• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Sony's next-generation plans have come up over the past few months when we dug up multiple patents regarding PlayStation VR 2 and PlayStation 5. Today, we have found probably the most interesting patent yet. The information is quite simple yet it shows Sony's plans to cast a broad net over the augmented and virtual reality market.

On December 26, 2019, Sony Interactive Entertainment filed a patent for "GESTURE-BASED USER INTERFACE FOR AR AND VR WITH GAZE TRIGGER." The patent reveals the company's efforts to create a user-interface for VR/AR gaming devices as well as other consumer electronics. The UI supports hand-gestures and movements. Some of the gesture examples can be seen in the image below.

The user interface is designed to support a multitude of devices including PlayStation consoles, consoles created by Microsoft and Nintendo or other manufacturers, VR headsets, AR headsets, portable televisions, computers, laptops, and tablets. It seems the UI can be modified to serve any device you would want. The UI is compatible with Linux, systems from Microsoft, and Unix operations systems among other software.

I guess we are going to start seeing some VR/AR UI designs being incorporated into some video games using various Microsoft and Nintendo devices. Perhaps we get something new from this?

Close this if old.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
that title should really be changed to reflect that this is a patent
anyway here is the quote as the article for some reason didnt quote it.
unknown.png

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and MS's strategy for next gen are going to be more similar than most realize.
Oh shit....

Sorry Matt. Putting you on the spot now, lol.

Let me ask this: will we know more at CES or the PlayStation Meeting in Feb?

Because the very first question in my head was...MS AND Nintendo???

In what way??

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
Sony and MS's strategy for next gen are going to be more similar than most realize.

news.microsoft.com

Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership - Stories

Companies to collaborate on new cloud-based solutions for gaming experiences and AI solutions TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash. — May 16, 2019 — Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer...

Despite fanboy wars on gaming sites... Its in all 3 companies interest to try keep google/amazon/apple out of the game

Microsoft games on ps5... Sony vr on xbox... I would never count it out

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
news.microsoft.com

Companies to collaborate on new cloud-based solutions for gaming experiences and AI solutions TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash. — May 16, 2019 — Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer...

Despite fanboy wars on gaming sites... Its in all 3 companies interest to try keep google/amazon/apple out of the game

Funny you say MS games on PS5...I was just thinking wtf if Gamepass was available on PS5. The next gen thread and the whole github results thing had my wheels spinning.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Alright I respect how SONY is handling VR, and this could be an opportunity for Microsoft and Nintendo.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like something that will be pretty superficial in practice considering it doesn't seem like they needed to seek permission. Something simple like compsiting an AR AstroBot on the screen on a Smash Bros. game observing the battle in AR.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
news.microsoft.com

Godspeed, may they be successful. I really don't want Google, Amazon, or Apple in gaming either...

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit....

Sorry Matt. Putting you on the spot now, lol.

Let me ask this: will we know more at CES or the PlayStation Meeting in Feb?

Because the very first question in my head was...MS AND Nintendo???

In what way??

I keep seeing people talk about a February PlayStation meeting but was anything ever confirmed or rumored? I know that is how the PS4 was first announced back in 2013, but it feels a bit pre-mature to say that there will be a similar event in February.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Currently we have no idea if Sony decide to do the PlayStation meeting in Feb. I hope they will do it.
I keep seeing people talk about a February PlayStation meeting but was anything ever confirmed or rumored? I know that is how the PS4 was first announced back in 2013, but it feels a bit pre-mature to say that there will be a similar event in February.
You're right.

I should have said...is there a chance we hear more soon?

The thread title made me do a double take. And was not prepared for a wild Matt sighting.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of that is going to be determined by sales. If Valve ports Half-Life Alyx to PS5/PSVR and it sells like 10 million PSVR units in 2020 and 10 million full retail copies of the game that will shift Sony's strategy a bit and pretty far from the Xbox strategy. A lot of people were sticking with the 4.2M number in sales PSVR had in March, but apparently before Christmas sales of this year PSN had 6.2 million active PSVR users. My guess is that Sony will be announcing 8 million PSVR units sold around the time IronMan is released and they are announcing PS5 as well as possibly a PS5 game or two potentially including some PSVR game announcement, maybe Farpoint 2 and I suspect Half-Life Alyx. There will be a handful of games that will just basically set PSVR onto the path of being owned by 50% or more of Playstation userbase.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
This gen is the real fight for the future gaming market. It will be interesting to see how things go down. It's also why it's so strange that Sony low-balled the hardware specs for PS5, when it's so crucial to stay on top this generation.