• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

The MS damage control already lol

This is worded in a manner as though he feels people don't get their vision even though it's been drummed in over and over. I think they've spelt it out very clearly, it's just that PlayStation gets more attention as a brand from the simplest of messaging. Maybe he's frustrated by that, but even then there's no need for this kind of response.

Is this what you Americans call "passive-agressive" ?
That's the term I would have used, had it come to mind.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
Thank god they are not holding themself back like xbox does by making games playable on the older console. Completely defeats the purpose of having a generation.

that's kinda my thinking.. when it comes to messaging Sony basically tells us "yeah we are going all out on this new technology"
And considering many of the barriers in past game design will be lifted with the speed of the SSD in those new consoles I'd much rather have them just abandon the old consoles for the sake of taking full advantage of the new hardware without the limits of having to make games compatible to lesser hardware.
This isn't a PS360/PS4 Xbox One kind of jump where all you can basically do is make the graphics better, up the resolution and there you have it that's all you'll need to sell it as next generation..
It's a question of trying to push to new levels of game design that is only achievable with an SSD coupled with the power.

That's really all i want from them and it seems they are there to fill that role

Last edited:

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
that's kinda my thinking.. when it comes to messaging Sony basically tells us "yeah we are going all out on this new technology"
And considering many of the barriers in past game design will be lifted with the speed of the SSD in those new consoles I'd much rather have them just abandon the old consoles for the sake of taking full advantage of the new hardware without the limits of having to make games compatible to lesser hardware.

That's really all i want from them and it seems they are there to fill that role

Agreed. I want to play games that are only possible because of the SSD and the new architecture. This opens up new game design possibilities, and the benefits of moving to next gen are not limited to better graphical performance.

Friction

Nov 20, 2017
This is worded in a manner as though he feels people don't get their vision even though it's been drummed in over and over. I think they've spelt it out very clearly, it's just that PlayStation gets more attention as a brand from the simplest of messaging. Maybe he's frustrated by that, but even then there's no need for this kind of response.

AaronG needs to stop being a hypeman. A good marketing executive stays in the background, not try to be in centre of it all. Xbox's car salesman approach to marketing comes off very unprofessional, he should sit in the shadows, drive effective marketing campaigns with his team and let the product do the talking.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Sarcasm? I really cant tell anymore.

ShSUA49.gif

lol, wasn't that like 8 years ago? Yoshida has moved to his indie project, and Adam Boyes has left the company,

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps Microsoft should avoid engaging in these exchanges or direct responses to Sony. It always makes them look like they are following their trail, instead of showing they are leading the pack. Just make your bold statement in your own lane. It's almost as if they don't feel secure about their place in the video game industry - quite a shaky approach.
For real, it always seems some MS related reply or tweet pops up after every Sony announcement. Happened after Unreal 5 demo as well. They do a shit job at hyping up their own console and try to ride the coattail of their rivals lol.

Hope they show the design asap so you can change your avatar, the shittiest and laziest concept I've seen lol, it's just a PS4 Slim.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I do really like to stay out of some of the console war banter as I'm getting too old for that crap but that tweet by Mr.Greenberg is just a microcosm of some of the things that you don't really see a lot of the Sony executives do. I'm not saying that they don't have good fun and laughs and maybe retweet certain things but they're messaging has always been very consistent versus some of the talking heads over at Microsoft.

At the end of the day Sony's presentation next Thursday will do a lot of talking just like any other presentation for any other developer or platform. Sony leans heavily on walking that walk not necessarily just doing unnecessary banter which the forums more than make up that little difference in case somebody wanted a certain level of stupidity sometimes.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Microsoft's strategy is also good, in different ways. But they're not going to convince people like myself who want that next-gen shit ASAP, to buy their console. Instead I will play those Microsoft Studios games on PC through Game Pass. Which is one of the ways in which Microsoft's ecosystem strategy is good. Basically it's more inclusive and saves you money. It allows me to focus on PC and PS5 (assuming the upcoming showcases are convincing) instead of also another system. Won't have to make a difficult choice or anything. This is pretty perfect for me.

Also their efforts with backwards compatibility are commendable. I don't really care about that personally, don't have any Xbox One games and wouldn't want to replay any if I did, but as someone who's primarily on PC and who is not going to play Control until I've built a new one, I understand how the performance and visuals of existing games getting an upgrade can be compelling. And that is genuinely something that's unusual to see for a console launch. Typically something you only get with PC's.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they're so hellbent on keeping around a system that should've been taken out back and shot dead years ago.

Microsoft has been trying to win back public opinion for a while now regarding Xbox, so they've gone the extra mile in being pro-consumer because they hope it'll pay off in the long term.

Making it so people with Xbox Ones aren't left behind at launch of Series X is a big pro-consumer move... even if it's not what some would want. I'd personally prefer 'some' next gen only 1st party launch games.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft has been trying to win back public opinion for a while now regarding Xbox, so they've gone the extra mile in being pro-consumer because they hope it'll pay off in the long term.

Making it so people with Xbox Ones aren't left behind at launch of Series X is a big pro-consumer move... even if it's not what some would want. I'd personally prefer 'some' next gen only 1st party launch games.

It won't be seen as pro consumer by purchasers of series X when they realise they're playing gimped games held back by the turd that was the original Xbox One.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a PS360/PS4 Xbox One kind of jump where all you can basically do is make the graphics better, up the resolution and there you have it that's all you'll need to sell it as next generation..
It's a question of trying to push to new levels of game design that is only achievable with an SSD coupled with the power.
100x this.

MS has committed to their approach with the pro-consumer, cross-platform stuff where they just want more people to access their games against everything else that is happening in the industry, and personally I don't think it will pay off like they're expecting. It seems like a huge overcorrection in continuing to appear pro-consumer by supporting their current console for longer, but it just allows the already market leader to pull ahead again by having the best examples of next-gen games on a console that appears to have benefits of its own such as the I/O and speed and in top graces with devs.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be seen as pro consumer by purchasers of series X when they realise they're playing gimped games held back by the turd that was the original Xbox One.
Purchasers are not being mislead and have been given a choice well in advance, so there won't be a surprise. They can buy it late next year if they want. Not forcing others to upgrade during the initial launch of next gen machines is considerate to millions of existing consumers.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Aaron better hope the results we see over the next few months match with PR gloss they've been putting on this situation.

Because as is, the situation is that Sony was in a position to both serve their existing platform right up until the very end, and to start pivoting resources 3+ years ago into next-gen projects that would be ready for 2020. To serve both the PS4 audience throughout, and to start serving the PS5 audience with next-gen games from day one.

And Microsoft was not. Their hardware pipeline was ready for transition this year, their first party software pipeline simply isn't.

In terms of transitions historically, Microsoft's situation is the odd man out here, not Sony's.

Trying to spin underdelivery on first party games this gen, and the inability to start next gen projects on time for a 2020 release, as some kind of pro consumer philosophy, is a neat trick. But it's just that, pure marketing gloss over a much simpler explanation: that they simply didn't have their ducks in a row, and the rebuild of the studio group won't bear fruit for another while.

For example, there's nothing magical about the 1-2 year timeframe Matt Booty outlined from a consumer friendliness point of view - it's simply the lag time from the studio investments and/or when they managed to start allocating resources to new next-gen only projects. It's not magically pro-consumer to have those ready for 2021 or 2022 rather than 2020. They simply weren't able to have those projects ready earlier, at least not without reneging on existing public commitments to the Xbox One, which they were never going to do (e.g. without switching Halo Infinite or others to next-gen only).

In the end it comes down to the lineups. If the XSX lineup is competitively impressive despite all this, then they'll have jumped these hoops well. On the other hand if the lack of 'readiness' with next-gen only projects shows, then they will have a much bigger marketing headache than crafting response tweets I think.

Last edited:

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Sony's way of releasing big games all the way until close to launch of their next console and then having games on their new console that are exclusive.

They did it with the PS3 and now the PS4.

The fact we are getting The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima this close to the PS5 launch shows that Sony is looking after their customers.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That Aaron's tweet got job done.

It derailed this thread in huge way as now that tweet is all people seem to be capable of talking about, when not too busy talking shit about Aaron or Nelson.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's a tool that might not always show up in the most obvious ways. A lot of people will look at games and they'll know if they look good or not but not necessarily if it's 'ray traced or not'. While with those other things, the difference due to them may be more distinctly/unambiguously related back to those things.

A side note, but Activision put out a paper in the last couple of days on how they're evolving their lighting pipeline, and it was fairly sobering with regard to the 'dream' of 100% path traced lighting, for this coming gen. It'll be some time before it's so cheap that such a general solution will be preferred over some blend of dynamic plus precomputation plus temporal accumulation etc. That doesn't mean the RT support will be useless - it'll help the dynamic components a lot and be useful in spot-application to the cases that are difficult for traditional systems to handle - but how much of that is packaged up easily for marketing is difficult to say. People just want to see great lighting and graphics, but as in, say UE5, and likely as in the stuff we'll see next Thursday, it won't be purely about ray tracing.
I'm just happy Ray Tracing has it's foot in the door. It's the ultimate solution for visual (and audio) realism and the fact it is available on mainstream devices is the big first step. It's going to be many years before all these custom graphics rendering "tricks" get totally replaced by raytracing, but at least we have started down that path.
Hopefully the audio raytracing becomes a standard much sooner. Played COD Warzone last night and having someone's footsteps sound the same if they were one floor above you or 10 floors above you is silly.

Joo

May 25, 2018
ShSUA49.gif
Well this was a completely different situation as MS caused the whole uproar all by themselves. While it's a jab at MS, this gif is still completely in good spirit, while Greenberg just comes off as very passive-aggressive. I don't like his approach at all and as a marketing guy, he should at least even try to have some likability. This kind of "look, I can't say this outright but trust me, our console is definitely better than competition's" kind of marketing probably isn't going to connect with a lot of people.
I don't understand why they're so hellbent on keeping around a system that should've been taken out back and shot dead years ago.
I guess it's mainly because they don't want people paying for Game Pass to feel left out, as their first party content is just starting to really come out and their first-party just probably isn't ready for the full transition yet as most of them are fairly fresh acquisitions and probably have had some games in development already at the time of purchase.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The world is heading towards a big economic crisis and not many people will be able to afford a new console, I think cross-gen releases will be here for longer than last gen because of that.

And Microsoft's new philosophy will pay-off as they will still be able to sell software without the need to sell more hardware.

Oct 29, 2017
I much prefer this approach over MS's, and consider the whole "pro-consumer" argument for the latter a moot point when both machines are going to be backwards compatible and we'll be getting plenty of cross-gen games from third parties for years anyway.

First parties making all their games for both generations is the last thing I want.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Aaron better hope the results we see over the next few months match with PR gloss they've been putting on this situation.

Because as is, the situation is that Sony was in a position to both serve their existing platform right up until the very end, and to start pivoting resources 3+ years ago into next-gen projects that would be ready for 2020. To serve both the PS4 audience throughout, and to start serving the PS5 audience with next-gen games from day one.

And Microsoft was not. Their hardware pipeline was ready for transition this year, their first party software pipeline simply isn't.

In terms of transitions historically, Microsoft's situation is the odd man out here, not Sony's.

Trying to spin underdelivery on first party games this gen, and the inability to start next gen projects on time for a 2020 release, as some kind of pro consumer philosophy, is a neat trick. But it's just that, pure marketing gloss over a much simpler explanation: that they simply didn't have their ducks in a row, and the rebuild of the studio group won't bear fruit for another while.

For example, there's nothing magical about the 1-2 year timeframe Matt Booty outlined from a consumer friendliness point of view - it's simply the lag time from the studio investments and/or when they managed to start allocating resources to new next-gen only projects. It's not magically pro-consumer to have those ready for 2021 or 2022 rather than 2020. They simply weren't able to have those projects ready earlier, at least not without reneging on existing public commitments to the Xbox One, which they were never going to do (e.g. without switching Halo Infinite or others to next-gen only).

In the end it comes down to the lineups. If the XSX lineup is competitively impressive despite all this, then they'll have jumped these hoops well. On the other hand if the lack of 'readiness' with next-gen only projects shows, then they will have a much bigger marketing headache than crafting response tweets I think.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ox-games-could-be-delayed-by-coronavirus.html

Yup, after reading Jim Ryan's interview, this Phil Spencer interview came to mind when he was talking about game development pipeline. I definitely think Sony was more prepared to transition software wise than Microsoft and it'll show this fall.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
That Aaron's tweet got job done.

It derailed this thread in huge way as now that tweet is all people seem to be capable of talking about, when not too busy talking shit about Aaron or Nelson.
You could argue that but really there are so many open PS5 related threads on the go at the moment and Greenberg is a known buffoon.
He made them look insecure.

It also allowed for this skewering of their no more generations PR…

Cuts through the bullshit.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Such double standards everywhere.

You all guys talk like the last of us II, ghost of tsushima, cyberpunk 2077, Halo: infinite, and many more won't be good games thanks to outdated console hardware.

In any case, both consoles will take advantage of new Gen hardware down the road. PlayStation did a great job supporting their console until the last minute with amazing games. Microsoft is doing right for the ones that believed in their console years ago.
We are all freaking winning here but you're so into your own freaking war that you don't see that this is a great time to be gaming. But, of course, you only want to see your platform of choice make the other its bitch. I can already see people having orgasms and overreacting at the power of SSDSDHFHFH next week and some other criticising every little detail that they come across just to prove some point.

Please, people... Try to behave and stay objective throughout this. Let's have a discussion worth of sinking our time on this goddamn forum.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

ShSUA49.gif

Sony is running the same play here. "We still believe in new generations" is the new "sharing the game".

Microsoft is falling into the same trap. Not as bad as before of course, but they are telling core gamers what they don't want to hear. We want new first party games on our brand new hardware that can't be played anywhere else.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Sony is running the same play here. "We still believe in new generations" is the new "sharing the game".

Microsoft is falling into the same trap. Not as bad as before of course, but they are telling core gamers what they don't want to hear. We want new first party games on our brand new hardware that can't be played anywhere else.

Until we see what Microsoft cooking up on their first party :) And that has nothing to do with it, because if we compare who has the most pro consumer strategy it is XBOX for what we know today. Microsoft at the time was not at all pro consumer

If XBOX comes with a cross gen first party game, visually at the level of a PS5 first party game, what are you going to say? I know you will tell me about SSD, but there are already cross gen games that will not have loading time on the next gen version (The ascent).

I bought FH2 & Rise of tomb raider on Xbox One, because their next gen version had a real next gen visual, even better than some games only thought for the next gen.

D3M0N666

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
MS being shady lately and Sony not even acknowledging them has been...fun.
They have different ideas for their next consoles...and it's okay.

No need to tweet something reacting to everything Sony announces.
Reminds me of that random tweet with a controller Xbox account posted when Sony announced theirs a few hours before.
Or the "No Boost mode" from yesterday.

I see no need in doing this. What's the goal?

This is a reply to Jim Ryan having a dig at Xbox mate, god...

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

ShSUA49.gif
From my perspective, I would say the difference between this and the Microsoft comms that people have been posting is that your example is "xbox doesn't do this thing but playstation does" but the Microsoft ones come across as "that thing sony said, yeah well we do that too so don't forget about us please".

Slight difference but the first comes off as having confidence in your approach where as the second come off as more desperate to inject yourself into the conversation that you weren't a part of.

It's a valid thing to do but it is very risky as it could easily be interpreted as being desperate instead of simply promoting your offer. It's all down to timing I think, reacting so quickly after your competitor has stated something just to say you are doing it too is a really bad look in regards to confidence.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Such double standards everywhere.

You all guys talk like the last of us II, ghost of tsushima, cyberpunk 2077, Halo: infinite, and many more won't be good games thanks to outdated console hardware.

In any case, both consoles will take advantage of new Gen hardware down the road. PlayStation did a great job supporting their console until the last minute with amazing games. Microsoft is doing right for the ones that believed in their console years ago.
We are all freaking winning here but you're so into your own freaking war that you don't see that this is a great time to be gaming. But, of course, you only want to see your platform of choice make the other its bitch. I can already see people having orgasms and overreacting at the power of SSDSDHFHFH next week and some other criticising every little detail that they come across just to prove some point.

Please, people... Try to behave and stay objective throughout this. Let's have a discussion worth of sinking our time on this goddamn forum.

But remember that power doesn't matter...

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Sony's way of releasing big games all the way until close to launch of their next console and then having games on their new console that are exclusive.

They did it with the PS3 and now the PS4.

The fact we are getting The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima this close to the PS5 launch shows that Sony is looking after their customers.
It is kinda wild.

To have a big blowout for PS5 games and then to get what will arguably be one of the best games this generation right after it.

If XBOX comes with a cross gen first party game, visually at the level of a PS5 first party game, what are you going to say?
You would have to take into consideration differences between budget, manpower, etc... but, generally speaking, a game built for Xbox One and then ported to Xbox Series X isn't going to be on par with a game that is PS5 only.

The Xbox game could hold its own and look good with the graphical bumps from Series X, but I don't think there will be much of a comparison to be made against PS5 only games. The tech foundation has too big of a gap (base X1 vs PS5).

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Wow, yeah, it totally makes sense.
that 1-2 year period basically lines up with when their new studios will have games ready.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Wow, I could not agree more, the choice of MS is great for consumers at the end of the day, I would lie saying the opposite, but it was not only taken from this point of view, it is innocence to think so. This decision (as well as Sony's) was taken a long time ago, taking into account the production of the games, XBOX's(Or PS) position in the market among other things that will never pass us by. Just as Sony's line of '' True next-gen experience '' is PR talk on a certain level, this line from Aaron among others is the same. These are two correct decisions for both companies, which use our experience as a justification, and I hope and think they will bear positive results for everyone.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It is kinda wild.

To have a big blowout for PS5 games and then to get what will arguably be one of the best games this generation right after it.

You would have to take into consideration differences between budget, manpower, etc... but, generally speaking, a game built for Xbox One and then ported to Xbox Series X isn't going to be on par with a game that is PS5 only.

The Xbox game could hold its own and look good with the graphical bumps from Series X, but I don't think there will be much of a comparison to be made against PS5 only games. The tech foundation has too big of a gap (base X1 vs PS5).

We know nothing how Microsoft cross gen titles will look like so wait and see.

Just I don't think Halo infinite SX version will just have More FPS & res than One version. But a lot more, something like FH2/ROTR.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which Sony studios are likely to have PS5 games ready for launch or soon after anyway?

Gurilla, the other Naughty Dog team, Insomniac, who else?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Fantastic post.

This also lines up with microsofts previous history in generational transitions. Leading up to the 360 the original xbox was abandoned, the last few years of the 360 was primarily focused on kinect without much big budget non kinect games outside of their few headliners. Xbox one has also been lacking in big budget exclusives too in comparison to their competitors.

I actually remember bringing this up here around a year ago and pointing out that if their new studio acquisitions bear fruit with highly rated, non halo/forza/gears AAA games it would take a few years and because of that, xbox would have had the stigma of being a console that only has those 3 franchises as their only big exclusives for at least 10/15 years (from when kinect took over to new studio games coming out) and it would take a while for them to get over that stigma.

Funnily enough I got my first warning ever for apparently console waring which was the first time i have ever got reprimanded on here or Gaf in 10 years.