• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I missed that these comments are in the context of a preview of his CES presentation.

For CES, this is cookie-cutter Sony CEO speak. On that kind of stage they have all harped on synergy and making the best of Sony's 'unique' position as a multi-arm entertainment company.

For better or worse they've never quite fully capitalised on that. Sony CEOs have been 'asking' entertainment units to break down silo walls for...well..decades now. New avenues for collaboration might open up under Yoshida - Spiderman already might be the first high profile example of Sony exploiting its position across media in games and maybe that could be a prototype for the future. PSN could perhaps be leveraged for better return on other Sony assets.

But I wouldn't be thinking of Microsoft and its past form when I read this. I would be thinking of the years of successive Sony CEOs saying the same things.

What I think is notably 'new' about Yoshida is that, contrary to some investor expectations, he's doubling down on entertainment content, and not signalling a retreat as some had expected. That's a gamble on longer term value in a streaming age, I guess. Content should be king in these arenas.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
What I think is notably 'new' about Yoshida is that, contrary to some investor expectations, he's doubling down on entertainment content, and not signalling a retreat as some had expected. That's a gamble on longer term value in a streaming age, I guess. Content should be king in these arenas.

Ultimately, unless he puts the performance bonus of his executive team on the there being successful collaboration between the different organisations, it's really hard to induce these kind of change organically. Any large multinational team pretty much already struggle just to deliver their core competencies on its own. Suddenly asking them to double or triple their workload without any sort of major incentive at the business unit level? It's hard.

That being said, it is different from the norm that he's positioning Sony to be an entertainment focused company.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder who will be at stage tomorrow – Kenichiro Yoshida or Kaz. Technically Kaz still at Sony (as Chairman).

It'll be Yoshida of course - he's CEO. This article is a teaser-preview of what he's expected to talk about at CES.

"When Mr. Yoshida takes the stage on Monday ..."

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe even changing "PlayStation Plus" to "Sony Plus" as you include movies and music to try to add some nongamers to that 80+ million.

I don't think many people even connect Sony to movies. Anyway outside of gaming the Sony brand has gotten the "overpriced bit mediocre quality" image that is why Sony mobiles or TVs or other devices sales decline as opposed to 90s and early 2000s where Sony devices still had a high quality image.

A new name not involving Sony or Playstation would probably be a better idea.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If PS+ or some higher tier sub (preferably not that though) that gave me access to a bunch of Sony's other services, something like Amazon Prime, I 'd be pretty happy with that. A Funimation monthly sub, a complete season of one of their shows (unlikely due to how they operate I know) or a movie to fill the PS3/Vita void would be pretty great.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
It'll be Yoshida of course - he's CEO. This article is a teaser-preview of what he's expected to talk about at CES.

"When Mr. Yoshida takes the stage on Monday ..."
So it basically will be his first public appearance (outside of interviews and press conference when they presented him as CEO).
I hope he's a good presenter :)
Hoping kaz shows up. Love him.
Yeah, I love his type of humor :)

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Before they do that I hope they actually revamp PSN because with the current region restrictions, auwful store experience, multiple barriers to even you let you pay, this service cannot compete with serious e-commerce companies out there.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Guess they saw what happened to Spider-Man and how they are essentially leaving money on the table.
Microsoft's biggest problem was putting that stuff at e3. If they saved all the entertainment stuff for something like Ces, there wouldn't have been a backlash about it.
They didn't put that stuff at e3, e3 was all games.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Lol at the takes here. It really isn't any different than what we have now with PS Vue and the tons of streaming apps, they'll probably just get it more streamlined and promote their offerings.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
No thanks.

I don't even interested in these things so, as nothing cames for free in this world, that would mean paying more or having less videogames content, so please, keep Playstation far from the other divisions.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
There are still zero movies or TV shows to be bought in the Swiss PSN store and probably many other countries with a PSN store. Not that it really bothers me anymore, there are enough ways to buy content and they'd probably offer a german or french dubbed version most of the time anyway, but it's still baffling to me, MS has offered that stuff on their store since the early 360 days and they don't even own a movie studio...

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I'm fine with Sony trying to invest more in PSN, as long as the PlayStation division gets focused on the games as it has been during this generation.
And I would not be angry if they exchange the VITA/PS3 games on PS+ for some movies and maybe PSVR games.

PS+ on PS5 could be like this: 2 PS5 Games / 2 PS4 Games (including PSVR) / 2 Movies.

Oct 27, 2017
PS+ gonna start getting less games but will include a "movie of the month" to stream. Will also have a higher tier that additionally includes music (maybe Spotify or something) + TV.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. In this new streaming era, owning content is king. It's the perfect time for Sony to double down on their entertainment assets.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That would be an awesome perk of PS+ but hopefully they aren't just talking about some kind of extra subscription.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, anyone who's buying a PS4 is doing so because they have at least some interest in games. If someone's home entertainment interests are primarily movies and music, then they could get everything they need from a Roku or Fire TV for a fraction of the cost.

They don't need to chase "PlayStation gamers" to bolster PS Vue. On the contrary, they need to appeal to the general consumer who isn't a gamer, but just bought a smart TV or Roku/Fire TV/Apple TV. As I said above, they should drop the PlayStation branding and call it "Sony Vue", as some people automatically dismiss it (compared to Sling TV, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, etc.) because they assume you need to "buy a $400 box" in order to use it.

If Sony's going to continue to be in the business of selling movies and TV shows (through PlayStation Store), then they need to open this content up to smart TVs and streaming media players. I rarely even look at the movie/TV selection on PS Store (let alone buy anything there), because it's simply not competitive with Google or Amazon. Both of these companies have Sony soundly scorched in terms of content, as well as the ability to utilize that content on a wide variety of devices.

As if they weren't key pillars before?

My take is that they're working to have more cohesion between their different entertainment media branches--which can be a good thing, if managed properly. For example, Sony owns game shows like Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. I've wondered for years why Sony themselves never produced really whiz-bang adaptations of those game shows for their own video game systems. They've farmed out the rights to various companies over the years (with varying degrees of success), but never produced their own versions. TV shows like these are an excellent fit for the video game market, but there are also other shows and movies that would not work out well as video games, and vice versa. Sony needs to be very careful not to go overboard and force their media units into low-quality collaborations.
This post just made me realize Sony has their hands in alot of different entertainment areas.

Forgot all about Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.