• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The article succinctly lays out why it's the case- MS wants a tabula rasa and is aggressively pursuing the narrative that it has learned its lessons since the days of Don Mattrick's leadership. Phil Spencer has been perhaps the best thing to have happened to Xbox since its inception. His greatest strength is in being able to surround himself with the right people and trusting them.

On the other hand Sony having their played their cards right have been enjoying the fruits of their labour this generation and yet that they may be shackled by their continued success in terms of messaging atm. However, Sony are the 800lb gorilla and Mark Cerny's attitude towards constructing a console based on the feedback of first and third party devs and balancing it against value proposition, they deem is acceptable to consumers, have not changed.

Different messages thought it may have been thus far, both of them have yet to substantially reveal next gen projects in the works. And if Sony's previous showings of projects are any indication of their trend, then they'll show off gameplays during the reveal.

"-- are going to be hotly debated by experts for months, and even more hotly debated by clueless people for literally years."

That has been this place for days. It's been insufferable console warring by fan boys, the impatient and people with no reading comprehension. I haven't put so many threads on ignore since this site started. It's been embarrassing....

It's truly gotten insufferable after the Cerny talk.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
If the XSX is the strong machine we presume it will be, it'll be the superior console for third party games.

If Sony still has better first parties, they'll sell more (again).

Isn't the thing that really drives sales the general mindshare something has? Obviously 'good games' help, as does the very strong PS brand, but this is about more than just that. See: all game sales charts ever.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Not relevant but these interactions keep bugging me:

"faster SSD won't make a difference because everyone aims for the lowest common denominator" but then "12 TF is so much better than 10.28 TF"
It's easier to get an FPS, resolution/ performance bump from raw graphical power than it is from a faster ssd.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

PS4 BC on the PS5 to work on “overwhelming majority” of the library, games to benefit from improved frame rates and resolutions

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5. We’re expecting backward...
I missed this article, thanks for showing it to me.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One is playing yu gi oh the other one is playing magic the gathering

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Be honest. the only reason anyone is hating on the deep dive is because they are starved for new game trailers and stuff. Of course sony will show PS5 exclusives and new epic games. Sequels, and third party next entries. Within two or three months all will be well. I am not worried at all.

They won't launch the system without games. Godfall is just about all we know about and even that doesn't look bad

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is being more open and transparent with the Series X vs. the original Xbox One mainly because they are a completely different company now. They are very open about everything they are doing as a company these days.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I have problems with people being disingenuous. Like people saying the SSD will never be utilized by third party, well then the 44% increase in Ray tacing wont be either. Why would a third party dev pump extra time and resources into something that can't be used by both systems? That's something that goes both ways.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm sorry but ray tracing is going to be shit on the next gen consoles. Even with my 2080ti ray tracing is extremely costly in terms of performance.

There's a reason they've shown minecraft in 1080p to show the feature off.

Ray tracing will be used in some ways but more in certain scenes where it would have the most impact. Better shadows, some better lighing here and there and even a reflection or two.

People who hope to see ray tracing like in the minecraft demo for big aaa titles like gears 6 or halo will be dissapointed. Not even in 1080p and there's no way in hell ms will release a flagship title in 1080p.
The Minecraft Demo was fully Ray Traced. So it costs a lot of performance. Just like with PC, most games will combine Ray Tracing and Rasterization rather then go full ray tracing. But developers can also combine DirectML (Microsoft's version of Nvidia's DLSS) and Variable Rate Shading to get back some substantial performance. Digital Foundry showed this with Control using DLSS (they compared it On and Off). You can use machine learning upscaling to claw back a significant amount of performance.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
I have problems with people being disingenuous. Like people saying the SSD will never be utilized by third party, well then the 44% increase in Ray tacing wont be either. Why would a third party dev pump extra time and resources into something that can't be used by both systems? That's something that goes both ways.
That's not how it works. XSX, PC and PS5 all have RT capability. One can have better RT than the others, just like frame rate, resolution, shadow quality etc as RT can be applied on a sliding scale (look at Digital Foundry Control PC RT video).

Now obviously the faster speed of the PS5 SSD can always apply by reducing load times etc the problem arises when people say it will change the way games are designed. It will, but only for PS5 exclusives.

Take a next gen GTA/CoD/AC for example, it's fairly obvious at this stage the XSX version would be superior to the PS5 version in things like resolution, frame rates and RT (mainly due to the increased CU count which cant be overcome by the PS). The PS5 version would likely load faster (not by much as the XSX has an excellent SSD design also), but that wouldn't be taking full advantage of the PS5s SSD.

The biggest gains in that respect, and where you will see this new game design paradigm, will be from PS5 1st party exclusives.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft is being more open and transparent with the Series X vs. the original Xbox One mainly because they are a completely different company now. They are very open about everything they are doing as a company these days.
They need to answer me how the fuck SharePoint is so unrealiable when using their API

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how it works. XSX, PC and PS5 all have RT capability. One can have better RT than the others, just like frame rate, resolution, shadow quality etc as RT can be applied on a sliding scale (look at Digital Foundry Control PC RT video).

Now obviously the faster speed of the PS5 SSD can always apply by reducing load times etc the problem arises when people say it will change the way games are designed. It will, but only for PS5 exclusives.

Take a next gen GTA/CoD/AC for example, it's fairly obvious at this stage the XSX version would be superior to the PS5 version in things like resolution, frame rates and RT (mainly due to the increased CU count which cant be overcome by the PS). The PS5 version would likely load faster (not by much as the XSX has an excellent SSD design also), but that wouldn't be taking full advantage of the PS5s SSD.

The biggest gains in that respect, and where you will see this new game design paradigm, will be from PS5 1st party exclusives.

what devs were explaining about fast SSD was that it will increase LOD, and that is pretty simple to implement and use, and will probably be very noticeable. They also wont have to pre-load as much data into RAM, leaving it free for other things. You had some dev from ND post screenshot of what better hdd loading managment did for LOD level in their two games and difference was huge.

Now how much of difference is that going to be for 2.4 GBs vs 5.5 GBs, we will have to see when games come out... same goes for the more CUs vs higher clocked CUs.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017

Which is what PS's strength is and how it differentiates itself from other platforms, and the main reason for its success thus far: exclusives.

So in a broader sense, letting another platform have the raw power crown as a trade-off, in exchange for being able to create new and innovative types of games and experiences that can only be had on their platform might actually be playing to their strength.

Interesting generation ahead for sure.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
what devs were explaining about fast SSD was that it will increase LOD, and that is pretty simple to implement and use, and will probably be very noticeable. They also wont have to pre-load as much data into RAM, leaving it free for other things. You had some dev from ND post screenshot of what better hdd loading managment did for LOD level in their two games and difference was huge.

Now how much of difference is that going to be for 2.4 GBs vs 5.5 GBs, we will have to see when games come out... same goes for the more CUs vs higher clocked CUs.
Again, those things you listed as advantages to the PS5 SSD are not making full use of it, if it is to "redefine the way games are designed", it's just better LOD and loading times.

A 3rd party developer of a multiplat is not going to create a game that takes full advantage of the PS5 SSD as it wont work on PC or XSX. Taking advantage of the almost 50% increase in CUs to improve the RT is much simpler to achieve.

Oh and we do know the effect of more CUs vs less but faster CUs. The wide approach (more CUs) is better in almost every instance especially when aiming for high resolutions & frame rates with some form of RT. We also know RT scales better with more CUs than it does with fewer but faster ones.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
I don't think Xbox Series X need damage control.
That's not what it says says...xbox one was a poor seller by xbox360 standards...underpowered and with lame ass ideas like inability to sell or share your games, and the magic cloud making up for its lower specs than ps4...Microsoft is much more in need of a new generation than Sony is...this shouldn't be controversial...

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
Which is what PS's strength is and how it differentiates itself from other platforms, and the main reason for its success thus far.

So in a broader sense, letting another platform have the raw power crown as a trade-off, in exchange for being able to create new and innovative types of games and experiences that can only be had on their platform might actually be playing to their strength.

Oh I agree, my response was to someone who said that if 3P devs cant take full advantage of the PS5s SSD then they wont take advantage of the XSX better RT performance.

I was just pointing out that's not apples to apples as to take full advantage of the PS5s SSD requires a game to be designed around it (redefines the way games are designed remember) and is therefore excluded from PC and XSX as they dint have that capability.

Taking advantage of the increased CU count to improve your RT on the XSX is much simpler.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Again, those things you listed as advantages to the PS5 SSD are not making full use of it, if it is to "redefine the way games are designed", it's just better LOD and loading times.

A 3rd party developer of a multiplat is not going to create a game that takes full advantage of the PS5 SSD as it wont work on PC or XSX. Taking advantage of the almost 50% increase in CUs to improve the RT is much simpler to achieve.

Oh and we do know the effect of more CUs vs less but faster CUs. The wide approach (more CUs) is better in almost every instance especially when aiming for high resolutions & frame rates with some form of RT. We also know RT scales better with more CUs than it does with fewer but faster ones.

It's not 50% in RT or 44% like what some people saying .
It the same as TF advantage which around 15% to 20% for RT
AMD RT hardware scales with speed so it CU count plus clock speed .
Also if you aim for higher res on XSX it no longer has a RT advantage .

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
"the reality is that we won't know for certain how much of a difference these hardware design decisions have made until we start seeing finished games running on production hardware, which remains months away."

This is what I've been saying in the PS5 specs reveal thread....MS and Sony will focus on high tech differentiation which will probably make most punters want both consoles for different reasons...its the smart way to share market share as the new generation progresses...

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Le sigh.

Let's face it, how many people are out there who are legitimately up in the air as to which one they're going to buy? How many people out there would consider switching from one to another based solely on the spec sheet? How many PS4 owners will completely give up on Sony to jump ship to Xbox because of it? Especially with BC being a thing on both systems this time around. Jumping ship means leaving your entire game library behind.

Consumers' minds are already made up. They have been for years. A couple numbers on a piece of paper isn't going to make them switch. Xbox is marketing to Xbox fans, and Playstation is marketing to Playstation fans. They're not trying to snipe each other.

Card games? They're both playing solitaire.

I agree. The PS4/XBO generation drew very clear lines for most people except a small fraction of the hardcore.

Someone mentioned this being an amazing console war ? It's actually extremely boring and predictable, and I'm fine with that. I'm only interested in seeing how the new games run.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The article succinctly lays out why it's the case- MS wants a tabula rasa and is aggressively pursuing the narrative that it has learned its lessons since the days of Don Mattrick's leadership. Phil Spencer has been perhaps the best thing to have happened to Xbox since its inception. His greatest strength is in being able to surround himself with the right people and trusting them.

On the other hand Sony having their played their cards right have been enjoying the fruits of their labour this generation and yet that they may be shackled by their continued success in terms of messaging atm. However, Sony are the 800lb gorilla and Mark Cerny's attitude towards constructing a console based on the feedback of first and third party devs and balancing it against value proposition, they deem is acceptable to consumers, have not changed.

Different messages thought it may have been thus far, both of them have yet to substantially reveal next gen projects in the works. And if Sony's previous showings of projects are any indication of their trend, then they'll show off gameplays during the reveal.

This is how it is with every console generation transition.

The platform holder that was in the weakest position in the previous generation is the first one to start the hype train for the next generation. They're eager for that "Tabula Rasa" as you say.

Traditionally, console transitions are tumultuous times because they essentially reshuffle the deck -- brand loyalty from one console generation to the next doesn't really exist as far as the masses are concerned, people have easily shifted from Nintendo to Sony to Microsoft back to Sony. This might be a generation transition that changes that though. Both Sony and Microsoft are going in with backwards compatibility, and the most mainstream games right now are service-oriented games with long tails that will probably transcend console generations.

How much will Microsoft actually be able to "reshuffle" things this time when there are more people playing Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch on PS4 than Xbox One, and those people will be more likely to keep playing those games on PS5 rather than Series X?

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
There are going to be mindblowing games on both systems when they are designed primarily for them. The increase in power of these systems from the base Xbox One and PS4 is crazy - I can't even fathom how good games will look based on how impressed I am with games that have come out over the past couple of years such as Uncharted 4, God of War, Spiderman, RDR2.

I am most enthused about the game design improvements that will come along with this generation because I think we're finally going to see something new based on dropping HDDs. If one system has slightly better resolution that's upscaled I'm not sure I'll care. I'm always struggling to find differences between graphics fidelity in the comparison videos on DF.

I just want 60 fps!

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Le sigh.

Let's face it, how many people are out there who are legitimately up in the air as to which one they're going to buy? How many people out there would consider switching from one to another based solely on the spec sheet? How many PS4 owners will completely give up on Sony to jump ship to Xbox because of it? Especially with BC being a thing on both systems this time around. Jumping ship means leaving your entire game library behind.

Consumers' minds are already made up. They have been for years. A couple numbers on a piece of paper isn't going to make them switch. Xbox is marketing to Xbox fans, and Playstation is marketing to Playstation fans. They're not trying to snipe each other.

Card games? They're both playing solitaire.

In a constantly shifting industry where we have a new market leader almost every 5 years, I totally disagree. If what you say is true Xbox one would have sold exactly the same as the X360. The market leader always changes.

These articles are aimed at the hardcore amd evangelists, the journalists. The people who will be explaining and recommending purchases to the less knowledgable, who just want to game on the most exciting new platform.

MS does have a very different strategy than Sony these days, but they still see Sony as competition.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Do you think rays will be traced only once per CUs in each frame?

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
In a constantly shifting industry where we have a new market leader almost every 5 years, I totally disagree. If what you say is true Xbox one would have sold exactly the same as the X360. The market leader always changes.

These articles are aimed at the hardcore amd evangelists, the journalists. The people who will be explaining and recommending purchases to the less knowledgable, who just want to game on the most exciting new platform.

MS does have a very different strategy than Sony these days, but they still see Sony as competition.

I kinda agree with his points and yours. The vast majority of people who will buy these consoles won't even know what the spec sheet says and many people who do don't care. No one who was dying to buy the next Halo and Gears looks at the SSD and says I guess I'm forced to get a PS5 because everything will run like a turtle. And no one who is foaming at the mouth for Horizon and God of War 2 has said well looks like games will be ugly on ps5 with that lower teraflop count so I guess Xbox it is.

Xbox performed so bad this generation that they are undoubtedly going to do better. I don't think it beats Sony because Sony is the most consistent brand in the industry historically.

Both are going to be absolute graphical machines with no shortage of amazing games. You can't really go wrong!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Oh I agree, my response was to someone who said that if 3P devs cant take full advantage of the PS5s SSD then they wont take advantage of the XSX better RT performance.

I was just pointing out that's not apples to apples as to take full advantage of the PS5s SSD requires a game to be designed around it (redefines the way games are designed remember) and is therefore excluded from PC and XSX as they dint have that capability.

Taking advantage of the increased CU count to improve your RT on the XSX is much simpler.

So what you're saying is that all the third party devs Cerny talked to and asked 'What would you like in a console that would help make better games?' won't be using, or won't be able to use, the toolset he's provided.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

The market leader changes yes but you have to look at how it happens .
The US and UK market is a very hard fight for both companies but other part of EU things will be the same since PS1.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
If what you say is true Xbox one would have sold exactly the same as the X360. The market leader always changes.

This line is factually incorrect, unless you edited your post to remove them market leader changes every 5-7 years lol

Last 4 gens:

Sony
Sony
Nintendo
Sony

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

If by the market leader changing every 5 years you mean it goes from Sony to Sony to Nintendo to Sony to Sony then yes, it changes every 5 years.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If by the market leader changing every 5 years you mean it goes from Sony to Sony to Nintendo to Sony to Sony then yes, it changes every 5 years.

Atari (Atari 2600) > Nintendo (NES) > Sega (Genesis) > Nintendo (Snes) > Sony (PS1) > Sony (PS2) > Microsoft (X360) > Nintendo (Wii) > Sony (PS4) >>>> Nintendo (Switch)? > ?

The market is constantly shifting. I like to believe this is in part due to the Humbleness to Arrogance cycle

- Humble Company innovates, entire company pulls together, makes a series of great decisions
- Success, becomes market leader
- Success leads to arrogance, key staff depart, company stops innovating as much as competitors
- Competitor overtakes market leader
- Former market leader is humbled
- The Cycle continues

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Atari (Atari 2600) > Nintendo (NES) > Sega (Genesis) > Nintendo (Snes) > Sony (PS1) > Sony (PS2) > Microsoft (X360) > Nintendo (Wii) > Sony (PS4) >>>> Nintendo (Switch)? > ?

The market is constantly shifting. I like to believe this is in part due to the Humbleness to Arrogance cycle

- Humble Company innovates, entire company pulls together, makes a series of great decisions
- Success leads to arrogance, key staff depart, company stops innovating as much as competitors
- The Cycle continues

The 360 wasn't ahead of the PS3 so you're wrong there and your bullet points are not a cycle of any of the console makers. The only developer that had an arrogant moment was Sony. The Xbox Ones failure had nothing to do with being overly cocky they completely misread the market.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The 360 wasn't ahead of the PS3 so you're wrong there and your bullet points are not a cycle of any of the console makers. The only developer that had an arrogant moment was Sony. The Xbox Ones failure had nothing to do with being overly cocky they completely misread the market.

The 360 was ahead of the PS3 for the entire generation. I've heard that at the very tail end, PS3 might have overtaken X360, but I've never seen official numbers indicating this, and PS3 was taken off the market sooner than X360. Both were overtaken by the Wii, which is why I listed the Wii after the X360, similar to how the Snes eventually overtook the Genesis.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
"-- are going to be hotly debated by experts for months, and even more hotly debated by clueless people for literally years."

That has been this place for days. It's been insufferable console warring by fan boys, the impatient and people with no reading comprehension. I haven't put so many threads on ignore since this site started. It's been embarrassing....

My ignore list is PACKED and growing daily.

slobster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure I'll own both consoles eventually but I am really surprised no one ever brings up the fact that Microsoft is 2nd to none when it comes to a multi-console Household. I've always purchased the Sony console first but this go around may be different.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Which is what PS's strength is and how it differentiates itself from other platforms, and the main reason for its success thus far: exclusives.

First party exclusives have very little to do with PS4s success. The system had sold 40 million units by the time its first mass market exclusive launched (Uncharted 4), and 18 of the top 20 grossing games on PS4 are crossplat.

It's a pretty obvious counterfactual, actually - say they had never released God of War, Last of Us 2, Horizon, Last Guardian, or Ghosts. They still would have owned the generation.

That said, I don't disagree that the design sort of plays to what Sony is traditionally known for. They'll have some amazing titles to show off. But I think the people who are into those experiences were going to buy a PS5 anyway. By resetting the brand and taking both the power (XSX) and price (Lockhart) narratives, MS is hoping to make up significant ground with the COD/GTA/Madden gamers that make up the vast majority.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I never knew that Resetera was full of so many professional gaming developers! It's incredible!

I see so many posts about how hard it will be for developers to utilize the SSD fully on PS5, and how easy is to develop for XSX. Everyone must know what they are talking about, with so much experience and wisdom!

/sarcasm

These are the facts right now:
1) Sony has not unveiled every detail of PS5 yet.
2) Sony is doing things differently.
3) Developers are loving BOTH consoles!

And I can assume that absolutely NO ONE in the gaming industry is so desperate about the consoles' differences than here in ERA!

I can't believe that we're getting back to PS3/360 fanboyism, and neither of the consoles have been fully revealed yet!

It scares me to imagine how people will react when the pricing is announced!

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020

- The Cycle continues

Maybe throwing people off with using market leader or shifting market? If we're measuring by actual console generations it's pretty much just been Sony and Nintendo unless you really think it's important to go back to "generations" without real competition.

The 360 did incredibly well, but it didn't end as a market leader. I don't really believe arrogance cost Nintendo or Xbox with their failures either nor do I think the PS4's success was due to them being humbled by the PS3 not dominating like PS2.

Designing systems with ideas that companies think people will love that end up being rejected can't simply be chalked up to cockiness. Nor can designing a system you think people love that gets love be chalked up to a humble attitude.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
They're both being frustratingly boring. I remember the days when we had E3 conferences a year out where they were showing off new games, tech demos, controllers, etc. Now it's just a slow drip. SO BORING. I give plaudits to MS for being a bit more open. I strongly believe that in May we'll get some exciting stuff.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
The 360 was ahead of the PS3 for the entire generation. I've heard that at the very tail end, PS3 might have overtaken X360, but I've never seen official numbers indicating this, and PS3 was taken off the market sooner than X360. Both were overtaken by the Wii, which is why I listed the Wii after the X360, similar to how the Snes eventually overtook the Genesis.
Putting aside the PS3/360 debate (though I don't know where you got the idea the PS3 was taken off the market sooner, the 360 was discontinued in April 2016, while the PS3 was discontinued in May 2017), if you acknowledge the Wii passed the 360 and won that generation, there's no point including the 360 in there as the only reason it was ever in the lead was because it came out first. Using your logic, you may as well include the Wii U too.