• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Dude you clearly have no idea on how marketing works

I can back this up!

Anyways, Sony's strategy has been pretty clear to me for awhile: they were lining up the tech talks for GDC (Cernys talk and the Unreal 5 demo would have been a great compliment to each other) and then the actual games would have been a "See you in June!" moment, which sounds like we are getting.

Microsoft's strategy has been to get out there early and hammer the message home as much as they can from then until launch.

The thing is: both strategies are completely valid and have their positives and negatives. Whomever "wins" this "marketing war" will not be decided until well after launch, so getting caught up in who is "winning" the day to day is foolish and stupid. It's the equivalent of making fun of the other team when you are up by a touchdown in the first quarter...still a lot of game to be played.

Don't panic folks, both marketing plans for both companies will be up to full speed by late July/early August. Just be patient :)

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We consider things strategically but doing our best,"

Not good enough. You're not getting most sales from Era or game enthusiasts. Market the damn console to the masses. Both consoles release at the same time and Microsoft is already beating you with the powerful console message. Which is simple and effective to the general consumer.

It's like Sony is reading too much Era.

Lol nigga, it's May.

If Sony knocks their reveal out of the park next month, it won't matter who got their message out first.

Y'all gotta relax.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
A lot of People i know are way too hyped up for the PS5. They don't care if the XBOX SX is more powerful or not, they love the brand PlayStation and will buy it no matter what. I even know people that skipped the entire PS4 generation and are now coming back with the PS5. I think Sony knows that the Ps5 will be sold like hotcakes, as long as the price is bearable.
That's interesting. I wonder why they would have skipped the PS4 but are excited about the PS5. IF they love the PS brand why wouldn't they have bought a PS4? It has had a ton of great games and they missed out on them all?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Is this a attempt to derail this thread?
Excuse me?
It's pointing out the obvious engagement differences between both consoles.

A logo was shown and got how many millions of likes on Instagram? They(Sony) don't have to market like Xbox does because their fans do the marketing for them.

Seeing how the thread seems to be attempting to paint Sony as arrogant when it's anything but that also annoyed me. All they were saying is "wait and see" basically.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Said no one.

I haven't come across one person who suggests Sony is doomed. I think some of you are turning some valid criticism into something that isn't there.

Yes some people like myself did not like Sony's last E3 event or them cancelling E3 or other events (before the pandemic), or them drip feeding information like a logo and eye-rolling at all the insane comments about how that shut down the internet with so many views. But I don't recall anyone suggesting Sony is doomed because of it. What I have read, which of course is met with a lot of pessimism, is that Microsoft is better prepared this time around.
I'm talking about in terms of the upcoming gen. I have seen plenty of people act like that playstation are in risk of ruining their chances of 'winning' next gen because of the differences in both companies approach to marketing their next consoles.

Also, to follow your tone:
"which of course is met with a lot of pessimism, is that Microsoft is better prepared this time around." - Said no one

All I ever see if people acknowledge that MS are on track to perform better next gen than they did this one, because of the work they have done to change company direction.

Finally, not sure what your points are regarding Sonys previous E3s is about, that's got nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is fine. They could say nothing and still remain the dominant player because they're Sony. If they went on a marketing blitz they would be the talk of the town. If they remain silent and give out scraps they would be the talk of the town. Next gen hype is in full swing and there are way more Sony fans (and potential fans ) in the world. They're just the bigger brand. I don't think their announcement strategy matters much at all honestly.

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
People also seems to forget that the xbox one was showed in may 2013 and the ps4 in june 2013, so their isn't even much changed. And the long wait for the switch annoucement didn't stop people to be excited.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I can back this up!

Anyways, Sony's strategy has been pretty clear to me for awhile: they were lining up the tech talks for GDC (Cernys talk and the Unreal 5 demo would have been a great compliment to each other) and then the actual games would have been a "See you in June!" moment, which sounds like we are getting.

Microsoft's strategy has been to get out there early and hammer the message home as much as they can from then until launch.

The thing is: both strategies are completely valid and have their positives and negatives. Whomever "wins" this "marketing war" will not be decided until well after launch, so getting caught up in who is "winning" the day to day is foolish and stupid. It's the equivalent of making fun of the other team when you are up by a touchdown in the first quarter...still a lot of game to be played.

Don't panic folks, both marketing plans for both companies will be up to full speed by late July/early August. Just be patient :)

Thank you, someone gets it. I keep seeing posts about how Sony is fucking up their marketing but the ultimate decider of whether or not a company has fucked up their marketing is in the product's sales. However so far, their approach is clearly working for them if the social media and web metrics are anything to go by.

Likewise with Microsoft, their approach is working for them relative to where they were/are in the market right now. Far stronger and concise message than last time, and aside from the minor slip up with the recent Inside Xbox show, momentum is clearly building. Not sure why so many people here think they're backseat marketers and developers just because they post on a forum and like videogames. It's puzzling.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I think even though people may think they are worse off financially, because of unemployment, because of the economy, or exchange rates outside US or other factors, people are still going to buy entertainment no matter what. It gets people through difficult times. That's why we get memes of uni/college students eating instant noodles while gaming on a high end PC.

PS5 could be $599 and it will sell out the first six months. After that, the price could be an issue. But not launch.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I would love to see an Apple like reveal with an aggressive launch date. It would definitely make up for the relative silence.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
So I was going to make a post about "forget ps5, a good price drop on ps4 and it will do bank."

So I started looking up ps4 prices right now. sold out. sold out. $300! sold out. Bundles available from $400! This is on both slim and pro. yeah, I think people might be thirsty as fuck.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation is the stronger brand therefore it's guaranteed to sell the most!!

Look how that worked out for the Xbox One in the US. 7 years later, it's still incredibly important to have strong messaging and a competitive price. Those were key components in Sony's winning strategy this gen.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
It's Microsoft who has something to prove, which is why they won't stop talking about next gen.
Sony just has to stick to whatever they have planned. A June reveal and November release is completely normal, I don't know how this could 'hurt' Sony.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he is right. They have two major first party games to be released on the current gen soon. Their control reveal etc garnered insane buzz. UE5 demo was all over the place with PS5 named plastered all over it. Not like the console is launching next month lol. They have plenty of time to kick up the marketing

and who the heck are we kidding, it's gonna be sold out at the start anyways

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I thought sensationalism here was not tolerated? The premise of this thread is kinda bogus.

Deleted member 65994

Banned
Apr 14, 2020

Look how that worked out for the Xbox One in the US. 7 years later, it's still incredibly important to have strong messaging and a competitive price. Those were key components in Sony's winning strategy this gen.
Pretty sure the strenght of the xbox brand in the usa, is why Xbox is still around.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Xbox 360 dominated the US by a large margin over the PS3. PS4 outsold Xbox One. Giving up a significant market share is not really good.

Pretty sure the strenght of the xbox brand in the usa, is why Xbox is still around.

Xbox brand may be stronger, but PS4 outsold Xbox One. And that's my point. Brand will get your foot in the door, but you still need a competitive offering.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Sony is fine. Unless MS really starts to push for market share in non UK Euro and Japan, they have nothing to worry about.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Xbox 360 dominated the US by a large margin over the PS3. PS4 outsold Xbox One. Giving up a significant market share is not really good.
That also had a lot to do with Sony's fuckups with the PS3 and turning it around with the PS4. Just because PS4 sold more doesn't mean Xbox did badly, as the console market keeps getting bigger despite the death of consoles narrative, and Xbox is still a very strong brand in the US and the rest of the American continent.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I know Sony will sell lots of consoles, but tell me about services. Are you planning on expanding PS Now or will it be more of the same?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That also had a lot to do with Sony's fuckups with the PS3 and turning it around with the PS4. Just because PS4 sold more doesn't mean Xbox did badly, as the console market keeps getting bigger despite the death of consoles narrative, and Xbox is still a very strong brand in the US and the rest of the American continent.

You're continuing to illustrate my point. Sony absolutely messed up with the messaging and price around the PS3, and sales were impacted by it. Microsoft messed up with messaging and price on the Xbox One, and sales were impacted by it. Brand will only get you so far in the market.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
You're continuing to illustrate my point. Sony absolutely messed up with the messaging and price around the PS3, and sales were impacted by it. Microsoft messed up with messaging and price on the Xbox One, and sales were impacted by it. Brand will only get you so far in the market.
Brand is the reason ps3 recovered (EU and to a lesser extent Asia) and Xbox consolidated in America after the 360.
Of course marketing has a large impact in sales, but it's not the only determining factor.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The concern in here is unnecessary. The PS5 will sell just fine, guys. Marketing in May won't make a bit of difference in the long run.

Xbox brand may be stronger, but PS4 outsold Xbox One. And that's my point. Brand will get your foot in the door, but you still need a competitive offering.

The Wii was the best selling generation 7 console in the US, not the Xbox 360. It didn't "dominate" the US.

The Xbox brand isn't stronger worldwide or in the US. What would make you think that?

Deleted member 65994

Banned
Apr 14, 2020

Ofcourse your product need to be competing, your brand popularity is even attached to the quality of your products. It's also way more effective to market a quality product instead of a dull.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't read that as, "Just you wait until you see the sales (smug)," and more, "I can't comment on the success of our strategy until we see the sales."

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
You know, it's possible for something to have poor marketing and still have it sell well through word of mouth and reputation.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

You may not realise it but you're actually strengthening peoples argument about how well playstation will do, regardless of them leaving their reveal longer than before.

The only real territories that Xbox has strength in is the US and UK and regardless of their complete fuck up at the start of this gen, they still did well there. Not as good of course but we'll enough to keep them going.

Even if somehow playstation was still damaged by a late reveal, they are strong in many more countries than xbox and are truly a global platform so the potential damage would be even smaller.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii was the best selling generation 7 console in the US, not the Xbox 360. It didn't "dominate" the US.

The Xbox brand isn't stronger worldwide or in the US. What would make you think that?

I'm clearly comparing Xbox 360 vs PS3, and Xbox One vs PS4.

You may not realise it but you're actually strengthening peoples argument about how well playstation will do, regardless of them leaving their reveal longer than before.

The only real territories that Xbox has strength in is the US and UK and regardless of their complete fuck up at the start of this gen, they still did well there. Not as good of course but we'll enough to keep them going.

Even if somehow playstation was still damaged by a late reveal, they are strong in many more countries than xbox and are truly a global platform so the potential damage would be even smaller.

Of course the PS5 is going to sell well. But it's not going to sell as well as the PS4 if it doesn't have clear messaging and a competitive price.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's going to sell like hotcakes. So I'm not "concerned" about that.
But being into games for going on 30 years now, I have not seen a big player in the industry handle marketing for a big new gen thing in this way and personally, it does not work for me. I know many are fine with it, but this to screams "arrogant Sony is back". If their console is releasing this fall, you'd think at 6 months out we would have more than a tech deep dive boring spec talk an a logo, yet here we are.

I will buy a PS5 (unless launch games aren't must haves) so they don't NEED to do anything to convince me. But I don't like seeing Sony doing so little to promote their big new thing. I like the spectacles, press conferences, blowouts, etc. Generating hype by showing THEY are excited about it, and passing that along to us, is something we are used to having - and I don't actually understand what the logical reasoning is for them to be so quiet up until now. What positive comes from keeping your mouth shut and letting MS run wild with promotion? I'm sure they have a reason, but as a consumer, I want more that what they are doing. Will we get it? Does Sony care about me and my feelings (lolol)? Nope not a chance so OK guys, you got me, but I truly hope the perceived arrogance of the last couple years does not mean *that* Sony is back. It sucked during the PS3 years (and we all saw how that started), and it sucks now. Give us something to be excited about!

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It's Microsoft who has something to prove, which is why they won't stop talking about next gen.
Sony just has to stick to whatever they have planned. A June reveal and November release is completely normal, I don't know how this could 'hurt' Sony.
Also why they keep promoting services over games. They are lacking where it matters. I don't care if your 1st party games go to a service day 1 if you've had 1-3 exclusives a year most of the gen.

It's going to sell like hotcakes. So I'm not "concerned" about that.
But being into games for going on 30 years now, I have not seen a big player in the industry handle marketing for a big new gen thing in this way and personally, it does not work for me. I know many are fine with it, but this to screams "arrogant Sony is back". If their console is releasing this fall, you'd think at 6 months out we would have more than a tech deep dive boring spec talk an a logo, yet here we are.

I will buy a PS5 (unless launch games aren't must haves) so they don't NEED to do anything to convince me. But I don't like seeing Sony doing so little to promote their big new thing. I like the spectacles, press conferences, blowouts, etc. Generating hype by showing THEY are excited about it, and passing that along to us, is something we are used to having - and I don't actually understand what the logical reasoning is for them to be so quiet up until now. What positive comes from keeping your mouth shut and letting MS run wild with promotion? I'm sure they have a reason, but as a consumer, I want more that what they are doing. Will we get it? Does Sony care about me and my feelings (lolol)? Nope not a chance so OK guys, you got me, but I truly hope the perceived arrogance of the last couple years does not mean *that* Sony is back. It sucked during the PS3 years (and we all saw how that started), and it sucks now. Give us something to be excited about!
Well most of the gen people have been telling them not to unveil things too early. If June is true is 4-5 months bad?

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sony, I will have to wait for a sale.
the dollar is way too steep compared to my local currency (brazilian reais).

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Of course the PS5 is going to sell well. But it's not going to sell as well as the PS4 if it doesn't have clear messaging and a competitive price.
That's fair enough but we have no evidence that they don't have that. The main complaint seems to be that they haven't said enough compared to xbox and thus its damaging for their launch but none of that will matte once they have their event shortly since people will then know exactly what the offer is.