• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people fall for this, Sony doesn't give a fuck, they just know they can use this for their benefit.
I find these posts really weird.

I'm not a black person, but I'm part of a minority that sees increased support every damn June. I know a bunch of companies are in it for the Pink Money. Many of them do not regularly employ practices to help the more vulnerable people of my community.

Do I turn my back on their support? Hell no. Can they do better? Of course. But guess what, being openly supportive of my community helps. Normalize acceptance and respect, because that is seen as being "woke" nowadays. And most importantly, the world isn't divided between extremist bigots and progressive people. There are people in the middle, with no strong feelings one way or the other that can be swayed in either direction. At the end of the day, their public support indirectly helps in the big picture.

So unless any brand actively works against my rights or the rights of other people behind the scenes, I'm honestly not going to get up in arms when they decide to publicly show support. Specially if the support goes beyond just a tweet.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I think it is a welcome move from Sony and MS to tweet support, particularly Sony for replying to tweets from twats.

However, I remain unimpressed with Sony and MS as when the economic cost is great they do not speak up. The oppression of Muslims and dissidents in China being the prime example.

I don't think every company has to speak out about every problem with the world, but these tech companies all do business in China and benefit from it. So I don't think it is out of bounds to be cynical about their support for human rights.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think every company has to speak out about every problem with the world, but these tech companies all do business in China and benefit from it. So I don't think it is out of bounds to be cynical about their support for human rights.
Agree, and this is true for every country. You can say your country repect human right, or are progressive or any other word. The moment you accept importing stuff from countries that does not, it is over.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I don't get cynical people about these messages. As if the company isn't made of a diverse group of human beings that actually at the end of the day have human emotions and support POC during these times.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get cynical people about these messages. As if the company isn't made of a diverse group of human beings that actually at the end of the day have human emotions and support POC during these times.

Yeah its not even just the gaming side, Into the Spider-Verse had a trio of director's, one of them black who also has the note of being the first black man to have an animated movie when Best Animated Film at the Oscars. That and the music side of Sony is full of black artists and employees.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Here's how I see it. Sony went beyond the normal "this is bad" post. They're actually helping a bit by retweeting posts, donating and replying back and not backing down to trolls.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's so ironic that we have so many cynics and armchair folk here who simply can't (GASP) take a kind act at face value.

"Corporations" consist of people. If you, the cynics, want to invest yourself into this science fiction style view of the world you can. I work in the public everyday and run into kind hearted, normal hard working people daily.

When you come here you read these comments and I ask you this, is that how you behave and should and say f this and f that? Maybe among your inner circle but here, you're with people from all walks of life who are older and wiser than you may perceive because the same level of contrition you exhibit with tasteless strong language could be used for a more positive force.

There are some real struggles and issues and if it takes something terrible to unite us then we must be able to process this for the good. I want change to happen like most rational people.

I lost 2 of my closest family members in the same day 4 years ago. I chose to take something to grow from amidst terrible loss of those who did not pass on their own term, just like George Floyd.

Do yourself a favor and consume a healthy dose of good things and lean on that so you can process when to bark and when to bite more tactfully.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's how I see it. Sony went beyond the normal "this is bad" post. They're actually helping a bit by retweeting posts, donating and replying back and not backing down to trolls.

That's how I see it too. And it is very likely going to cost them financially so hats off to them for standing up for a good cause.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Really proud of Sony's tweets here. I wish more companies were this unrestrained in their criticism of racism and bigotry.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
My mask is slipping? Lol...

You realize I'm black right?

Look, the protests? I have been clear, and I still stand by what I was saying... I find it embarrassing. Have you seen what's happening out there? the clothing? There is this one with a Nike store being raided and this black lady creating and laughing while running out the store with her loot... Is that really how we want this "movement" to be remembered? is that what we black people are about? Taking the death of someone and turn it into a loot fest? Like all of the people doing those riots couldn't give a shit about why the riots are even happening. They are just using it as an opportunity to loot.
No I don´t see what´s going on out there, you´re the only one with any insight! /s

If all someone takes away from this is a Nike Store being looted or a lady running down the street with clothing then that person is the one ignorant of history. There are always going to be people who take advantage of a situation like this but that does not mean it defines the overall movement.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): hostility
All of you "all or nothing" people are bunch of dumb fucks. Got so lost in your own moronic narrative that you are losing sight of what is important at this very moment.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's so ironic that we have so many cynics and armchair folk here who simply can't (GASP) take a kind act at face value.

"Corporations" consist of people. If you, the cynics, want to invest yourself into this science fiction style view of the world you can. I work in the public everyday and run into kind hearted, normal hard working people daily.

When you come here you read these comments and I ask you this, is that how you behave and should and say f this and f that? Maybe among your inner circle but here, you're with people from all walks of life who are older and wiser than you may perceive because the same level of contrition you exhibit with tasteless strong language could be used for a more positive force.

There are some real struggles and issues and if it takes something terrible to unite us then we must be able to process this for the good. I want change to happen like most rational people.

I lost 2 of my closest family members in the same day 4 years ago. I chose to take something to grow from amidst terrible loss of those who did not pass on their own term, just like George Floyd.

Do yourself a favor and consume a healthy dose of good things and lean on that so you can process when to bark and when to bite more tactfully.
This is a really bad take. These corporations readily finance the erosion of human rights and outright slave labor in order to keep their costs down, including Sony. It is not fanaticism to be skeptical of corporate goodwill gestures, corporations are not your friends and they are in the capitalist world almost all complicit in vile, vile things. I say this even while I agree that what Sony is doing here, in this instance, is good.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is doing good. You can say whatever benefits you think it has for them, but they're making this more aware with their platform and matching donations as it says.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This is a really bad take. These corporations readily finance the erosion of human rights and outright slave labor in order to keep their costs down, including Sony. It is not fanaticism to be skeptical of corporate goodwill gestures, corporations are not your friends and they are in the capitalist world almost all complicit in vile, vile things. I say this even while I agree that what Sony is doing here, in this instance, is good.
I'm not really disagree with you but you will have more of my respect if you can handle it with dignity and a bit more tactful.

I do agree that the world isn't perfect and we as human beings got to look in the mirror and say are we doing the best we can at all times and as somebody who's not perfect, I can tell you is that society tried to convey to you what you read in my posts oh, I also had my moments of weakness but try to keep those at a minimum.

we are all here to enjoy a hobby or in some cases to discuss world events in off-topic. I can be as serious as anybody else and take part in some adult discussion but want to be humorous and have a good time because this isn't the place where my heart rate needs to go up and that's why I come to a forum like this

That is all coming from just experience and maturity on how and when to say and act on things. and there is ways we can do the right thing without causing hurt and being violent with actions and words.

So, I do go back and echo my sentiments in choosing to take a kind act at the face value. because while Sony has done and said some stupid things, as a corporation it consists of people who have done far more good but the cynic or outsider would only choose to recognize an off-the-cuff statement and executive made.

that's just the same kind of way we have to manage our lives and if you want me to respect you or anybody else then how you conduct yourself will win me over versus maybe having a bump on the road which I'm almost 100% sure you have had as well as every single person on here who is far from perfect. But that's okay.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
What is the point of being needlessly cynical here? Even if I grant you your position that what Sony and other corporations are doing right now is purely self-interested, so what? The right people and organizations are still getting to crucial help they need and want. Are BLM organizations suppose to bite the hands that are giving them cricual support because there may be another motive involved?

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Fair play to whoever is running that account, they're even responding to "all lives matter" comments

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Support is meaningless if they don't donate!"

Sony: *Donates*

"...

Yeah but they don't really care though."

Sony is doing good. You can say whatever benefits you think it has for them, but they're making this more aware with their platform and matching donations as it says.

Nah, better nobody benefits in any way than everyone (potentially) benefits in some way... for... some reason? IDK,

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is going well beyond the usual corporate thoughts and prayers. It is a specifically not-neutral statement, so good for them. I don't trust companies to have pure intentions most of the time, but this seems like an example of someone using the prominence that comes with brand recognition for good.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Call me jaded but I rather have a corporation be a speaker to promote a good cause because it gives them good PR than, you know, being silent.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Cynicism and mistrust of massive corporations is a good thing but if you are annoyed at this you probably don't agree with the stance they are taking. Yeah there is probably a lawyer somewhere assuring them that by doing so the numbers do this this and this and here is how it looks for sales of this this and this but solidarity is hard to come by and if you feel listened to and noticed, even by a massive corporation then that can mean something to someone as they continue the struggle for equality and justice. There is only 1 thing you can battle intolerance with and that is intolerance. So they are tweeting it out and matching donations - good - Intolerance of Intolerance is what is required. Fuck racists. Fuck murder of human beings because of the colour of their skin. All lives can never matter if Black Lives Don't Matter. Hateful Intolerance must be fought against and I wish the Protestors all the strength in the world to fight.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I find these posts really weird.

I'm not a black person, but I'm part of a minority that sees increased support every damn June. I know a bunch of companies are in it for the Pink Money. Many of them do not regularly employ practices to help the more vulnerable people of my community.

Do I turn my back on their support? Hell no. Can they do better? Of course. But guess what, being openly supportive of my community helps. Normalize acceptance and respect, because that is seen as being "woke" nowadays. And most importantly, the world isn't divided between extremist bigots and progressive people. There are people in the middle, with no strong feelings one way or the other that can be swayed in either direction. At the end of the day, their public support indirectly helps in the big picture.

So unless any brand actively works against my rights or the rights of other people behind the scenes, I'm honestly not going to get up in arms when they decide to publicly show support. Specially if the support goes beyond just a tweet.
Sony said themselves why people are mad at Sony for this:

"Being silent about the violence and racism black people experience is being complicit"

These wealthy corporate executives and rich PR teams were all silent for years until it looked like good publicity to make what amounts to an ad campaign. And as Sony here states themselves, they were complicit in the violence. People are mad that Sony (and all these other corporations primarily run by wealthy elite who are completely disconnected from what life is like for black people) are trying to turn a movement about black lives and rights into ad campaigns, pretending as if they weren't complicit in the violence and racism black people experience.

Good on the intern who had the guts to respond to the "All Lives Matter" responses on the corporate account. Not good on the corporate elites running Sony that fuel the problem in the first place and will all go back to being complicit next week.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
They should put their foot where their mouth is and have some black characters in their first party games.

All of their first party titles have white protagonists - God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone.

This also applies to Microsoft.
Isn't Kratos black? Isn't he
Covered in the ashes of his family

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a welcome move from Sony and MS to tweet support, particularly Sony for replying to tweets from twats.

However, I remain unimpressed with Sony and MS as when the economic cost is great they do not speak up. The oppression of Muslims and dissidents in China being the prime example.

Every company will put money before humans. That's not cynical, that's just the reality of how it has always been. Companies are not friends.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
A flashback in a previous God of War showed that he had dark skin yes, he's just covered in ashes.
Back on topic though, good on Sony for matching donations, hopefully they do even more

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017

starhawk-hd-wallpaper-82-1362711022-1280x720.jpg

Starhawk is the only game that came to mind. Shame it was a flop. It wasn't the Warhawk sequel I wanted, but the game was a lot of fun to play.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Sony said themselves why people are mad at Sony for this:

"Being silent about the violence and racism black people experience is being complicit"

These wealthy corporate executives and rich PR teams were all silent for years until it looked like good publicity to make what amounts to an ad campaign. And as Sony here states themselves, they were complicit in the violence. People are mad that Sony (and all these other corporations primarily run by wealthy elite who are completely disconnected from what life is like for black people) are trying to turn a movement about black lives and rights into ad campaigns, pretending as if they weren't complicit in the violence and racism black people experience.

Good on the intern who had the guts to respond to the "All Lives Matter" responses on the corporate account. Not good on the corporate elites running Sony that fuel the problem in the first place and will all go back to being complicit next week.
I get that and that's not what I was debating. I'm not saying they're saints, I'm saying their support is not unproductive just because they might have ulterior motives. But people act as if it were better if they just stayed silent because of their history of being silent, which is what I don't get.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
I appreciate the gesture and donations, and making the alt-right squirm is delicious, but they sat on their hands when this happened multiple times previously and only now they're doing this at the most convenient time for them to do so.
lol nothing will satisfy you guys

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
The fact that they said that while only 1 out of the big 3 is dead silent (which is predictable for them considering the racism in past games.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Inflammatory thread derail; insensitive and dismissive commentary on a sensitive issue.
I hope PS5 event won't get delayed.

USA isn't a center of the world. Most of people don't really care what is going on there.. (although i think protest are well deserved). A lot of that is rotten in USA

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I hope PS5 event won't get delayed.

USA isn't a center of the world. Most of people don't really care what is going on there.. (although i think protest are well deserved). A lot of that is rotten in USA

white supremacy is global. You know about all those black and brown people dying in the Mediterranean because of Europe's racism? Or the invasion and occupation of Middle Eastern countries by western countries? And the continued neo-colonisation of Africa?

The machines we play video games on are literally a product of international exploitation by western countries of cheap, non-white labor.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they are matching donations. Good.
All lives don't matter until black lives matter!

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
white supremacy is global. You know about all those black and brown people dying in the Mediterranean because of Europe's racism? Or the invasion and occupation of Middle Eastern countries by western countries? And the continued neo-colonisation of Africa?

The machines we play video games on are literally a product of international exploitation by western countries of cheap, non-white labor.
yes, but never heard of any gaming event being delayed because of those things

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019

Microsoft also did benefit by providing support for the internment camps in the US border

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
They should put their foot where their mouth is and have some black characters in their first party games.

All of their first party titles have white protagonists - God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone.

This also applies to Microsoft.
Infamous Second Son had a Native American protagonist, although he was played by a white actor.

Same with Uncharted Lost Legacy; Chloe was revealed to be half Indian but was already being played by a white actress.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol nothing will satisfy you guys

I'll be satisfied when in six months all of these companies who posted a twitter statement with white text on black backgrounds come out and say that they've made changes to their hiring processes to hire more Black talent.

When they constantly and vigilantly support Black businesses, charities, etc.

When they use their POWER. their PLATFORM. their RESOURCES. To dismantle the system of racism that they constantly benefit from.

Obviously I can't touch on everything that they need to do, but the gist is - I'll be satisfied when they actually commit and complete their promises to support the Black community with actual TANGIBLE action.

Why should we celebrate corporations doing the bare minimum? I should be grateful, pack up and go home since they said, for the first time ever as I can recall, that they support the Black community?

They picked the lowest hanging fruit and your response to people demanding more is that we are essentially ungrateful? How is demanding more from corporations who have the ability to do more a problem.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
the world isn't divided between extremist bigots and progressive people. There are people in the middle, with no strong feelings one way or the other that can be swayed in either direction. At the end of the day, their public support indirectly helps in the big picture.

This is so important.

Thank you for articulating it that way.

I would add that many of the people in the 'middle' really actually want to be more progressive (read: humanitarian), they just need a push.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
The Sony CM has repeatedly said they're looking into ways to help more and will share when people asked about donations etc. Hoping they actually follow up on that but I'm glad to see the PlayStation account take the same stance.

The main Xbox account should follow. They have a big reach possibly bigger than the general corporate accounts. Nintendo I'm sure won't say anything which is sad but not really surprising.

edit : it's been 15 minutes and it already surpassed the Sony account in terms of engagement

Last edited:

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Sony is actually donating now. So I don't really know what more some of you guys want them to do.
They're doing a hell of a lot more than a lot of other companies are. So that's more than a start