• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if employee donation matching is a thing they always do? Or only in this special situation. Either way very cool.

Donation matching is great because not only is it contributing financially but inspiring others to get involved.

When I used to work at Sony Canada several years ago (not PlayStation) I recall they used to have a program to match employee donations to various causes. So this doesn't seem to be a new thing.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At this point in this thread, Sony is "putting its money where it's mouth is" re: matching contributions to direct-action groups, directly boosting topical info, and also engaging directly to counter white-supremacist talking points in replies to the communication. If someone jumps into the convo criticizing them with no awareness of that, at best, they're being a low-effort reactionary.

Agreed. Being contrarian about this, just for the sake of being contrarian, is pointless and ironically doesn't add or help anything or anyone.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Kinda sad that this is threadworthy, but whatever - I'll take it. Good on Sony. Curious to know what they're referring to when they say they're making moves to actually help.

The cynic in me is thinking "nothing" and simply a way to preemptively deflect criticism, banking on people eventually forgetting they every promised anything. We'll see, but megacorporations aren't exactly known for being eager to upset the status quo, and the incredibly vague "we're doing something, at some point in time" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Edit: OK, so they're donation matching, that's pretty cool. It's a way to help without ruffling anyone's feathers, but as a corporation there's not much more they can do, sadly.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The cynic in me is thinking "nothing" and simply a way to preemptively deflect criticism, banking on people eventually forgetting they every promised anything. We'll see, but megacorporations aren't exactly known for being eager to upset the status quo, and the incredibly vague "we're doing something, at some point in time" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

They're matching donations from their employees, which is already something that has an immediate and long term positive impact.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
As for the whole topic of delaying the PS5 event, honestly to what end? This isn't a new problem and isn't going to go away overnight. Delay the event a week or two and the problem is still going to be there. It makes far more sense to continue the event as planned and put a message of solidarity and how people can help and donate at the beginning like they did at E3 2016. Untold millions around the world will be tuning into that event and it's a great way to get the message out to more people.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Even if this is calculated PR talk it's still pleasantly surprising. And you just know 4chan types are going to get triggered into another dimension.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you want regarding their messages/pr regarding PS5, Sony has been great in tackling this issue and the COVID. On the latter they're one of the first companies to actively postponed their conferences, setup a fund to help indies being affected by it, setup their employees with pay and benefits, and hand out free games and stuff.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation Store has been around for a more than a decade and they have yet to hire a Black manager. Actions speak louder than words but this is a good start. At least companies aren't just silent.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Well the gamers are now going to protest the PS5.
DyaHfgGX4AA8Prt.jpg

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Sony stepping up big time. Well, Sony and their studios and employees. That's actually kind of incredible to witness.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Separate the regular protesters from the ones committing crimes. They are not the same.

Even if the protestors are the ones committing crimes, this is happening because it's been a build up. This isn't the first or even close to case where something like this has happened. It's the first I know of where at least one officer is being charged (or maybe there were a few more but they all eventually walked free). People have tried more peaceful options and nothing happened. Even worse sometimes were told to stop being disrespectful (Kaepernick comes to mind). I admit it's sad some innocent people are being victims of crime but this is happening because nothing is being done. Look at the cause (police not being held accountable and murdering people and no accountability) and fix that, not the symptom. Fix the cause, everyone but the people causing the actual problem are happy. And fuck the people causing the problem.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, you quoted me but I don't see anything pertaining to my post?

Forgot to say "I agree". Sorry

I feel good about Sony spreading awareness, but at the same time I can't help but feel this is all about them playing social activism cards for profit, considering some situations these big technology corporations are tied to. It's an ugly world we live in, that's for sure.

Black lives should have mattered since a long time ago, not only when it's cool to state it on Twitter.

But I guess we should be grateful the masses are still part of their market game, otherwise we wouldn't be hearing these supporting words for people of color.

I can understand the cynicism, but just like the #metoo movement there is usually a time where getting onboard and lending your voice is going to have the most impact.

I can't fault Sony or any corporation (which are run by real life humans with feelings btw) for correctly identifying that time as now.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
Even if the protestors are the ones committing crimes, this is happening because it's been a build up. This isn't the first or even close to case where something like this has happened. It's the first I know of where at least one officer is being charged (or maybe there were a few more but they all eventually walked free). People have tried more peaceful options and nothing happened. Even worse sometimes were told to stop being disrespectful (Kaepernick comes to mind). I admit it's sad some innocent people are being victims of crime but this is happening because nothing is being done. Look at the cause (police not being held accountable and murdering people and no accountability) and fix that, not the symptom. Fix the cause, everyone but the people causing the actual problem are happy. And fuck the people causing the problem.
The officer that killed Laquan McDonald in 2014. Was convicted in 2018.

was only sentenced to 3 fucking years in prison. People who've sold weed in states where it's now legal have been sentenced to longer terms

this is why it's systemic and it hurts. And it's why people riot because Thelma audience either ignores protests or just yell on social media. Nothing has changed

Oct 28, 2017
For whatever reason, whether it's because of the nature of his murder and how it was capture on camera, or the resulting lack of action against the officers, or because it was just one straw too many, George Floyd finally became the one murdered black man where the public narrative towards his death significantly shifted, and is seen as far less divisive as past deaths, like Trayvon Martin or Mike Brown. Corporations and spineless politicians who in the past stayed mostly silent can finally speak out because the risk far outweighs the reward for them, and that's all they care about. Hence all the "brands" being active about this on Twitter.

It's the nature of the murder combined with the police response, which was to stand in solidarity with the murderer rather than quickly try and throw the guy under the bus.

For us in Australia, it's clear that there are double standards.

When that Minneapolis black police officer shot Justine Damond (white woman) dead through her car window, he got thrown straight under the bus by the union super quickly

When George Floyd (black man) gets choked to death - possibly the most personal way for anyone to get murdered - on film for like 8 minutes by a white police officer with his colleagues watching, they stand in front of his house to protect him.

If the Minneapolis police unions threw this guy under the bus, they probably could have salvaged their situation and have the racists hand wave the issue away. The fact they murdered this man by choking him for like 8 minutes straight and have the gall to stand in front of his house to protect him tells you everything about what they think about black people.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Drive-By on Representation
Pure bullshit from Sony as they had no problem in casting a white woman for the role of Nadine in Uncharted 4 and Lost legacy. How can they claim support Black lives if you aren't willing to cast them roles?

here we go. non South Africans getting into things only South Africans can really comment about

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
That racist bastard tucked away in his basement isn´t going to change his mind no matter what, just like the fuckface in the White House. That´s not what this is about, just come out and say what you mean instead of beating around the bush because your mask is slipping.
My mask is slipping? Lol...

You realize I'm black right?

Look, the protests? I have been clear, and I still stand by what I was saying... I find it embarrassing. Have you seen what's happening out there? the clothing? There is this one with a Nike store being raided and this black lady creating and laughing while running out the store with her loot... Is that really how we want this "movement" to be remembered? is that what we black people are about? Taking the death of someone and turn it into a loot fest? Like all of the people doing those riots couldn't give a shit about why the riots are even happening. They are just using it as an opportunity to loot.

Coming from a former communist country where people died back in '89 for their freedom and rights, that's bullshit.

There's no change if you're not willing to challenge them every day until they give.

Just two years ago we were tear gassed and beaten up by riot police in the streets when protesting the corruption in the govt. They went down. And guess what. Violence was always started during those protests by undercover agents.
This is how they control the narrative.

Not trying to equate what happened then to the BLM protests or minimise them in any way, they're way more important for the whole world than that.

At a certain point you can't just sit tight, do nothing, and tell yourself that this is the way it is. You should always challenge the status quo.
Never said anything about sitting tight and doing nothing....

caphisuada

Oct 27, 2017

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
This is good shit..hell..this is the best shit.

Keep it coming Sony. Love the bitchslapping they r doing on twitter, in response to some ignorant fuckwits too. Love it

Oct 27, 2017
In reply to a comment from the other thread:

There would be no harm in delaying those events in a show of solidarity. But there is blatant egocentrism in suggesting that in this one instance the world should stop in solidarity simply because it's Americans who are suffering, while no one bothered to raise that flag in many, many other similar situations elsewhere.

There were widespread protests against racism here in Brazil when Marielle was killed in 2018. I didn't expect the world to stop in solidarity, and I sure as hell didn't try to imply people who wanted to keep on trucking elsewhere while that was going on didn't actually care about racism, like a few in this thread are doing.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/in...ents-be-postponed.216849/page-2#post-35547171

We really need to stop with the 'us and them' mentality. It's not because they're Americans! Rightly or wrongly this is what's in the news and people feel extremely strongly about it. Especially because these brutal killings keep occurring without anything getting done. I'm sorry a light isn't being shone on the shitty things the world over and in Brazil. But if in your situation you didn't want the world to stand with you solidarity, then fair enough! But if you did... well, how about being the change you want to see in the world? How about standing up for BLM and also using it to showcase the racism perpetrated by your officials? That's what's happening in the UK.

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
Sony talking about racism is pure bullshit when Keith Le Goy is still employed and let's not forget Amy Pascal and her comment on Obama or Tommy Motolla with Michael Jackson

and Sony was promoting white supremacism

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
Even if this is calculated PR talk it's still pleasantly surprising. And you just know 4chan types are going to get triggered into another dimension.

I give them an excuse, because unlike other companies, they did not tie it to a product or use it to sell something directly.

This is why David Guetta dedicating his DJ set, remixing "I have a dream" into some bullshit EDM and saying "Shout out to his (Floyd) family" is so cringey. Or the CEO of Quantic Dream tweeting about this, but then saying "this is what DETROIT human is all about." No.