• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the remaster of Modern Warfare locked to the ultimate edition of Infinite Warfare for a while? But they eventually released it standalone. Hopefully that's the case here.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I would be fine paying an upgrade fee for the remaster. Maybe they'll eventually allow that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
No source, as I'm saying we're not having a confirmation yet. And of course your PS4 version will still access your PS4 savefile. So that's backwards compatible for sure. But as has been said before in this thread:The Witcher 3 GOTY SKU isn't compatible with the savefile of vanilla Witcher 3 + DLC's on PS4, even though it's exactly the same data. There are other examples of this as well, mostly with GOTY editions that include all content on disc vs the vanilla SKU + DLC. They're usually treated as two different games by the system, so they use two different savefiles.

So

PS4 game on PS5 = PS4 SKU, so PS4 savefile
PS4 upgrade to PS5 = PS5 SKU, so PS5 savefile

Is probably how it's going to work, since this is how it has worked in the past. Again, no confirmation, but I'm not counting on being able to take my saves with me if the games are getting an entirely new SKU, like most cross-gen games.

Backwards compatibility and having (free) access to the PS5 version of a PS4 game are two different things.
This isn't right. They allow cross save on games. But this is meaning both games are on the same code base, file structure etc.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac isn't some hanging on by a thread dev that is putting their last cent into this work. They're a well funded 1st party studio.

It's incredibly simple. PS4 owners should be able to take their first party game they already own and receive the additional updates at no extra charge. I have no problem asking for money for the Miles Morales content, that's expected. It shouldn't matter when you bought Spiderman on PS4. Knowing that when I put that disc in my console I would get a full PS5 experience at no additional cost would have been something that was far more consumer friendly than saying you have to pay $70 to get a game you already bought once before simply because "reasons". They have the ability to it, nothing is stopping them other than wanting to milk more money out of people who have already bought the game.

why should the Miles Morales content cost money? I already bought a spiderman game. MM is just some new assets, new development, new graphical settings based on the game I already bought. Shouldnl't I therefore get it for free?

Snark aside, what is the fundamental difference between Insomniac developing MM and developing the remaster, other than perhaps the absolute number of man days involved? At what point do you hit a number of hours of effort that suddenly goes from 'this should be free' to 'this is ok to charge for'?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No source, as I'm saying we're not having a confirmation yet. And of course your PS4 version will still access your PS4 savefile. So that's backwards compatible for sure. But as has been said before in this thread:The Witcher 3 GOTY SKU isn't compatible with the savefile of vanilla Witcher 3 + DLC's on PS4, even though it's exactly the same data. There are other examples of this as well, mostly with GOTY editions that include all content on disc vs the vanilla SKU + DLC. They're usually treated as two different games by the system, so they use two different savefiles.

So

PS4 game on PS5 = PS4 SKU, so PS4 savefile
PS4 upgrade to PS5 = PS5 SKU, so PS5 savefile

Is probably how it's going to work, since this is how it has worked in the past. Again, no confirmation, but I'm not counting on being able to take my saves with me if the games are getting an entirely new SKU, like most cross-gen games.

Backwards compatibility and having (free) access to the PS5 version of a PS4 game are two different things.
Ah, I understand now. Yeah, new SKU almost always means incompatible saves. This remaster is a new SKU. Saves not working/new trophies is the most benign aspect by far of this and IMO not really an issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sorry, I should have specified that I meant upgrade path from Spider-Man PS4 to Spider-Man PS5. That's my fault, thanks for catching that, I'll make the edit.

Yeah free or not the lack of any standalone upgrade path for Spider-Man 2018 is the real issue here that I see. I get being annoyed by that for sure.

I do think itll be sold standalone eventually but not while Marvel/Sony want to boost MM sales numbers. When the Ultimate Edition of MM stops selling on its own they'll either sell the Remaster on its own or put it on PS+ probably.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
No lies detected. That final boss fight was bonkers and beautiful. In fact, I love how they handled the antagonist all together. It was great.

Oh man, Otto actually got me in the heart. Even though I knew he would become Doc Ock.

Edit: Spoiler didn't work somehow, weird.

So yeah, I agree that the ending alone is so completely worth it, those 20 dollars.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is really awful. At the very least let us buy an "upgrade to ps5 version" patch on the store.

Xbox plays all my old xbox one and one x games with next gen update for free. As it should be. Sony wants me to buy a whole new game?

I do think they should allow the $20 upgrade path be available to SM PS4 owners. I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear too - this is far more than an increase in resolution/framerate and tagging surfaces for ray-tracing. We have put a significant amount of work and effort into the Remaster. From my blog on the matter:

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game's art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console's horsepower. You'll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You'll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We'll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller's haptic feedback. Lastly we're adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."
I think at this point you'll just need to release a trailer or showcase that the enhancements aren't simply flipping graphics setting switches, since some people are convinced that's all that's being done.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're doing exactly that with the upgrade of the PS4 version of miles morales, all for free. I don't really see an excuse for Sony besides them wanting to make an extra $20 which I find worth calling out

If your only reasoning for why $20 should be called out is because others are not doing it, I will respectfully move on.

Buisness, labor etc, is not just based on what other people are doing but instead worth. If it's worth it to you, sure...if it's not then fine.

How much they want to charge imo shouldn't be this much of a debate. I get a consumer, wanting things for free just because you have been loyal, because you've put the work in, is great and one to be praised for (which imo is still weird but yo each their own). But it's not fair to tell others who chose to charge for what they deem worth it, to tell them it's not because of so and so. It's fucked up. Miles Morales is half the game the OG is and it seems, has been scaled down for the ps4 which is why the upgrade to that is free. But OG is a game that has to be scaled up, and has been with additional stuff (not sure if content has been added outside of costumes and stuff) . If they want to charge for that because they are saying it's worth it and because the energy they out into it is worth it....then fine.

Telling the devs who stand by their product and hard work however that their bosses are greedy and it's totally not worth $20 because so and so....that's disgusting to me.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
If your only reasoning for why $20 should be called out is because others are not doing it, I will respectfully move on.

Buisness, labor etc, is not just based on what other people are doing but instead worth. If it's worth it to you, sure...if it's not then fine.

How much they want to charge imo shouldn't be this much of a debate. I get a consumer, wanting things for free just because you have been loyal, because you've put the work in, is great and one to be praised for (which imo is still weird but yo each their own). But it's not fair to tell others who chose to charge for what they deem worth it, to tell them it's not because of so and so. It's fucked up. Miles Morales is half the game the OG is and it seems, has been scaled down for the ps4 which is why the upgrade to that is free. But OG is a game that has to be scaled up, and has been with additional stuff (not sure if content has been added outside of costumes and stuff) . If they want to charge for that because they are saying it's worth it and because the energy they out into it is worth it....then fine.

Telling the devs who stand by their product and hard work however that their bosses are greedy and it's totally not worth $20 because so and so....that's disgusting to me.
Again, you should be expecting more out of multimillion dollar corporations. Regardless of how you feel about them. They are not your friends

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I will get the remaster eventually just because of how good that climax is and I want to see all those dramatic moments playing out with those sexy next gen character models

Last few hours of Spider-Man PS4 might actually be better than any Spider-Man movie to date

If it were my first console....I'd be there too. Based off the Miles footage....whew.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This isn't right. They allow cross save on games. But this is meaning both games are on the same code base, file structure etc.
Yes, which is probably not the case when looking at PS4 VS PS5 games. We're already seeing Spider-Man (2018) + DLC is 70 GB on last-gen, while it's 55 GB on next-gen. So the file structure and codebase obviously aren't the same. I can't imagine Ubisoft not wanting to make use of the SSD for faster loading speeds and stuff like that, for which they have to alter the file structure, and of course it adds more stuff like ray tracing, so the code base is also different there. That's why I'm not expecting to be able to take my savefile with me, just like with Spider-Man. I'm expecting them to be 'different' games, in which case they are going to use different savefiles..

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, which is probably not the case when looking at PS4 VS PS5 games. We're already seeing Spider-Man (2018) + DLC is 70 GB on last-gen, while it's 55 GB on next-gen. So the file structure and codebase obviously aren't the same. I can't imagine Ubisoft not wanting to make use of the SSD for faster loading speeds and stuff like that, for which they have to alter the file structure, and of course it adds more stuff like ray tracing, so the code base is also different there. That's why I'm not expecting to be able to take my savefile with me, just like with Spider-Man. I'm expecting them to be 'different' games, in which case they are going to use different savefiles..
Yeah stuff like that has to be thought of in advance but I don't see it as a hindrance for most. What May have happened for Spider-Man is that there are changes to MM saves and that also happened to Remastered as well.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
I don't get it. Is the profit margin on ultimate vs regular higher than a stand alone paid upgrade? Why would they do this.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
This is a baffling decision, entitlement or not, the cost of the goodwill lost here when Microsoft is aggressively courting it is going to outweigh the profits that could be made by selling the remaster this way. (IMO).

I don't even own the original game and was considering purchasing the ultimate edition for that reason... But this actually puts me off doing so.

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority (as in over 99%) of X1 games are not getting next-gen updates that are even remotely equivalent to what Spider-Man is getting in its remaster.
I had an X1 and when I upgraded to one X the games were like next gen updates for free. Massively improved framerate, resolution, textures, special effects. FOR FREE. Even though I would have paid for a patch.

I still have my spiderman ps4 disc and I've sold my pro for my coming ps5. I just want to play the best version of the game I already have. Paying 70 for the privilege is a smack in the face unless they've somehow remade the game? I'm not clear on exactly what the difference between the PS4 Pro and PS5 versions are. I hadnt even made it far into the game so I don't need new levels or whatever.

If you haven't played One X (many haven't) you likely don't realise the bump it gave the games. It was far superior to pro patches for example.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that content is not separated anymore, it's not that easy. Plus what about people who only bought on or two of the DLCs. You want to create 4 different SKUs?
Yes. They're not an indie studio dude. You need to expect more from multimillion dollar corporations, even Sony.

Fwiw I really doubt Insomniac is the issue here

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I mean 99% of those devs were not part of any decision of the pricing, hell, it's possible that absolutely no one at Insomniac had any input on the price, so I don't think that's really a point worth focusing on. No one is telling them that their work isn't worth shit, we just expected Sony to carry that cost, because of good will, competition, enticing people to the ps5 etc.

I doubt anyone at Insomniac would be upset if this upgrade was released for free

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
But the upgrade contains all DLC. Should everyone who only owns the base game get all DLC for free?

What about people who bought one or two of the three DLCs? They get less for free than people withe base game only.
Witcher 3 update is free for everyone even if you don't have any DLC. This isn't a good excuse for Sony to be so greedy

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I still have my spiderman ps4 disc and I've sold my pro for my coming ps5. I just want to play the best version of the game I already have. Paying 70 for the privilege is a smack in the face unless they've somehow remade the game? I'm not clear on exactly what the difference between the PS4 Pro and PS5 versions are. I hadnt even made it far into the game so I don't need new levels or whatever.
The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game's art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console's horsepower. You'll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You'll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We'll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller's haptic feedback. Lastly we're adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.

Source

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I don't understand what is going on here.

let's say, Nintendo releases Zelda: BOTW (barebones) on WiiU and Zelda: BOTW plus DLC on Switch on the same date.

a person buys BOTW for WiiU, and then they furiously demand that Nintendo gives them the DLC for free once they buy the Switch hardware??

is this what's happening here? or am I missing something and is the situation completely different??

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
men-discussing--fightm8k7o.png

Hahahahah. This is too good.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Yes. They're not an indie studio dude. You need to expect more from multimillion dollar corporations, even Sony.

Fwiw I really doubt Insomniac is the issue here

It's not about Insomniac being an issue. But you make it sound so easy to create a valid upgrade path with 4 different SKUs that all contain a different subset of content and all of this possibly even for free?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'll be waiting for a significant price reduction on Miles Morales Ultimate then. The good news is, because it's also launching on PS4, it'll likely sell well and get a reduction in a reasonable timeframe.

Looks like it'll only be Cyberpunk I'm buying around launch, even if it's not the next gen upgraded version.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017

let's say, Nintendo releases Zelda: BOTW (barebones) on WiiU and Zelda: BOTW plus DLC on Switch on the same date.

a person buys BOTW for WiiU, and then they furiously demand that Nintendo gives them the DLC for free once they buy the Switch hardware??

is this what's happening here? or am I missing something and is the situation completely different??
Yup I'm in the same boat, I don't get why folks are pissed off. The same stuff happened with The Last of Us from PS3 to PS4 and I never recalled any bouts of rage from folks but for some reason Spider-man brings out the rage for some people I guess.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

Umm yes the situations are completely different. Wii U and Switch versions of BOTW released on the same date and are visually identical. A more relevant comparison would be between the Wii U ports and the later Switch versions which is bullshit too.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about Insomniac being an issue. But you make it sound so easy to create a valid upgrade path with 4 different SKUs that all contain a different subset of content and all of this possibly even for free?
Umm yeah dude I'm sure they have the money and man power to pull it off lmao it's not like other companies aren't able to do the same thing... Again, you should expect more out of multimillion dollar corporations.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Again, you should be expecting more out of multimillion dollar corporations. Regardless of how you feel about them. They are not your friends

there is a spectrum between a balanced view understanding the cost to the developer, cost to the publisher and their desire to get a return on investment - and the entitlement/expectation/hope that as a consumer we will get it for more/less money or even free. All that is fine. I'm totally ok with people expressing disappointment and hoping they might have had the upgrade available for free. Or being able to pay eg $10-20 for the upgrade separately from MM.

What I can't understand is the hyperbolic reactions which are sadly all too common these days. You have to be disgusted, it has to be anti consumer, you have to boycott etc. And any critical thought to the contrary is too often dismissed as bootlicking or being a corporate apologist.

Zero nuance. Zero grey area. Depressing as hell

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
This discussion will go absolutely no where, for me I'd not support Sony in such practices whatsoever.
If we are to push the industry into a better position for us the players, I believe we should criticizes this kind of choices, Microsoft and CDPR are setting an example, and I think other publishers should follow in their footsteps.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I'm a bit annoyed my save data doesn't carry.

I wasn't expecting a free upgrade (it would have been nice), but what irks me is the Miles piece (which is most likely significantly smaller than the base game), is going to cost me £50...

Those high prices on first party next gen games aren't going down well. Other companies are doing free upgrades too. Doesn't paint a great picture, but development work does always cost a pretty penny. I'm slightly torn

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
there is a spectrum between a balanced view understanding the cost to the developer, cost to the publisher and their desire to get a return on investment - and the entitlement/expectation/hope that as a consumer we will get it for more/less money or even free. All that is fine. I'm totally ok with people expressing disappointment and hoping they might have had the upgrade available for free. Or being able to pay eg $10-20 for the upgrade separately from MM.

What I can't understand is the hyperbolic reactions which are sadly all too common these days. You have to be disgusted, it has to be anti consumer, you have to boycott etc. And any critical thought to the contrary is too often dismissed as bootlicking or being a corporate apologist.

Zero nuance. Zero grey area. Depressing as hell
I mean it's Sony. It's not an indie studio. You need to expect more. There's a rapidly growing precedent of next gen versions being free, you'll see it become the norm very soon

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Just to be clear too - this is far more than an increase in resolution/framerate and tagging surfaces for ray-tracing. We have put a significant amount of work and effort into the Remaster. From my blog on the matter:

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game's art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console's horsepower. You'll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You'll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We'll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller's haptic feedback. Lastly we're adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."
$20 bucks for this is totally fair. Just a separate purchase should be available for those who don't want to spend 80€ on launch...