• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
To be fair EVERYONE was predicting the PS3 to be a runaway success that built on PS2's lineage.

Then Sony lost day 1 exclusives like Final Fantasy, GTA, then there was the price, the year long delay, Xbox 360 having generally better and more exciting games at the time etc.

360 also had a huge head start over PS3.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope they surpass their targets. PS5 is such an awesome machine and the games have been amazing already.
Very exciting.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most interesting part of that graph for me is that the PS1's strongest year was better than the PS2's. Crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there actually evidence that Xbox isn't selling much? Yes the Series S is hit or miss depending on the country, but Series X seems to be out of stock just as much as PS5.
Im not saying it's not selling as much. I think other users are saying it's selling slightly lower than One in the same time frame. I don't know how they are coming to that conclusion, as in what data they are looking at.

my thought is it's too early to tell for that specifically because they can't make enough units.

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't "selling much" even if it did Xbox One numbers again that would still be good IMO. I do think until Xcloud on smart TVs and phones launches Formally, there is a cap on Xbox market globally of 50-80M but that can always change

my only guess is XSS is manufactured less because people want the premium model, used games, etc and I believe both XSS and PS5 DE are like 20% of all units, so either way they're much less quantity and selling out quick

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That would be pretty amazing if Sony could produce that many units of a new console in this current environment.

A lot of people still want them so I hope they can meet the demand by the end of the year.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they will be able to do that even with renewed interest in Xbox, so those increased Xbox sales aren't taking away from ps5 and it's sales are increasing over ps4 at the same time?
You really think it's as simple as one goes up so one goes down? Both can go up. MS and PS aren't just competing with each other but entertainment mediums that fight for your free time. I'm surprised that you think simply because of this "renewed" interest, what metric is that by the way?, means automatic sales. Xbox isn't just about selling consoles, just more the service. You're thinking too black and white here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's mistake or internal readjustment years after
My data coming from Sony's own financial results shows PS1 peak year at 21.6M in FY98 and PS2 peak year at 22.52M in FY02
Interesting, thanks for the info. Either way, I had always assumed the PS2's best year would have blown out the others.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
It'll be interesting to see what impact the pandemic (an subsequent re-opening) has had.

Gaming was obviously booming while people were stuck at home. Some folks re-kindled their love of it (like myself) or are new and will stick around. Some will be outside all summer and lose interest.

I personally think the explosive growth of the industry will continue, but it'll be interesting to watch.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Is there actually evidence that Xbox isn't selling much? Yes the Series S is hit or miss depending on the country, but Series X seems to be out of stock just as much as PS5

The problem is that there is not as much stock. I believe MS ordered greater than Xbox One numbers but manufacturing has delivered fewer due to shortages. There have been other threads for that.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Where are the extra people coming in compared to the PS4? It definitely looks like more people are going in early. I know so many people that usually get a console 3 years in, that ended up with a PS5 at launch (or at least wanting one), but not sure I really see anything that's pulling in the people that never wanted a PS4 at all.

I personally know of a few people that owned Xbox Ones and no PS4 last gen that switched up this time because they got tired of missing games like Spider-Man and God of War.

That and gaming's just growing in general.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So much for losing marketshare.

Next argument will be, can they sustain it? With the games they produce, there's no doubt.

fbnaulin

Mar 15, 2018
Sony is showing a lot of confidence here. Sure the have a solid long-term plan for good software. We will see if this is real, or just catching PR.

Anyway, gaming is on flames these days.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im not saying it's not selling as much. I think other users are saying it's selling slightly lower than One in the same time frame. I don't know how they are coming to that conclusion, as in what data they are looking at.

my thought is it's too early to tell for that specifically because they can't make enough units.

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't "selling much" even if it did Xbox One numbers again that would still be good IMO. I do think until Xcloud on smart TVs and phones launches Formally, there is a cap on Xbox market globally of 50-80M but that can always change

my only guess is XSS is manufactured less because people want the premium model, used games, etc and I believe both XSS and PS5 DE are like 20% of all units, so either way they're much less quantity and selling out quick
Apologies, that comment about Xbox was directed in general.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
User Warned: Platform Warring
Meanwhile, the market leader is aiming at 30million this year.

Impressive if they can pull it off, with the semiconductor shortages going on

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I don't disbelieve they can sell that many PS5s but all evidence I've seen over the last 8 months suggest they are struggling with production of them.

Saying that, I highly doubt they would put that number out there to shareholders if they don't think they can produce them. Not reaching that target would tank the share price.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Very much disagree - they hit their stride immediately on release and haven't stopped.
The poster was probably referring to their huge AAA IPs, which they still have to release (with the exception of Spider-Man Miles Morales, which isn't a mainline title tho)

Horizon 2, the new God of War and Gran Turismo 7, they're all coming in the near future and it's going to be insane when they'll hit the market

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The poster was probably referring to their huge AAA IPs, which they still have to release (with the exception of Spider-Man Miles Morales, which isn't a mainline title tho)

Horizon 2, the new God of War and Gran Turismo 7, they're all coming in the near future and it's going to be insane when they'll hit the market
Huh? they release two AAA games already. Ratchet and Clank and Returnal was AAA

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Please adjust the thread title a little bit, people might not take this as a prediction. Add an "expects" or something. The demand is crazy though. Almost Apple-like. I wonder if they will even be able to produce this many devices though?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will easily meet this projection barring a global catastrophe.

Also can't believe some are still in denial about PS5s popularity. Too much time on forums.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Very doable. Demand isn't slowing down despite being ahead of PS4 at the same point in time.

Mar 8, 2018
I think that, contrary to the narrative about scalpers, that PS5s are indeed filtering into the hands of gamers at a speedy clip. It's not readily available to the more casual audience who might pick one up as a birthday or Christmas present off the shelf at a store. But given a concerted, consistent effort, they are attainable in the long run for the hardcore crowd. I'd look to this forum as evidence that the enthusiast segment is well on its way to fully upgrading to next gen (for whichever console).

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I don't disbelieve they can sell that many PS5s but all evidence I've seen over the last 8 months suggest they are struggling with production of them.

Saying that, I highly doubt they would put that number out there to shareholders if they don't think they can produce them. Not reaching that target would tank the share price.
Their production has actually been really good. They've shipped and sold more PS5s than PS4s in the same amount of time. There is just a ridiculously higher amount of demand this time around

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question raised by some posts here:

Doesn't XSS's continued lower popularity and wider availability versus XSX and PS5 indicate that Microsoft's theory of the case - that customers are today more interested in services and subscriptions than hardware - incorrect? The device that is built for Gamepass and XCloud, and is cheaper and presumably in lower supply, is pretty available, but the higher supply, more expensive, premium ones are extremely hard to pick up.

We talk so much about Gamepass on here, but ignore that hardware still seems to be prime.

Mar 8, 2018
Their production has actually been really good. They've shipped and sold more PS5s than PS4s in the same amount of time. There is just a ridiculously higher amount of demand this time around
The PS4 is just so long in the tooth at this point that people are desperate to jump to something better. I think that's what's driving demand right now. Even if there aren't a ton of true next gen exclusives, the fact that the PS5 just makes your PS4 games better all around is a huge selling point. The PS4 couldn't say the same about PS3 games because of the compability cutoff. So in that case you had a better reason to wait for exclusives. In this case, why wait if you have the money?

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
It'll be interesting to see how demand holds up post COVID. The whole industry has been on a high the past year+ and I'm worried we might be experiencing a bubble.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Interesting that they will be able to do that even with renewed interest in Xbox, so those increased Xbox sales aren't taking away from ps5 and it's sales are increasing over ps4 at the same time?

Things might change in the future, but aren't the Series consoles selling less than the Xbox One? This renewed interest still hasn't materialized in the actual numbers, it's still just a perception and we don't know how things will play out.

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
Things might change in the future, but aren't the Series consoles selling less than the Xbox One? This renewed interest still hasn't materialized in the actual numbers, it's still just a perception and we don't know how things will play out.
It's literally all down to production. The One wasn't selling out at this point. Series is. Also the Series X is apparently the hardest to mass produce of the current gen.

Which reminds me, anyone know if Microsoft is still using that CO2 neutral production method for the Series, or did they abandon it because it was too slow?