• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
As Panitch and Greenstein see it, Sony Pictures was one of the first studios to bring audiences back to the theater in mass during the pandemic. The studio opened "Venom: Let There Be Carnage" in October 2021 to a $90 million opening ($10 million more than the original "Venom" opened to in non-pandemic times) and a $506 million total worldwide (far below the original "Venom" but a strong pandemic success nonetheless). Sony's "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" followed in November with $204.4 million worldwide, and then "Spider-Man: No Way Home" earned $1.9 billion worldwide to become the third highest-grossing film in history, unadjusted for inflation.
"When we first started releasing movies last October, there were really no other big movies," Greenstein said. "Everyone had pushed their big movies to this year, to this summer. We took a big gamble putting 'Venom' in theaters. Then we doubled down with 'Ghostbusters.' Then our biggest bet was when every other tentpole had fled, we tripled down with 'Spider-Man' — our biggest, most important piece of IP."

"When we first started releasing movies last October, there were really no other big movies," Greenstein said. "Everyone had pushed their big movies to this year, to this summer. We took a big gamble putting 'Venom' in theaters. Then we doubled down with 'Ghostbusters.' Then our biggest bet was when every other tentpole had fled, we tripled down with 'Spider-Man' — our biggest, most important piece of IP."

"There's so much press about 'Top Gun' right now. It's like, 'The movie business is back!'" Panitch said. "In a weird way, I would say 'Top Gun' is benefitting from us taking our shot. 'Venom' is the start of that story that allows 'Top Gun' to do the kind of business it did. These things don't happen overnight. It's a seeding."

Thank you venom 🙏🙏🙏
variety.com

Sony Boss Says Studio Deserves Some Credit for ‘Top: Gun Maverick’ Box Office: ‘Venom’ Paved the Way

Sony Pictures bosses say the studio deserves some credit for 'Top Gun: Maverick' succeeding at the box office.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one would have watched Top Gun if their love for cinema hadn't been reignited by Morbius

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, if you think Venom, Ghostbusters, and Spider-Man are in the same category of movie, please get me whatever you are taking.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Top Gun Maverick would have been better if Tom Cruise was constantly having a back and forth with an impulsive uncaring alien creature.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Tom cruise -

tenor.gif

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
whooooa they released spider-man near christmas what a triple-down risky gamble

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know that I only saw Top Gun: Maverick 4 times because every time I tried to watch Morbius it was sold out, so maybe there's something to it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The packed opening day audience I saw Top Gun Maverick with looked absolutely nothing like what I'd expect to see at a showing of Venom.

But this isn't the first, last, or most egregious corporate self-congratulatory bullshit I've seen this year.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
tbf i think every major theatrical release the past two years deserves a pat on the back for everybody involved

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tenet kind of bombed
For a movie released in Summer 2020, before a vaccine for COVID had even been confirmed - I'd say TENET did better than anyone could reasonably expect. $360M global, nearly $60M domestic. It did better than a lot of early 2021 releases, even.

But yeah, those aren't exactly numbers sustainable for a major blockbuster film. WB sent the film out to read the room, and the room said 'thanks, not now'.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I actually had to read that a couple of times to figure out what they were trying to take credit for because it's so stupid, lol.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The Venom movies were only successful because I bought some of his comics in the 90's. So actually I deserve some credit for Top Gun's success too.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
VENOMMMMMMM

www.youtube.com

Eminem - Venom

Listen to Venom (Music From The Motion Picture), out now: http://smarturl.it/EminemVenomhttp://eminem.comhttp://facebook.com/eminemhttp://twitter.com/eminemh...

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Accctuuaallyyyy- we put a movie in theaters during the pandemic before them so like "you're welcome" Top Fucking Gun Fucking Maverick.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"If you think about it, we Morbin'd the way to Top Gun's success."

lake

Oct 27, 2017
The most interesting takeaway here is that the movie's official title is Top: Gun Maverick (the sequel to Top: Gun).

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
can't wait for Sony Pictures to reinvent the movie experience with EL MUERTO