• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
This is a thread about Days Gone and its writing/directing.

Oh my fucking god what a nightmare this game is when it comes to dialogues/storytelling. This game made me skip all cut-scenes (after 7-8 hours of hating every cut-scene and dialogue), IN MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH! And my favorite games have always been story driven games.

This game has a lot of problems, but most of them could be improved in the sequel with a bigger/better/more experienced team as a whole. Like we can see better gunplay, better upgrades, better A.I. But you can't fix these awful and cringey dialogues, these boring characters and these disgusting way of storytelling that even shits on the fun parts of the game, unless you have better - and I mean much, much better - writer/director.

This game is fun to play. It really is. I mean when you fight, when you try to survive, and when you're managing fuel/ammo/material, it's really enjoyable. It's not flawless, but it's pretty damn fun to play. But holy fuck do they interrupt your enjoyment with shitty cut-scenes and dialogues every few minutes. Nero mission? What the fuck were they thinking? I wanna rip my eyes off every time they drop a shitty Nero, hide and seek mission on my face. Tonight they almost made me ride 1KM, just to ask a character "how you doin". And his reply? "What do you think?"

THAT WAS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT! Now I have to go all the way back to my camp for another stupid misson. Yes. I used fast travel. Thank lord I did. But that's not a good excuse for this annoying way of storytelling!

But wait, maybe previous mission was decent at least, you might think, huh? NO. Hell no. I just experienced walking/riding with another boring character for 20 mins and listened to a lot of awful lines. And then what? I killed 5 enemies with their stupid A.I in 20 seconds, and at then end, that stupid, annoying character said "I think we're a good team" or something like that. I wanna punch every character in the face after I'm done with a mission. Even their names/design are generic as fuck.

I'm almost 10 hours into this game, and I can't give a single shit to any character. It's okay to have a bad story/characters, but when you insist on the weakest aspect of your game, when you destroy the fun parts of journey by over-using them, it's not okay Sony Bend. Not anymore. This game could've been much better if it wasn't filled with awful story-related stuff.

Why did I make this thread? I dunno. I just had to spit it out.

Last edited:

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I mean...I havent played this game, but you are complaining about the dialogue and story and you literally skipped all of it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I don't if they NEED to but to each their own.

It took me awhile to get into Days Gone and I understand a lot of the complaints with it. However, the story in my opinion was only bad in the beginning and towards the last act of the game. I think that entire middle section of the game was pretty good both gameplay and story wise.

The beginning section felt like it took forever to get going and the ending section had other reasons as to why I didn't like that portion which I won't spoil. However, I can understand not liking the story in the beginning of the game, the middle not so much.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...I havent played this game, but you are complaining about the dialogue and story and you literally skipped all of it.

He said he played 10 hours and skipped it after 8, so just the last two hours (and you still gets loads of dialogue you can't skip anyway).

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my fucking god what a nightmare this game is when it comes to dialogues/storytelling. This game made me skip all cut-scenes, IN MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH! And my favorite games have always been story driven games.

This game has a lot of problems, but most of them could be improved in the sequel with a bigger/better/more experienced team as a whole. Like we can see better gunplay, better upgrades, better A.I. But you can't fix these awful and cringey dialogues, these boring characters and these disgusting way of storytelling that even shits on the fun parts of the game, unless you have better - and I mean much, much better - writer/director.

This game is fun to play. It really is. I mean when you fight, when you try to survive, and when you're managing fuel/ammo/material, it's really enjoyable. It's not flawless, but it's pretty damn fun to play. But holy fuck do they interrupt your enjoyment with shitty cut-scenes and dialogues every few minutes. Nero mission? What the fuck were they thinking? I wanna rip my eyes off every time they drop a shitty Nero, hide and seek mission on my face. Tonight they almost made me ride 1KM, just to ask a character "how you doin". And his reply? "What do you think?"

THAT WAS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT! Now I have to go all the way back to my camp for another stupid misson. Yes. I used fast travel. Thank lord I did. But that's not a good excuse for this annoying way of storytelling!

But wait, maybe previous mission was decent at least, you might think, huh? NO. Hell no. I just experienced walking/riding with another boring character for 20 mins and listened to a lot of awful lines. And then what? I killed 5 enemies with their stupid A.I in 20 seconds, and at then end, that stupid, annoying character said "I think we're a good team" or something like that. I wanna punch every character in the face after I'm done with a mission. Even their names/design are generic as fuck.

I'm almost 10 hours into this game, and I can't give a single shit to any character. It's okay to have a bad story/characters, but when you insist on the weakest aspect of your game, when you destroy the fun parts of journey by over-using them, it's not okay Sony Bend. Not anymore. This game could've been much better if it wasn't filled with awful story-related stuff.

Why did I make this thread? I dunno. I just had to spit it out.
They were a really small team in the first years of Days Gone's development phase. They have ~130 devs now. It's good.
What they need is their own engine (or use Decima) imo and get rid of those awful slow-walking segments. One or two are okay, but they had too many of them. But overall, it's a really good game :)

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The writing and direction improves a lot as the game goes on. Early game you can see there's so many places where they changed stuff or didn't have things fully plotted out and it creates a number of inconsistencies.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone has made me realize I find it hard to take overly tattoo'ed people seriously. Especially people like Boozer that have face/ head tattoos.

I don't want to feel that way, but it just is some prejudice I have I guess.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno... i thought it was alright (that aspect of it). imo it's just kind of a slog of a game

most games i finish have far worse writing/directing but gameplay/loop will tag me along. here it was the diametric opposite of that, i cared where it all ended up for these characters but eventually it was like naw dog this aint particularly "fun"

Chuck Bass

Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Can't we find something better to do than to completely shit all over writers and their work on a game that's a year old now?

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
I agree that they have to improve the writing, it did not seem terrible to me, but it could be improved. Regarding the missions that make you go to a place to tell you 2 words, I also hated them and I hope they don't happen in a sequel. Beyond that I really enjoyed the game and the story beyond its problems.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The story and writing were pretty interesting though. Deacon, particularly, rambling like a madman whenever he assaults a camp. Sorry it didn't gel with you but you shouldn't say something's bad writing just because it isn't your tastes.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think the game came out four years too late - the concept felt really derivative and uninspired and all of the interviews with John Garvin leading up to the game really reinforced that. It was hislove letter to television that everyone else stopped watching four years ago with nothing new brought to the table.

Oct 27, 2017
You're "only" 10 hours in. This is a long game. The way they did this, nothing about the storytelling and characterizations makes much sense at this point. It's kind of a tough sell this way. Skipping cutscenes will just make this worse because the story isn't as straightforward as it may seem.

But - if you decide to persevere through the next few dozen hours, and go after most everything, I can tell you that everything will come together and make sense. And in a pretty good way, too. I can accept if you don't want to do this, for this game the 8-10 hour mark is the breaking point.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I mean... I'm sure you've been told before that the first ten hours or so is the worst. Then everything improves.

Also, please don't skip cutscenes on your first playthrough. Should be illegal, that.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I'm almost 10 hours into this game, and I can't give a single shit to any character.

Man you have a ways to go, this is a LONG game. Eventually some kind of weird Stockholm syndrome sets in and you find yourself kind of sympathizing with DEEK, and you put down the controller and wonder what you have become.

Honestly the worst parts are those unskippable walking memory parts with his wife, where she weirdly has to walk like three paces ahead of you the whole time. Ugh, worse than Nero missions.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the game has some real good dialogue, especially in third camp. In fact, I'd say writing is probably one the games stronger suits overall. Lots of very natural dialogue at times, which many games find incredibly difficult to nail.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm based off of your OP there, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you'll hate the writing of the character who they eventually, finally, settle on as being the big bad of the story. For all the people saying it'll get better... I disagree.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Can't we find something better to do than to completely shit all over writers and their work on a game that's a year old now?
I didn't know there was an expiration date on criticism.

OP, I also skipped about every cutscene because of the poor start. I just lost all care for both the characters and their stories. BUT the game was good, platted it in the end, excited for a sequel.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a writer for games can be extremely hard. I don't think most people understand how it is. The producers are ultimately responsible I would imagine. Who maybe they wrote a good script but it was change a bunch in edits.

Point is, we don't know anything so folk got crap on people.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Huh? I thought most of the dialogue was very good overall. There is some eh stuff here and there but it's mostly solid.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought the writing and story was good overall. It needs better editing or something though. Sometimes the pacing is weird or sometimes the story seems a little disjointed. But overall it was good.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Creative endeavors of this scale are always enormous collaborative tasks, so singling out 1-2 people for deficiencies in the narrative, even if the entire game is meant to be a narrative, single-person experience, overlooks that writers need 1) time and resources (read: editors, access to the other creative leads) to make an airtight final script and 2) advocacy for their vision at the executive level. The absence of one or both of those things is why the story gets such short shrift in video games. If a story sucks, it's usually more than a few people's fault.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I thought the dialogue was great overall. The story had some weird pacing at certain points, but the dialogue is definetly above average in terms of videogames.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I probably won't finish DG, on account of how damn long it is, but the VA seemed solid. The lead actor sells Deacon, even when the writing doesn't.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
The game was supposed to have dialogue options that changed the story but was scrapped very late. This understandably hurt the story as they had no time to start over on a linear path.

That said I'm about 10 hours in and enjoying it. I'm enjoying the story as much as I did Horizon so far but I have a feeling the ending won't be as good.

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno about that OP. I found the dialogue/story/characters really good. Especially Deacon and his mental state.

The issues I have with the storyline is the pacing and structure. The game felt as if it was getting stretched the more and more. Not that bad but you could tell that the bigger the team got, the more ambitious they got and they kept building on it. Thankfully it ended well enough for it not to be a big issue.

Next game they will have planned it better for sure. They got a formula in place and all they need to do is build on it.

Nov 2, 2018
The writing and direction improves a lot as the game goes on. Early game you can see there's so many places where they changed stuff or didn't have things fully plotted out and it creates a number of inconsistencies.

Please mark them as spoilers if you respond (for the OP) but I would love some examples of these as I always find that interesting in games.

Thinking about it Tuckers camp and to a slightly lesser extend Copeland's camp really goes nowhere

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I thought the dialogue was great overall. The story had some weird pacing at certain points, but the dialogue is definetly above average in terms of videogames.
Specially the side characters suprised me. Didn't expect it but the story and story side quests were not that bad. Overall good game from which i expected way worse.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Please mark them as spoilers if you respond (for the OP) but I would love some examples of these as I always find that interesting in games.

Thinking about it Tuckers camp and to a slightly lesser extend Copeland's camp really goes nowhere
Basically everything from the third camp on is more fleshed out and the characterization is more consistent.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
the story was actually pretty great, especially in the third camp
i enjoyed it more than most open world games in this gen

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
hmm I found the dialoug and writing to be pretty darn good for the game. Generally felt pretty unique and real compared to most games. Some of the scripting was a bit off here and there. Like you would get in an argument with a character, then a few mins later, you would get a generic call on the radio from them and everything was fine between the two of you. Almost like some missions were out of order or something. But overall I felt the chemestry, urgency, and relationships of people pretty well. Some was a bit over the top here and there, like the general or whoever speches. I hope Bend doesnt feel pressured to make their writing like everyone elses. Felt fresh and a bit riskier to me. Also, you skipped most of it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna straight up disagree with the OP. Are there issues with the narrative aspects of Days Gone? Yeah it overstays its welcome, the start is weak and certain aspects are not fleshed or delved into enough but I actually really liked a lot the characters, their interactions, dialogue and the overall narrative arc.. I'll even go to say that there are several moments that are actually incredibly well done the reunion between Sara and Deacon is not at all what you usually get out of these types of strories and their relationship after that point is also really well done. Its a game that's full of lots of great little moments that is hampered by the fact a lot of things changed in development like the fact it was a game full of narrative choices that were eventually taken out and you can even see when you were supposed to probably have some kind of moral or decisive choice to make.

Hell the entire "ride me like a bike line" is actually something that is worked into the game incredibly naturally but of course people would harp on it out of context. Its something incredibly natural between the characters and becomes a cute little inside joke and bonding moment. I know its not going to be for everyone but I found a lot of the writing to be rather understated and even rather nuanced in how a lot of characters had elements going on that weren't shouted at the player The leader of the 4th camp possibly being a gay man in love with the doctor who gets murdered and losing his mind was just one example of a lot of great little details that were eluded to but not told directly. I even felt a ton of relief when it was revealed Boozer hadn't killed himself in a blaze of glory, not something I'd do for a poorly written character I cared little for.

All in all I say it has some problems but I consider these growing pains. Bend is a lot more established now, has a proper foundation and it seems some big plans for the follow up game. I'm honestly as excited for the crazy hordes we can see on the PS5 and what they can do with the open world as much as I'm hyped to see what happens to Deacon, Sara and the rest.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is not amazing but it is also not worth creating a thread just to bash on it, in the context of videogame stories.

It is perfectly fine. It is also improved a lot by the great voice acting from most characters.

I still didnt finish it because I am studying a lot right now, but so far it is entertaning at least.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I actually think the game has some real good dialogue, especially in third camp. In fact, I'd say writing is probably one the games stronger suits overall. Lots of very natural dialogue at times, which many games find incredibly difficult to nail.
Agreed completely.

I actually loved the characters and story for DG, and after that secret ending I can't wait for the sequel.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Days gone is the way it is now only because they designed the game to have decision making and brenching story but ditch the idea for the final game. They had to salvage whatever they had mo cap and push the game out. I feel like a lot of ppl don't know about this this is why the cut scene to gameplay transition felt very disjointed at time. If you watch an old video gameplay preview you can see a side mission where you have to decide to kill or spare a character at the end of the mission which may leads to a different out cone for the story.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
This games was a mistake. I even forgot about it and it's not old at all.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
We know you're talking about Days Gone but it's still really weird to me that no where in your own post or title did you even mention the name Days Gone, OP

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
They didn't have a budget with the first game. I'm sure they will with the second. Wait for the next one