• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I'm surprised people are spending money on pokémon go
its one of the fairest mobile games and shouldn't ever need it unless you live in the middle of nowhere, in which case id be surprised you're still playing

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The anime they mentioned is an adaptation of one of the 3 VN routes. Many people get into the series through various ways but like any series, going from the start would be best. In an ideal world you'd read the VN, but some tend to be rather averse to that idea. It's unfortunately a little difficult and confusing to explain how to get into Stay Night through anime just because of the history of its adaptations. The best way I can explain it is the VN is something of a horror/mystery, with slice of life. It has 3 separate routes that are meant to be played sequentially, each one examining the themes of the story and drawing out the mystery of the setting/characters. It goes Fate-> Unlimited Blade Works-> Heaven's Feel. You don't really get the complete idea of the series without seeing all the routes. I think the VN is very interesting in this regard.

Fate route can be viewed through the Fate/stay night (2006) anime. It incorporates some elements from other routes but is otherwise the only way to see that route. Despite its somewhat poor reputation online for quality it has genuine merits of its own. UBW route has an anime from a different studio, Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works (2014). As the studio animated the prequel series prior to this, it ends up having some references to it that will probably confuse you. The same studio is also finishing its trilogy series of films adapting the Heaven's Feel route. A little rushed in that it loses a lot of some characters' moments, but still high quality and importantly it is the only way to watch that route.

Of course if you do play the VN there are great install guides online that show you how to apply the patch based on your preference whether you want voice acting, censoring the H content, etc. Sorry for the intimidating post! Some make fun of Fate for being confusing to get into, but really it's just important context to guide you.
There's also a "sequel" VN Fate Hollow/Ataraxia (which is a fan disk) which is where the vast majority of back story and personality quirks that form the basis of the spin offs and expanded material that involve said characters (F/O is one such spin off but those characters make a very small portion of the overall cast). THis VN has no currentl adaptations.

Then there's the prequel LN that was adapted in anime by the same studio that did the UBW series and HF movies.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they are pretty terrible. They(like their predecessor Tsukihime) were inserted there to appeal to the demographic that was felt best suited to gain traction in the doujinsoft community back when the creators of Fate were up and coming. That's what you did for visual novels. Of course as they got popular and that stuff stopped being a neccesary evil, they dropped it altogether for mainstream success. The non sex version of the VN is just as compelling a read. Of course there are some elements lost in the final slice of the story due to the gratuitous being dialed back, but it gets the point across fine.

So I love rom com anime/manga (even ones with fan service). I've been interested in VN, but no clue what to start with. This seems like top of the crop. Is this a good starting point with the genre and is there romance in series after they gutted the VN of that non romantic shit tier content?

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nasuverse has things like using an Aztec god to represent Brazil because he thinks Mexico is in South America and all the countries in South America are the same. It is probably has more absurd examples but this is the one I know of because i am brazilian. "Believable world" is a very big stretch when it is very clear to me that it is made by people with very little knowledge of things that arent from first world countries.

I'm not saying it's accurate to our world nor is it realistic. I was just saying that the world he creates has creative depth and rules that make the people living in it and the stories that are told engaging. There is a lot stupidity in Nasuverse and there's no denying it. But i'm also saying that it's fair to acknowledge the sheer scale and creativity that goes into the world.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
So I love rom com anime/manga (even ones with fan service). I've been interested in VN, but no clue what to start with. This seems like top of the crop. Is this a good starting point with the genre and is there romance in series after they gutted the VN of that non romantic shit tier content?
It's a great VN with a unique narrative structure. There is plenty of cute romantic stuff.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Well there's always the Extella games but they're shit.

They really aren't. First one has middling gameplay, but pretty interesting narrative for what it is. Second game has great gameplay but middling story.

Just because you dislike musou genre, doesn't really mean it's helpful to just mindlessly dismiss em, especially when thread is very clearly talking about different console fate games and people might be interested in checking some out, reading through the thread.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
BIGGEST
GAME
IN
THE WORLD

G20jeO0_d.jpg

images

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. What's the name of this game so I can ensure I don't play it by accident in the future?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the story is primarily ideological character study and romance with some action thrown in occasionally. The fanservice sex scenes that were removed take a tiny portion of the story but the romance itself is a big part.

I'm excited then for sure! The romance stuff (even cheesy) is what I'm in for, I don't really need to see the behind closed doors stuff (especially with the examples shown in this thread lol).

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I'm excited then for sure! The romance stuff (even cheesy) is what I'm in for, I don't really need to see the behind closed doors stuff (especially with the examples shown in this thread lol).
If you manage make it all the way through (the VN is really massive), you'd really enjoy the sequel VN/fandisk Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. It's basically choked to the gills with the fun romcom hijinks with the wrapping of a fairly serious story but it's where most of the characters really come alive due to nature of the set up.

Personally I really enjoyed the characters and the relationships, so really enjoyed the sequel (which is the biggest strength of the franchise and probably part of why grand Order is so big).

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
"You have to read the VN"
*posts a 20 step guide to get it working on a modern PC*

That's all the Fate fans I've met in a nutshell
Unless you're running some off-the-wall distro of Linux or I guess Mac (not sure) there's a pretty damn idiot proof executable to install FS/N with the English fan translation already included. If you don't want the erotic bits (which is understandable) there's maybe 3 steps maxiumum needed to apply the Realta Nue English fan translation to a JP copy of the game.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
based gacha dumpstering """"""""""real""""""""""""""""""""" games

i hope all games become gacha
why wish all games to follow such predatory system? As someone that lives in a third world country where people barely is able to buy normal games gacha gaming becoming default is living hell.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Crazy that Dragon Ball is up there with the big ones. This series seems to only get bigger throughout the years.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's accurate to our world nor is it realistic. I was just saying that the world he creates has creative depth and rules that make the people living in it and the stories that are told engaging. There is a lot stupidity in Nasuverse and there's no denying it. But i'm also saying that it's fair to acknowledge the sheer scale and creativity that goes into the world.
I think creativity and stupidity are inherently opposite but whatever. I guess Fate is big enough that it has creative and good stuff in it(I love Zero), but the expanded universe has so many dumb things that is hard to me to recognize it as creative world.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I think creativity and stupidity are inherently opposite but whatever. I guess Fate is big enough that it has creative and good stuff in it(I love Zero), but the expanded universe has so many dumb things that is hard to me to recognize it as creative world.
Considering Fate/Zero is the worst and dumbest Fate thing you should be fine.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Fate/Zero is the worst and dumbest Fate thing you should be fine.
It isn't as dumb as the thing I meantioned before or things like Sakura clones that let me quote " They symbolize sensuous parts of the female body with Passionlip representing the breasts, Meltlilith representing the feet, and the others representing the eyes, lips, and back "
You can dislike Zero how much you wanr but it was clear in my posts what I was talking avout when said stupidity

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
It isn't as dumb as the thing I meantioned before or things like Sakura clones that let me quote " They symbolize sensuous parts of the female body with Passionlip representing the breasts, Meltlilith representing the feet, and the others representing the eyes, lips, and back "
You can dislike Zero how much you wanr but it was clear in my posts what I was talking avout when said stupidity
A story about sex and how women are twisted by gender roles using characters in a fantastical setting to directly symbolize those themes is not "stupid."

Edgy Hard Man Making Hard decisions being an idiot and unable to go on a walk without a woman dying to make him feel sad is.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A story about sex and how women are twisted by gender roles using characters in a fantastical setting to directly symbolize those themes is not "stupid."
Are you really going to say this? Please dont try to excuse sexist shit like that. Some of these characters are straight nsfw for how gross they are depicted.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna get into it all but never know where to start.
Like the OG stay night then GO?

Most everyone would say the VN. If you don't want to make the time investment, then I'd actually recommend the old 2000s anime. It's a decent (YMMV) adaptation of the Fate route, but it depends on your tolerance for stuff from back then.

After that, go to Zero, then the Unlimited Blade Works anime (NOT the old anime movie, don't even bother with that).

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
You should have mad tolerance for some of these outfits if you think like that
Protip: when a character is intentionally designed to be disturbing looking criticizing them for being disturbing is silly.

Every single female character in Fate/Extra has, you know, goals, and agency. And advances the plot.

Meanwhile. in Fate/Zero there is one female character in it with goals that don't have anything to do with a man, and don't die to make a man sad. And Saber spends the entire narrative being basically dumped on by the author, rendered OOC in comparison to how she is in FSN (Saber was the pragmatic one willing to get her hands dirty in comparison to Shirou's drive to try and just save everyone), and is mocked and laughed at tyrant and rapist tyrant and never given the slightly chance to offer a rebuttal.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Protip: when a character is intentionally designed to be disturbing looking criticizing them for being disturbing is silly.
Them design them to be truly disturbing and not half ass it. Why are the only disturbing parts of the characters are the sizes of their breats and the way they wear clothes? Do something like SMT and really push the disturbing look instead of trying to eat the cake and have it too.
When the only disturbing part of the characters is seen as attractive by huge part of your fanbase maybe it wasnt intentionally designed to be disturbing.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Them design them to be truly disturbing and not half ass it. Why are the only disturbing parts of the characters are the sizes of their breats and the way they wear clothes? Do something like SMT and really push the disturbing look instead of trying to eat the cake and have it too.
I'm sorry, but have you seen the characters you're supposedly complaining about?

Passionlip's breasts are huge to the point of absurdity, not to mention she has giant steel sharp claws bigger than she is for hands. Meltryllis has giant blades for legs and you can't see her hands but are described as being basically vestigial. Both characters are absolutely meant to look weird, disturbing, and offputting, and they act like it before going through their character arcs.

Meanwhile, none of the female characters in FZ have character arcs.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but have you seen the characters you're supposedly complaining about?

Passionlip's breasts are huge to the point of absurdity, not to mention she has giant steel sharp claws bigger than she is for hands. Meltryllis has giant blades for legs and you can't see her hands but are described as being basically vestigial. Both characters are absolutely meant to look weird, disturbing, and offputting, and they act like it before going through their character arcs.

Why you keep mentioning Zero to deflect the problems of the rest of the series? Just because I liked it? Yeah it has its problems too, but at least it doesnt look like something made to appeal to weird audiences like Kaleid Illiner and other stuff of this series.
Anyway read what I wrote, they are supposed to be disturbing but are still attractive for huge part of the Fate fanbase, they are half-assed attempts

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

one of those characters looks like she's 10 and she's basically naked all the time
Come on

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Why you keep mentioning Zero to deflect the problems of the rest of the series?

Because you mentioned you like Zero when it's the worst entry in the series with problems other entries don't have due to being written by Gen Urobochi, so all the other much better entries should be fine.

Yet you continue to ignore the criticisms I'm highlighting to keep beating a dead horse on a single line you've heard about character designs while ignoring context. So I'm done.

one of those characters looks like she's 10 and she's basically naked all the time
Come on

No she doesn't.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how you are a fan of Fate, but can't admit there's tons of creepy shit in it.

I've put over $2000 into the franchise via various means at this point, and even I can admit there are certain aspects to the series I'm sure are illegal in certain countries.

And I don't pay for jpegs of anime girls dammit. I pay for broken units that can make the turn based combat easier.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because you mentioned you like Zero when it's the worst entry in the series with problems other entries don't have due to being written by Gen Urobochi, so all the other much better entries should be fine.

Yet you continue to ignore the criticisms I'm highlighting to keep beating a dead horse on a single line you've heard about character designs while ignoring context. So I'm done.

No she doesn't.
The pictures are quite damning, but hey you do you.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

No she doesn't.
You think Zero is worse than things like Kaleid liner, of course I will be against what you say.