• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
My wallet is ready
EXMnmCXUMAAhH5P

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So when did the first year or so translate to forever?

You are still incorrect. Let alone games like Hellblade 2 are not announced for the Xbox One.
It's "for a while". We don't know exactly when the first XSX only game from Microsoft will arrive. Hellblade 2 surely isn't a launch title. So it might be the end of 2021 or even 2022. There won't be next-gen only games from MS at launch. And that is something that hampers the hype for many who want a true next-gen experience. Of course, it remains to be seen how good something like Halo Infinite holds up to Sony launch games. Maybe we will see some crazy improvements in Halo over the Xbox One version. But they won't be able to fully utilize the new SSD at least.

Dec 8, 2018
The games that launch with the console, especially big budget exclusives, will have been in development for years. Likely to release originally on PS4 and bumped to PS5 or development started prior to lock down of PS5 specs.

Therefore none of the launch window exclusives will have been developed for next gen "from the ground up".

The developers of Sony first party will have specs years in advance. This game engine developer that even worked at EA got some specs years ago like he says in this video.

Sony have always been about generation and there is a reason they have not talked about any new AAA game since 2017 and that is because they started to develop all games to PS5 even before that and there is not a single thing pointing to projects being like you claim "moved" from PS4 to PS5.

Game developers don't demand the exact specs or need development kits to start producing games especially since the first years are more about creating story, assets gameplay and then you scale up at the latter stages with the actual production of the game. That the PS5 is also an X86 system build around shared memory and AMD products also helps and this gen was probably the easiest to get the most out of their system for Sony ever. Basically there is no reason to suspect they won't already be able to produce a "real" next gen game at launch.

Certainly will uppgrades to their SDK and other tools and techniques make even more impressive games available later but I don't question for one second that Sony going all in on next gen like both Cerny and Jim says mean anything other than games build to take advantage of every bit of new hardware available when they claim that.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Next gen begins on June 4th, hype!!
We joke about that old quote, but this time it really does apply. Nobody has really shown anything mindblowingly next-gen, and Sony is about to drop the motherlode. Minus the VR stuff, I'm expecting an E3 2016 impact crater from Sony here. I don't think they've announced a single AAA exclusive since 2017. Several WWS haven't not released a game since 2017. Ryan saying that are going to give us a "jolt" with this presentation. Hype from those in the know.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I never said forever either.

Until stated otherwise, I believe every Xbox first party title will available on both Xbox One & Series X.

Your statement was made as if Xbox had never communicated an endpoint to their first party cross gen period, meaning it would go on indefinitely. Then in your response you posted the link to the Matt Booty quote stating cross-gen would last "one or two years" (as of Nov 2019) showing you had awareness that Xbox First Party would not be cross gen indefinitely and had already "stated otherwise". It appears as if you are commenting in bad faith.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting my pre-order in as soon as fucking possible.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
We joke about that old quote, but this time it really does. Minus the VR stuff, I'm expecting an E3 2016 impact crater from Sony here. I don't think they've announced a single AAA exclusive since 2017. Several WWS haven't not released a game since 2017. Ryan saying that are going to give us a "jolt" with this presentation. Hype from those in the know.

Yeah they are in a great position, the brand is stronger than ever.

I think they'll show a lot of good things ^^

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Your statement was made as if Xbox had never communicated an endpoint to their first party cross gen period, meaning it would go on indefinitely. Then in your response you posted the link to the Matt Booty quote stating cross-gen would last "one or two years" (as of Nov 2019) showing you had awareness that Xbox First Party would not be cross gen indefinitely and had already "stated otherwise". It appears as if you are commenting in bad faith.
Yeah you did. You are arguing in bad faith.
I'm sorry that got misinterpreted. I never meant indefinitely. It was meant to read exactly what Greenberg meant, which was during that first year launch window to two years. That's why I said "until stated otherwise". Because it literally has not been stated otherwise outside of the Hellblade II trailer.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Hmmm, I really need Jim to answer about backwards compatibility. If he's so keen on PS4 users and how many are in love with the network and the games on it, he should probably think about supporting older generations on the new hardware.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
No matter how nicely he tries to frame this, it's still a pretty scumbag move on Sony's part to not release their exclusives on PC.

I don't understand. They're not in the same position as Microsoft. Do you expect Nintendo to also release their exclusives on PC?

Microsoft isn't your friend. They do what they do because it makes business sense to them to do so.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they skip ps4 because they want to make use of ps5 features then it's obviously nice. However, a theoretical Demons Souls Remaster for example that allegedly was in development for ps4 and was canceled to be ps5 exclusive, or even Godfall would not be good examples as they just arbitrarily canned the ps4 version of the game.

So I hope it's less of the latter and more of the former. And let's go!
Jimbo: Fuck em ps4 players.

I don't even care. More reasons to buy PS5 lol. Take advantage of PS5 too.

El_Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Truly global? Will they include latin America or Will I need to import the console like the last time?

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh nice, I have to have a CT scan at 1:30 that afternoon (eastern) so this gives me something to look forward to after at least

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Should we expect good trade in deals for a PS5 from a PS4 Pro at launch? I got a great deal on a Pro trading in my OG PS4 at EB Games Canada, but that was in the following summer after launch.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
You're not going to see PS5 server racks in Azure DC.

You might see a common server for both Xbox and PS games. In sony's recent update on discussions with MS on cloud game streaming, at their corporate strategy day, among other things discussions on 'chipsets' were mentioned. A common server would make the world of sense.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Sony better show and prove.

they are the only dev/publisher making this stance so their games better show a generational difference compared to all other games. Otherwise this is just marketing talk to force people to upgrade hardware.