• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the better strategy going forward?

• I prefer Sony's strategy of maintaining discrete console generations.

Votes: 2,426 64.9%
  • I prefer Microsoft's strategy of eliminating discrete console generations.

Votes: 1,311 35.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Then play on PC. There are people who don't like PC and people who don't like console. They are giving you options.

LOLLL you seem like you are getting worked up....but just to close this discussion that's exactly what i said i'm going to do.

I have no reason to buy Xbox hardware if I can buy the same games on PC and use a Playstation/Xbox Controller to give a similar/better visual experience

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
LOLLL you seem like you are getting worked up....but just to close this discussion that's exactly what i said i'm going to do.

I have no reason to buy Xbox hardware if I can buy the same games on PC and use a Playstation/Xbox Controller to give a similar/better visual experience
Ok. Not sure how I got worked up but carry on.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps5's haptics are a step above and never before seen in the industry. You'll like what they have to show in July ;)
Jesus everyone is "an insider". Sure, I bet it'll turn out like this
www.engadget.com

Nintendo's HD Rumble will be the best unused Switch feature of 2017

If I had to describe Nintendo in just three words, I'd steal the shared city slogan of Austin, Santa Cruz and Portland: "Keep Nintendo Weird." The Japanese game giant delights in its unique character and has made a habit of defying convention. Nintendo's gimmicks are always fascinating, but they...
But sure keep winking

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Sony will use the features in most of their games. The problem is that nintendo have no motivation to push hd rumble when they are doing fine with what they have out there. Sony knew the next generation wouldn't be a massive leap so implemented a super fast ssd and a controller with genuinely next gen features. Games like gt7 will feel next gen. We may get higher reviews for ps5 versions due to how well they integrate haptics into the gameplay imo.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
1st time i hear about a July showcase. Is there a date?
August is the gamescom stuff right?
They announced it in May

In July, we will dedicate time to focus on the incredible games coming from Xbox Game Studios. A number of our studio teams are looking forward to sharing first looks at new gameplay, insights from development teams being optimized for Xbox Series X, and brand-new game announcements. We cannot wait to share this initial look at what some of those teams are working on.

No exact date yet.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yes and in August. Theres a few features and a dozen games Sony haven't even shown off yet. Microsoft will likely show off a few surprises next month and then sony will introduce some more of their own.

Interesting, no one's leaked a Sony showcase for July yet. Jeff Grubb has only mentioned an August event that's likely a State of Play. Sony themselves have said more to come but nothing about July yet

Would you consent to mod verification for this info?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony will use the features in most of their games. The problem is that nintendo have no motivation to push hd rumble when they are doing fine with what they have out there. Sony knew the next generation wouldn't be a massive leap so implemented a super fast ssd and a controller with genuinely next gen features. Games like gt7 will feel next gen. We may get higher reviews for ps5 versions due to how well they integrate haptics into the gameplay imo.

Lmao, nah. They put HD rumble in their controller, but like gyro they'll be treating it like an afterthought when it actually comes to the games they make, except a handful near launch, maybe.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Gyro has been used quite a lot, as has the touch panel and speaker. I do think haptics will be pushed by sony and most third parties will implement them like they have the speaker and touch panel. Gyro does need to be standard in all fps games imo.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
In light of new information, returning to this thread and the poll results are interesting. Not only here but in the wider outlets as well

There were certainly a lot of "opinion pieces" around microsofts approach.

Xbox Series XS cross gen approach is robbing players of next gen thrills

Xbox's Matt Booty ends the next-gen exclusive as we know it

The Future of Xbox is.....Cross Gen??

Will Series X be held back by next gen plans

PlayStation Boss Not Interested in Making PS4 Versions of PS5 Games

The above are just a tiny snippet of the "noise" that was generated off of the MS announcement. From countless youtube videos, articles, tweets and threads on here the list could be endless. Contrast that to today and what we know and its certainly eye opening.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of how good a strategy it is, both are perfect pieces for the overall strategy of their respective owners. Microsoft is selling Game Pass subs, Sony is selling individual games.

I think the PS5 is more exciting at the start of the gen as a result, but now that we're a few months in, I find myself appreciating things like the continuity in Xbox's ecosystem. Both strategies have merits, and both are working for them, so I don't particularly want one of the two strategies to disappear, even though I definitely believe subscriptions will become a bit of a ubiquitous model for first parties in the future.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Sony and Nintendo strategy. Nintendo is definetly the more aggressive one.
Innovative solutions needs some risk.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
It was shady and basically a lie by Sony but it won the PR war which always helps.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
In light of new information, returning to this thread and the poll results are interesting. Not only here but in the wider outlets as well

The above are just a tiny snippet of the "noise" that was generated off of the MS announcement. From countless youtube videos, articles, tweets and threads on here the list could be endless. Contrast that to today and what we know and its certainly eye opening.

Boy, that last one lol

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

In the sense that both platforms are basically doing the same thing which is... a bit of both? And that Microsoft have essentially failed to release any new games on their new hardware while Sony have released a lot?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Has Microsoft even announced any cross-gen games outside of Halo Infinite?

This thread is awesome.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020

It was certainly a deliberate, disingenuous communication strategy and it worked. Gaming media picked up what Playstation was signalling, and it spread out through out the entire discourse on Twitter, here, Reddit, etc.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
What a bump. It's hilarious how much shade was thrown at MS, yet now we have Sony doing the exact same thing with their software.

It shows how people take these things way too seriously and how these higher ups don't give a fuck about you or your interests — it's all BS and about money, especially now that we can see the lies being exposed

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I like generations cause you know where your games work and devs don't have to make sacrifices for a significantly less powerful machine to run it. They are obviously get a sub-optimal experience so is the extra work worth it?

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Sony's has more excitement, but as a customer without unlimited funds, I find Xbox to be way more affordable and I feel like I get more for my money, even before Game Pass.

It's sort of like buying titles at launch vs six weeks later for $20 less. With the PS5 it feels like everything is at a premium price solely to be in on the conversation of the new hotness. The $70 games and the extra 5-10 bucks per controller and the desire for a charging kit vs just using my rechargeables, all my old accessories work, let alone the games via BC.

So less sexy but more friendly. I have both, and I've been Xbox-centric forever so obvious bias, so take with a grain of salt.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
What a bump. It's hilarious how much shade was thrown at MS, yet now we have Sony doing the exact same thing with their software.

It shows how people take these things way too seriously and how these higher ups don't give a fuck about you or your interests — it's all BS and about money

You will also see a big difference in how people react, take a look around the internet apart from VGC most articles are basically hand waving it away saying it makes sense.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-gen doesn't necessarily stifle the "next gen thrill" in all cases. Xbox is still missing the innovative leap of what is present in the DualSense (and the same story will be of VR), so the cross-gen is compounded by not just during the first couple of years, but for the whole generation unless they decide to bring out an updated controller which offers a more next-gen feel.

That controller is at least 50% of what makes Returnal such a distinctly next-gen experience for me.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ultimately, it was just a meaningless statement they used to throw shade at microsoft, and at the time it worked (as evident by the posts in this thread).

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring; Metacommentary
I love threads like this because you get to see how posters change their spin over time.

Oct 27, 2017
It was shady and basically a lie by Sony but it won the PR war which always helps.
Is it? They've shipped 5 next gen only games, have 4 more coming this year or next thru third party deals.

I feel like Sony has more next gen games or the same amount as current gen games, which is more than any other game maker out there so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, nah. They put HD rumble in their controller, but like gyro they'll be treating it like an afterthought when it actually comes to the games they make, except a handful near launch, maybe.
What kind of bullshit is this? Gyro is only now gaining widespread acceptance in console games because Nintendo's been pushing it in their games since the Wii's motion+

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-gen doesn't necessarily stifle the "next gen thrill" in all cases. Xbox is still missing the innovative leap of what is present in the DualSense (and the same story will be of VR), so the cross-gen is compounded by not just during the first couple of years, but for the whole generation unless they decide to bring out an updated controller which offers a more next-gen feel.

That controller is at least 50% of what makes Returnal such a distinctly next-gen experience for me.

That controller can work on ps4 games. True ps5 games aren't working on a ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.