• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Good to see them back track again with this.... the launch wording was never going to fly with anyone.

If anything good came from this, is that future games will at least have a paid upgrade path.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That's nice, but almost feels like a panicked reaction. I think they should have said that they will, in fact, offer a $10 upgrade path for PS4 owners. That would keep things consistent, because now the conversation has shifted to why a $70 PS5 version exists.

What reason is there (besides wanting a PS5 box on your shelf if you buy physical) to buy the more expensive one?

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm....

Spend $60 and get the game to play on both PS4 and PS5.

OR

Spend $70 and get the game to play only on PS5.

Hard choice!

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
TLoU Remake (if true) and Factions could be among them, though I don't see them charging $60/$70 for each of them, that'd be a bit too much.

They tried it with the Remaster of TLOU back in the day, charging $60. People complained and they backtracked and offered for $50. It would not surprise me one bit to see Sony slapping a $70 price tag on the Remake.

Factions or whatever it ends up being called should be a budget price for sure. It would be strange to see them price that at $70.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_pxou8coc761wtavz1o1_500.gifv

Ok not really, but the more we push to Sony to drop their 70 dollar baseline, the better.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what they were thinking in the first place. Who is over there calling these shots and then immediately backpedaling? Get them out of the room.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Man, Xbox just looks better and better every time someone from PS puts out a statement. Why is it not free? I understand the costs of making games but DAMN. If Xbox can put their new releases day and date on GamePass AND offer free upgrades for those going into next gen then why can PS not AT LEAST offer free next gen upgrades? Pure GREED Sony. I have a PS5 and Series X and love them both but Microsoft is KILLING it in the pro consumer front while PS continues to look greedy.

Lol these companies are not your friend, guy. MS will also try to pull a fast one if they can get away with it, just like they tried with the XBL price increase.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad Sony back tracked and put out a prompt response. Nice job to everyone that made their unhappiness heard. Sony still has work to do on some of their policies, but this is a good move.

I'm in for a PS4 copy, on my PS5

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall them announcing GOW was cross-gen before this post. A little bit of a bummer but that's awesome for everyone on PS4!

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Now do the same for the rest of your crossgen games.

There's no excuse in the age of Smart Delivery.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I mean...the 10$/€ price you pay for the upgrade is because of the price gap from each gen. They don't want people that have a PS5 buying PS4 versions of GT7 and God of War to be able to upgrade like that.

They really want to increase that price by 10$/€ and it's going to be happening with those crossgen titles.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Glad that is sorted and good to see them making it clear for future titles, should have been like that from the beginning, without all the bullshit but at least they have sorted it fast.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Now people really need to stop saying that complaining doesn't work. it clearly does.
Yeah I mentioned in the previous thread that there was a good chance Sony would answer to the complaints, basically because they had already shown recently with the stores closure announcement that they were willing to backtrack on some things.

Nov 20, 2019
That's nice, but almost feels like a panicked reaction. I think they should have said that they will, in fact, offer a $10 upgrade path for PS4 owners. That would keep things consistent, because now the conversation has shifted to why a $70 PS5 version exists.

What reason is there (besides wanting a PS5 box on your shelf if you buy physical) to buy the more expensive one?
All they have to do is release exclusive content for PS5 owners.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see that making your voices heard still works. People who defended Sony and were swearing up and down that they are doing the right thing, should start thanking the ones who complained for saving them $10/$20.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody switch your pre-orders over to the PS4. No sense buying the PS5 version when it's still $10 more.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
This is the way(but put physical discs in your collectors editions moving forward) PS4 version is the smart play resale value will be better and the option of having both ps4 and 5 versions. Matter of fact they should just allow both PS4 and 5 versions with all of their cross gen versions ie why would you own just the ps5 version of strive if the 4 version is available to support arcade sticks dual shock 4's etc that are laying around instead of having to fork out even more for everything and lack of dual senses etc + lack of resale install base if you ever feel the need to offload it lol

Last edited:
May 31, 2021
Sony did the right thing here, having no upgrade path was some BS.

Now we can focus on the upcoming showcase without this disaster taking up anymore of the conversation 🙌🏽

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Good, at least it's something. The next gen price increase is still stupid as hell but at least Sony isn't obviously screwing players over with this.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Also MLB The Show players really need to step it up with the backlash. They got walked all over with the forced digital deluxe for both versions.

SoEl

May 3, 2020
Yeah, I don't think people realize just how much money Sony makes by simply having Fortnite available on their store. I wouldn't be that shocked if the 30% cut they get from Fortnite microtransactions could cover all their AAA game development.

Seriously, like they were having a record breaking profits year after year recently before the increase. so i don't understand how the price increase can be justified by some people.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Wonder where all the people defending their initial announcement went.

A $10 USD upgrade fee still isn't all that great, should be free. The price increase on PS5 games is a move i'll never understand why people feel the need to defend in general; $125 AUD is not a reasonable RRP for the regular edition of a single video game, it's ridiculous.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mentioned in the previous thread that there was a good chance Sony would answer to the complaints, basically because they had already shown recently with the stores closure announcement that they were willing to backtrack on some things.

And I'm really glad that they are doing it. They deserve no props for it, but I'm glad they are listening at least lol

Jabroni Chief

Oct 28, 2017
Fresno CA
Good on Sony to listen all of the dissenters out there as the reasoning behind the upgrade path was confusing to say the least. Good to see that any future games will have an exact policy (the $10 upgrade path from PS4 to PS5) that way everyone can be on the same page. No one person or entity can be perfect; recognizing mistakes and learning from them is great :)

Nov 28, 2017
Something which should have been free from the start, as the industry standard is.

Future first party being a $10 upgrade isn't acceptable either. Really hope the consumers online and the press give them enough heat to reverse that decision as well.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Still ridiculous they are charging $10 more for uprezzed ps4 games on ps5. Won't buy GoW or GT at $70.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking up works. Lol at people who were trying to downplay the communities complaints like nothing ever happens.