• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Its not like everyone lives in USA dude.Would you care about riots in Venezuela, Columbia? What about riots in Hong Kong, why ps4 event wasnt postponed back then?

I know you're banned but imagining prioritizing video games above human lives is fucking astoundingly disgusting.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
The actual action of rescheduling the event is the right call undoubtedly. I think klik is just questioning the intent/sincerity behind it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they delayed it, but it makes sense. Hopefully the entire game industry makes material moves to contribute to the situation in a positive and constructive manner.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would lie if I would say I wasn't disappointed that the event was delayed , but there are some terrible things going on right now, so I think it's really needed to get all the attention to BlackLivesMatter demonstrations. I hope these events happening right now change atleast something for the better.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donations are great to receive for all those affected but I won't pretend for a second that Sony did this for anything but the positive publicity after their complicity in the ethnic cleansing of Uighurs in China.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good on the intern who had the guts to respond to the "All Lives Matter" responses on the corporate account
If you think its some intern running the main social media account for one of the worlds biggest countries, you are sorely mistaken.

This idea that its just some tea boy who posts out tweets shows no understanding of how important social media accounts are to big companies.

If they are posting things like this, it's because they have signed off on it and upper management have no problem with them doing so.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Donations are great to receive for all those affected but I won't pretend for a second that Sony did this for anything but the positive publicity after their complicity in the ethnic cleansing of Uighurs in China.

That's what upsets me the most. Fuck, I'd love to believe that a corporation suddenly now finds itself being progressive and shit, but they are clearly not and it's clear they are doing this because they don't have the space to make a splash right now. If that wasn't like that, they would've outright cancelled and set a future date.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Glad they're walking the walk, especially since they have a pretty tonedeaf history when it comes to marketing and racism.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Insensitive Trolling
I know you're banned but imagining prioritizing video games above human lives is fucking astoundingly disgusting.
Then new games should never be announced or worked on and Sony should use all their $ for charity work, if we take your statement literally.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

Doubt that was his intent. This is probably not related, but as someone living in a 3rd world country, it sometimes feels bad when you see the amount of attention received when things happen in first world countries, yet people won't give events in a third world country a second thought. Maybe this is where he is coming from.

More power to Sony, and the fact that there was a memorial on the same day was lost on some people (including me). It's obviously a very important moment in US history, and hopefully -- this is the start of actual reform, and the decline of racism worldwide.

Oct 30, 2017
Postponing the event was the absolute right call. If people can't see why they needed to do this, while the US is home to a massive market and their own good number of big dev teams, I don't know what to say. Sony would have to be completely tone deaf after delivering a message of support and matching donations but then push for their event the same day as the memorial service.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
So would you pay an extra $100 for a Playstation or any other hardware that was produced in the US with workers earning more than minimum wage? For all the people who say that companies exploit China etc, I bet the vast majority of you wouldn't pay more to buy a phone, console, TV or whatever technology if it was built in the US for a lot more money.

I can't speak for others but I personally would. I'm from the U.K. and I mostly try to buy local organic food at a premium as well as U.K. made clothes. I also try to purchase goods from inside the EU if not available in the U.K. For electronics that is obviously pretty much impossible. I would happily pay £100 extra for an U.K./EU made XSX or PS5. I do take your point that many would not though.

The annoying thing is that it is rarely an option. Some countries have insisted products be manufactured in the country to have it sold there, such as the Indian iPhone I recall. But the U.K. government is hostile to anything that would interfere with big business.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come you all, in the end of the day, it's a videogame conference. It's a great call they postponed it. It will eventually happen, ps5 will release but right now our brothers and sisters needs to be heard, they need the spotlight right now. They'll just move the conference, it will still happen, it's such a small insignificant thing compared to what is happening right now.

About the whataboutism, I understand since I come from a third world country, ignored mainly at global stage but this isn't about that. Are you serious jealous/salty about this? People are being oppressed, there's no contest in this, they are people like us.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Then new games should never be announced or worked on and Sony should use all their $ for charity work, if we take your statement literally.

sure you could do that

or you could understand context like a normal intelligent human being ;)

EDIT: oh look you're now banned big surprise lmao

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Mods are not deleting threads, but they've been looking at another thread for about an hour soon. So I understand that people think it's strange.

Jan 20, 2019
Imagine beign company, spent money on ads and still delay the event. Mad respect, that is how you know a company cares at least a little bit.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This may sound ignorant or naive, but I don't really care why Sony is doing this. Maybe, because they want to be part of the campaign? Maybe because they just want good PR?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter why Sony did this, because this actually helps the anti racism campaign and can help to change something in the world.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
blahhhh stop giving these whackos the benefit of the doubt

it is sincerely part of the problem to defend that kinda shit

I didn't see his initial post. I just saw his follow posts and thought that's where the discussion started. Based on those it seemed to me like he was saying Sony doesn't sincerely care about moral causes (based on past inaction) and is just reacting here based on the potential good PR. But that's not what he was saying evidently so I retract my giving him the benefit of the doubt.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mods are not deleting threads, but they've been looking at another thread for about an hour soon. So I understand that people think it's strange.
It seems there was a thread yesterday called "Sony issues statement on #BlackLivesMatter" that has disappeared, but I think it was probably merged into the bigger Sony thread or something.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This may sound ignorant or naive, but I don't really care why Sony is doing this. Maybe, because they want to be part of the campaign? Maybe because they just want good PR?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter why Sony did this, because this actually helps the anti racism campaign.
Even the most cynical poster would agree there's benefit to what Sony is doing.. Whatever the real motive might be (I personally think they are being sincer)

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
This shows the protests are working. As bummed as I to hear about the news, it's absolutely the right move.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The right thing to do at this time.

The frustration at not seeing new games is nothing compared to the frustration of minorities protesting against decades of systemic racial discrimination and killings from authorities.

The time to protest is now. The time to celebrate is later.

May 10, 2018
I know it's too late, but Sony should've made Spiderman black for their game. I

Random thought, but Insomniac should've made Spiderman black. That would have been cool. Considering all the Sony protagonists, I cant think of anyone more generic than Peter Parker for their game
Hopefully Miles is playable in the sequel with his powers and after you beat the story you can just free roam as either Peter or Miles.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I was really looking forward to the event, but this is the right call.

There's a lot more important shit going on right now in the US and the world that needs our full attention.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I know it's too late, but Sony should've made Spiderman black for their game. I

Random thought, but Insomniac should've made Spiderman black. That would have been cool. Considering all the Sony protagonists, I cant think of anyone more generic than Peter Parker for their game
You have Miles already in the game.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
Mad respect for Sony. There's no doubt it was the right call from a moral stance, but considering the impact it might have for a large corporation I'm surprised they did it.