• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So Sony has an interest to keep their ecosystem relevant and even expand it. Making their games popular on PC can help, maybe some people then want to buy a PS5 to play the sequel that isn't yet on PC and likely won't release there for the next year or two. Day and date releases on the other hand could hurt their ecosystem, since people don't see a point of getting a PS5 anymore (excluding live service games, since they aim for the massive MTX revenue there).

Day and date will be delicious. I expect the goalposts to move when it happens.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Day and date will be delicious. I expect the goalposts to move when it happens.
My favorite post about Sony PC games:
www.resetera.com

(Rumor) Sackboy: A Big Adventure is on the SteamDB

- Sony will never port games to PC. - Sony is porting the Quantic Dream games because it is an investor in Epic and the exclusivity money paid for development. Don't expect more ports. - Sony is porting Horizon Zero Dawn because most of the work has been done on account of Death Stranding using...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, I see its useless. You are just a stubborn PC MasterRace andy who is not interested in a discussion. Have fun in your bubble where everything fits your narrative I guess lol.
People really keep trying to make it seem like day and date will be a thing when reality is it probally will be for the foreseeable future be Console —> Stream —>PC for them. They have zero financial incentive to do day and date and canibalize their console sales Anytime soon. If their console sales were hurting or less than say whaat PS4 was then sure I could see it. But There is zero indication that they have any pressure to do day 1 for either streaming or PC.
At most Day and Date will be their Live Service stuff only.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
So Sony has an interest to keep their ecosystem relevant and even expand it. Making their games popular on PC can help, maybe some people then want to buy a PS5 to play the sequel that isn't yet on PC and likely won't release there for the next year or two. Day and date releases on the other hand could hurt their ecosystem, since people don't see a point of getting a PS5 anymore (excluding live service games, since they aim for the massive MTX revenue there).
I don't know why Resetera refuses to admit it, but in the real world many people - A LOT OF PEOPLE - don't want to buy a PC to play games. They still see them -- unfairly or not - as noisy and bothersome, when all they want is something to hit a button on and *boom* play some games.

When even Sony is coming around to the idea that you can reach more gamers - and make more money - by releasing on PC, it's time for gamers to admit that it's ok if the company that makes the plastic box you like is sharing its games with more people.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I see its useless. You are just a stubborn PC MasterRace andy who is not interested in a discussion. Have fun in your bubble where everything fits your narrative I guess lol.

Your not really building yourself a good case throwing around tired "PC MasterRace" nonsense, and assuming an opinion you don't like / agree with is from "one of those people that just read the headline", when clearly you could be of that same opinion reading beyond this headline and the numerous previous articles / news / threads on this topic.

I don't know if things will go day and date, but quite clearly a LOT of people on this forum have been very wrong on this PS PC topic with the consistent moving goal posts of narratives for Sony's strategy on PC (well evidenced by one of the earlier posts).

On this topic, I don't think Playstation first party games being "day and date" on PC is going to drastically change anything regarding how many people buy PS consoles nor how many third party games sell on their consoles. Doing this does not suddenly change the relevance of PS and it's console ecosystem to console players, who like to play on the consoles in that ecosystem, just as a ton of PC players despite interest in the games, happily don't bother getting a console and games if they prefer playing on PC with its various advantages and quirks. (Though it certainly can and would increase PS relevance for non-console owners)

Sony have no doubt done the maths and consider it unlikely people all suddenly switch to PC for putting their games there, and it would be no surprise that as they put out more content on PC they edge closer and closer to "day and date" release schedule, particularly when they already are at the point of announcing PC and PS versions day and date.

The simple reason to take this path is it is good buisness sense to be multiplatform on non-competing platforms/services, where they can access a large market they can't reach just through console.

From a PC player perspective, its also good to see Kenichiro confirming "aims to "provide access to our games to as many users as possible" and it'll be "rolling out" more PlayStation Studios titles onto storefronts like Steam and the Epic Games Store in the future." Another thing people proclaim is an impossibility, but makes perfect sense for the PC market - be on as many services as possible, as the customers of that ecosystem prefer, where you can access the widest audience and geographies.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

Look in the mirror. I mean, wow lol.

Still clinging to the old excuse even with the CEO telling you they're going more multiplatform. Even with more investment into PC porting.

Sony's ports are even better then Microsoft's. This isn't an afterthought for them.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Your not really building yourself a good case throwing around tired "PC MasterRace" nonsense, and assuming an opinion you don't like / agree with is from "one of those people that just read the headline", when clearly you could be of that same opinion reading beyond this headline and the numerous previous articles / news / threads on this topic.

Maybe take a look what I was replying to, if the person wrote an answer like you did I wouldn't have called them a PC MasterRace andy.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

Still clinging to the old excuse even with the CEO telling you they're going more multiplatform. Even with more investment into PC porting.

Sony's ports are even better then Microsoft's. This isn't an afterthought for them.
Better than Ms's? In what sense? God of War? Horizon was a terrible port when it released.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Better than Ms's? In what sense? God of War? Horizon was a terrible port when it released.

God of War was an excellent port. Days Gone was decent. Horizon started off not so good, but it was really their first crack.

In the meantime they kept at those games. They've added DLSS support. Steam Deck verification.

They didn't just release and move on. I'm not downing Microsoft, but where's their DLSS support? In my opinion Sony's doing better ports, and it's awesome.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda funny how we went from "Microsoft is crazy and out of touch" with the decisions they were making with the XBox One, but in the long run really their viewpoint on the industry is seemingly become the standard even if the PS4 beat the XB1.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

This is the full quote from Sony's Corporate Strategy Meeting:

Sony Interactive Entertainment signed definitive agreements for the acquisition of Bungie, Inc., which represents a major step in becoming more multi-platform and enhancing Sony's live game services.

If you think this somehow means single player games will come day on date on other platforms, even though it doesn't say that at all, then I won't destroy that dream for you lol

Oct 30, 2017
It's kinda funny how we went from "Microsoft is crazy and out of touch" with the decisions they were making with the XBox One, but in the long run really their viewpoint on the industry is seemingly become the standard even if the PS4 beat the XB1.
I felt like the crazy and out of touch narrative primarily applied to the original Xbox One philosophy.
A large focus on media, always online DRM, and promises of the cloud enhancing games.

Microsoft's promise to develop all of their games on PC as well was probably largely met with "Welp I guess I don't need an Xbox now" from PC gamers. But I don't think most people considered that to be crazy.
And with such a weak first party lineup last gen, it really didn't even matter.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

MS' recent PC ports have been hit-or-miss, specifically Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. I think Psychonauts 2 also had some small issues.

And to be clear, this has nothing to do with the MS Store/Xbox App.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
GoW was a good port and Days Gone was Gears 4 and 5 tier aka really really good. They're not better about the same. That said more gow and days gone and gears ports and less Halo and Horizon ones.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
MS' recent PC ports have been hit-or-miss, specifically Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. I think Psychonauts 2 also had some small issues.

And to be clear, this has nothing to do with the MS Store/Xbox App.
Halo and FH5 ran pretty great on PC for me, FH5 even runs decently on the Steam Deck so it's pretty well optimized.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The writing is on the wall for dedicated consoles in a gen or two. There will be no point in a dedicated ground up box anymore unless it offers up something unique.

well for one it allows a way to play without constant internet lol

do you think dedicated desktops and laptops are going away, too?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Halo and FH5 ran pretty great on PC for me, FH5 even runs decently on the Steam Deck so it's pretty well optimized.

They run fine enough, but they still have/had some definite issues.

Halo Infinite for example:
controller support screwed up
can't turn off HDR
broken VRR
theater mode broken (not sure if this is a PC-specific problem though)

(fixed???)
memory leaks
crashing
stuttering
desync

FH5 is way less problematic than Halo, but it had its issues too. Most of them have been fixed though.

Aug 7, 2020
Makes sense for when they acquire Square and Capcom /s

Honestly going multiplatform makes sense nowadays. Everything is so interconnected, and now it's a lot more common to own two to three gaming platforms you move between instead of just one.

Software will always be the big driver for sales, not hardware.
Never in my lifetimes.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Microsoft puts their own games on Xbox consoles and PC. If that's the definition of "full multiplatform", then Sony is already doing that.

Microsoft isn't, however, putting their games on Playstation. And Sony certainly won't be putting their games on Xbox.

I think "multiplatform" in the context of this discussion is really just synonymous for "PC".
I think they mean pc and console simultaneous releases. No delay between versions and full streaming support.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
lots of people refuse to acknowledge or give credit to anything microsoft has been doing. what you're saying makes perfect sense and it's not just game pass though. what other ecosystem is out there where you can purchase games one time and play them on xbox, pc and mobile platforms with all your progress staying with you no matter where you are. they're absolutely ahead of the curve and others following their path is only a good thing.
yup, I'm in gaming heaven right now.

just got a new PC and going between that and my Series S has been godly.

i think Sony will be fine but i'd like to see more out of their services overall which has felt lacking this generation so far.

i don't even touch my PS5 that much anymore.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The current situation doesn't make what they tried to do with the Xbox One any better, to the contrary it makes it one of the dumbest if not the dumbest move of all time, because even back then it was completely obvious that the market would move into that direction. It was so obvious that i wrote the same back then.

Mar 27, 2022
jesus i really cant wait for true integration with pc , day 1 games on pc and/ or pc ports more frequently , dont want to support paid multiplayer and exclusives anymore that gatekeeps millions of people that dont have the money to spend it .

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird to see how much people care about exclusives not being available on PC and will just consistently move from one reason to another as to why Sony would do it for that one game but won't for other games. Death Stranding, Horizon, Days Gone, God of War, Uncharted.

Each one of those games had people certain they would never come to another platform and yet each one did/are and were followed by the unfortunately expected meltdowns that more people were going to be able to play more games because somehow if more people can play Sony first party games outside Sony hardware that means Sony is devaluing their games and hardware. And concerns over why anyone would ever buy a PlayStation console if they can play everything on PC, while ignoring the many reasons people choose to buy a console over a PC besides exclusive games which are in my opinion one of the least important reasons, the most important being price and the simplicity of a console when compared to a PC. Exclusives only matter when you are comparing similar things, like say someone was going to choose between buying an Xbox or a PlayStation.

I bought an Index so I could play Half-Life Alyx when it was announced and I can't wait to hear if Valve is going to port it to PSVR2 so more people can experience how fucking awesome that game is so I will never understand why people care when exclusive games they love come to other platforms. How is more people getting to play a game in anyway a negative? It's just dumb as hell to me.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gaming really changed in the last 7 years.

MS going full PC starting from 2016
Cross-play adoption
Sony expanding to PC as well starting from 2020.
Yep, Phil knew it was win/win. Getting to play games day 1 with PC friends has been such a positive shift in my gaming habit. Hopefully Sony/Nintendo catch on too. Impact to hardware is nominal.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I don't think you buy a PC port studio like Nixxes, then hire a senior director for PC release and strategy without at the VERY least closing the gap between console/PC release dates. The question now is whether Sony will integrate PSN into their PC releases, that way their MAU will never go down.

Valencia15

Banned
May 8, 2022
Sony has always been Multiplatform, They now Make Nintendo, PC, and ps games

I think in a couple of years Sony will replace PS now PC app with the PS store.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I don't think you buy a PC port studio like Nixxes, then hire a senior director for PC release and strategy without at the VERY least closing the gap between console/PC release dates. The question now is whether Sony will integrate PSN into their PC releases, that way their MAU will never go down.
If they want/are still expected to grow their player base, I feel like Sony needs to extend the PSN ecosystem into supporting PC, creating a storefront for PC games on PSN. Releasing their first-party games on day one on the store will be a really good incentive for PC players to get invested in the PSN ecosystem and buy their PC games there.

Integrating PC and PS into a unified ecosystem where PC and PS players can play together, join a group chat, share screenshots/achievements, etc. will be really great for players who own both PC and PS consoles or those who have friends who play only on PC or PS consoles. This is a long-term plan though, so it's gonna be a while until it arrives.

Aug 23, 2018
The pandemic and chip shortage has to have accelerated these plans, but regardless I'm happy that we have arrived here. It's still pretty crazy that Sony is being so open and aggressive with acquisitions based around this multi platform strategy. It will pay off big for them, especially if some of those live service games are hits. And Bungie's next franchise will no doubt attempt I am curious how multi platform they get with non-Bungie multiplayer games. Will they release on Xbox?

Others have mentioned MS being ahead of the curve here and they absolutely were and still are. PC and streaming opens a huge number of new customers. Bring your games to wherever your potential audience is and not force them into a $500 box alone.

I do find it odd that so many posters in this thread not only can't bring themselves to find the relevance in why someone would bring up Xbox's (similar) existing strategy, but are so angry and aggressive about it.

Like it or love it,

GamePass

has been and will continue to be a market disruptor of how people can consume content. And it's relevant to what Sony is doing with multi platform strategy and with their own subscriptions. The CEO speaks about reaching as many players as possible. While releasing 1P games a year late on steam is nice and all, you will need to do a bit
more for all the live service games they are working on. Releasing day and date into Plus Premium and on other platforms is a must.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Will depend on a lot. Sony has a balancing act to perform - to be prepared for a competitive flatland depending on how distribution evolves in the coming years, but to also not prematurely kill platform revenues in the interim, or to even artificially promote a situation that the market isn't really headed in (there have been lots of false dawns wrt media changes in the past). Or to manage a graceful transition away from a dependence on platform-related revenues. Very hard to put timelines on this at the moment, I think Sony will play it by ear.

But it is certainly interesting to see Sony more and more vocally highlight their preparedness to insulate the business from potential shifts.

Well said. It will be a very tough balancing act and for good reasons - PlayStation as a platform business is invaluable to Sony. Outside of the fact that it is the only successful platform they hold today, PS is also one of the exceedingly rare software platforms in existence today that have critical mass and are viable profit-wise.

Going forward they have to draw out a clear strategy to grow both segments. The traditional console ecosystem group with high-value users that gives them the full cut of games, accessories and services. And the 'Beyond Console' group which should theoretically outnumber the console group but are much less valuable per head.

They clearly have decided to pivot to GaaS in line with their 'Beyond Console' push, which is strategically sound albeit nearly a decade late. I'm expecting the marquee titles like GOW to remain console-focused for now, as they function less to profit outright but more to get people into the lucrative PS platform.

So in the coming years, it will be likely that every one of their 10 GaaS projects will hit EGS and Steam day one. That's where their port efforts will concentrate on. What is really lacking and concerning though, is the snail pace they are advancing their mobile initiatives. Considering the mobile market dwarfs the PC market, you would think that would hold higher priority. Huge fail there.

Gamepass has been and will continue to be a market disruptor of how people can consume content. And it's relevant to what Sony is doing with multi platform strategy and with their own subscriptions. The CEO speaks about reaching as many players as possible. While releasing 1P games a year late on steam is nice and all, you will need to do a bit
more for all the live service games they are working on. Releasing day and date into Plus Premium and on other platforms is a must.
Nonsense, the key disruption leading to this change happened way back when the PC market (followed by mobile) overtook the console audience with the help of Steam and more importantly, when the all-conquering multiplatform GaaS model proved to be the most lucrative business model in the industry starting with LOL.

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
There are US sports streaming services like ESPN+, DAZN, and Showtime... and although not sports but maybe Disney+ does this as well..

What these sports streaming apps do is, they have fighting events that come included with their monthly service ($7-$20 a month)... some good known fighters are part of these events.

BUT when they have their main star fighters, these services have PPVs which folks have to pay $70+ to watch, even if someone is subscribed to the monthly service.

It seems Sony might be taking a similar approach... maybe their future GaaS games will be on their service included (or F2P, but added bonus from the service). As well as other smaller games day one....be it 1st party or 3rd party.

But for their big hitter exclusives, it will basically be like their PPV... where they release those at full price. ($70)

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
People buy PlayStation hardware because they want to play their top quality exclusives. If said games were available on all other platforms there would be no reason to specifically buy a PlayStation hardware, especially when both PC and Xbox are better in terms of services offered to their userbase (and I say this as someone who has been mainly a PlayStation hardware owner for the majority of my gaming years).
Most people buy console for the console experience and less cause they just want to play exclusives. Just take a look at the top 10-20 monthly and weekly sales charts, aside from Nintendo, MS and Sony charts have a majority of multiplat/3rd party games in there. 3rd party marketing and limited exclusivity deals move a lot of consoles too.

This 'people buy consoles mostly due to the exclusives' hasn't been true for years now, ofcourse aside from Nintendo systems.
Not arguing against that, more and more PlayStation games will come to PC, that's for sure. I'm just saying day and date releases of non-live-service games are unrealistic, since that could actively hurt their ecosystem.
Day 1 will be there because you'll likely see Sony experimenting with shorter scheduled PC Ports after there console counter parts have been released. There's also this thing where its been said that people who play on PC don't play much on console and its the same for console users, the overlap isn't there a lot. So if the data is proven true then why wouldn't Sony eventually release PC Ports day 1 by the end of this gen.?

Last edited:

charlmall

Banned
May 7, 2022
Console gaming will be dead soon. What Netflix did to the video store will happen again with games. You can see it with Xcloud coming to TV's which means you won't even need a console to play gamepass. All the decisions being made by these companies is based around that knowledge, and they're all trying to avoid what happened to Blockbuster. It's why Sony got into VR. It's why Valve created the steam deck.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Console gaming will be dead soon. What Netflix did to the video store will happen again with games. You can see it with Xcloud coming to TV's which means you won't even need a console to play gamepass. All the decisions being made by these companies is based around that knowledge, and they're all trying to avoid what happened to Blockbuster. It's why Sony got into VR. It's why Valve created the steam deck.
it will be alive for another 10-15 years at the very least. Not sure where 'its gonna be dead soon' is coming from. Its still being used by many millions. As long as there is demand, there will be consoles. Streaming won't be replacing them anytime soon.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe in like 20 years. The tech/infrastructure ain't there yet. My coworkers for example have TERRIBLE data caps where they live. They would be assed out along with a ton of other people