• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by yukihirasouma

Tokyo, Japan - Sony Corporation ("Sony") today announced the establishment of Sony AI. This new organization, with offices globally in Japan, Europe, and the United States, will advance fundamental research and development of AI (artificial intelligence).

Sony's Purpose is to "Fill the world with emotion, through the power of creativity and technology." Recognizing that AI will play a vital role in the fulfillment of this Purpose, Sony AI is being established with the mission to "unleash human imagination and creativity with AI.

Sony AI will combine world class fundamental research and development with Sony's unique technical assets, especially in Imaging & Sensing Solutions, Robotics and Entertainment (Games, Music and Movies), driving transformation across all existing business domains and contributing to the creation of new business domains. In addition, one of Sony AI's long-term goals is to contribute to the resolution of shared global issues extending beyond Sony's business domains.

Sony AI will drive the research and development of AI in both physical and virtual space through multiple world-class flagship projects as well as other explorative research projects, including AI ethics.

Initially, Sony AI will launch three flagship projects in the areas of gaming, imaging & sensing, and gastronomy. The adoption of new AI technologies developed through these flagship projects will be critical to further enhancing the value of Sony's gaming and sensor businesses in coming years. This research will be pursued in close collaboration with the relevant Sony Group business units

In order to drive these projects and achieve truly innovative research, Sony is eager to work with top global AI talent with an aim to attract world-class AI researchers and engineers. Sony believes that extraordinary innovation requires diversity of both talent and approaches, and this will be reflected in the composition and operation of Sony AI. Recognizing the power and influence of AI technologies, Sony AI will contribute to society through the development of AI that is fair, transparent, and accountable.

Sony AI will be headed globally by Hiroaki Kitano (President and CEO, Sony Computer Science Laboratories, Inc.; Corporate Executive, Sony Corporation), and the American site will be headed by Peter Stone.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if the PlayStation guys find out about these initiatives and think 'Oh for fuck sake, here we go again...something else we are being dragged into'.

3D
New formats
AI
Cell
Vue
etc

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Sony will use AI for their PS Now streaming to reduce lag by predicting your next button press before you press it :P

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it's a gimmick, having a push for better AI in games is A-OK FOR ME. It should be one interesting focus with the newer CPUs.

Sadly, this will most likely result in a Cortana-like thing for Sony products.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
*Terminator 2 theme is playing in your head
giphy.gif

May 25, 2019
London
Not a terrible area for Sony to get into because there is "synergy" with its successful business areas - namely, gaming and image sensors.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not really AI, but machine learning. Somehow calling it AI is sexier.
Yeah, people confuse AI with machine learning all the time.
What Carmac is doing now is actual AI and seeing him working on it makes me fear because he could be successful (or as a famous German tech blogger said "if he is working on that, we are already dead").

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really AI, but machine learning. Somehow calling it AI is sexier.
It's moreso deep learning nowadays, which is mostly a semantic distinction (and it's all still technically "AI"), but I'd be surprised if a company like Sony is only just now getting a dedicated team into ML at all.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The writer of this article seemed to be in touch with a sony spokesperson for her article. About gaming she writes:

Sony AI identified three "flagship" projects for its debut, in "gaming, imaging & sensing, and gastronomy," according to the company. The goal is to leverage AI technologies for adding value to Sony's existing gaming and hardware (imaging and sensors).

AI and video games are already a match made in heaven. For example, it's no stretch to imagine AI helping developers test games before release, playing pre-release software at accelerated rates to discover bugs.

Further, machine learning could offer effective tools for in-game analytics, allowing developers to study player behaviors, explore "pathfinding" in game-playing or even automate game designs.

Not sure if this was the indication Sony gave her, but on the 'game' side perhaps the research will focus a lot on game development and analysis.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
That's a whole lot of words to not tell us what they plan on doing.

A giant text of nothing. The amount of redundancy while reading that made my roll my eyes down a Daytona Speedway.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
So I take it all those who boycotted the One over the internet will do the same for the PS5?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm assuming it's something they've been working on for a while but they're only just making it in a full-fledged organisation within the company.

Makes sense, machine learning is becoming a huge thing and will only become bigger. Hell I've started seeing more and more systems doing self-repair if there's something wrong on the client or server side, often before the user is aware there's an issue. As we move more and more to cloud based technologies these kinds of systems are going to be vital to ensure that they run well.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Threads in 2024

"Anyone else notice how sighing or yawning IRL changes enemy behavior in the Death Stranding 2?"

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming it's something they've been working on for a while but they're only just making it in a full-fledged organisation within the company.

Yes, they've had a bunch of projects going on under Computer Science Lab unit, and this new unit is a spin off. The best known stuff might be the work on AI music composition, the flow machines project. The idea of machine learning applied to creative productivity is getting more attention in game dev now too - it would be interesting to see Sony branching into that.

Oct 28, 2017
It cant be bargained with. It cant be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity. Or remorse. Or fear. And it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you buy a PS5.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, people confuse AI with machine learning all the time.
What Carmac is doing now is actual AI and seeing him working on it makes me fear because he could be successful (or as a famous German tech blogger said "if he is working on that, we are already dead").
Machine/deep learning are subfields of AI.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play tactical shooters like Siege with competent AI teammates that can actually listen to me talk and follow orders... and not follow orders they think are bad.

...and then the AI learns to be a toxic jerk just yelling memes instead of playing seriously

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
In the year 2020 the world rejoiced when Sony released the first self-aware game console. Little did people know that an AI designed to learn the players preferences and download games accordingly was planning for world domination in secret.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Is there something going on in the world of AI? Between Carmack and this I feel like we're on the verge of some new advancement.

Deep learning happened, that confluence of lots of machine power and new algorithms.

I think it's a bit overhyped in terms of where things will end up, but it has sparked a new rush of research and commercial interest.