• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming will be very different by 2030. I have no doubt about that.

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021
Obvious move and I hope to see fanboys stop intoxicating gaming and move to another community where I can't see them.

Oct 30, 2017
Dreams_cover_art.jpg

Please release this on PC and native PS5 version... it will do wonders to it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't they just go full multiplatform then like Microsoft

Microsoft hasn't really gone "full Multiplatform".

Its not so much just the software, its software ecosystems without hardware being a barrier. Thats probably the future these companies envision and why they are going all in on services and things like streaming.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think it makes so much sense to keep everything exclusive these days. PS5 and Xbox are always going to sell out regardless of exclusive games.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Know who the real winner is in all this multiplatform talk? Not Microsoft or Sony but valve

Steam is the single service that will get all of their games on 1 service

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dorks with an incessant need to be validated in their choice of electronic toys won't like hearing this.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for someone to smash their PlayStation 🤣
Glad to hear, it was always obvious this is the way to go.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they just go full multiplatform then like Microsoft

Microsoft puts their own games on Xbox consoles and PC. If that's the definition of "full multiplatform", then Sony is already doing that.

Microsoft isn't, however, putting their games on Playstation. And Sony certainly won't be putting their games on Xbox.

I think "multiplatform" in the context of this discussion is really just synonymous for "PC".

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft puts their own games on Xbox consoles and PC. If that's the definition of "full multiplatform", then Sony is already doing that.

Microsoft isn't, however, putting their games on Playstation. And Sony certainly won't be putting their games on Xbox.

I think "multiplatform" in the context of this discussion is really just synonymous for "PC".
I'm saying microsoft releases all of they games day 1 now on steam, Sony doesn't release their games on steam day 1 or on pc day 1 in general

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, that should be obvious. I REALLY hope folks here aren't taking this as meaning TLOU Remastered is gonna be on Switch.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has no correlation to them doing a more multiplatform strategy, and frankly even their strategy does not even closely mirror what gamepass is Aiming for other than literally just being some sub service. The whole industry has been re-evaluating things and its not due to some pressure from gamepass.
Subscriptions have been apart of the industry for generations, Gamepass is a slight evolution of the concept but it's certainly not reshaping the industry.
It absolutely has a ton to do with multiplatform strategy.

Going multiplatform is a reflection of a less hardware focused ecosystem. It reflects the shift towards removing the $500 hardware hurdle as much as possible and to make your content as available as possible, on as many devices as possible, to as many consumers as possible, with little-to-no barrier of entry.

Like, that's the whole idea behind Game Pass. All 1st party Xbox games are, quite literally, multiplatform. Whether it's on Xbox, PC, or through xCloud streaming from a phone, tablet, or PC/laptop. Or, in the near future, from a TV/streaming puck. Microsoft had the foresight of seeing that sticking with the hardware focused model was shortsighted and planned to move "multiplatform", behind only a subscription service, to reach as many consumers as possible, years ago with Game Pass.

You're not looking at the bigger picture if you believe there's no correlation between Game Pass and moving towards a more multiplatform future.

Last edited:

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Well we're waiting.gif

Sony drip feeding titles to PC is kinda frustrating as a PC gamer. Hope they announce whatever's coming next soon and that it releases this year at least. Would love to try Demon's Souls.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Makes even more sense nowadays because AAA gaming costs are skyrocketing each year.

In part. The big 3 aren't growing the market enough to keep revenues growing exponentially. The last 8+ years have been really amazing. So they are under the gun to keep the good times rolling. Hence constantly looking for new services to upsell to us enthusiasts.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm asking this earnestly: Most of Sonys first party bread and butter games don't have significant microtransactions, right? There are things like GT sport which do, but they're by far a minority of the first party output. And I don't quite follow as to why anyone would give sony a cut of any sort of revenue if it's bought on some other non-playstation platform?

OK but... this would be cataclysmic for Sony as a developer, would it not? 86% of software sold on sony platforms (woo license fees) last year was third party, https://www.tweaktown.com/news/86142/playstation-stats-third-party-game-sales-dwarf-first/index.html
And a presumably similar amount of the microtransaction revenue. (Couldn't see hard numbers quickly on that). It would be extremely difficult for sony if that money were to stop going to them as a platform holder, surely?
The key is the second half of the second sentence that the poster you're quoting. Just having right to sell a game isn't really good enough reason for someone to actually go ahead and buy a console from a consumer perspective. The platform needs to be able to offer more, the problem is is that we're dealing with 45 years worth of history of how this has been handled which is now what we're transitioning away from.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Strange that there's no mention of only selling PC players old PlayStation games to get them to buy PS5s.

Did he not get the memo?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well if Sony and Microsoft do start releasing all their games on pc I will have the benefit of not having to buy their consoles anymore, I would only need a switch and pc

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I think that Apple shows the benefits of having some vertical integration in being able to push your content.

Streaming only platforms allow for flippant consumers who can leave or join a streaming service on a whim. By investing in hardware, there's more commitment from the consumer (in addition to having purchases as opposed to just streaming which further anchors them).

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Obvious move and I hope to see fanboys stop intoxicating gaming and move to another community where I can't see them.
That would be nice but even this thread with one post mentioning Game Pass and just look at some of the responses to it. That post wasn't even a little inflammatory yet people got upset.

Unfortunately, that shit isn't going away anytime soon.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Great to hear, i think it's great strategy
Hopefully it won't be long till they released their game day 1 on PC

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022

And mobile

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
only thing I'm interested in seeing in the future is the time difference between a game launching on a PlayStation platform and on PC and if that is going to shorten over the years

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice... this is good news. Bungie is just the begining I guess.

Going multiplatform is a reflection of a less hardware focused ecosystem. It reflects the shift towards removing the $500 hardware hurdle as much as possible and to make your content as available as possible, on as many devices as possible, to as many consumers as possible, with little-to-no barrier of entry.

Like, that's the whole idea behind Game Pass. All 1st party Xbox games are, quite literally, multiplatform. Whether it's on Xbox, PC, or through xCloud streaming from a phone, tablet, or PC/laptop. Or, in the near future, from a TV/streaming puck. Microsoft had the foresight of seeing that sticking with the hardware focused model was shortsighted and planned to move "multiplatform", behind only a subscription service, to reach as many consumers as possible, years ago with Game Pass.

You're not looking at the bigger picture if you believe there's no correlation between Game Pass and moving towards a more multiplatform future.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
This has no correlation to them doing a more multiplatform strategy, and frankly even their strategy does not even closely mirror what gamepass is Aiming for other than literally just being some sub service. The whole industry has been re-evaluating things and its not due to some pressure from gamepass.
Game Pass isn't as revolutionary as some people think it is, rather it's accelerating the already existing digital distribution revolution that's been going on since the beginning of the 8th generation. Game Pass does provide a great deal of convenience and value to consumers, but it doesn't really shake the industry that much. More people are going to digital distribution rather than physical media.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I dont know what you are smoking but sony is not going away from hardware, where they have full control, and revenue from other parties. All these things are additive to them.

You are conflating two things here and again its not because of gamepass. Sony even has mentioned as such their plans are more to look at holistic live service games and not just dump everything under one sub, which actually would make them more money have per game subs than just having one single sub for everything.

I feel like you are looking literally at what sony tried and failed to do with not only trying to have PS Now Apps on Tvs, Having a the PSTV Puck you are referencing etc. Why would they go right back to a strategy that didnt work for them? Like sony was attempting all those things last gen. I just dont see where you think MS is having all this added wisdom here, when its been done and tried before, and sure MS may have more success from it. BUt clearly sony did not and thats not their goal at all.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
only thing I'm interested in seeing in the future is the time difference between a game launching on a PlayStation platform and on PC and if that is going to shorten over the years

Will depend on a lot. Sony has a balancing act to perform - to be prepared for a competitive flatland depending on how distribution evolves in the coming years, but to also not prematurely kill platform revenues in the interim, or to even artificially promote a situation that the market isn't really headed in (there have been lots of false dawns wrt media changes in the past). Or to manage a graceful transition away from a dependence on platform-related revenues. Very hard to put timelines on this at the moment, I think Sony will play it by ear.

But it is certainly interesting to see Sony more and more vocally highlight their preparedness to insulate the business from potential shifts.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
I think their GAAS game will be day one and for their single player i think 1 year and half for now and by the end of the gen day 1

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what you are smoking but sony is not going away from hardware, where they have full control, and revenue from other parties. All these things are additive to them.
I didn't say Sony was going away from hardware. Nor is Microsoft.

I'm saying that the industry at large is seeing the tremendous benefit that removing that barrier of entry can provide.

Those that want the best experience are of course still going to buy that box that plugs in under your TV. But for everyone else? Why not make it available to as many consumers as possible? Why limit potential sales/customers for no reason?

That's what Game Pass is about, and that's what going more multiplatform is about.

Also, why are you so angry? I promise it's going to be okay.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Game Pass isn't as revolutionary as some people think it is, rather it's accelerating the already existing digital distribution revolution that's been going on since the beginning of the 8th generation. Game Pass does provide a great deal of convenience and value to consumers, but it doesn't really shake the industry that much. More people are going to digital distribution rather than physical media.
This is correct. It does have a place, but not everyone is clamoring for that same exact model. It works for MS for obvious reasons, but its clearly not some revolutionary idea as some are making it out to be.

Sony's strategy vs MS if you even look even remotely deep you can see there are large divergencence in their goals And its frustrating people try to find some heavy parallel or one is leading the other into the same direction when businesses in general dont just go with what the industry does alone and has their own goals based on the size of their company and capabilities. Sony trying to do exactly what MS is doing would kill them. Sonys strategy is a right sized approach for the size of their company as a whole.
I didn't say Sony was going away from hardware. Nor is Microsoft. I'm saying that the industry at large is seeing the tremendous benefit that limiting that barrier of entry can provide. Those that want the best experience are of course still going to buy that box that plugs in under your TV. But for everyone else? Why not make it available to as many consumers as possible? Why limit potential sales/customers for no reason?

That's what Game Pass is about, and that's what going more multiplatform is about.
Honestly you just sound like a walking ad. So im over it lol.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder when they will do day 1 PC releases as standard. Maybe from the games they start making now so a few years time.