• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So overall, how are these headphones? I have the WH-1000XM2 and I kinda want something that's as good as that and in a small factor to not mess my hair.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So overall, how are these headphones? I have the WH-1000XM2 and I kinda want something that's as good as that and in a small factor to not mess my hair.

Not as good as those but remarkable given the size. New firmware makes them easier to recommend but TEST for fit. Mine are too heavy and fall out of my ears regardless of bud selection. I bought third party wings and they work better now.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017

Its amazing. I sold my XM3s after a couple of days having these. Convenient and no more sweaty ears/cheeks with a little bit of loss in sound quality. I miss some eq preset like concert hall though.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The third party foam tips help a lot, but sound quality is tip top on them. Not as good as over ear NC but damn close in a tiny size. As long as you have a good seal. Which is why the tips are important.
I do wanna try the wings Stinkles talks about but they wouldn't fit in charging case afaik.

May 30, 2018
Just sounds uncomfortable but nice. Mildly curious about those now actually.

i have them. they're not uncomfortable at all - you forget they're in your ears after a bit. not sure they're worth the price though, tbh. i got them in a price error on prime day and still kind of feel like i overpaid. i'd only recommend them if you really need some kind of noise to sleep and a room white noise unit doesn't cut it.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
i have them. they're not uncomfortable at all - you forget they're in your ears after a bit. not sure they're worth the price though, tbh. i got them in a price error on prime day and still kind of feel like i overpaid. i'd only recommend them if you really need some kind of noise to sleep and a room white noise unit doesn't cut it.
So yeah I will be fine without. I sleep light but not light enough I need em. Thanks for feedback.

May 30, 2018
So yeah I will be fine without. I sleep light but not light enough I need em. Thanks for feedback.

happy to help! i think their perfect use case is for someone whose partner doesn't want to have to hear a white noise machine, essentially. or for sleeping on a plane maybe - but they don't have active noise cancelling, they just try to drown out sound. they're very up front when you first use them about not being able to actively cancel out sound around you.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The third party foam tips help a lot, but sound quality is tip top on them. Not as good as over ear NC but damn close in a tiny size. As long as you have a good seal. Which is why the tips are important.
I do wanna try the wings Stinkles talks about but they wouldn't fit in charging case afaik.

They work great but yes you have to remove to charge. I'm seeing if I can live with that. So far so good

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
So I've now gone through three pairs of WF-1000X (respectively: accidentally put it through the washer, stolen by my cat and never seen again, refurbished set with charging issues) and I'm thinking about upgrading.

Has anyone taken these through a serious workout? I'm a bit spooked about the lack of water protection.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a pair from Bestbuy.

+Excellent sound as expected from Sony headphones and earphones. The sound is far FAR batter than the Jabra Elite Active 65t.
+fits in my ear perfectly, no irritation whatsoever.
+The app lets you change sound setting and it seems robust, I'm using default settings though
+Very sleek design. They are very small and compact. The case is sturdy as well and magnetic.

-The only negative I can see is there is no sound control on the actual device.
-$300 with the protection plan. But I wont need earphones for years to come. These are a keeper.

So I've now gone through three pairs of WF-1000X (respectively: accidentally put it through the washer, stolen by my cat and never seen again, refurbished set with charging issues) and I'm thinking about upgrading.

Has anyone taken these through a serious workout? I'm a bit spooked about the lack of water protection.
The protection plan from Bestbuy is $60 for these but you can return them for any reason. Water damage no problem. Its worth that price since earphone and headphones will always break and BB will return them or exchange them.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up: iOS 13 has borked Headphones Connect, I've been having tons of issues getting my WH-100XM3s to connect. May want to hold off updating until Sony patches the app to work better with the new bluetooth implementation.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My main issues have been related to the transition between devices. For example, on iOS 12, when using my Genki on Switch and my phone, here was the old procedure:

Start using headphones on phone
Disable BT in control center
Plug in Genki, it automatically connects with the headphones once the Switch exits sleep mode
Finish playing, remove Genki. Headphones automatically disconnect
Enable BT in control center
Open Headphones Connect, hit the connect button.

Now, on iOS 13, Headphones Connect is continually reporting the headphones as OFF. The only way I was able to bypass that issue was going into control center and selecting the headphones in the new BT devices panel. But that took a while, a few headphone restarts, app restarts, etc.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God what an absolute shitshow.

First off yes I set the new Bluetooth Headphones specific permission that comes with the headphones app ( ios13.)

Pairing with ios 13 on ipad pro - even ignoring the absurd fact that they can't tell you have the headphones app installed or that it's vertical only, it took almost an hour of repeated attempts to pair.

Software and Bluetooth on these things aren't even remotely baked. Wonder how many returns they get from baffled users.

"Fix" this time was to simply keep trying and gently moving them farther and closer.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I just upgraded from an iPhone 8+ to an 11 Pro and pairing on that took all of 9 seconds. 7 of those seconds were waiting for the buds to go to pairing mode. Went off without a hitch.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up: iOS 13 has borked Headphones Connect, I've been having tons of issues getting my WH-100XM3s to connect. May want to hold off updating until Sony patches the app to work better with the new bluetooth implementation.

Yeah, not only was Connect acting weird, it was giving me totally different pairing instructions - and I had to manually enter pairing instead of just disconnecting from charger. That was frustrating. They took two full minutes to populate the (portrait only!) list of devices IN the Connect app. Wat.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
$129 with bose NC? Sounds great!
If their sound quality is good then we have a winner

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know how to force these to go into bluetooth pairing mode? Specifically trying to get my Mac to see it and i've disconnected my phone from it but it's still not being seen

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
How do these compare to the Powerbeats Pro? Similar price point and those have the added benefits of the Airpod technology

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There was a new app update for these (well their range, including the WH1000XM3, which I have) that sped up 'Connecting' when opening the app, it was great.
It's now broken again since iOS 13 has come out and taking a while to connect.

also, mine didn't auto turn-off today after 5 minutes. Might be related.

ahh looks like others have reported it already! Not sure about the auto-off though, if it's related.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How do you set the permissions in the app? Is it in general iPhone settings or the app itself?

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
So finally got a pair of these. I'm a bit of an audiophile and my daily use in-ears are the Shure 846 with the bluetooth BT2 cable.

Coming from that to the sound quality of the WF1000MX3 is a huge step down but the features are great. What I love the most is the wireless and noise cancelling features and how good it looks.

What i don't like is the volume - i actually have to turn the volume up quite a bit to listen well. Oh well. Going to keep using these for a few more days and decide if I should keep them or not.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My Galaxy Buds are hands-down the best ear buds I've ever owned. Not sure why anyone would get this over those unless these cost significantly less.
The Galaxy Buds don't have active noise cancellation.
These are different headphones, but a very good demonstration of noise isolation vs active noise cancelling:

Tested youtube, netflix & prime on my iPhone: no delay. There is a slight delay while gaming though.
RTINGS measured 250ms latency on these, and 225ms on the WH-1000XM3 using SBC.
My own testing produced similar results in the YouTube app on iOS with the WH-1000XM3 using AAC:
sony-latency-ios12aac9wft4.jpg

I did measure 127ms using wired headphones though, which would mean that Bluetooth is adding 131ms.
More details (and Bose QC25/QC35 results) in this post.

I wish someone would produce high-end ANC headphones which also have aptX Low Latency support for gaming. The ANC itself does not seem to add any latency - and even if it did, it would still be beneficial to use aptX LL.
The only headphones I've seen with ANC and aptX LL are made by Avantree, but I have no idea how they perform compared to Sony or Bose.

I at least never had one.
Bose Sleepbuds may work, but they are just for sleeping - you can't play any media with it (only pre-installed noises+ANC).
The Sleepbuds don't have ANC at all, they only play ambient sounds.
I wish something that small could be ANC Earbuds, but I guess the tech just isn't there yet.
Bose's upcoming Noise Cancelling Earbuds 500 and 700 are similar in design to these Sony ones:
cwelch_190605_3471_00dijfx.jpg
cwelch_190605_3471_00z5kxa.jpg

(both images are NC Earbuds 500 prototypes)

I'd expect these to compete with the Jabra Elite 65/75t, the Samsung Galaxy Buds, AirPods. The market position for the Sony product is different.
The Echo Buds have Bose active noise reduction, which puts them in contention with these.
Bose have said that ANR is not the same as their full-strength active noise cancellation tech which will be in the NC Earbuds 500/700, but it will be interesting to see how competitive it is.

My main issues have been related to the transition between devices. For example, on iOS 12, when using my Genki on Switch and my phone, here was the old procedure:

Start using headphones on phone
Disable BT in control center
Plug in Genki, it automatically connects with the headphones once the Switch exits sleep mode
Finish playing, remove Genki. Headphones automatically disconnect
Enable BT in control center
Open Headphones Connect, hit the connect button.
Bluetooth device switching is the worst. Bose headphones can pair two devices simultaneously, but that can actually be frustrating when it doesn't want to release a device without switching it off (I use an always-on transmitter connected to my PC).
Disabling Bluetooth is not always an option; if you have an Apple Watch, that needs Bluetooth enabled on your phone, for example.

And a few hours after Amazon announced their earbuds, Anker announced their dual driver Liberty 2 Pro model ($150), along with their Liberty 2 and Liberty Air 2 (Airpod looking). They have a app that can tailor the EQ to your ears.

https://www.soundcore.com/products/...earch=masterbanner&keywords=1_preorder_190926
These don't have active noise cancellation.

Last edited:

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
First, thanks for all the info!

Re: Latency
I didn't obviously professionally test them. But I watched hours of videos on mentioned services (on my iPhone primary) and never experienced delay/lipsync issues. Same with the WH-1000XM2, which I additionally sometimes use on my TV (LGC8).

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So finally got a pair of these. I'm a bit of an audiophile and my daily use in-ears are the Shure 846 with the bluetooth BT2 cable.

Coming from that to the sound quality of the WF1000MX3 is a huge step down but the features are great. What I love the most is the wireless and noise cancelling features and how good it looks.

What i don't like is the volume - i actually have to turn the volume up quite a bit to listen well. Oh well. Going to keep using these for a few more days and decide if I should keep them or not.

I'd expect there to be a huge step down. You are comparing i pair of IEM's that are regularly featured as some of the best monitors on the market that retail for around £800/$1000 which are targeted at audiophiles. Whereas these are targeted at your standard market that want functionality rather than things like soundstage, considering the price, the features , the form factor, and the target audience I wouldn't expect them to even get close to the wired 215's in terms of quality.

You'd probably have more fun testing IEM's like the KZ AS16, Tin HIFI P1/T3, CCA C16.

Last edited:

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So I think I got a defected product; the right ear bud crackles whenever I'm walking a crowded area. Now I gotta find the time to return it😫

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
So I think I got a defected product; the right ear bud crackles whenever I'm walking a crowded area. Now I gotta find the time to return it😫
Could also be interference with a lot of other devices nearby. I would still exchange it, but do you have the setting on prioritizing audio quality or connection? Because at home I can keep it on quality but in public sometimes have to put it on connection myself.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Could also be interference with a lot of other devices nearby. I would still exchange it, but do you have the setting on prioritizing audio quality or connection? Because at home I can keep it on quality but in public sometimes have to put it on connection myself.
Yes. Thus why I think these are defective. I never had this issue with my other pair of headphones.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man something borked with this and now it's connecting to my Mac but not having any sound. And when it does have sound, it sounds terrible. Sigh