• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not lying though. Pre-console release PR is meaningless, whoever is more effective at marketing will be revealed once sales numbers come out.

Yeah all this nonsense about Sony's silence immediately becomes moot even when they show games but especially once the console is out and people are playing it. The silence won't matter a bit by that point if they've got the software and other elements to draw people in.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah all this nonsense about Sony's silence immediately becomes moot when they show the games. Its such a short term outlook on things.
Yeah it's stupid lmao. Especially how news media spreads. People are just spreading FUD about the silence stuff. ESP when it's barely close to 6 months from launch. Apple doesn't say shit about the next iPhone till like a month before or less.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's stupid lmao. Especially how news media spreads. People are just spreading FUD about the silence stuff. ESP when it's barely close to 6 months from launch. Apple doesn't say shit about the next iPhone till like a month before or less.

I've got much the same opinion about the TLOU2 leaks. Once millions of gamers get their hands on the game the leaks become a moot point because the entire conversation shifts.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Honestly it's true. We have to wait and see to know for sure. I don't think their strategy will negatively affect sales. I'd just say that there was a period earlier this year where people thought MS was being way more transparent but right now it's kind of being forgotten because Sony is saying more than MS and what they're saying is being better received. (Ghost, TLoU2, UE5 etc) vs MS recent showcase. They have been patient and slow but their content has been far better received. I will take slow and good over rushed and ill-conceived. But if their messaging fails people will be more irritated if it's drip-fed.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
People are so thirsty for PS5 news because Xbox started SO early. Wasn't in last E3 they announced Project Scarlet? They then showed the box at Christmas!

Sony know what they're doing (I hope) and we'll know all about it in a few weeks.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony doesn't have to market because their fan base is so extra

As mentioned above, people do fan art for their controllers. When you have people that in love with your product that they are drawing pictures of controllers? That's a whole other level of gamer that Xbox doesn't cater to at all.
Your profile picture is hilariously fitting.

People are so thirsty for PS5 news because Xbox started SO early. Wasn't in last E3 they announced Project Scarlet? They then showed the box at Christmas!

Sony know what they're doing (I hope) and we'll know all about it in a few weeks.
I was quite heistant of Sony's marketing but other than their fumble on messaging for the GDC spec talk, they've been nailing it. They seem to release few bits of information, and it's generally whenever Xbox has some event which ends up overshadowing it most of the time.. all the while still keeping most of their cards to their chest.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
For some reason I feel like i don't know THAT much more about the xbox than ps5. Besides how it looks
And of both companies the only thing that felt "nextgen" was the epic games stuff running on ps5

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What a dumb argument.

Sony could literally say nothing up until launch day of PS5 and they'd still sell more than Xbox, would that mean that's the correct strategy and the reason they sold more?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
XUpJW4v_d.webp
PS5 will be lucky to beat Switch alone ;) not every gens can be PS2/PS4 lol.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is going to sell out in its first year regardless of what Sony does so long as the pricing isn't absurd. They have enough loyal consumers to guarantee sales of however many they can make in their first year.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all this nonsense about Sony's silence immediately becomes moot even when they show games but especially once the console is out and people are playing it. The silence won't matter a bit by that point if they've got the software and other elements to draw people in.
but i wanted to know NOW and they didn't tell me >:(

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't have to market because their fan base is so extra

As mentioned above, people do fan art for their controllers. When you have people that in love with your product that they are drawing pictures of controllers? That's a whole other level of gamer that Xbox doesn't cater to at all.
Are you for real ?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I
Are you serious? What does that even mean?
It simple mean that this generazione won't be anything close to last gen.

PS2 DOMINATED GC and XBOX, so did PS4 with Wii U and XB1.

PS5 is gonna be a Huge success i have no doubt about that, but Switch alone makes this scenario impossible to happen (even If it sells more than Switch, it'll barely surpass it), and i doubt Microsoft will Fuck up as hard as they did last gen.

In short, PS5 will be a success but will not dominate the as PS2 or PS4 did.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I

PS5 is gonna be a Huge success i have no doubt about that, but Switch alone makes this scenario impossible to happen (even If it sells more than Switch, it'll barely surpass it), and i doubt Microsoft will Fuck up as hard as they did last gen.

And what if PS5 sells just as much as ps4?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
And what if PS5 sells just as much as ps4?
That's the point, it's not enought. Switch is selling at PS4 level right now, and is more than likely that it'll sell in the same range lifetime.
Now, if PS5 sells as much, what does this mean? Will it be a Huge success? Yes.
Will it dominate the market? Nope, and that's what i'm saying.

This is simple not gonna be a generation where Sony beats easily Nintendo and Microsoft combined.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
im surprised people expect Microsoft to not put out quality content with all of those new studios.

The odds are in their favor to bounce back. They all have bad or off generations.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Don't forget the PS1 was also a sales monster. In fact only Sony's 'dud' console (PS3) sold less than 100 million, and even then it came pretty close!

And yeah the Switch is doing very well for itself but then to be fair Nintendo has consolidated their home and handheld audience so I don't see the success of the Switch having too much of a bearing over how well the PS5 and XSX does.

The PS5 has every chance of being as successful as the PS4 and possibly even more so. There are still many unknowns (launch games, launch price, new services like PS Now, etc) that I wouldn't be making any big calls just yet, and it certainly seems silly to doubt the PlayStation brand after what we've seen over the last 25 years.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
What a dumb argument.

Sony could literally say nothing up until launch day of PS5 and they'd still sell more than Xbox, would that mean that's the correct strategy and the reason they sold more?

Considering that marketing costs hundreds of millions of dollars...maybe? Your statement is nested in hyperbole that'll never happen, however products launch all the time hoping they will get carried by word of mouth because marketing is huge massive investment, often ecilipsing game development or movie development budgets.

A lot of modern tech is advertised 1-3 months before release. My own company does not drop news of our product until the day of launch and I promise you the marketing team is working around the clock, even when our strategy is day of release.

We are almost in the 6 month window until launch for the new consoles and marketing will be ramping up. I don't have any reason to doubt that both of them will be holding back the purse strings when it comes to marketing their consoles. However, there is a difference between "talk loud" and "talk often" and both can be viable strategies depending on the product strategy. Sony is very much going for the "talk loud" approach and its working for them.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I don't care how well it sells

Just give me a price so I know what to set aside

I'm talking to both Sony and Microsoft

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
im surprised people expect Microsoft to not put out quality content with all of those new studios.

The odds are in their favor to bounce back. They all have bad or off generations.

I think it's borderline inevitable that Microsoft will claw back marketshare. I also think it's borderline inevitable that Sony will sell more console hardware again, because of the sheer inertia being the market leader carries, and the reality that Microsoft still don't really compete in every international market.

How much marketshare Microsoft claw back, will be dependent on the quality of their software, and the execution of their next-gen plans. But simply not self-immolating again like in 2013 will all-but-guarantee some recouping of marketshare.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Don't forget the PS1 was also a sales monster. In fact only Sony's 'dud' console (PS3) sold less than 100 million, and even then it came pretty close!

And yeah the Switch is doing very well for itself but then to be fair Nintendo has consolidated their home and handheld audience so I don't see the success of the Switch having too much of a bearing over how well the PS5 and XSX does.

The PS5 has every chance of being as successful as the PS4 and possibly even more so. There are still many unknowns (launch games, launch price, new services like PS Now, etc) that I wouldn't be making any big calls just yet, and it certainly seems silly to doubt the PlayStation brand after what we've seen over the last 25 years.

Let's be clear: i am super optimist about next gen. I think PS5 in term of profits will be the biggest Playstation ever, and in term of sales will come pretty close to PS4. I also think it'll have the biggest launch ever.

What i mean is that this time the other 2 are gonna be more competitive.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"We consider things strategically but doing our best,"

Not good enough. You're not getting most sales from Era or game enthusiasts. Market the damn console to the masses. Both consoles release at the same time and Microsoft is already beating you with the powerful console message. Which is simple and effective to the general consumer.

It's like Sony is reading too much Era.

Both consoles releasing at the same time is a problem for Microsoft not Sony. The PS3 released 12-15 months later than the 360, was more difficult to develop for, 3rd party games looked and performed worse for awhile on it, was more expensive, and that still didn't stop the PS3 from catching up.

If both consoles release at the same time, the PS5 isn't more expensive, it's going to be close in the US and the UK, and a blow out in almost every other region. The 360 sold almost double what the PS3 did in the US, and the rest of the world sales still made the PS3 tie the 360.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I

The fact that the Switch is doing so well inspite of the PS4 dominating shows that there's room in the market for more than one wildly successful gaming console. Your argument assumes that Switch doing well means that there are millions of people who won't buy a PS5 now, or that of the 110 million people who have bought a PS4 already, many will no longer be interested in a successor because of the Switch.

It makes no sense.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Your argument assumes that Switch doing well means that there are millions of people who won't buy a PS5 now, or that of the 110 million people who have bought a PS4 already, many will no longer be interested in a successor because of the Switch.

It makes no sense.

...really? That's what you think i'm saying? Jesus. Read my comment again.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's borderline inevitable that Microsoft will claw back marketshare. I also think it's borderline inevitable that Sony will sell more console hardware again, because of the sheer inertia being the market leader carries, and the reality that Microsoft still don't really compete in every international market.

How much marketshare Microsoft claw back, will be dependent on the quality of their software, and the execution of their next-gen plans. But simply not self-immolating again like in 2013 will all-but-guarantee some recouping of marketshare.

MS' biggest issue is reaching the rest of the world that for the moment, and for a long time, is mainly dominated by Sony thanks to being very global in their outlook. They have been doing full dubs and translations for their big games in a ton of different languages, giving them proper marketing pushes in developing markets or places that don't always get a focus and in general have been very good about making sure their brand appeals to those not just in the US, and the UK to a lesser extent. That's why MS can sell close to the amount of PS4's in the US and still be trailing by tens of millions of consoles by the end of the generation. They're doing decently in the US but its elsewhere that is going to be a serious battle for them.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I just meant in relation to power, the tf debates, comparisons that keep cropping up.

I don't think a lot of marketing is aimed at the very small portion of gamers like us who post actively in forums and talk about those problems or even know how many TF a system has, much less what a TF even is.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I dont think there is a single person at Sony or Microsoft that expects the PS5 to sell less... at least before they launch.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if the people taking this quote as a sign of arrogant Sony's return are memeing or not. Like, this is a very reasonable response to that question. It isn't even vaguely arrogant.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Personally I don't get the marketing strategy at all. I know it didn't unfold how they wanted it to, but this is worse than I expected. Im sure the next few months will be great, but up until now? Jeez.

How do you know it didn't unfold how they wanted it to? Perhaps this is what they wanted. My guess is if they want to blow people's minds with a few packed events they should wait for the best possible time, closer to launch. Apple announces and markets new iPhones weeks before launch. Is this bad marketing strategy?

With all respect to Xbox, they are the ones who have things to prove. Honestly, Sony needs one event before launch: "here is the trailer for Horizon 2. Here is the trailer for the new God of War. And here is the console." Done. (Not saying this is how it's going to go, just an example).

I get people are impatient to see what Sony has planned - I am too. But the fact they have been silent so far is not bad marketing strategy. Why would they say anything now? PS4 is still not done, believe it or not - it is very much alive with what is possibly its biggest title launching in a month, and then following with another big, first party exclusive. The Sony brand is alive and well - even if they are not talking about PS5 much. And then, once the hype of these new titles settles in - they show us what's next. People have to realize, Microsoft is rushing to talk about Series X not because that is "good marketing strategy" but because, well, they don't have that much else to talk about at this point. And this is not a jab at them, they are doing a good job, but it is how it is.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't say that I don't share the sentiment of the shareholder in this case. It's so weird that we talked so much about ps5 but we hardly saw any games or the console itself.

But you do you, Sony.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sony showed PS4 at E3 first. If E3 were to happen this year we still aren't late to see the PS5.

Destin715

May 14, 2020
How do you know it didn't unfold how they wanted it to? Perhaps this is what they wanted. My guess is if they want to blow people's minds with a few packed events they should wait for the best possible time, closer to launch.

Thanks for the response and the interesting points.

When I said it didn't unfold how they wanted it to I was referring to the virus situation - it may be very well that the overall strategy was the same or not changed too much but, at the very least, we all know /some/ things have changed between all the companies.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sony showed PS4 at E3 first. If E3 were to happen this year we still aren't late to see the PS5.

Hell, Microsoft didn't show anything on Xbox One until around this time in 2013. People need to relax. The lead up to next generation is unconventional but folks need to stop acting like the sky is falling and next gen is doomed. At some point soon the floodgates will open and we'll see the games, console, pricing etc.

It's happening. Just need some goddamn patience. Microsoft and Sony know what they're doing. Not sure why everyone here is suddenly a backseat qualified marketer, developer and PM rolled into one.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sony is the one that has the most to lose on this transition.
I hope they farewell, mainly because I love god of war. But let's see and wait.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony is the one that has the most to loose on this transition.
I hope they farewell, mainly because I love god of war. But let's see and wait.
Not really.

I mean yes from one perspective they are the market leader and so they could lose that which I'm sure they would hate but with Microsoft, can they really afford another disappointing generation?

Both companies have a lot to lose, just in different ways.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what the actual reasoning is to delay/leave information so late in contrast to the Xbox. Last minute changes? Things not entirely ready? It cannot be by design.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say that I don't share the sentiment of the shareholder in this case. It's so weird that we talked so much about ps5 but we hardly saw any games or the console itself.

But you do you, Sony.

I really don't understand what difference it makes when we see them. It's not like they're not going reveal everything with ample time before launch. What exactly would anyone be doing with all the information right now other than be waiting for release ?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Not really.

I mean yes from one perspective they are the market leader and so they could lose that which I'm sure they would hate but with Microsoft, can they really afford another disappointing generation?

Both companies have a lot to lose, just in different ways.
Hardware sales are a bit less important to MS now. They want subscription numbers. Game Pass, their game streaming service, xbox live gold, and whatever else. With all their games coming to PC and some of the early life of Xbox Series X sharing games with Xbox One, it will result in less Xbox Series X than it could be if it had games only available for it. Though this seems like a strategy Microsoft see a lot of potential in if it works well.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I wonder what the actual reasoning is to delay/leave information so late in contrast to the Xbox. Last minute changes? Things not entirely ready? It cannot be by design.

The keyword there is: "in contrast to Xbox"

It's more likely than not that Sony had its own planned approach that was distinctly different from Xbox's to begin with, and just because Xbox came out the gate swinging with more frequent updates doesn't somehow mean that they will change to follow suit.

And secondly, what a lot of people don't get - is that, when it comes to software reveals, things like demos and trailers take a long time to make. Devs speak all the time about the need to pivot significant resources to prepare assets for E3, and going digital doesn't change that. If Sony plans to do a sizable reveal of games in June, the decision to reveal those games were made very early to give studios time to actually prepare trailers and shit.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hardware sales are a bit less important to MS now. They want subscription numbers. Game Pass, their game streaming service, xbox live gold, and whatever else. With all their games coming to PC and some of the early life of Xbox Series X sharing games with Xbox One, it will result in less Xbox Series X than it could be if it had games only available for it. Though this seems like a strategy Microsoft see a lot of potential in if it works well.
Very true but that doesn't go against what I was saying since I didn't mention console sales.

They do of course have gamepass as a backup so it doesn't really matter if people do go next gen with them as much since it still works for xbo and pc. They do run the risk of losing out to people who decide to go next gen and chose the PS5 as their main platform. How many people will be willing to stay subscribed to gamepass if they have moved onto another platform full time?

Interesting times to say the least though.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Quite simply:

Sony know the strength of their brand is hugely stronger than Microsofts internationally.

They also know unless there is some kind of catastrophe they will definitely outsell Microsoft on consoles this generation.

So to ask the question of Sony "why aren't you pushing your marketing as hard as Microsoft?" is weird because their response would obviously be "why would we need to?"

The danger for Sony is if they miss the fight going on the next battle field i.e: cloud and streaming as opposed to concentrating on destroying the field in the current console battle.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I like how a measured and careful strategy with a wait and see approach in these uncertain times is called arrogant.