• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand paying for server and customer service are hard /s

But
all I want will be just pay for Blooborne patch goddamit...

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I know there will always be cases where the shutdown sucks for a handful of people, but in the grand scheme of things... nobody cares.
This is a legitimate opinion of course and the truth - otherwise they wouldn't have shut down the multiplayer servers in the first place... BUT there's no excuse when I can still play practically all PS3/360 era Ubisoft and EA games online. Some after even 12 years. It can't be that expensive to keep up those servers, regardless of popularity.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Server cost (ie. barebones or "cloud") aren't the big obstacle in such cases and it's usually more about support demand and personal costs.

PSN is also basically the company called "Gakai" and they are usually only providing enogh "server ressources" to meet the demand of Playstation users. Microsoft on the other hand has the "Azure" network and is usually looking to fill its excess capacities with additional offerings. Those Azure capacities are available anyway so it's better to use them for stuff like older multiplayer games instead of not utilizing them at all because those ressources got paid for already.

Without looking into it, I'm willing to bet Gaikai has nothing to do with PSN (Playstation Network and the game servers this thread is about), since they're the streaming company Sony bought out to do their Playstation Now streaming service (a different PSN).

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
What they've done with Driveclub and especially for me, Gravity Rush 2, is pretty fucking disgusting.

what's the point of paying for your arbitrary ass Online paywall if it doesn't even secure that asynchronous MP games stay online?

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I notice is Sony is closing game servers for their online offerings left and right, no matter what console.

Let's look at the Gran Turismo series first. GT5, the best selling PS3 exclusive (scertainly didnt sell nearly as well as GT5, is still up and running. 12 years and counting. Burnout Paradise original shut down just recently, after 11 years (and that game has a remaster, so the online isnt completely lost to time).

Extends to pretty much all first party PS3 games now. Not trying to turn this into console wars, lets just see how it compares to MS's games:
Uncharted 2, 3, Last of Us, Killzone 2, 3, Resistance trilogy, Warhawk, GT5, GT6, Motorstorm, Twisted Metal, Wipeout HD, among most others, all down now. Uncharted couldve been mitigated if the remaster had multiplayer, but it didnt.

Forza Motorsport 2, 3, 4, Horizon, Halo 3, Reach, 4, Gears trilogy, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham 4, all still up and running.

Sony has been making money hand over fist this generation, and somehow they can't afford to keep all those servers up? While MS have been doing the significantly worse than the 360 gen, but still managing to keep up the online mode for their older games.

I love Gran Turismo Sport and its GaaS model. But, I have a lingering fear that in just a couple of years they shut it down, redeeming almost the entire game useless due to to how heavily tied the game is to online.

It's extends to PS4 games too. Of course Gravity Rush and Driveclub, both being shut down prematurely before the generation is even ended.

Thoughts? I dont want this to be seen as a thread where I'm needless bashing Sony. Some of their decisions lately have been good, like backwards compatibility on PS5, and finally opening up to Minecraft crossplay, among others. This is something I'd thought I'd bri[/QUOTE]
Wanted to make a thread about this for a while, so here it is.
It's no secret that Sony's first party has been guns blazing this generation, with works such as Horizon, God of War, and Spiderman.

However, something that I notice is Sony is closing game servers for their online offerings left and right, no matter what console.

Let's look at the Gran Turismo series first. GT5, the best selling PS3 exclusive (sold over 11 million or something), had it's online servers shut down 3.5 years after launch. GT6, which sold another 5 million, had it servers shut down in 4.5 years.

Forza Motorsport 2, a game from 2007, that certainly didnt sell nearly as well as GT5, is still up and running. 12 years and counting. Burnout Paradise original shut down just recently, after 11 years (and that game has a remaster, so the online isnt completely lost to time).

Extends to pretty much all first party PS3 games now. Not trying to turn this into console wars, lets just see how it compares to MS's games:
Uncharted 2, 3, Last of Us, Killzone 2, 3, Resistance trilogy, Warhawk, GT5, GT6, Motorstorm, Twisted Metal, Wipeout HD, among most others, all down now. Uncharted couldve been mitigated if the remaster had multiplayer, but it didnt.

Forza Motorsport 2, 3, 4, Horizon, Halo 3, Reach, 4, Gears trilogy, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham 4, all still up and running.

Sony has been making money hand over fist this generation, and somehow they can't afford to keep all those servers up? While MS have been doing the significantly worse than the 360 gen, but still managing to keep up the online mode for their older games.

I love Gran Turismo Sport and its GaaS model. But, I have a lingering fear that in just a couple of years they shut it down, redeeming almost the entire game useless due to to how heavily tied the game is to online.

It's extends to PS4 games too. Of course Gravity Rush and Driveclub, both being shut down prematurely before the generation is even ended.

Thoughts? I dont want this to be seen as a thread where I'm needless bashing Sony. Some of their decisions lately have been good, like backwards compatibility on PS5, and finally opening up to Minecraft crossplay, among others. This is something I'd thought I'd bring up.

Well Microsoft has a lot more money.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I'm pretty sure its also because Microsoft owns Azure and they probably have games scale to meet their user's needs. So if a game has only 5 players, it'll scale to that.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
This is a legitimate opinion of course and the truth - otherwise they wouldn't have shut down the multiplayer servers in the first place... BUT there's no excuse when I can still play practically all PS3/360 era Ubisoft and EA games online. Some after even 12 years. It can't be that expensive to keep up those servers, regardless of popularity.

Regarding Ubi, Acti and EA, they do multi platform games. So the potential playerbase on any given day is probably a lot bigger to begin with. On top of that they release massive games annually (CoD, Madden, FIFA), where the online components just receive slight updates.
Should be a lot easier to run and maintain FIFA 14's online, when you have 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 up and running anyways. As opposed to Driveclub and Gravity Rush 2.

I work in Enterprise IT but only have legit insight on storage/backup. I do however pick some things up here and there from coworkers in different fields.
Therefore I know that the biggest goal in IT is to prevent maintaining a so called "Zoo" (lots of different technologies with very few instances each). What you want is a "herd" (few technologies, massive amount of instances each).

"Keeping a server running" is easier said then done. VMWare, Oracle, Linux distributors and similar companies charge license fees regardless of how much you use a system. Constant updates, bug fixes and other work are mandatory, which costs human ressources.
Your physical servers (where you likely pay a maintenance contract on) can reach End of Life, which forces you migrate to a new technology.

Not even saying I agree with Sony's modus operandi given all the money they charge for online, just saying that I understand. If they can shut down a system with minimal public outrage (few remaining players) they jump on the opportunity.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
This wouldn't bother me if every game had LAN or private server capability independant of online servers.
Because at the very least I'd be able to find a wonky lobby over xkai if I really wanted to.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
$60 used to buy you 20-50 hours of playtime.

Now players are demanding and frothing at the mouth if you provide playtime AND online play for "only" 2 years. And the more money you make, the more free stuff they demand!

This is a crazy tough business.
I think you forgot the /s there friend.
Also before online was a thing games were $50

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Without looking into it, I'm willing to bet Gaikai has nothing to do with PSN (Playstation Network and the game servers this thread is about), since they're the streaming company Sony bought out to do their Playstation Now streaming service (a different PSN).
Playstation is using (and has extended) the server farms which were built and used from Gaikai. So they basically have their own network where they provide the required resources on-demand for the sole purpose of powering the Playstation services. On the other hand we have Microsoft that relies on its Azure cloud where you have constant global overcapacities (not because they have problems selling their resources but because the cloud is simply that big). It's easier to keep niche services running if you have "free" or "un-used" capacities within your network.

Other companies have different variations of network architectures like Valve that relies on renting capacities from 3rd party datacenters or Acti-Blizz that has a mix of own server farms and something called "colocation".

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Regarding Ubi, Acti and EA, they do multi platform games. So the potential playerbase on any given day is probably a lot bigger to begin with. On top of that they release massive games annually (CoD, Madden, FIFA), where the online components just receive slight updates.
Should be a lot easier to run and maintain FIFA 14's online, when you have 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 up and running anyways. As opposed to Driveclub and Gravity Rush 2.

I work in Enterprise IT but only have legit insight on storage/backup. I do however pick some things up here and there from coworkers in different fields.
Therefore I know that the biggest goal in IT is to prevent maintaining a so called "Zoo" (lots of different technologies with very few instances each). What you want is a "herd" (few technologies, massive amount of instances each).

"Keeping a server running" is easier said then done. VMWare, Oracle, Linux distributors and similar companies charge license fees regardless of how much you use a system. Constant updates, bug fixes and other work are mandatory, which costs human ressources.
Your physical servers (where you likely pay a maintenance contract on) can reach End of Life, which forces you migrate to a new technology.

Not even saying I agree with Sony's modus operandi given all the money they charge for online, just saying that I understand. If they can shut down a system with minimal public outrage (few remaining players) they jump on the opportunity.
Thanks for the insight and your educated opinion on that matter. In those instances where I have played old EA and Ubi games (non-sport/popular) a few weeks ago, I've only found 0-1 players online by the way. So I still can't imagine why or how they keep the multiplayer up for a nonexistent playerbase but I'm impressed nevertheless.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was disappointed that Little Big Planet got closed. On the PS3 it remained active throughout the console life span once it launched and on the PS4 it was just killed off.

I guess the franchise just was no longer popular.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're cheap as fuck, it's weird too since there are games that are still alive. Example Vita and PS3 mp games are still there.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That game that works perfectly fine without the online? It's a real shame

Oh come off it. The online was some of the best aspects of that game. I had as much fun with the online as with the offline and it's what helped make the sequel as good as the first game in my eyes, and I probably would have kept playing it too.

So what if it "works perfectly fine," you mean, some of the game works perfectly fine with out it. The online gameplay WAS part of the game. And it doesn't work.

They tried to shut it down, what, less than a year after it came out? There's no justification for that. It wasn't even using matchmaking.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for the insight and your educated opinion on that matter. In those instances where I have played old EA and Ubi games (non-sport/popular) a few weeks ago, I've only found 0-1 players online by the way. So I still can't imagine why or how they keep the multiplayer up for a nonexistent playerbase but I'm impressed nevertheless.

Without having any deep insight into their stuff, a difference might be the organizational approach.

EA, Acti and Ubi probably went like: "OK, we are selling a shit ton of games every year, therefore we always need to maintain a certain amount of rackspace/Tflops/TB/Bandwidth + manpower to run multiplayer. We also need no make sure all games are compatible with our inhouse standards."
That approach makes it a lot easier to be "generous" and keep stuff alive. You have massive costs up front but over time, it's cheaper at that scale.

Sony OTH only has one on going annual franchise (MLB IIRC) the rest of their games are somewhat isolated entities. Therefore it's probably cheaper in the short term to do a quick fix for datacenter capacity (buy it somewhere else) but will become a nuisance in the books as soon as the active player count drops.

That said, I did a quick Google search and it says that EA has shut down FIFA 14 servers in late 2017.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation is using (and has extended) the server farms which were built and used from Gaikai. So they basically have their own network where they provide the required resources on-demand for the sole purpose of powering the Playstation services. On the other hand we have Microsoft that relies on its Azure cloud where you have constant global overcapacities (not because they have problems selling their resources but because the cloud is simply that big). It's easier to keep niche services running if you have "free" or "un-used" capacities within your network.

Other companies have different variations of network architectures like Valve that relies on renting capacities from 3rd party datacenters or Acti-Blizz that has a mix of own server farms and something called "colocation".

Not sure where you got that from, Sony's infrastructure is housed in AT&T datacenters and have recently announced they'll be using Azure.
I've never heard Sony moving any of it's PS Network functionality to the Gaikai infrastructure (except obviously PS Now), if you have any sources on this please share.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Sony has this habit of dropping something hard when they no longer find it useful or profitable. Keeping the online on seems to be one of them since even strangely enough, Nintendo is better at this. I mean, the Wii U was a failed console, yet you can still play all the Wii U games online, even the ones that got sequels on the Switch like Mario Maker, Smash, and Splatoon.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens on closed-platforms. You have no say on anything. The community can't even attempt to keep servers up themselves, or host private games. And there is no alternative to paying for online play because alternative services on the platform would result in meaningful competition.

You don't need tens of thousands of players to keep a game healthy. There are several 20+ year old PC games that continue to have healthy communities because of server lists (instead of matchmaking) and community-hosted servers.

I'd think that showing your customers that any online game has an expiration date when it's no longer popular would be a strong deterrent from investing in them.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
$60 used to buy you 20-50 hours of playtime.

Now players are demanding and frothing at the mouth if you provide playtime AND online play for "only" 2 years. And the more money you make, the more free stuff they demand!

This is a crazy tough business.

That's why we pay monthly subscriptions on top of the $60 game. It's more than reasonable to expect a games sevices to continue if you're paying a monthly subscription.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't happened to play many Sony online games, but the one I remember doing this early was MAG. That was an online only game, so shutting down the servers turned it into a coaster. I believe it lasted about 4 years, which isn't that bad but you'd think first party exclusives could afford better support.

Ah damn, I loved that game, shutdowning the servers made me angry :/. But at the time I didn't pay for ps+ so it was 'kind of" ok (MAG was only online so it was a freaking waste).
Nowadays we pay for it, they shouldn't simply shutdown servers.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Sony have no respect for their incredible legacy, if it's not the latest release it's disposable to them. I wish that preservation was as important to Sony as it is to Microsoft.

If Microsoft can maintain the online functionality of PGR4, a delisted game that came out 12 years ago on previous generation hardware, Sony can do the same for Driveclub.

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
So if PS5 get full backward compabillity, most of the games wont be playable online?

Last edited:

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It would be fine if online was free, but it isn't. They can afford to keep those servers up with the money they make from paid subscriptions. But they don't want to.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
they arent gonna keep servers up if the population is low. They could probably keep those servers open, but they wont. On the one hand, they are penny pinching fucks for that. on the other hand, the population is low, so its a minority share of people who would be affected.

So if PS5 get full backward compabillity, most of the games want be playable online?

All of them that still have online servers id imagine

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
But I don't believe you can play OG Xbox games on XBL? You can still play most 360 & X1 games on Live but not OG Xbox games. I agree with your point but just saying...
Yes, they shut down ths ervers in 2010. I was among the last "resistance" to play Halo 2 :D They could shut down the servers only when everyone log off, so for a few days people were playing like madmen.

Kudos for them for disclosing the techincal reason why they had to shut them down, at least. Halo 2 MP is alive in the MCC, tho.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Btw, the Singstar servers will be closing next January, for the 5 people that care.
And if you delete your purchased songs from you HDD, you can never redownload them again.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny that 2 out of the 3 companies charging for online multiplayer are often bad about keeping their own servers running.

Most 3rd party devs keep up their stuff for way longer than they do.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably for the best they continue focusing on mostly single player, offline games because it's a total gamble to think they'll invest in their online offerings long term.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
They shut down servers when nobody is playing online anymore. Why shouldn't they? Even if you wanted to play online there'd be nobody else to play against.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the partnership with Azure will have any effect on this.

I wish devs would release the source code for their servers when they intend to shut down a game's online services and add a server browser when possible.

Sometimes the community can get stuff like that working without the help, but it can take a long time and the implementation isn't always perfect.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't part of the issue that a lot of Sony's games on PS3 had actual dedicated servers and weren't just peer to peer.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Sony, as an company, doesn't have the financial clout of Microsoft.
Going forward into the 2020's and beyond, this could be an issue as games get ever more spectacular and expensive to host and run.

Microsoft know this of course and it's why they're pushing services like Game Pass so much.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Sony, as an company, doesn't have the financial clout of Microsoft.
Going forward into the 2020's and beyond, this could be an issue as games get ever more spectacular and expensive to host and run.

Microsoft know this of course and it's why they're pushing services like Game Pass so much.

Then why are people paying for PSN+?