• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Well MS did alot of marketing recently and looks what happens when they overpromise and under-delivered on their latest presentation. Meanwhile Epic did a short demo where they stated that the demo is running on the PS5; the internet went nut and that video is still currently trending at no.1 in my country. Sony marketing approach is akin to fine dining where less is more and MS approach is similar a full on buffet. Of course we are not sure which is best in the long term but the Playstation brand is no joke especially outside of the USA.

You can say this a million times but a U.S centric, English dominated forum will never truly comprehend that.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's marketing has been fine.

They upload a logo and get insane engagement.

They show off a controller and get ridiculous engagement.

Epic show off their new engine running on a PS5 and it kills the internet.

Microsoft wish they were generating this hype doing next to nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
"We consider things strategically but doing our best,"

Not good enough. You're not getting most sales from Era or game enthusiasts. Market the damn console to the masses. Both consoles release at the same time and Microsoft is already beating you with the powerful console message. Which is simple and effective to the general consumer.

It's like Sony is reading too much Era.
those people aren't paying attention until the system has a date and closer to launch.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
should reeeeeally read the quote in context. Sales will determine if they've done a good or bad job promoting their new console.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Xbox is the Sporting CP of gaming so... no worries.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Three out of four PlayStation consoles have sold more than 100 million.

I firmly believe we'll be adding a fourth one to that exclusive group in seven years time.

There's nothing silly or arrogant about what me or Sony say.

See?

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
I'm sure PS5 is going to sell gangbusters, but that being said I don't think that is a metric Microsoft is going to use to measure its success against.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Many people on this forum are clueless when it comes to business based on some responses thinking this is "arrogant"

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Ultimately when news drops it's a huge deal. Whenever Sony has their game event it will be incredibly hyped. So while we may want more transparency and more consistent information that doesn't mean Sony is a rewind up the PS5 launch.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Xbox not having the brand recognition worldwide is part of the reason they transitioned to also being on PC. There's a lot of countries they'll just never sell that well in, even if they throw a ton of marketing and focus at it. But if their games are on PC they don't have to worry about selling consoles there to tap into the gaming audience. PC will cannibalize some console sales, but probably opens way more people to them than they'd otherwise have if they focused only on consoles.

I think Sony's marketing of PS5 is fine. They're tapping into that desire that people want to know more, and it builds a lot of hype even if there's a little frustration with it.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest issue is no true exclusives for xbox, its true success will be a cross platform ecosystem, not a single consoles sales. Its kind of a given we're looking at PS5 being 100M+ again, and xbox being around half that.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Sony's marketing in a nutshell:
4j4F.gif

Maybe they just took a page out of the Nintendo's handbook (not a first) and saw how simple they handled the reveal and the release of the Switch (Announcement, Console/Game in depth showing and Release all within 5 months).

Oct 29, 2017
They have an advantage and they haven't fucked up.

This the goal is not to fuck up.

If they keep this up their sales are going to be more than fine.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're conflating marketing strategy with arrogance, you're looking at it all wrong (and emotionally lol). These companies pay the best people top $$$ to promote and market these consoles in the most effective manner.

Microsoft has been super loud and eager to show off the Xbox Series X because the Xbox One was a disaster for them (relative to their success with the Xbox 360). Of course they want to move on and talk about next-gen.

Sony on the other hand has 2 of the biggest games of the year exclusive to their console (Final Fantasy 7 and The Last of Us 2) and the PS4 is one of the best selling systems of all time. It's in their favour to continue focusing on PS4 until those games are out on the market.

Not to mention, people these days have short attention spans. Xbox Series X reveal is old news now, so PS5 reveal is now what people are anticipating. It's all working in Sony's favour.

Deleted member 66543

Apr 20, 2020
I just don't really understand what's gotten people so worried. Its not like the console is coming tomorrow. We are like 6 months out. Is there really a difference between us knowing details now vs a month from now, other than to quell our hype?

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
Once PS turns on the marketing machine, they won't stop. Not only are they the market leader, but they are also the most popular brand.

As soon as they show what the console will actually look like and a couple of exclusives, they are going to crash the internet.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
As much as I know this won't happen I really wish Sony would aim to manufacture 30 million units in the first year because I am certain with every fiber in my body that they'd sell all of them. Doing so would help minimize stock shortages and get the PS5 community off to an incredibly strong start.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't really understand what's gotten people so worried. Its not like the console is coming tomorrow. We are like 6 months out. Is there really a difference between us knowing details now vs a month from now, other than to quell our hype?
Yeah the difference is they'll complain more AFTER the reveal about lack of announcements if the console is revealed early. xD

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
If "Arrogant Sony is back" is what people are divining from this response, they will have had to be looking for that to begin with.

This is a totally reasonable response.

Sony and MS are not in the same boat, so why would they go about marketing their next gen hardware the same way? It defies reason.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's working. The posts with the logo and controller were everywhere. The Unreal demo was just a tech demo and got more hype than an entire showcase for Xbox.

As long as the price isn't ridiculous and the games look good, it'll be a success.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Sony's marketing has been fine.

They upload a logo and get insane engagement.

They show off a controller and get ridiculous engagement.

Epic show off their new engine running on a PS5 and it kills the internet.

Pretty much this...they know they can release whatever they want, whenever they want and it'll do huge numbers and have a ton of buzz.

It's actually smart IMO.

Once they have a proper reveal and show PS5 games that's all any one is going to be talking about...they are building the wave to next gen.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PlayStation is the stronger brand therefore it's guaranteed to sell the most!!

Look how that worked out for the Xbox One in the US. 7 years later, it's still incredibly important to have strong messaging and a competitive price. Those were key components in Sony's winning strategy this gen.
Considering that even after cutting off Kinect they were left with an equally priced console with much inferior performance and less critical/commercial first party hits throughout the generation, it's not much of an exaggeration to say that Xbox's brand in the US is the only reason they sold enough for Microsoft not to throw in the towel on the division altogether.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... Sony could have a bunch of mediocre PS5 launch titles and it would still sell bucket loads.

The success of the PS4 has guaranteed the success of the PS5, no matter what Microsoft achieves.

This ain't no PS3, and look how well that recovered.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this...they know they can release whatever they want, whenever they want and it'll do huge numbers and have a ton of buzz.

It's actually smart IMO.

Once they have a proper reveal and show PS5 games that's all any one is going to be talking about...they are building the wave to next gen.
On the other hand is good MS is quite agressive and healthy again, or we would get a 8 tflops PS5 without many customizations and PS ps plus would be 100 dollars per year.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I'm comparing the views of the last Inside Xbox, Paper Mario reveal and GoT SoP, from each respective companies' main Twitter and Youtube Account
Inside Xbox between Twitter and Youtube has 3 million views.

GoT is around 1.8 millions views between both of them. A single game from this gen.

Paper Mario from Youtube alone has 3.8 million views and 3.2 million from twitter.

Both Nintendo and Sony are from a single game. One is a new Ip and the other a mid tier one.

Microsoft went to unveil next gen and had a huge Ip in their show, Assassin's Creed.

Just wait until Sony unleashes everything.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's marketing in a nutshell:
4j4F.gif

Maybe they just took a page out of the Nintendo's handbook (not a first) and saw how simple they handled the reveal and the release of the Switch (Announcement, Console/Game in depth showing and Release all within 5 months).
No one wants a long ass lead up and release cycle except people on gaming forums. It's a different time. Nintendo kinda killed it with the quicker announce/release.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, he is right. They have two major first party games to be released on the current gen soon. Their control reveal etc garnered insane buzz. UE5 demo was all over the place with PS5 named plastered all over it. Not like the console is launching next month lol. They have plenty of time to kick up the marketing

and who the heck are we kidding, it's gonna be sold out at the start anyways
All the doom and gloom in the past months that Sony was messing up, now doesn't matter. It's all been erased. Absolute geniuses. Or are they once again lucky as hell? They have garnered control of the next gen narrative doing nothing.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From game enthusiasts. Not even Nintendo have enough fans to sell enough consoles.

Microsoft is leading the marketing of the console effectively. Sony silence is hurting them. Simple as that. We are not talking about people who frequent Era or follow Geoff on Twitter here.
Come on man. Even PS3 managed to outsell Xbox, despite launching a year later. PS5 will do just fine, regardless of Sony's marketing strategy.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Sony's PS5 marketing in a nutshell.

Two different approaches for two different companies in two different spots with two different goals. They'll both be fine.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From game enthusiasts. Not even Nintendo have enough fans to sell enough consoles.

Microsoft is leading the marketing of the console effectively. Sony silence is hurting them. Simple as that. We are not talking about people who frequent Era or follow Geoff on Twitter here.

Based on what exactly ?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Microsoft isn't leading anything. The big portion of gamers are not aware of anything, will know about the systems close or after release. All this talk for months reaches a small portion of the gaming community. Sony's silence is hurting nobody, because if you really care about specs and features, you will take the desicion once you know everything about each option. Not before. If you already decided, is because you already knew what was your preference or choice regardless of the specs and everything else

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
People will read into it what they want I guess. Acting like he just pulled a $599 and people can get another job to pay for it comment.

This was a very conservative business as usual comment.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Another day, another quote on Era taken out of context. He's just literally saying, you'll need to judge us on the sales.

PlayStation already has majority mindshare, Microsoft is in the process of climbing a mountain trying to increase Xbox mindshare, so of course their marketing strategies are going to be entirely different. They're starting from very different positions going from this gen in to the next.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They know they're going to do fine. I think they're still in a cold pricing war.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I don't think one follows the other. Two things can be true at the same time: Sony's marketing for the PS5 was not good and Sony is going to sell every single PS5 it produces. Not to say those things will be the outcome at the end of the day but to answer the question "is Sony's strategy the best strategy possible for PS5" with "wait until we sell out all of the consoles at launch" is a pretty weak argument, imo.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
it's so funny seeing that peeps still have this image/perspective that MS keeps trying super hard and falling short while Sony just trips and falls headfirst into success time after time, and gp is just blindly hypnotised by the Playstation brand through no fault of Sony. lol

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think one follows the other. Two things can be true at the same time: Sony's marketing for the PS5 was not good and Sony is going to sell every single PS5 it produces. Not to say those things will be the outcome at the end of the day but to answer the question "is Sony's strategy the best strategy possible for PS5" with "wait until we sell out all of the consoles at launch" is a pretty weak argument, imo.
Their strategy isn't done yet and will ramp up when it matters. A wait and see the results, then judge is a perfectly fine argument.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Their strategy isn't done yet and will ramp up when it matters. A wait and see the results, then judge is a perfectly fine argument.
I contend it doesn't follow. It's a weak argument because it didn't address the original question. It's essentially trying to end the convo. "oh yeah, well just wait and see" is always a weak argument, imo. Maybe that's just me.

it's so funny seeing that peeps still have this image/perspective that MS keeps trying super hard and falling short while Sony just trips and falls headfirst into success time after time, and gp is just blindly hypnotised by the Playstation brand through no fault of Sony. lol
Sony has built an absolute juggernaut of a brand and they can definitely sustain much more in the way of missteps with the PS5 compared to the needle MS needs to thread with Xbox, imo. Given the thread a few weeks ago that saw the overwhelming majority of people say there is pretty much nothing that could them to switch from Playstation to Xbox, I think it's a fair assessment. At least with regards to the gaming enthusiasts.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I contend it doesn't follow. It's a weak argument because it didn't address the original question. It's essentially trying to end the convo. "oh yeah, well just wait and see" is always a weak argument, imo. Maybe that's just me.
The questions doesn't deserve a answer more than that. Their marketing strategy has barely started at this point. What people think now is worthless, what has or hasn't been said at this point means very little, as the console is months away still and will be heavily marketed in that time. Being first to the starting line doesn't make much of a difference. Both console marketing will be defined in the next few months and leading up to release, not by the last 6 months.