just mad that they're upgrading the game and making it paid instead of doing a goodwill gesture and giving us a free less extensive upgrade.

Heck, I would have been fine with them releasing this paid remaster if they had given us a smaller upgrade for the existing owners.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
$50 just seems right but maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment haha. Factions is super important to me.

Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 are still full price and I expect them to drop in November. Here's what I see as realistic:

PS4 games drop to $50 by PS5 launch and get PS5 updates (not just regular boosted mode).
PS4 copies get upgrade to PS5 for free.
PS5 SKUs of both games released for $50.
Factions Standalone is $20 on PSN for PS4/PS5 end of 2020/early 2021
TLOU2 Ultimate Edition on PS5 that comes with the base game+Factions for $69.99.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
It rarely happens on consoles because that was the past and this is now.

this is now where cyberpunk is a free upgrade

Destiny is a free upgrade

miles itself is a free upgrade.

Spider-Man should be a free upgrade and I wonder if the people at insomniac agree with this move or are they just doing what Sony tells them. Like if they had the choice would they follow with the free upgrade movement?
Yes, those example you gave are cross gen games (I mentioned that) and for some reason those have gotten free updates, but not when taling about remasters of last gen games some time after the original release. For example you can have the bc Bayonetta game for Xbox One but as far as I know you still have to pay for the remaster, same as the Darksiders games, Valkyria Chronicles and more. The Witcher III is one of the first cases of not simultaneous cross gen releases that revcieved a free update, and I hope it becomes the standart