• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Is it just me or is this absurdly cheap for what this camera offers?

That's just how it goes. This camera seemingly has sensor specs not far off from many low-to-mid range digital medium format cameras from just the past couple years. Actually, many of the specs are significantly better. I'm talking purely image quality.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
How's the dynamic range?

They claim 15 stops.

What? None of your sentences make any sense...

I don't know if you've used any decent digital camera made, say, this decade. Digital medium format cameras tend to lag very much in terms of auto focus performance, fps, etc. when compared to pro full-frame sensor bodies. Those pro medium format cameras will likely end up lacking features that many photographers have come to expect (say, for shooting a wedding). But medium format isn't really meant for shooting the same things. They're usually used for studio work. The fact that the resolution and dynamic range of this new Sony are at or surpass many of the pro medium format cameras made very recently is remarkable, especially given its cost.

That's what I mean by saying, "that's just how it goes". It's technology marching onward. Smaller sensors have so much R&D behind them and they're nipping at the heels of larger pro sensors that come in bodies/digital backs that cost maybe 10x more.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
15 fucking stops. That's around 32000. Absolutely insane. And it's sensor native DR. Multi exposure DR will be even better.

Man, I'm so tempted to get this, but I have zero use cases for getting a 61 MP full frame camera.

They claim 15 stops.

I don't know if you've used any decent digital camera made, say, this decade. Digital medium format cameras tend to lag very much in terms of auto focus performance, fps, etc. Those cameras will likely end up lacking features that many photographers have come to expect. But they're not really meant for shooting the same things. They're usually used for studio work. The fact that the resolution and dynamic range of this new Sony are at or surpass many of the pro medium format cameras made very recently is remarkable, especially given its cost.

That's what I mean by saying, "that's just how it goes". It's technology marching onward. Smaller sensors have so much R&D behind them and they're nipping at the heels of larger pro sensors that come in bodies/digital backs that cost maybe 10x more.

From what I've read, this has similar AF capabilities as compared to the A9? Or is it just the Eye-AF that was brought over?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Man, I'm so tempted to get this, but I have zero use cases for getting a 61 MP full frame camera.

From what I've read, this has similar AF capabilities as compared to the A9? Or is it just the Eye-AF that was brought over?

I prefer to only own one camera if possible, and the higher res for me would be great for birding. My 5D MK IV (30MP) is a fine camera for just about everything, but getting better bird crops would be awesome!
Not sure about the A9. I will say, though, that mirrorless has now reached that stage where I basically have zero worries about switching from a DSLR.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Oh? Any solid details yet? Loving my MK2 7D but...

Not a ton of info, but they're supposed to launch a 32MP APS-C body. That sensor at FF scale blows up pretty big. They've done it once before - one of the 7D cameras got its new crop sensor, then later on they released the 5DS @ 50MP. They did file patent(s) for their own IBIS as well, so....Canon is making moves. Will it be a better end result than this camera? Who knows.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sony is destroying everyone in the DSLR market. This thing is a monster.

im still waiting on a new APS-C

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
How does this compare with the recent medium format cameras Fuji has being releasing? I guess this is really aiming for that market since the GFX range seem to be doing pretty well?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
wat

Not a ton of info, but they're supposed to launch a 32MP APS-C body. That sensor at FF scale blows up pretty big. They've done it once before - one of the 7D cameras got its new crop sensor, then later on they released the 5DS @ 50MP. They did file patent(s) for their own IBIS as well, so....Canon is making moves. Will it be a better end result than this camera? Who knows.
I'd guess no, depending on what you consider better. For their R mount, I do expect a pro level FF camera coming within the next year, which should match this resolution wise. But Canon is very much behind on AF, however, their lens eco-system has a lot of potential. IMO Canon make the best lenses.

Sony is destroying everyone in the DSLR market. This thing is a monster.

im still waiting on a new APS-C
Not a DSLR though...

How does this compare with the recent medium format cameras Fuji has being releasing? I guess this is really aiming for that market since the GFX range seem to be doing pretty well?
Fuji's entry level MF cameras are 50 MP. They recently released the GFX100, which is 102 megapixels, and is amazingly well thought out. It's not as fast for obvious reasons, but is probably the first MF camera to be flexible enough to do landscapes, portraits as well as street/travel photography.
For reference:

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Fuji's entry level MF cameras are 50 MP. They recently released the GFX100, which is 102 megapixels, and is amazingly well thought out. It's not as fast for obvious reasons, but is probably the first MF camera to be flexible enough to do landscapes, portraits as well as street/travel photography.
For reference:

Wow! That's a sweet-looking camera. I just need 10 grand plus lens cost. *starts GoFundMe*

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
For reference:
My Uncle just got one of these things. Absolute beast.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Wow! That's a sweet-looking camera. I just need 10 grand plus lens cost. *starts GoFundMe*
Surprisingly, for what they offer, the Fuji GF mount lense are very affordable IMO. As is the GFX100 body. I mean you are talking about 10K versus 35 - 60 K range for Hasselblads or Phase1. Either way I mean you get incredible primes within the 1K to 2K range.

My Uncle just got one of these things. Absolute beast.
Yeah it's not my style, but I can appreciate it.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
For reference:

I guess the GFX 100 is in another class entirely, but I guess this Sony might put some pressure on the price of the older 50R and S.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's a sexy camera. Man, it's been fun watching the camera technology progress over the last 20 years.
The megapixel wars got to an insane level 10~15 years ago, then fell back down to a more technologically developed level, and are now back to those initially insane levels now that the technology has been refined enough to produce desirable results.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Surprisingly, for what they offer, the Fuji GF mount lense are very affordable IMO. As is the GFX100 body. I mean you are talking about 10K versus 35 - 60 K range for Hasselblads or Phase1. Either way I mean you get incredible primes within the 1K to 2K range.

Oh yeah, if you're an actual professional using it as a means of income, it makes a lot of sense.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Does this have 10bit video?

And did I miss something about an a7r actually going for $99 on Amazon?

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
This new a7R IV is about $500-1000 more than Canon and Nikon's current full-frame offerings (DSLR and mirrorless), but maybe Sony's pricing is also based on the effect of tariffs on new electronics.

Brace yourself for more sticker shock...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how I just got an a6000 and they announce this shit

The a6000 is a relatively old camera. It's like the bare-minimum for mirrorless performance these days.

That being said, the a6000 is a pretty decent camera and I still use it for most of my shots. Do I wish it had better AF and sensor performance? Of course, but better gear doesn't necessarily lead to better photos.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wanna get rid of my 5D3 it's a bit long in the tooth. Don't wanna get rid of my canon glass though. And Sony camera controls never seem intuitive to me... but I love the last couple years of Sony image quality. Decisions, decisions ...

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Not a ton of info, but they're supposed to launch a 32MP APS-C body. That sensor at FF scale blows up pretty big. They've done it once before - one of the 7D cameras got its new crop sensor, then later on they released the 5DS @ 50MP. They did file patent(s) for their own IBIS as well, so....Canon is making moves.

Interesting. Thanks.
Will it be a better end result than this camera? Who knows.

It is always worth waiting to see what the competition has to offer. As nice as this Sony sounds I can't see me buying into it, as I already have a lot of Canon glass.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Wanna get rid of my 5D3 it's a bit long in the tooth. Don't wanna get rid of my canon glass though. And Sony camera controls never seem intuitive to me... but I love the last couple years of Sony image quality. Decisions, decisions ...

A lot of Canon glass can be adapted to Sony with very few issues. Even the MC-11 is known to work for a lot of Canon products despite not being officially supported.