• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
The way I read it, it was "mandate a new performance mode for all games".

A mandatory new standard. Aka, if you're not using 4k, then the game will have a 1080/60, always.
Right. And your reply was about games not 'needing' certain modes.

Making something a standard has nothing to do with 'need.' It's about what people want.

And I think a good number of people would want a performance mode on all next gen games. Same way many people want to watch movies in HD now, even though movies don't need to be in HD.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Right. And your reply was about games not 'needing' certain modes.

Making something a standard has nothing to do with 'need.' It's about what people want.

And I think a good number of people would want a performance mode on all next gen games. Same way many people want to watch movies in HD now, even though movies don't need to be in HD.

I'm sure people would, but mandatory means that all games would need to be 60fps at 1080 and there isn't a need for all games to do that.

I'm good with 30fps in some games, 60fps in most others.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
I'm sure people would, but mandatory means that all games would need to be 60fps at 1080 and there isn't a need for all games to do that.

I'm good with 30fps in some games, 60fps in most others.
Pretty sure this thread is talking about a mandatory 60fps MODE. You'd still have your 30fps mode if you wanted.

And I'm sure many people would be good with playing console games at 480p. That doesn't change the fact that a mandatory HD mode back on PS3/360 was a good thing.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Pretty sure this thread is talking about a mandatory 60fps MODE. You'd still have your 30fps mode if you wanted.

And I'm sure many people would be good with playing console games at 480p. That doesn't change the fact that a mandatory HD mode back on PS3/360 was a good thing.

It seems as if the OP assumed that devs would target 4k30 and then 1080p/whatever....

Even if it was an optional mode, there no guarantee that the mode wouldn't suck or be a tack on.

I just never felt the need for everything to be 60fps and frame rate is harder to standardize than resolution.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing should be standardized or mandated. Developers should be the ones to decide what frame rate and resolution combos are best for their games, and be able to put resources elsewhere if they so want.

They're welcome to do that on the PC. But one of the main reasons people buy consoles is for the walled garden and more or less standardized experience.

I have a 4K display, but now these fucks are talking about 8K. Hit 4K/60fps first and we'll talk.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really gotta get it in your dumb heads - enforced 60fps will never happen. No, not even as an optional setting. It'll be up to the developers and they won't go that route either. It's all about pretty stills to them, not "smooth 60fps gameplay" or whatever the fuck. 60fps doesn't sell games nor systems.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all really gotta get it in your dumb heads - enforced 60fps will never happen. No, not even as an optional setting. It'll be up to the developers and they won't go that route either. It's all about pretty stills to them, not "smooth 60fps gameplay" or whatever the fuck. 60fps doesn't sell games nor systems.
Well COD and BF should still be targeting 60FPS at least

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That's true for literally anything a developer adds to a game.

I'll take the risk.

How?

Balance performance targets, with everything going on in a game, all the different scenes, effects. I'm sure it could be done but a set mode as a target could be an issue, especially later in a consoles life if they want to use more expensive lighting/rendering effects. PS3 added a 1080p mode, wasn't often used, same would be for a 1080/60 mode, a lot of games would skip it if they could.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Can that mandate come with a free budget boost and a 48 hour day? ;)

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
would be an interesting experiment if one of the big 3 did a massive release with some basic graphical options like a pc title with a low, med, high. adding expected fps as it's locked hardware, and as part of the intro they offer the selection with a simple description like "real nice graphic, cinematic framerate -4k 30 fps" "decent graphic, smooth framerate, less detail - 2k 60 fps" "basic graphix, lower res, srs bsns framerate ~1080p 120fps unlocked" and get some data on what consumers stick with. also, choice is just nice. with console and pc architecture having mostly converged since 2013, be cool to start getting some of those pc QoL features as standard.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly fine with devs giving me a simple to choose either resolution or perfomance mode. I think they should just stick with that.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why you had to make another thread when there's already this https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...0fps-standardized-on-console-next-gen.112301/ but I'll say the same thing here.

Nothing should be standardized or mandated. Developers should be the ones to decide what frame rate and resolution combos are best for their games, and be able to put resources elsewhere if they so want.
Agreed, platform-holder mandates always turn out to be more of a hindrance than anything else. Now, if the platforms want to implement something on a system-level like Beast mode for instance, I'm all for that, or expose APIs in their SDK that makes it absolutely trivial for devs to make performance mode an option, but I don't see how that's feasible, because what it really boils down to is optimisation really. Best to just leave it up to the devs.

Perhaps a new category on the store fronts would be nice, so we could filter for those games with a performance mode.

Oct 29, 2017
With the CPU bump and obviously they'll be aiming for native 4K then it should be pretty easy for most devs to have a 1440p 60fps mode for their games.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i agree OP.

seriously fuck resolution, i couldn't care less

and i aint even talking about 60fps, im talking about getting games like Dishonored 2 and The Last Guardian up to 30fps

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Is it REALLY that time-consuming for developers to add a toggle for "keep 60fps, scale resolution to maintain it"? Seems like it couldn't be many lines of code in modern game engines.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only way to solve this and to satisfy most people means every game should have at least 2 graphics modes. Performance and resolution.

For starters, all games should be developed with at least 60FPS in mind. For single player games target should be 60FPS with resolution scaling up to 4K (default setting) and 30FPS mode with resolution scaling up to 8K (optional mode for high end TV users and bleeding edge technology aficionados).

Competitive games should never go below 60FPS, that's just completely unacceptable. Such games should offer 60FPS dynamic 4K mode and 120FPS dynamic 1440p mode.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It would be nice to have the option, yes. I'd gladly drop resolution. However, I wouldn't enforce it on devs. Developers have done a pretty good job this gen, far more than the last one. I expect it'll only improve.

I'm no expert in these things but a performance (1080p, 60fps) and resolution mode (4K, 30fps) should become the expected standard next generation, I hope. These targets being the minimum. Don't know what goes into achieving a stable frame pacing, though.

Bloodborne at 60fps with stable frame pacing is the dream.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
I'd always take a 1080p performance mode on my 4K OLED display if it meant the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

The difference between 30fps and 60fps is huge compared to the difference between 1080p and 4k.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is it REALLY that time-consuming for developers to add a toggle for "keep 60fps, scale resolution to maintain it"? Seems like it couldn't be many lines of code in modern game engines.

I'd probably argue that yeah, it really can be, because there may be factors independent of resolution at play with certain scenes. To the point which you may be risking precipitous and noticeable drops in visual quality and introduction of unwanted artifacts at random and unpredictable intervals. Additionally, while modern game Engines do support dynamic res, there are minimum set points that may not yield 60 FPS. Additionally adding more layers of programming means longer dev time, more complexity, more bug testing and more work to fix those bugs.

Optimization for the style and genre of title will always be key. Demanding 60 FPS for, say, a strategy game or a VN would serve little justifiable purpose.

Still, depending on the game, I DO agree that dynamic res / performance mode should be used more, but not mandated.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Visual novels, point and click games, puzzle games... 60fps doesn't add anything.

I see the "There I said it" touched a nerve, which wasn't really my intention. Just kind of tired of the constant obsession with 60fps as the most important performance metric. 60fps as a screen tearing, frame paced and input lagged mess sucks.
The PC elitists love a 60fps convo.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PC elitists love a 60fps convo.
Sure, "PC elitists", except for the fact that nearly all most played console games in the world right now are 60FPS. I'm not a fan of Fortnite, but I'm sure grateful it's pushing 60FPS goodness onto the masses so fewer and fewer people will tolerate jerky and laggy 30FPS gameplay.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nope. If was that important, people wouldn't buy games that doesn't have this.

VR games already enforce 60fps. Go there and be happy.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Console makers shouldn't mandate it. Nobody forces developers to add options on PC games, it comes from user's requests. If developers think a game needs performance mode and it would benefit players, then they can add it, because of demand, not because of some requirements.
Just support developers who do it and it will come naturally.

I remember when nobody cared about indies and the studio I was working for were making a game for PS3. Sony were proud of their super duper graphics and mandated games to utilize it. Our simple puzzle game was denied because it was not using new shaders and lighting that PS3 could do. It caused us a lot of work until in the end we ended up cancelling the game.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I for one hope they don't target 8K 30fps much if at all. 4K isn't even super common yet

They will target 8k when 8k TV:s get even a bit common.
There is barely any 8k TV:s now and those few there are, are super expensive.
I dont think 8k TV:s will get common anytime soon, at least not anywhere near nextgen launch.