• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
A weak launch is nothing to celebrate and rest easy over, especially when their competitor has hundreds of millions of more dollars to burn before they call it quits.

I have no interest in Stadia, but they have said many times that this is the infantile stages of streaming, that ISPs need to solve data issues over time, etc.

Google is still going to pursue this for years to come, so why would Sony and MS have "lost their fear" when Stadia has barely entered the market? No major company would let their guard down like that.

I think it's that they can see Google's trajectory out in the open now. They didn't jump into the market and make waves, so they can prepare for and anticipate the iterative improvements Google will make from where the service is now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If anything this means Xbox can delay Xcloud a little longer until it definitely wipes the floor with everything. Stadia flop bought them time.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If true, I'm surprised they were ever overly concerned. Streaming may become a large part of the market in the future, but I echo many others here in that I don't think the infrastructure is ready even in large parts of first world countries.

Also, data caps. Gonna have to regulate those out of existence first.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I really want to like and enjoy Stadia but they are making it difficult. New games releasing 9am PST is idiotic, that's 5pm in the UK.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "meat" of the OP's article (translated):

What is this laughable bullshit obviously manufactured specifically for consumption by anti-streaming/anti-Stadia gamers. Companies don't think like this. They're not a "person" who gets afraid of something, and then at first sign of relief just gets all calm and not worried anymore.

And while Google badly communicated their "early access" as a "launch", and many gamers look at it that way, there is no way that competitors are so blind that they see it the same way. They know this is Google making a first incursion into gaming and they know that Google will continue operating on an iterative approach with the service moving forward. So it's not like they're going to look at this one one "launch" (which they know is a wide beta test in reality) and sit down and pat themselves on the back saying "Yeah, nothing to worry about".

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
The biggest mistake for Google was going along with the pitch delivered by a drunk Phil Harrison.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to like and enjoy Stadia but they are making it difficult. New games releasing 9am PST is idiotic, that's 5pm in the UK.
More importantly it is finally a day 1 release that is reviewing well and not available on consoles and they are mentioning it as an afterthought instead of screaming it from the mountaintop

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Why is the source a Eurogamer.pt article if it is primarily talking about what Kotaku said?

Also people doubting that Microsoft/Sony were scared is a bit of an odd stance to take. Google is a big company and managed to become strong contenders in some of the industries they entered. Even if it had DOA written all over it to us as consumers, business isn't as simple as some bad pre-launch PR and Sony/Microsoft definitely were justified in being terrified of Google.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
They werent scared of $130 founder edition forced $10 a month subscription only full price games Stadia

They were scared of $0 cost of entry, $0 monthly fee 1080/60 way to play third party games without the barrier of entry of buying a console.

Also Google presented a 10 TFlop machine which would have competed with next gen, so $0 buyin vs $500 would be terrifying. Launch really could not have gone worse.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
They werent scared of $130 founder edition forced $10 a month subscription only full price games Stadia

They were scared of $0 cost of entry, $0 monthly fee 1080/60 way to play third party games without the barrier of entry of buying a console.

Also Google presented a 10 TFlop machine which would have competed with next gen, so $0 buyin vs $500 would be terrifying. Launch really could not have gone worse.
They should still be concerned if Google can deliver on this before the next gen launch, right now they are stumbling mostly due to their beyond shitty communication but the tech itself is quite amazing.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Or that Microsoft added 50 free games for the XCloud Beta. Sony and Microsoft obviously payed enough attention to understand that they needed to make these changes to challenge the Stadia offer.
Which is great for consumers, which is why I am anyways baffled by some responses here concerning competition

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
They should still be concerned if Google can deliver on this before the next gen launch, right now they are stumbling mostly due to their beyond shitty communication but the tech itself is quite amazing.

The advantage that Google has is that they have a year to mold Stadia into something respectable. Time will tell if they will take advantage of this.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah Stadia Base will be launch 2.0 If they use their 100+ billion in cash to bolster their lineup and compete with game pass & get games like Madden, COD, FIFA etc I can see them being successful. They have a great advantage in promotion via Youtube.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, I'm not talking about "fear" as in "Uh oh, I hope Phil Harrison isn't hiding under my bed tonight." I'm talking about "fear" as in "oh shit our investors are going to flip out if one of the biggest companies in the world enters the gaming space with this revolutionary new technology and we don't react accordingly."

This. A lot of people ITT aren't recognizing just how much respect Google demands. When the top of Silicon Valley's food chain says "We're going to come into your industry with this brand-new tech" you have to be listening, because if they pull it off and you aren't ready you're fucked.

And the fear I imagine is different between the two. For Microsoft the fear is that they've been setting up xCloud as their disruptive streaming solution, and here comes Google with a very similar product ready to beat them to the punch, and if they pulled it off xCloud would be coming in as a follower and not as a leader. For Sony the fear is they've had PSNow sitting around for years just doing its own thing and between Stadia and xCloud they have to start pushing it out as their take on it or risk falling behind.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Well then you'd be wrong!

Of course, I'm not talking about "fear" as in "Uh oh, I hope Phil Harrison isn't hiding under my bed tonight." I'm talking about "fear" as in "oh shit our investors are going to flip out if one of the biggest companies in the world enters the gaming space with this revolutionary new technology and we don't react accordingly."

The context here is that around GDC 2018, rumors were circulating that Google had huge plans to take on Microsoft and Sony, and that the core of those plans was to reach billions of people rather than millions. Back then nobody could have known what a mess Stadia would turn out to be, but I can assure you that gaming executives were extremely worried and devising their own plans with Google in mind. Nothing spooks industry investors like a brand new competitor with an ambitious mandate and literally infinite funds.
Iunno. I think that the failure was kind of clear cut and could be seen from a mile away. Perhaps I see it differently as some stinky nerd who goes to work and then plays video games for the rest of the day but we've had streaming services in the past and the problem doesn't lie within the service itself. It lies within the infrastructure of internet in many countries that are purchasing video games. Stadia, and other streaming platforms, are great for those who are in the most optimal situations be it with their internet connection and their distance to a Stadia server. I'd even go so far as to say the lack of games on launch doesn't even help determine it's failure, but their gross overestimate on their reach does.

But PlayStation and Microsoft already knew this.

Unless I've been reading wrong, Phil Spencer has talked a lot about how XCloud isn't designed to replace their Xbox consoles, rather it's there to a compliment to it and their services (GamePass, for example). I'd feel that this is also the case for PSNow. They are products that exist for people who want them, but products that aren't pushed nearly as hard as their main platform because they know that the true market for streaming services frankly just... well it doesn't exist. Not to a scale that would be replacing consoles any time soon, at least. Not to mention while Google does have basically infinite funding to pump into their projects they're also incredible notorious for killing projects, even good ones, that don't meet some bullshit numbers they put in place for them. Rest in peace Google Allo.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Iunno. I think that the failure was kind of clear cut and could be seen from a mile away. Perhaps I see it differently as some stinky nerd who goes to work and then plays video games for the rest of the day but we've had streaming services in the past and the problem doesn't lie within the service itself. It lies within the infrastructure of internet in many countries that are purchasing video games. Stadia, and other streaming platforms, are great for those who are in the most optimal situations be it with their internet connection and their distance to a Stadia server. I'd even go so far as to say the lack of games on launch doesn't even help determine it's failure, but their gross overestimate on their reach does.

Unless I've been reading wrong, Phil Spencer has talked a lot about how XCloud isn't designed to replace their Xbox consoles, rather it's there to a compliment to it and their services (GamePass, for example). I'd feel that this is also the case for PSNow. They are products that exist for people who want them, but products that aren't pushed nearly as hard as their main platform because they know that the true market for streaming services frankly just... well it doesn't exist. Not to a scale that would be replacing consoles any time soon, at least. Not to mention while Google does have basically infinite funding to pump into their projects they're also incredible notorious for killing projects, even good ones, that don't meet some bullshit numbers they put in place for them. Rest in peace Google Allo.

I agree with you completely, and have been banging this drum for at least a couple years regarding streaming-only solutions. The infrastructure at least in the United States simply is not there.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Don't see why they wouldn't initially be terrified of a company with the resources of Google trying to break into the gaming market. Of course, Google then made the mistake of hiring Phil Harrison of the PS3 and Xbox One launches.
This. Google had the resources to be amazing. It missed the mark, but if they had focused on the right things and hadn't rushed it, Google could've been massive. Writing was on the wall and all, but Sony and Microsoft were smart for being wary of it - better safe than sorry

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
This. Google had the resources to be amazing. It missed the mark, but if they had focused on the right things and hadn't rushed it, Google could've been massive. Writing was on the wall and all, but they were smart for being wary of it
It's still a beta no matter what they call it. They need to step up their game but these calls for Stadia to be dead a crazy premature until the real product launches next year.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Nothing was clear until GDC 2019, when Google actually announced what it was doing. It was GDC 2018 when the whispers started and Sony/Microsoft got wind that Google was working on secret gaming projects that might be linked to streaming. At that point there was little indication to anyone at Sony or Microsoft what Google's specific plans actually were, which drove a lot of the fear I'm talking about here.

Even the day before Google's keynote, all sorts of rumors were flying around about Google making a high-end console among other things. (Rumors I tried to shoot down!) And I'm not just talking about on the internet. I have to be vague about this one, but the night before Google's keynote, I heard that some highly placed people at one of the two other aforementioned companies strongly believed that Google was doing something very, very different than it turned out to be doing. The anxiety was very real.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
While true, I doubt that a lot of average consumers are going to shell out $500 w/tax on a PS5 or on a Xbox 4. That's like their whole paycheck. Maybe with hardcore gamers, but average consumers make up the majority of console sales by a wide margin.

All that Nintendo has to do, is just lower the price of the original Switch by $50 near November next year & people can get 2 Switches for the price of a PS5 or a Xbox 4.

In general the average consumer is not who buys consoles at launch anyways. Those usually come later once they have established themselves. It's the diehards that buy a launch console (and also tend to define which one is the one to get, why launch makes a big difference in how the console does in its lifetime).

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Stadia should have made SONY and Microsoft optimistic about video game streaming, Google is going into the depths of streaming and has the $ to dig themselves out of any bad launch.

Jun 23, 2019
Nothing was clear until GDC 2019, when Google actually announced what it was doing. It was GDC 2018 when the whispers started and Sony/Microsoft got wind that Google was working on secret gaming projects that might be linked to streaming. At that point there was little indication to anyone at Sony or Microsoft what Google's specific plans actually were, which drove a lot of the fear I'm talking about here.

Even the day before Google's keynote, all sorts of rumors were flying around about Google making a high-end console among other things. (Rumors I tried to shoot down!) And I'm not just talking about on the internet. I have to be vague about this one, but the night before Google's keynote, I heard that some highly placed people at one of the two other aforementioned companies strongly believed that Google was doing something very, very different than it turned out to be doing. The anxiety was very real.

Interesting! Any chance that those highly placed people were fearful because Google was about to step into waters of something they themselves had been working on in secret?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm not even sure where the hell their fear or loss of it is even coming from. Where is the source of someone from Sony or MS legitimately saying their plans shifted or were being designed around beating Stadia? Sony dropping price on PSNow is the best thing to come of it, but the rest of this is pure anti-Stadia nonsense.